New Ping eye2's

Having a set back in the late 80's while in college ... I loved those clubs!  I carried a 2-iron thru Lob wedge and can remember hitting the long irons extremely well and even holed a 2-iron from 250 yards out in North Carolina and hit one off a tee just over 300 at Prestwick in Scotland (really firm ground).  I could hit all kinds of shots with the lob wedge and the mid to low irons would spin the you know what out of those Tour Edition balls!

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver 9*

:callaway-small: Mavrik 3 Metal

:callaway-small: Mavrik 5 Metal

:mizuno-small: JPX 923 Hot Metal 5-Gap

:callaway-small: 54* Sand Wedge

:callaway-small: 60* Lob Wedge

:scotty-small: Scotty Phantom 5.5 Putter

Golfer BG

Having still have my original Eye 2's, 2-SW, I would surely be tempted to at least demo them. As old as they are, I will still pull them down from the racks and at least take them to the range on occasion.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

They would basically be the g430 irons and no i wouldn’t try them with stronger lofts. The i20, i210 and i230 are as good if not better than the eye2 and i5xx line is just as good.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I played in a tournament this weekend, and one of my opponents was carrying a Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2 iron. As it happened, on hole 2 there is a 90° dogleg 150 yards from the tee and the end of the fairway is 180 yards. With no wind, I normally hit a 6 or 7 iron depending on the course conditions. Saturday, it was cart path only on this hole because of wetness, and directly into a 37 mph wind. 

I smoked a Ping G425 4H low draw that curved around and was a perfect shot. About 170 that left me 124 yards to a front flag. He pulls out the 2 iron that didn’t fly to the corner and got caught up just past the trees, but short of the fairway, and he had to deal with the trees on the second shot. 

Moral of the story, I have no idea. 🤣 I had the Eye 2’s. I now have the i525’s. Everything about the i525’s is superior to the Eye 2’s as far as irons go. The Eye 2 Sand Wedge 57.5° with 14° bounce with the curved sole was great, but way too much offset for my tastes now. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

21 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They would basically be the g430 irons and no i wouldn’t try them with stronger lofts. The i20, i210 and i230 are as good if not better than the eye2 and i5xx line is just as good.

So as you said revamped eye2's would be as good as today's G430. Interesting perspective.......So in your estimation, are the 430's better than the i models mentioned? 

The main reason I asked the question in the first place was because there seemingly is a following of eye 2 folks that are refurbishing these clubs with new modern shafts and bending the heads to 2 or 3 degrees stronger lofts, which I was unaware that they could be bent that much. Some of us just like the eye 2's for their design factor and adding more modern play ability only ads to the personal enjoyment of playing with them.  

Total Callaway bag - except putter

On 4/26/2024 at 11:14 AM, ballhawk said:

Just a wondering out loud...... If Ping was to re-produce the eye 2 irons with so-called modern stronger lofts, would you be enticed to give them a try.........Myself, yes!!   

Considering I still have an old set and was using the Sand Wedge until late last year, yes I think I would use them (for the right price).

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max D, 9.0 Degrees

Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline, 15 Degrees

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP-H5 2-Iron 18 Degrees

Irons: Cobra LTDx, 5-GW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50, 54 bent to 55, 60)

Putter: LeanLock APA Model Blade/Yes Marilyn C-Groove

Currently Reviewing: Byrdie Golf Design

Past Reviews: Titleist White Box and Lean Lock Putter

46 minutes ago, ballhawk said:

So as you said revamped eye2's would be as good as today's G430. Interesting perspective.......So in your estimation, are the 430's better than the i models mentioned? 

The main reason I asked the question in the first place was because there seemingly is a following of eye 2 folks that are refurbishing these clubs with new modern shafts and bending the heads to 2 or 3 degrees stronger lofts, which I was unaware that they could be bent that much. Some of us just like the eye 2's for their design factor and adding more modern play ability only ads to the personal enjoyment of playing with them.  

There are no bad clubs just bad fits. Not everyone including high handicaps need GI or SGI clubs and in some cases based on swing they are worse fits than a players distance or even something a little smaller.

vcog is pretty important and something like the i20/210/230 can be a bad fit for a sweeper because of where the vcog is.

then there is the launch and spin aspect of the design and the lower spin with higher launch can be an issue for some as the spin ends up too low.

the clubs can definitely be bent that much. Some shops or club builders won’t bend them that much or at all for the fear of breaking them, but they can definitely be bent up to 4° either way. If I were to ever have my Ping irons bent I would send them to Ping to have them bent. Ping will change the color code on them as well as update everything in their database as to the new specs.

im guessing they are adjusting lofts to get the ball in their preferred launch window

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 3 weeks later...

I think this would be a great idea for how people appreciate retro things. Millennials would love to play the clubs their grandparents played grandparents would love to play them if they have positive memories with them. 

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

I have a set of BeCu Eye 2's that I had reshafted with graphite and the lofts bent 2 degrees stronger so they are about a club shorter than my current gamers.  I love them.  I think the sole in particular just works for my swing.  I don't see the G430's as comparable because of their wide soles.  Maybe the i210's would be close.  One interesting thing I see with the Eye 2's is I hit them pretty high (by my standards) despite the thin soles.  The lofts are weaker than modern irons, but I still hit them higher when the lofts are the same.  For example, I hit the 34 degree Eye 2 7 iron higher than my 35 degree 8 iron Mizuno.  It may be the shafts.  It may be the offset in the Eye 2's.  l don't know.  I just know they work.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Posted (edited)

I mentioned in another post that I can remember playing in foursomes where I was the ONLY one not playing Eye Twos.

They were excellent golf clubs, I had to assume, but two things kept me from them.

One, even at my physical strongest, and I wasn't a particularly small guy, I preferred regular flex shafts.  I couldn't feel the clubhead with stiff shafts, and at that time, Ping offered NO shaft options, despite their generous selection of color coded lie angle options.

Second, the offset on the one-iron and the lob wedge was the same.  I knew that I couldn't get used to that look. 

One thing confuses me, though.  I though that they offered all the lie angle options because they couldn't be bent, but you mention bending the lofts stronger.  

As for me, I'd be thrilled if somebody other than the hickory replica makers made new clubs with the old weak lofts, but being apparently the only player on earth who wants them, I'm not holding my breath!

Edited by RetiredBoomer

in flux

On 5/17/2024 at 9:43 AM, RetiredBoomer said:

I mentioned in another post that I can remember playing in foursomes where I was the ONLY one not playing Eye Twos.

They were excellent golf clubs, I had to assume, but two things kept me from them.

One, even at my physical strongest, and I wasn't a particularly small guy, I preferred regular flex shafts.  I couldn't feel the clubhead with stiff shafts, and at that time, Ping offered NO shaft options, despite their generous selection of color coded lie angle options.

Second, the offset on the one-iron and the lob wedge was the same.  I knew that I couldn't get used to that look. 

One thing confuses me, though.  I though that they offered all the lie angle options because they couldn't be bent, but you mention bending the lofts stronger.  

As for me, I'd be thrilled if somebody other than the hickory replica makers made new clubs with the old weak lofts, but being apparently the only player on earth who wants them, I'm not holding my breath!

Turns out they can be bent. There is some risk involved as they can be broken when bending.  @Popeye64 did mine and they turned out great.  I don’t know if the BeCu alloy is softer than 17-4 stainless. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS