How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

2 hours ago, Northern Monkey said:

Played a 36 hole tournament today and had a great first 18. Scored a net 7 under and was really happy with my play. The driver was working really well and I hit 64% FIR and the others were only just into the rough. 50% GIR  two gross birdies and nearly had 2 hole in ones. First one lipped out and the 2nd landed about a foot from the hole IMG_0131.jpeg.f5d3cb5d8c615c12dd2d89668d2b8103.jpeg

It was a stableford competition and I scored 41 points for the first 18. The second 18 was a tale of 2 halves. The front nine I didn’t play too badly and was gross one over after 5 holes and had 18 points after 9. By the back nine I was tired and it showed. It was a tough day with some really windy conditions but I was pleased with a total of 72 points for 36 holes. It was good enough to get me 2nd place overall. 
Really nice courses which were in pretty good condition

Congratulations on the most excellent round!!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I’m having the hardest time processing my round today. I’m in the still-haven’t-broke-90 club. Shot a 42 on the front, and followed it with a 48 on the back 🤦‍♂️. Good things first: one birdie, six pars, three bogeys. Short game around the green was great, thanks in part to some of the things I’ve read on this forum in the past week and thanks to a friend that pushed me to use different clubs. I had 31 putts, including 7 one putts. First day with the new clubs, which were awesome, but also didn’t trust my distances.

Now for the trouble. 7 doubles and a triple. The driver was a real problem today and I was late to recognize it. I had 2 FIR, one of which was a 4-iron. Both of those holes resulted in doubles, because of shanked full swing wedges. Two penalties on the back due to drives, and another three or four where the only play was a punch out back to the fairway.

I played 10 holes at 2 over, and 8 holes at 17 over. Such a frustrating game

Great round and result @Northern Monkey!  Really impressive. 

@Overspark07 that sounds like a typical round for someone who is about to bust through a barrier.  Many good holes with some blowups we feel like we could have avoided.  I am very familiar.  Just a hair more luck, focus, and smart decision-making and you probably shoot an 85 or better.  Keep after it and I suspect you will be telling us about trying to break 80 soon.  

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

I have lost some weight over the last few years, but I still am feeling my age. My last 18 I was 15 over par, the greens were a bit dry. My short game was okay, just a bit short off the tee!

It is never raining too hard to play golf!

I'm on a bit of a roll right now.  Coming off a 74, my low for the year, I was playing with my older brother and a couple of friends yesterday.  It's been a hot and dry August, but some rain was in the forecast.  We'd joked about it with our greenskeeper, Jeff, who's great, on the driving range.  (When you're teeing off at 7:40, the driving range is pretty empty here at 7:00AM).  Anyway, I made a couple of putts I probably shouldn't have, and missed a couple that I'd like to have had back, and ended the front with 9 straight pars.  

Jeff (greenskeeper) came by as we finished 10 (another par), just as it started to rain.  In Texas, especially in August, any rain is a good rain, and this one didn't look to last long.  Birdied 11, taking me to one under, when the rain turned harder.  Stopped under some trees on the 12th tee (no lightning!!) and steadily got drenched.  We finally decided even if the rain stopped, we were too wet to continue.  When you're retired and can play whenever you want, you can do that....  

But, one under after 11 only tells you what "might have been".  I generally don't play on weekends, as I try to avoid taking tee times from people who work and can't play during the week.  But I'm ready to get out there and put 18 holes together early next week!  

My game got better not from lessons, of which I've had a few, but from club fittings.  My PXG 311 driver has really helped my game, as have my PXG Gen 6 irons.  My fitter took his time getting the right clubs, and shafts, in my bag.  This was two separate fittings, but well worth it.  I have a Ping 430 SFT 7-wood coming in the next few days, joining my 430 SFT 3- and 5-wood, replacing my PXG 4-hybrid.  My short game (PXG Sugar Daddy II 50*, 56* and 60*) keeps me competitive, and I try to make the most of it!  

10 handicap, French Bulldog owner, Sports enthusiast 

I started playing golf in late 2023 at 51 years old.  I'm enjoying it so far, and I just completed my 7th round of golf.  I am back in Scotland for the Summer and played at Kirriemuir Golf Club.  The round started well, but I lost my way towards the end.  A mixture of "overthinking" after a bad shot and fatigue (I think) contributed to a poor back 9.  I feel like I stopped rotating properly on my drives in the later holes.  I ended up with a +10 out and a +18 in.  My biggest weakness was the many 3-putt holes, and my biggest strength was chipping around the greens and bunker shots.  My driving was good, with the occasional pull to the right. 

Lots to work on, but I am enjoying the journey.  I am playing again on Monday.

Course - Kirriemuir Golf Club, Shielhill Rd, Northmuir, Kirriemuir DD8 4LN
Course Comments: As a new golfer, I do not have a lot of other courses to compare it with yet, but the staff were very friendly, and the course was not too busy (weekday), which is always good when starting out.  A few of the holes run entirely parallel to others, so it made me paranoid about hitting to the right and taking someone's head off 🙂

The course was very well maintained, and all the greens were tidy. 

Round: three pars, five +3's (4 on back 9) - Total Score 96 (+28)

I am from Scotland but currently living in Scottsdale, AZ.

Just now, JimmyM9 said:

I started playing golf in late 2023 at 51 years old.  I'm enjoying it so far, and I just completed my 7th round of golf.  I am back in Scotland for the Summer and played at Kirriemuir Golf Club.  The round started well, but I lost my way towards the end.  A mixture of "overthinking" after a bad shot and fatigue (I think) contributed to a poor back 9.  I feel like I stopped rotating properly on my drives in the later holes.  I ended up with a +10 out and a +18 in.  My biggest weakness was the many 3-putt holes, and my biggest strength was chipping around the greens and bunker shots.  My driving was good, with the occasional pull to the right. 

Course Comments: As a new golfer, I do not have a lot of other courses to compare it with yet, but the staff were very friendly, and the course was not too busy (weekday), which is always good when starting out.  A few of the holes run entirely parallel to others, so it made me paranoid about hitting to the right and taking someone's head off 🙂

Mate regardless of your score, the main thing is your out hitting the ball and having a great time. Don’t worry about the bad shots/putts it only takes 1 good shot/putt to get you back out there. lol. I use to be a poor putter as well then I found a putter on a site called Golf Gods l think it was made for me.  Pop over and have a look keeping in mind your 3 putts. You will have a laugh. 🤣 

Hi all so in my bag I'm carrying!

Driver Taylormade Sim 2 max 9deg

3wood Titleist TS 2

Fairway Sim 2 Max 3 Rescue 19deg

IRONS Taylormade DHY 2 iron and Taylormade Stealth 4 to AW

Putter Odyssey White hot #9

Balls Srixon Z Star / Titleist 

GPS Bushnell Phantom II

Rangefinder Mileseey PF260

My game is currently in the toilet.  I know what I'm doing wrong, but can't seem to stop doing it.  I'm getting to the top of my back swing, then throwing my hands hard to start my downswing.  Result: smother hooks and fat shots.  I lesson with my pro may be in the near future for me

Darryl Konter

1 hour ago, JimmyM9 said:

Welcome aboard mgs!!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

2 hours ago, JimmyM9 said:

Welcome to the Forum!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

Just started playing somewhat regularly in January and broke 100 for the first time last week. In a complete reversal of how I normally play, my driver was a bit unreliable and I was chipping and putting reasonably well. Because I have so few rounds on the books this dropped my handicap from 32 to 23.

image.png.74e5a772f7ef80c53016cb023d415060.png

Driver - Callaway Paradym X | Project X HZRDUS GEN 4 Silver 50 Graphite 
3W/5H/6-9I/PW -  Callaway Strata set
GW - Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore Tour Satin 50°
SW - Maxfli Black Max 56°
Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5

I have been playing pretty consistently in the 90's at Skagit Golf & Country Club, where I am a member.   The funny thing is each round is either a good ball striking round, a good putting round or a good short game round.  Never all three together and usually just one of the three... or I might shoot in the low 80's.  On Friday... I almost pulled it off but only had time for nine holes.... shot 39.  Damn... where did that come from and why did it have to be at twilight???

"Hit it hard. It's gotta lamd somewhere."

--Ben Hogan

Best round of the year so far, shot a 77.

Ball striking was good today, but the biggest thing was distance control.  Everything was pin high.  Had 3 birdies in a row…last was a tap in from 6 inches that I just missed jarring it!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

4 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Ball striking was good today, but the biggest thing was distance control.  Everything was pin high.  Had 3 birdies in a row…last was a tap in from 6 inches that I just missed jarring it!

Great round man! Gotta love those automatic birdies when they happen!

Taylormade Stealth 9 Degree Fujikura Ventus Red 5-S

Titleist TS2 15 Degree Project X Hzrdus Smoke 70g

Titleist TSr1 18 Degree Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75g

Mizuno MP-32 True Temper S400

Titleist Vokey SM8 56, 60 Degree

Ping Anser 2 2024 Release

2 minutes ago, Nick_Chilelli said:

Great round man! Gotta love those automatic birdies when they happen!

Thank you!  When it left t club I thought it was long…which it was by just a bit!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

This morning was the club championship for our little course.  Some under 25 yo bombers, some 30-40 somethings and one 60+ old guy in the championship flight.

And score one for the old guy!!  I shot a one under 71 to squeak out a one shot win!!   🏆

A good day of ball striking hitting 11/15 fairways and 14/18 gir.  Two birdies and an eagle balanced out 3 bogeys.  I only made 1 putt over 8' all day even with all the birdie looks.   Putting speed was pretty good i was over reading the breaks on most putts and burning edges.

I was paired up with a couple fun guys i know from the league so the company was great.  It was nice to make solid contact all day.

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

13 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

This morning was the club championship for our little course.  Some under 25 yo bombers, some 30-40 somethings and one 60+ old guy in the championship flight.

And score one for the old guy!!  I shot a one under 71 to squeak out a one shot win!!   🏆

A good day ofbball striking hitting 11/15 fairways and 14/18 gir.  Two birdies and an eagle balanced out 3 bogeys.  I only made 1 putt over 8' all day even with all the birdie looks.   Putting speed was pretty good i was over reading the breaks on most putts and burning edges.

I was paired up with a couple fun guys i know from the league so the company was great.  It was nice to make solid contact all day.

Excellent job man! Congratulations!

Taylormade Stealth 9 Degree Fujikura Ventus Red 5-S

Titleist TS2 15 Degree Project X Hzrdus Smoke 70g

Titleist TSr1 18 Degree Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75g

Mizuno MP-32 True Temper S400

Titleist Vokey SM8 56, 60 Degree

Ping Anser 2 2024 Release

Got up for an early 6:45 am round this morning, couldn't have been a more perfect day at one of my favorite courses. The course was in great shape and I was mashing driver. Just couldn't finish off some makeable birdie putts. Still a very nice 84 for me but felt the putter let me down. Definitely could have broke 80 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS

3 wood - Callaway Rogue Max ST

5 wood - Ram

4 hybrid - Cobra T-rail

Irons (5-AW) - Taylormade Speedblade HL

Wedges, Taylormade Milled Grind 3 56

Putter: Taylormade Spider GT

Bag: Cobra cart bag

Balls: Taylormade TP5 Pix or Bridgestone E12 contact

Tracker: Arccos

Stableford tournament today, one of my favorite format 

Solid round with the exception of 10th and 11th, lost my swing for a min.

Wedges #Sub70 TAIII continue to deliver the goods.

And the putting #LAB Mezz1 just continues to get better. 28 today and could have been even better.

Driving has been consistent.

Rounds like this makes golf fun again.

Screenshot_20240824_164800_GHIN.jpg.0cb9c429a6111bd2335cd40dbe05ae1f.jpg

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Terra Forza White Shaft
3 -Wood Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag
TESTED: Terra Forza Shaft 

I have been on a roller coaster for the past year and right now, I’m not sure where I’m headed. My index over the past twelve months has gone from 1.7 up to 6 and now back down to 2. It’s nice to be playing well but so damn inconsistent. Last four rounds have been 73,72( almost all pars with a birdie and bogey thrown in) 85! With some doubles and today a 76 with five birdies. Every day something works and something doesn’t , how do you guys who are fairly consistent do it?

Titliest TSI - Driver, 3 wood and 3 hybrid 

Mizuno MP-20 4-PW irons

50°, 54° and 58° Vokey wedges 

Odyssey AI One putter

2 hours ago, Mojo182 said:

I have been on a roller coaster for the past year and right now, I’m not sure where I’m headed. My index over the past twelve months has gone from 1.7 up to 6 and now back down to 2. It’s nice to be playing well but so damn inconsistent. Last four rounds have been 73,72( almost all pars with a birdie and bogey thrown in) 85! With some doubles and today a 76 with five birdies. Every day something works and something doesn’t , how do you guys who are fairly consistent do it?

It's golf, there is no consistency other than being inconsistent! 🤪 

WITB-

6 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

A good day of ball striking hitting 11/15 fairways and 14/18 gir.  Two birdies and an eagle balanced out 3 bogeys.  I only made 1 putt over 8' all day even with all the birdie looks.   Putting speed was pretty good i was over reading the breaks on most putts and burning edges.

Congrats on the round and championship!

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

8 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

Great round!

Posted a very ordinary 90 from the back tees at Pleasant Valley in Medina with @DiscipleofPenick.

Edited by MattF

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8