Ryann87

48°, 52°, 56°, 60°

Titleist TSR2 driver

Titleist TSR2 3 wood

Taylormade Sim2 7 wood

Titleist T300/T200 combo irons 

Vokey SM8 52F/56S/60M wedges

scotty cameron Newport 2 putter

Right now I am carrying 4 wedges in the bag, all Mizuno 825.  PW is 45, Gap is 50 along with a 54 and 58.  The grind and bounce on the 54 make it useable out of bunkers.  

They are largely shot at this point but might hang on another season.  I tend to open the Gap wedge too much and while it should be my 100-yard club it often falls short.   It's the club in the bag that I struggle with the most.  

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke Max-D 9 degree

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

My set PW is 43°. From there I have 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58°. It gaps very well for me.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 6-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I use 2 MD5 Callaway Wedges with the same bounce - 50 and 56 degree. I just open the face if I want to make it more lofted. I have always fancied some Vokey wedges but always shied away at the price.

2023 P790s 4-A. A is 50 degrees so I play a 54 and 58 Callaway jaws raw full toe. I'm open to removing the set wedge completely if I can find 50 degree wedge that I hit well and it still fits my gapping. I really don't love the set A wedge. I think has a bit too much offset to my eye and I haven't quite figured out how to hit it consistently. 

Failing upwards

Posted (edited)

I play a set of forged Version 1 Edison wedges. 45, 49, 53 and 57 degrees. I really like them. 

Edited by Papa Tango
Adding more info.

Ping G400 woods, hybrids, irons. 

I struggle with the wedge area of my game. I have a 52, 56, and 60 degree. The 60 is about to come out for a 58. I feel it is too much loft for what I need it for. Which is 40ish-60 yards out. Unless I have a bunker between me and the green, I don’t even use a wedge to get on the green. I use my 7 iron and chip and run. I have had Ping club match suggest a chipper. But I just don’t see the benefit to loosing a club for that when I do pretty well with my 7 iron. I do like the 52 over the 50 degree PW(my set of irons is old, so the lofts are crazy to me. So once I get an updated set of irons, all things could change). I still need to get that part of my game straight with more consistent contact and correct contact. I do carry a 56 for my bunker shots and under 90 yards out. I have adapted my game to these lofts and (like most) am working on better contact and consistent yardage. So my lofts could change at at some point. 

Just my two cents and thanks for letting me share. Happy Golfing!!!

I am a golfer that is getting back into the game. With luck I will get to update my lower handicap. 

I thought I was different with 5 wedges but reading some of these replies tells me it’s pretty common. 
I have P and A wedges Callaway Maverick, then 52, 56 and 60 Cleveland CBX ZipCore’s. 
since the irons are stronger than my old set, I had a gap from 140yds down. So, my thinking is, these are scoring clubs and I need to get the ball close to the pin. My set is 5-AW. 

Steve Martak

Currently have Ping Glide 4.0 wedges (G, S, L) paired with my Srixon ZX5 MKII irons (P-5).  

-P wedge (45.5 degree - 140yards),

-G wedge (50 degree - 130yards),

-S wedge (54 degree - 120yards),

-L wedge (58 degree - 100yards)

The gap between the S and L is larger because I wanted a 100-yard club.  In my experience a 20-yard gap in wedges is manageable and not really an issue.  I used to play with only a 52-degree and 60-degree and the 30-yard gap there was definitely an issue for me.  

On 3/29/2024 at 9:33 AM, Ryann87 said:

Right now I play a mashup of wedge brands since I lost the PW (a 46 loft) to my iron set. I have a Callaway MD5 48 to replace the lost PW, a Taylormade Hi-Toe 56 and an old Accupro 60. Had a 52 but it was stolen. So I’m not loving the 8 degree gap between my 48 and 56. 

Just found a great condition PW (again, 46) that matches my set. Also just bought a set of 3 MD5 wedges, which are 52, 56, 60. 

So now I have a 46, 48, 52, 56, 60. My logic tells me to sell the 48 because 2 degrees between it and my 46 seems too close. But then I have a 6 degree gap between my 46 and 52. Also having trouble wanting to drop the 48 is because I love the way it feels and I’ve got really good with it. It’s the reason I decided to buy more MD5’s

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar dilemma and what you did about it?

Morning! My lofts are as follows:

TaylorMade Stealth PW (43°) and AW (49°)

Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52°, 56°, and 60°

I have a 6° gap between AW and PW. However, It’s more important to look at the distances of each club to look for deficiencies, not the loft. Mine are as follows:

• 43° - 155yds
  • 49° - 140yds
  • 52° - 125yds
  • 56° - 112yds
  • 60° - 102yds

Although I have a 6° gap between PW and AW, I’m very comfortable with only 15yds between the two. I can hit a choked 43° wedge to cover 145-155yds, and step on a 49° wedge to cover the 140-145yds gap. 

Hope this helps!!

Stealth 2 driver, Sim Max 2 3W, Nike VRPro 5W, Stealth irons, Cleveland ZipCore wedges, and Odyssey White Ice 330 putter. TP5x

Seems like I’m in the minority carrying only three wedges.  My set PW is 43 and I carry a 52 GW and a 58 SW.

I had a 46 AW in the bag but found I wasn’t using it very much so I dropped it and added  5W which I’m using quite a bit.

I don’t really miss the 46.  I find I can manipulate my PW to cover the gap up to my 52.

Driver:  Ping G425 LST 9 degrees, stock shaft regular

Fairway: Ping G425 LST 13.5 degrees, stock shaft regular

Hybrids: Ping G425 19 and 22 degrees, stock shaft regular

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max, Project X  LZ105 5.5; 5-AW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 52 degrees, TT Dynamic Gold 115; Cleveland SmartSole 58 degrees, stock shaft

Putter:  Axis1 Rose with FlatCat grip

veteran.gif.ce23e65765944402b155f425df8cdfdb.gif.5b4cd6901ad1d0966d36704e6b4d9e7d.gif

image.png.2c141450bfdc56c40426d9df08a4bb4d.png

image.png.3ce9d749de4445b748c0a563eb19c35b.png

I have a 52/56/60 setup right now…my PW is 46, so I have a bit of a gap right now (iron set came with a 50 GW).  Need to play around with the clubs some more to get distances to see if any changes are needed at this point.

The 56/60 are safe, just the GW area I’m considering a change.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I use the following wedges:

Cobra Dark Speed PW which came with my set - 43.5 degree.   Distance hit: 85-100 yards

48 degree Titleist SM9 - Distance hit: 65-80 yards

56 degree Titleist SM8 - Distance hit: 40-60.    SW for soft sand.

60 degree Titleist SM8 - Rarely use.    SW for hard sand or pitches where I have to get the ball up quickly and have limited green before the hole (short sided).

Of these four, I find the 48 degree the one I am using the most.

I use the following wedges:

Cobra Dark Speed PW which came with my set - 43.5 degree.   Distance hit: 85-100 yards

48 degree Titleist SM9 - Distance hit: 65-80 yards

56 degree Titleist SM8 - Distance hit: 40-60.    SW for soft sand.

60 degree Titleist SM8 - Rarely use.    SW for hard sand or pitches where I have to get the ball up quickly and have limited green before the hole (short sided).

Of these four, I find the 48 degree the one I am using the most.

Titliest TS2 Driver, 3 Wood, 19, 21, 23 Hybrids, Muzuno Irons, Titlest Wedges, Odyssey Lab Stroke Putter

Also a mishmash of wedge brands in my bag - PW 48, AW 52, SW 56, and LW 60.  

Late comer to golf but trying to get better.

Driver: Ping 425 max
Irons: TaylorMade RocketBallz (yes, I know I need to get new ones)
Wood & Wedges: A little of this, a little of that

47⁰PW (from set), 52⁰GW 56⁰SW 62⁰LW

Gaps are good, golfer isn't...LOL. my gap numbers based off of a Trackman session were not accurate as to what they fly on course, but again, the gaps are within tolerance.  🦖

Titleist 712 MBs PXG 3w Scotty Golo

Titleist ProV1x

I have Titleist T300 (2019), and I think my pw is 43°.  I know the gw is 48°.

I had a Callaway Jaws 54° and 58°, but I switched them out this year for Vokey 54° and 60°. I also went with a little more bounce foer the wet conditions we often have. ...So far, so good with the new wedges. 

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

Ping G410 set wedges: PW = 44.5° and GW = 49.5°

Ping Glide 3.0: 54°/12° and 58°/8°

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Given the brand and bounce differences, the lofts are not the only differences.  Needs to see actual yardages and gap from there.  Unless you are a real bomber 5 wedges seems like overkill but you know you.

WITB T3 Driver, T3 3 wood, 5 wood, hybrids, Mizuno 923 irons, vokey wedges, Scotty 009 putter

On 3/29/2024 at 10:33 AM, Ryann87 said:

Right now I play a mashup of wedge brands since I lost the PW (a 46 loft) to my iron set. I have a Callaway MD5 48 to replace the lost PW, a Taylormade Hi-Toe 56 and an old Accupro 60. Had a 52 but it was stolen. So I’m not loving the 8 degree gap between my 48 and 56. 

Just found a great condition PW (again, 46) that matches my set. Also just bought a set of 3 MD5 wedges, which are 52, 56, 60. 

So now I have a 46, 48, 52, 56, 60. My logic tells me to sell the 48 because 2 degrees between it and my 46 seems too close. But then I have a 6 degree gap between my 46 and 52. Also having trouble wanting to drop the 48 is because I love the way it feels and I’ve got really good with it. It’s the reason I decided to buy more MD5’s

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar dilemma and what you did about it?

I went from playing my non-set wedges at lofts of 50*, 54* & 58* for several years to now playing 48*, 53* and 58* wedges. This switch from 4* loft gaps to 5* gaps is for two reasons:

1. The use of a 48* gap wedge makes for a better transition from the stronger-lofted pitching wedges in today's "loft-jacked" iron sets.
  2. A 5 degree loft gap gives me better yardage gaps as my clubhead speed gets lower in "old age".

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

Get some good yardage data for each club and see where the gapping issues may be, whether it is an overlap or too large a gap.  Then I would adjust the loft of the clubs you have and seem to like to the desired yardages. 

For example, my set PW is 45* but I made it slightly stronger to get another 5 yards because the gap was too close to my Edison 49*, within 5 yards.  I adjusted it last year when I started playing the new Edison wedges for a 10 yard gap.  I also adjusted the 9i a little stronger because the gap between it and the 8i was a little large.  My 53* wedge is fine with the yardage between it and the 49* and similarly the 57* is also a good gap for me to the 53*.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I love my Cleveland RTX wedges and have 50, 55, and 60 degree clubs. I've tried 52 and 53 as my gap wedge but it's too far away from the PW, and then it's too close to the 55 or 56 SW. I've also tried 50, 54, and 58 but I like the 60 when I need it. 

Gumpwine1

I play Taylormade MG4s (60* 55* 50*) and my pitching wedge is a Mizuno Pro 225 @ 45*. My sand wedge is 54* weaken to 55* and my pitching wedge is 44* weaken to 45* so I have five degrees between each wedge.

Roger Beusch

Had a Titleist fitting .  Rep was great as we worked on the proper gapping for all wedges.  Ended up with a 58 degree , 54 degree, and 47 degree .  All of them with the new SM10 technology.  Trackman used to judge distances .  Worked on full shot and half shot distances.  Bounce was determined with the fact that I play in AZ with mostly firm surfaces.  My angle of attack and preference of launch also considered.  Highly recommend going thru the process.

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

I was playing Edison 2.0 wedges at 49, 53 and 57 but that was with my old irons (43.5* PW) and had the following gaps:

PW - 130

49 - 110

53 - 95

57 - 80

I put in a new set of irons and the PW is 46* and it goes 120, so I’m about to have the following (after some wedge bending this week):

PW - 120

51 - 100-105 (I hope…will definitely test/confirm)

57 - 80

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 10* | Taylor Made Mini Driver 13.5* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 51*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag