Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Edel Array Putters . 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

On 3/13/2024 at 12:49 PM, Bucky CC said:

Hoping to get out to the course on Saturday for some more pre-Edel work.  High of 52° with winds 15-20mph.

Indoor work on the Perfect Practice mat continues.  Current record for most made 8 footers in a row is 31.  Next highest after that is in the high teens so I'm not sure what happened to make that many in a row.

Must have something to do with the headcover motivation at the end of the ramp.  You don't mess around with Prison Mike watching you.

IMG_4299.PNG.49716095f1e9f1d017ae29717f7e9424.PNG        PrisonMike.jpg.66615ffee41596e6896fdaf86476487a.jpg

Be careful of those dementors! 

Love the headcover, The Office is my favorite show. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I bet I speak for the other testers when I say that I am getting antsy to get started. Edel’s site says that orders will ship within two weeks, so I am anxiously awaiting that shipping confirmation email.

Planning to get out this weekend with my golf group; would love to have the Edel in hand, but if not, will give me one (hopefully) last opportunity to get a baseline with my gamer. 

Until then, cheers!

IMG_3391.jpeg.d9c04ec0e2f890edcae921d362322760.jpeg

Edited by Prodigal Duffer

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

9 hours ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

I bet I speak for the other testers when I say that I am getting antsy to get started. Edel’s site says that orders will ship within two weeks, so I am anxiously awaiting that shipping confirmation email.

Planning to get out this weekend with my golf group; would love to have the Edel in hand, but if not, will give me one (hopefully) last opportunity to get a baseline with my gamer. 

Until then, cheers!

IMG_3391.jpeg.d9c04ec0e2f890edcae921d362322760.jpeg

Definitely getting antsy.  For a minute there I thought I might be able to start my season this coming Sunday.  Nope, son has a flag football game, so round 1 will be next Sunday.  Maybe, just maybe, it arrives by then...?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

29 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Definitely getting antsy.  For a minute there I thought I might be able to start my season this coming Sunday.  Nope, son has a flag football game, so round 1 will be next Sunday.  Maybe, just maybe, it arrives by then...?

Maybe the Easter bunny will deliver it before your round??? 

looking forward to seeing you guys get these in hand!

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

4 hours ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

With the Edel Array ordered, I thought I'd share some nuances of the fitting process that led to the order of the Array model I've got coming.  I'll do that over a series of posts, first sharing the rotation of gamers I've been working through over the past couple of years:

Gamer Collage.png

From left to right in the pic, an Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, a LAB Mezz Max 1, and an Odyssey White Hot OG Double Wide.  Both Odyssey's are face-balanced and 35", and stock loft and lie.  The LAB is torque-balanced, 69 degree lie, 35".  

I'll first throw out there, I tried the LAB frankly because it was all the rage.  If it works for Lucas Glover it must work for me, or something like that. I have also tried the DF whatever...the large pretzel branding iron thing.  I'm sure I am greatly offending LAB acolytes like @GolfSpy SAM, but I was unimpressed...I struggled mightily with speed control with the LAB (either model), and instead of my typical pull miss, I missed to the right.

As for the Odyssey's, I like them, and I like the feel of the insert.  But, I do tend to miss with a bit of a pull with both of them.  I have been convinced for years that I need a face-balanced putter based on my own feels and perceptions, and these two obviously fit the bill.  But, as I've already documented, I am not the best putter, and it's probably time for a change.  I'll post soon with some Stack Putting assessments demonstrating those struggles with these.

Love it! Lol - While I know for a fact that my pretzel branding iron has completely changed the way I look at putting (25 putts through 18 holes is...evidence enough), I can completely appreciate that it's not for everyone.  STOKED to see what the Edel does for your putting game, and you should probably bring that Tri-Hot to VA, as I rolled one in a pro shop and was super impressed with the feel of it.  I think it might help a little if the DF 2.1 thought it was in danger of getting the boot (it's not).  🙂

Also, and please take this with the grain of salt that comes by default with anything I say, I wonder if you missed right with the LAB (vs. your typical left miss) because you're used to lining up slightly left of target to compensate for your typical pull.  I find that to be pretty fascinating, just from a stats point of view. 

Any idea when the Array will show up? 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Still haven’t heard anything from Edel. Pushing almost three weeks, I think. Fellow testers, have you heard anything?

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

1 hour ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

Still haven’t heard anything from Edel. Pushing almost three weeks, I think. Fellow testers, have you heard anything?

Nothing yet, just patiently waiting. I am going to be playing in Tennessee next weekend, so hopefully they show up this week.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I'm in no rush after waking up to this yesterday.  At least we'll be in the 50's this week so the snow will melt fast.

image.png.00191c188555ea9b18926f9fa5cc25f1.png

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array F-2

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

18 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

I'm in no rush after waking up to this yesterday.  At least we'll be in the 50's this week so the snow will melt fast.

image.png.00191c188555ea9b18926f9fa5cc25f1.png

That is what I do not miss about living in the north. But your summer is far superior to the scorchers down here in Texas.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

On 3/20/2024 at 6:05 AM, GolfSpy AFG said:

With the Edel Array ordered, I thought I'd share some nuances of the fitting process that led to the order of the Array model I've got coming.  I'll do that over a series of posts, first sharing the rotation of gamers I've been working through over the past couple of years:

Gamer Collage.png

From left to right in the pic, an Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, a LAB Mezz Max 1, and an Odyssey White Hot OG Double Wide.  Both Odyssey's are face-balanced and 35", and stock loft and lie.  The LAB is torque-balanced, 69 degree lie, 35".  

I'll first throw out there, I tried the LAB frankly because it was all the rage.  If it works for Lucas Glover it must work for me, or something like that. I have also tried the DF whatever...the large pretzel branding iron thing.  I'm sure I am greatly offending LAB acolytes like @GolfSpy SAM, but I was unimpressed...I struggled mightily with speed control with the LAB (either model), and instead of my typical pull miss, I missed to the right.

As for the Odyssey's, I like them, and I like the feel of the insert.  But, I do tend to miss with a bit of a pull with both of them.  I have been convinced for years that I need a face-balanced putter based on my own feels and perceptions, and these two obviously fit the bill.  But, as I've already documented, I am not the best putter, and it's probably time for a change.  I'll post soon with some Stack Putting assessments demonstrating those struggles with these.

Have you tried changing weights on the soles to counter that dispersion discrepancy? adding/reducing weights on another putter helped me quite a bit. (Only reduced toe side by 5g)

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Have you tried changing weights on the soles to counter that dispersion discrepancy? adding/reducing weights on another putter helped me quite a bit. (Only reduced toe side by 5g)

I haven’t, and I’m glad I didn’t in a way.  Sure that might have helped a bit, but the fitting for the Array demonstrated that these putters just aren’t a good fit from the jump.  More on that soon…

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

So regarding those three gamer putters of mine (Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, LAB Mezz Max, and Odyssey White Hot OG Double Wide), I've been measuring performance with them via Stack Putting.  I'll spare you the full breakdown of Stack Putting if you're not familiar, but it's essentially a putting app within the Stack speed training app. One of the very cool features for a guy like me stuck in the northeast is that you can build a custom putting combine and measure your performance for practice purposes. In my case, I have an elevated platform putting green with a maximum putt of 10 feet, and it does have some slight break to it in some putts. Here's the combine I created, which is an edit of one of the app's baseline combines.

Stack Combine.png

This is only a screen shot (you'd have to scroll to see the full 9-hole combine), but you get the idea...various putt lengths with various breaks. 

Here's a snap shot of my best round with each of those gamers after 10 combines each:

SP Creative Collage.png

From left to right are my best rounds with the Tri-Hot 5K, the White Hot OG, and the LAB Mezz Max.  As you can see, with the two Odyssey putters my speed control is decent to good but I tend to miss left, and with the LAB my speed was off and I tended to push the putt.

Next up, the Array fitting and maybe some insight into why i was missing like this.

Great data! Very excited to see how the Edel stacks up 

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Next up, the Array fitting and maybe some insight into why i was missing like this.

HMMMM;  is it that you can't aim or that you can't putt where you are aiming.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

HMMMM;  is it that you can't aim or that you can't putt where you are aiming.  

You know enough about putting, and Edel fittings, to know that answer.  Scott Fawcett made some videos that I know you've seen talking about how starting a ball on line really isn't that hard.  But Edel isn't shy about their claims that most golfers don't actually know where they're aimed.

You're taking all the suspense out of my next post Chris...

3 hours ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

So regarding those three gamer putters of mine (Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, LAB Mezz Max, and Odyssey White Hot OG Double Wide), I've been measuring performance with them via Stack Putting.  I'll spare you the full breakdown of Stack Putting if you're not familiar, but it's essentially a putting app within the Stack speed training app. One of the very cool features for a guy like me stuck in the northeast is that you can build a custom putting combine and measure your performance for practice purposes. In my case, I have an elevated platform putting green with a maximum putt of 10 feet, and it does have some slight break to it in some putts. Here's the combine I created, which is an edit of one of the app's baseline combines.

Stack Combine.png

This is only a screen shot (you'd have to scroll to see the full 9-hole combine), but you get the idea...various putt lengths with various breaks. 

Here's a snap shot of my best round with each of those gamers after 10 combines each:

SP Creative Collage.png

From left to right are my best rounds with the Tri-Hot 5K, the White Hot OG, and the LAB Mezz Max.  As you can see, with the two Odyssey putters my speed control is decent to good but I tend to miss left, and with the LAB my speed was off and I tended to push the putt.

This is some good stuff! I haven't looked at Stack Putting before, but the geek in me really likes these graphics and numbers and just how this is all laid out. Very cool!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

10 hours ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Stack Combine.png

SP Creative Collage.png

I heard Stack had a new putting app but I haven't looked at it before.  I see they offer a free 30 day trial; I may have to download this once the Edel arrives for some indoor competition.

One of the upsides about living in a northern state where you get 70° days followed by snow is you tend to go a bit stir crazy.  Why is that an upside?  Because the latest snowfall led me to head to my nearest home improvement store and buy 6' x 21' of artificial turf to use in my garage.

IMG_4330.jpg.b81c8e76b13db93a6cd32543723a3c0c.jpg

I put together a makeshift stimpmeter using the ball return from my Perfect Practice mat and my phone as a level to make sure I was at 20° slope when releasing the ball.  It's hard to see in the picture but I also have it marked at 30" to determine where to start the ball from.  Is it perfect?  No, but it's close enough to know approximately what the turf is rolling at.

IMG_4331.jpg.ff20cb55d44f03c2e41ec8e02dbad07f.jpg

I have a PuttOUT that works great for all the straight on putts, but if I want to go from other angles I might have to find a different cup.  Chalk seems to work really well to mark off locations.  I'm thinking of testing left, middle, and right at 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18 feet.  The full length of 21' (or max length of 21.84' for you Pythagorean theorem nerds) may be used as the final challenge tiebreaker.

IMG_4333.jpg.647121d88326259fe53113ec90f8281d.jpg

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array F-2

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Here’s my putting lab, for what it’s worth.  Maybe not the best decision but there’s enough ceiling height to let me use the Stack on it for speed training, so I do.  As a result one of the putts rolls a little funky where I take my stance with the stack.  You know, cuz of all those massive ground reaction forces I generate…

image0.jpeg

You’ll notice a swarm of kids putters and training aids in the corner too.  And this is on the main floor of the house.  My wife is cool like that.

28 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Here’s my putting lab, for what it’s worth.  Maybe not the best decision but there’s enough ceiling height to let me use the Stack on it for speed training, so I do.  As a result one of the putts rolls a little funky where I take my stance with the stack.  You know, cuz of all those massive ground reaction forces I generate…

image0.jpeg

You’ll notice a swarm of kids putters and training aids in the corner too.  And this is on the main floor of the house.  My wife is cool like that.

WOW! Really nice set-up!!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Played 18 today, first time at this course. Greens were quick and extremely contoured. Had a heck of a time out there.

Hoping this is my last round before the Edel ships/arrives. Stats were a bit grim:

IMG_3401.png.33971861e5ad127352c98f8cf549bf5e.png

More puzzling is this:

IMG_3400.png.da4a85d63bbc329e952b628a5a1464b4.png

I felt like several putts (far more than 15%) ran past the hole. 

Based on my SG from short distance, I will probably focus a good amount of my testing on putts of less than 10 feet. 

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

1 minute ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

I felt like several putts (far more than 15%) ran past the hole. 

Did you verify that all putt locations were correct via the dashboard?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Did you verify that all putt locations were correct via the dashboard?

Admittedly, I did not. I don’t update it as I play, and I wouldn’t trust my memory for every hole. I just pulled up the dashboard, and I can’t zoom in far enough to determine the accuracy. I use Shot Scope’s manual putting, so I would think (hope) it’s getting it right.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

40 minutes ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

Admittedly, I did not. I don’t update it as I play, and I wouldn’t trust my memory for every hole. I just pulled up the dashboard, and I can’t zoom in far enough to determine the accuracy. I use Shot Scope’s manual putting, so I would think (hope) it’s getting it right.

You can't update while you play;  it is part of the necessary post round editing.  What it comes down to is the accuracy of GPS and unfortunately it doesn't update as quickly as you walk and it isn't as accurate as you are thinking.  

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You can't update while you play;  it is part of the necessary post round editing.  What it comes down to is the accuracy of GPS and unfortunately it doesn't update as quickly as you walk and it isn't as accurate as you are thinking.  

What you said makes a lot of sense. Of course, with GPS being accurate to within a few yards, it could think I’m closer or farther from any given spot. I may have to take manual notes while I play to better assess the misses.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

I just saw on the ring that the UPS guy just dropped off a golf club shaped box. I'm not expecting any other clubs, so hopefully this is it!

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

6 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

I just saw on the ring that the UPS guy just dropped off a golf club shaped box. I'm not expecting any other clubs, so hopefully this is it!

Hope you're right - I feel like I'm a five year old on Christmas Eve.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8