Making The Switch To Graphite

2 hours ago, Josh K said:

🤣 it feels unpopular! Being someone who's never used graphite irons (really am comfortable with the steel), did you see any initial dip in performance when making the switch? My perception of graphite shaft was meant for slower swing speeds which is a big reason why I've never even considered them

Make a Graphite look like steel nice and shiny, 🤔 Oh,and buy the way remember when switching from Hickory to steel they were coating steel shafts with wood looking tape because of the same reasons people don't want too convert now!!

Have had a passion for golf since my childhood days.

My fear is the high ball flight from graphite. I’m aware they can make them very stiff and heavy these days but have seen reviews stating the Axiom shafts still launch a little high. I play X100s 4-LW and still struggle with a high ball flight sometimes so would be hesitant to switch. 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

I put my graphite shafted D200s back in the bag and hit the range this morning. I'm a real dummy for even thinking I could go back to steel. The increased height (which I need) and the lack of discomfort in my right arm told me all I need to know. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

I briefly (4-5 months) switched from Nippon 1150gh stiff flex shafts to Mitsubishi MMT125TX shafts in my Mizuno Pro 223 irons (available again on eBay if anyone wants a set).  The shafts were one more attempt to stop the constant hard left pulls that I eventually narrowed down to being due to a combination of how the clubs interacted w/ the ground, the lie angle I needed to make that turf interaction work, and the offset of the irons.  Long story short, I couldn't hit a fade if I wanted to (and I did) and hit more snap hooks than straight-ish shots.

Fast forward to now, where I'm a much more fade-biased iron player with either the P7MC set I have or the Toura CB irons I built and am testing for the MGS Forum Review, and I'm not sure I'll be ready to go back to graphite for a while.  Also, going with a heavier steel shaft that absorbs more vibration has helped reduce the elbow inflammation I was getting with the MP223s and the Nippon shafts.  I haven't had any of that, even with a massive amount of hitting off of mats or in the simulator this spring due to rain.

I changed from steel to graphite many years ago,  because of tendonitis in my elbows.  The  vibration from the steel shafts travels up the shaft and wrecks the elbows. I find it easier to shape the shots with graphite over steel.   Have never regretted the change. 

Epic Flash

On 5/28/2024 at 10:29 AM, vandyland said:

Did you get fit into those or did you just take a flier? I found that there were very noticeable differences between Steelfiber, MMT, Axiom and LA Golf even all in the same weight class. For me, there is no chance I could get along with MMT, LA Golf/Steelfiber would be ok but Axiom was better than my current steel shaft and the other steel shaft I was fit into (Nippon Modus 130X). By better, I mean peak height and dispersion. 

This is a VERY well timed topic @GolfSpy_APH as I went through an extensive shaft fitting trying to find a graphite shaft I liked better than steel (forearm/elbow issues starting to surface). I am 40 years old, like a shaft between 120-130g and swing a 7 iron about 92 mph. Like many have stated, my only experience with graphite shafts was the stock shafts in a set of Cobra Oversized shafts from like 2007. They were like fly fishing rods, capable of spraying the ball EVERYWHERE. The Axioms I hit were out of this world stable but the feel was so much smoother. Granted, you have less feedback but I can still tell when I mishit a shot. I would think they really shine on a 40* morning when you catch one a groove low. Anyway, I had a great fitter and great fitting experience. I am turned off a little by how expensive the graphite shafts are BUT I think graphite has way more optionality than steel. What I mean by that is graphite can seemingly handle more "profiles" at a given weight. Or at least that is what I have been told and kind of what I experienced. The Axiom in 130X did not feel super boardy, it flew the peak height I was looking for AND had a tight dispersion. The only close competitor in steel I saw was the Nippon 130X. I am not saying everyone needs to be in graphite but now they have heavy graphite that is quite stable so it seems like they have the brute boys covered. Just hard to get tour pros to change when they are so used to a DG or Project X steel shaft. I have fully converted to thinking shafts are mega important now and that they may be as, if not more, important than heads. 

I was fitted. I was open to the switch and thought I'd be proactive to try and avoid injury although that had never been an issue. Figured it would take time to adjust but 60-70 rounds a year didn't help. I left my wedges steel. Maybe that was an issue. Going back to steel was like I never left. My regret is that I started playing twice as much golf during the pandemic as I had prior and have kept it up but my scoring went backwards with the graphite. Going back to steel my game has recovered and improved beyond what it had been even before graphite. Feels like it would be even better though. Not getting any younger either.

Short game savant, driving disaster...

On 5/27/2024 at 4:58 AM, a802313 said:

I have tried the graphite. I didn't do well. I believe the weighting options though of today may change my thought process. But for now im still cranking with a 130 x stiff. Now I have the fairway and hybrid in graphite and do well. They are 100g x stiff. There also great hybrid options like the GOST from Nippon and steel fiber from aerotech that I would try. They are graphite shafts that have a steel core in them. I'm sure it is a matter of time before I stop being hard headed. 

Dude I am kinda with you, from experience, I went from steel to graphite and haven't seen the best results. The clubes were Ping eye 2 and now I play ping G5. They are both green dot. Just the older clubs were steel and the "newer" clubs are graphite. If anyone has any advice I am open. 

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

I made the switch to graphite irons probably 20+ years ago, in response to a bad case of tendonitis in my L elbow which had persisted for over 2 months.  Nothing I tried gave any relief.  After I made the switch, the tendonitis went away in about 2 weeks and never returned.  The only drawback I noticed was that I hit the irons 5-8 yards further until I learned to dial back a little. A slightly easier swing yielded the same results as before, minus the pain. I noticed no dropoff in L-R accuracy.

On 5/30/2024 at 3:06 PM, chisag said:

... To the contrary I saw an immediate increase in performance when I switched to graphite. My first set was 130gm Aldila NV Tour shafts with 1.5* of torque. I was a little shorter because they wear so stout but my accuracy improved. When the released the NV Pro shafts with 2* of torque at 105 gms my distance came back and the accuracy remained. And to be fair I was completely happy with my steel shafts but had some elbow issues and reluctantly went to graphite. Like many I was a little shocked by the performance and this was 20 years ago! 

... Your perception is one many still share thinking graphite is designed for longer and higher shots. While that is still true for some lightweight shafts, even those shafts produce much better dispersion than the original lightweight OEM shafts designed for seniors or slower swing speeds and some ladies. But Fred Couples has been playing Steelfiber shafts in his irons for many years now as well as several other Tour players. You can find a current graphite iron shaft that fits any player, even with the insane swing speeds from Bryson. 

Good to know! Appreciate the info... I'm a little more open to graphite shafts. Got a few other wish list items first and may wait until i've hit a wall i can't get passed. I would like to see more on tour too!

Driver: default_taylormade-small.jpg M4 - 10.5*

Fairway: image.png.f80b04716f0752d0e161f8e69e17c221.png M4 3-Wood 

Hybrid: image.png.fe2aa7f34d770c8645b49d14ca7602f6.png M4 3H - 19*

Irons: Nike 4i VRS

Irons: image.png.addf2ff95a721c9b9015d977752379bc.png M4 5-AW

Wedges: image.png.d6668598d6a0d511b87f2fc1eb87fcb7.png 52* MyMG2 & 60* MGIII Tiger Woods

Putter: image.png.2bd0daac2b98426a840265b3c4fe873b.png 2024 Spider Ghost

Ball: image.png.61d218b69b8c0cc8aa3cbef652a165c2.png ProV1 - #14

image.png.11cc5c3378efccacc18c5bc6041b6dce.png  image.png.97bfd2fa9386794895fb5cabbcd1b732.png image.png

On 5/30/2024 at 5:48 PM, Markfalto said:

Make a Graphite look like steel nice and shiny, 🤔 Oh,and buy the way remember when switching from Hickory to steel they were coating steel shafts with wood looking tape because of the same reasons people don't want too convert now!!

I don't remember that! might be too young to remember haha but I want a set of those to have! I played with a guy one time who has the most beautiful woods and driver I had seen. The old school wood heads with the screws and all. He had them all polished up, I'm not sure I'd even play with them if I had them!

Driver: default_taylormade-small.jpg M4 - 10.5*

Fairway: image.png.f80b04716f0752d0e161f8e69e17c221.png M4 3-Wood 

Hybrid: image.png.fe2aa7f34d770c8645b49d14ca7602f6.png M4 3H - 19*

Irons: Nike 4i VRS

Irons: image.png.addf2ff95a721c9b9015d977752379bc.png M4 5-AW

Wedges: image.png.d6668598d6a0d511b87f2fc1eb87fcb7.png 52* MyMG2 & 60* MGIII Tiger Woods

Putter: image.png.2bd0daac2b98426a840265b3c4fe873b.png 2024 Spider Ghost

Ball: image.png.61d218b69b8c0cc8aa3cbef652a165c2.png ProV1 - #14

image.png.11cc5c3378efccacc18c5bc6041b6dce.png  image.png.97bfd2fa9386794895fb5cabbcd1b732.png image.png

I switched to graphite in irons 2 years ago and no going back for me! I then changed out my wedges soon after I put the irons in play. Definitely picked up some speed but still maintained control. Get the right shaft for you and I’m convinced you’ll enjoy the switch. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue 9.0

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue 15

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue 19

:benhogan-small: 22

Irons: :benhogan-small: 5 - PW

Wedges: :benhogan-small: 50

:callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 54 & 58

Putter: :odyssey-small: O Works 2 Ball Fang

• 3 weeks later...

Played my first full round with Fujikura Axioms and they felt amazing. Much softer feel at impact but very stable and ball flight was laser straight. Only one round but was extremely impressed and hard to see how I could go back now. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5*/STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25*/ Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

I switched to graphite 5 years ago to see if it was easier on my hands, elbows, neck.  I went from 130g steel to 110g graphite.  There was a small learning curve and some things I missed about steel but the benefits far outweighed anything else.  I'm now in a 95g graphite.  I won't be switching back to steel.

WITB

DarkSpeed driver
Ai Smoke 3W
Apex 4H
Forged Tec 5-W
Snakebite black 48, 52 raw 56 and 60
Toulon Palm Beach with UST Mamiya All-In shaft
CT/TP5/Tour BX

25 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

For all the guys who switched from steel....are you just feeling differences in your joints which makes these shafts great or are most of you seeing performance gains? Are you gaining distance? losing accuracy? 

There is no downgrade in performance if the shaft fits your swing.  I am not seeing any negatives with mine.   I have tried some that were too stiff and obviously performance was less than ideal.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

27 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

For all the guys who switched from steel....are you just feeling differences in your joints which makes these shafts great or are most of you seeing performance gains? Are you gaining distance? losing accuracy? 

They are going to have a benefit on the joints for sure regardless if performance improves or not.

I don’t see any distance gains by switching to graphite in irons I had steel in. But then again I’m fit for everything outside of just random blind testing I want to do for fun. 

Dispersion is better for me clubs that were reshafted to graphite 

31 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I switched from X100 to MMT 125TX. The MMT is supposed to be modeled after the X100. I find the dispersion to be the same as my previous X100 and the feeling in my wrists are definitely improved. I swing my 7 ~100 mph and I have not noticed any old adage of “loose” in the graphite shaft. I actually gained distance because I am a high spin player and the graphite spins less than the X100 for me. I had to adjust my lofts weaker to keep the same gaps. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX or Srixon ZX 2 Iron - ADDI 105X

Irons:  :titelist-small: T200/T100S Black 4-AW - MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.10S & 58.04T MMT 125TX (Soon to Test Toura Wedges with MMT 125TX)

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

2 hours ago, Tsecor said:

Providing the new shafts are properly fit you should see no loss in performance. The benefit of less shock and impact on joints significant in my experience.

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

3 hours ago, Tsecor said:

... Tendonitis in my right elbow was the original reason I switched and yes, it made a night and day difference for my joints. But performance is why I kept playing them. My accuracy/dispersion is most definitely improved but comparing Steelfiber i95's to Nippon 950GH I see no distance gains. 

... Slightly exaggerated think of a graphite driver shaft that can alter bend points by changing the thickness and other variables along the length of the shaft. Very stiff butt, medium middle and a very stiff tip. Or Very stiff butt, medium middle and a soft tip are very different. Additionally changing the torque anywhere along the length of the shaft can have one feeling boardy and another feeing smooth or for hard hitters, one feeling tight and the other feeling loose. Graphite can also add materials to any part of the shaft like the butt or tip. Velocore is a perfect example. It is the same with graphite iron shafts only to a lessor degree. Regardless of your swing you can find a graphite iron shaft that enhances your swing characteristics while steel is relatively static. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

3 hours ago, Tsecor said:

I definitely have higher ballflight with graphite shafts, and as someone who's always hit the ball too low it's been a marked improvement. That's me - I know others who've switched with better performance all around. The days of graphite being too whippy or soft are long gone.

4 hours ago, Tsecor said:

I made the switch less because of aches and pains but more for overall weight and higher launch.  In my experience: easier to carry, a bit faster swing, and visibly higher launch.  No regrets at all.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I definitely have higher ballflight with graphite shafts, and as someone who's always hit the ball too low it's been a marked improvement. That's me - I know others who've switched with better performance all around. The days of graphite being too whippy or soft are long gone.

im a highball hitter so that is my biggest concern

5 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

The right graphite can help keep the ball in the height profile you prefer but it will take a good fitting.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

5 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

... Steelfiber i95 mid flight and i110 mid/low flight. Lots of other options out there. 

8 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Once again, that was for ME PERSONALLY.

Go get fit. Stop holding onto old outdated preconceptions about graphite shafts.

Just now, russtopherb said:

Once again, that was for ME PERSONALLY.

Go get fit. Stop holding onto old outdated preconceptions about graphite shafts.

... I have mentioned this many times, but since most on the LPGA don't have raw distance off the tee, iron accuracy is extremely important. So the best ball strikers on the planet play on the LPGA Tour and most of the top players are using graphite in their irons. They certainly control their trajectories both high and low. J Y Ko hit 63 GIR's in a row using steel fiber irons shafts and I think that is a record that will never be equaled. In his prime Tigers best run was 29. Nelly Korda won 5 times this year alone using steel fibers and you can add Lydia Ko and the hard hitting Ariya Jutanugarn to the list. Leona Maguire and In Gee Chun use KBS TGi/PGi's in their irons. I could go on and on ...

49 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

42 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

The right graphite can help keep the ball in the height profile you prefer but it will take a good fitting.

You have to look at how the height is achieved. Is it because too much dynamic loft causing higher launch and apex but potentially creating too much spin and inconsistent results. Or is someone producing the higher ball flight from their faster speed while also not adding loft.

Steel or graphite can produce high or low ball flights. Then shaft has a role in club delivery which influences dynamic loft. The right shaft regardless of steel or graphite will get the ball to launch in the correct window 

I just got fit into Steelfiber Reg 110's and looking forward to seeing how they do.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

On 5/25/2024 at 3:14 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I was sent a couple demo clubs with graphite shafts and there is a feel/smoothness as well as ease that just feels great. After some discussion with the builder we are going to built a full set. Can't wait and think it will be a great switch that could help with some of the fatigue or weak shots.. full details and build specs to come in the next few weeks!

I switched to graphite then switched back to rifled steel. My first set of PXGs had stiff graphite. They were good, but needed that little extra stiffness so went back. My New Level irons are project x IO 6.5s. Love the shafts but if I would have gone with the LZs they’d be 6.0. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558