Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What’s the best shot you’ve ever hit,? How and why was it your best?

I was asking myself this question and was thinking “what makes it the best shot ever” for me it was the pressure of executing the shot I visualised in a play off for club champs. What I find fascinating are questions like:

What was the situation, and did it contribute to why the shot was your best?
How was your state of mind and how did you control it?
What was your pre shot routine, or did you not have one?
What if any swing thoughts did you have?
What did it feel like as you started and through your swing, struck the ball, finished your swing, and watched the resulting shot?
How did others react to it, or affect them?
Do you try and replicate the feeling, if so how?

Be great to hear others experiences with this!

WITB:

DRIVER; COBRA Darkspeed 9.0 DEGREE STIFF Lin-q WHITE 65 GRAMS

3 WOOD; Callaway Paradym Smoke AI 15 DEGREE STIFF TENSAI AV blue 70 GRAMS

HYBRID: CALLAWAY 24 APEX UW 19 DEGREE STIFF MMT 70 GRAMS

IRONS; 4-GW MIZUNO PRO 223 STIFF AEROFLEX STEELFIBER i110 CW

MID WEDGE; MIZUNO T22 BLUE ION 54/08 D GRIND SHAFT DG WEDGE

LOB WEDGE; MIZUNO T22 DENIM COPPER 60/06 X GRIND SHAFT DG S300

PUTTER; EDEL EAS 1.0

My lowest score to date is an 81.  My favorite shot was a recovery shot from pine straw among the trees after I pulled my drive left on 18.  I needed to hit a very, very low draw in order to get out of the trees and get anywhere near the hole.  I set up with a closed stance, told myself to keep my hands forward and actually pulled it off better than I could've ever hoped to.  I don't remember the distance to the hole but it was at least 150yds.  I watched the ball curve toward the green, bounce about 30 yards in front of the green, bounce, bounce, and start rolling.  I was happy to just be near the green.  When the ball stopped, it was 4ft from the cup.  I tapped in for birdie to cap off the lowest round of my life by 5 strokes.

It's my favorite for multiple reasons.  It was in front of my dad.  Skins were still on the line at that point and that shot sealed it.  I hit it exactly how I needed to and how I had meant to (even though I wasn't confident I'd actually do it).  The round would have likely been my lowest regardless of how the shot went, but I could've easily bogeyed or worse and finished with a bad taste in my mouth; instead, I finished on a high note.  That entire round was the closest to being 'in the zone' that I can recall on a golf course.  I'd experienced that feeling in other sports, but never on the golf course; not like that.  I couldn't replicate the feeling consciously.  It would have to be something that comes organically.

I don't remember exactly how my dad reacted or what he said, but it was definitely a 'proud dad' moment.

I think I've covered all of the questions haha.  I don't really have much of a pre-shot routine and didn't for that shot.  I play fast, too fast at times.  Like any other shot, I thought about what I wanted to do for maybe 10 seconds, set up, waggled the club a couple times and let it rip.

Honorable mentions:  My first eagle (also out of pine straw... there's a theme lol).  The first time I drove the green on a (short) par 4, which was just last year.

I'm trying to really think what the best shot of all time is, but for now I will say the best shot of this past year.  I was playing in a small game with a few buddies and I had left myself behind a tree with 170 to the green.  My partner said to punch it out because he was down close to the green and confident in getting it up and down.  I knew I could shape the shot around the tree so I stepped back, saw my shot and then took it.

Shot shape was just as I envisioned and stuck it to 8ft.  Lipped out the putt for birdie but had executed the exact shot I wanted to make.  

I have slam dunked a couple shots this past year for eagle but those are more luck than that particular shot.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I've got to say my ace back in 2015. Par 3 147 yards, elevated tee. Into the wind right to left quartering about 12 mph( that was the direction and speed when I started the round). 7 iron. Landed about 15 feet short of the pin and rolled in. It was starting to get dark so I never really "saw" it drop. Heard the pin rattle and picked it out. Had to scramble to finish the last too holes before it became totally unplayable.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet