The U.S Open 2024 - Thread

Splatt

Yup. Great win, but Rory is going to wake up in the middle of the night thinking what could have been…missing two short putts is a tough way to lose.  

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

6 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

Yup. Great win, but Rory is going to wake up in the middle of the night thinking what could have been…missing two short putts is a tough way to lose.  

Bryson missed one near the end too ... but credit to him ... he took control. 

I admit that while I wasn't rooting for Bryson to loose, but I wasn't rooting for him to win either. 

Respect to Bryson and golf needs Bryson ... he is a personality and will create excitement in the sport. I really hope we can see him in more PGA events because the LIV events are painful to watch. 

My ONLY real knocks ... Bryson should have let Pavon putt out on 18 ... so he coulld have had the stage ... then done the Payne Stewart pose. But that is picking nits ... I was on the edge of my seat at the end.

Edited by Philpug

Click * Point * Chute

9 minutes ago, Philpug said:

I admit that while I wasn't rooting for Bryson to loose, but I wasn't rooting for him to win either. 

Respect to Bryson and golf needs Bryson ... he is a personality and will create excitement in the sport. I really hope we can see him in more PGA events because the LIV events are painful to watch. 

My ONLY real knocks ... Bryson should have let Pavon putt out on 18 ... so he coulld have had the stage ... then done the Payne Stewart pose. But that is picking nits ... I was on the edge of my seat at the end.

He could have wore the flat cap and all… would have been a good nod to the legend.

Paul McGinley seems to be having more issues than Rory with the results.  He calls Bryson's reactions and comments contrived and Hollywood like.  No issue rooting for your fellow countryman, expected in fact, but comments like that sound small and petty.  Bad form Paul, bad form.

Ultimately Bryson did get many "good breaks" but still had to find a way to make those payoff.  I think he hit 3 fairways all day... I'll bet that's a record for a US Open winner.

Add that bunker shot on #18 to the list of legendary, pressure cooker, RU kidding me moments in the sports history.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

20 minutes ago, Shankster said:

He could have wore the flat cap and all… would have been a good nod to the legend.

He put one on during the trophy presentation.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

48 minutes ago, Philpug said:

I for one am so glad he did not do the Payne Stewart pose (presuming that even entered his mind)... that would be cheesy and not well received.

1 hour ago, Philpug said:

If Bryson let him put out people would’ve screamed he got a free read 

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

I've gotten a little tired of the Rory cult lately but I'm not thrilled that a LIVer won the US Open either. Bryson seems to be a genuine guy but he took a whole lot of blood-soaked cash from the Saudis. Probably was hoping most of all that Finau got in contention but that triple (was it yesterday?) pretty much ended his hopes.

That was one hell of a bunker shot there, though, even if Johnson Wagner got in there after dark (lit up by the video screen overlooking 18) and hit it even closer than Bryson did. Bryson figured he'd hit that shot that well 4 or 5 times out of 100. And he's probably right, but he came up with the 1 when it counted.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

2 hours ago, Philpug said:

My ONLY real knocks ... Bryson should have let Pavon putt out on 18 ... 

He looked over at Pavon and nodded, like "you want to go ahead?". Pavon marked and shook his head. They had just watched Rory miss a putt of the same length, and Pavon's was literally on an identical line. To some extent, that's Pavon protecting the field. He wasn't going to give Bryson a look at the line, in case it had a hard-to-read break.

Thrilled for Bryson in what I imagine this is his renaissance moment.  Perpetually misunderstood he figured out how to succeed…not only by great play but to win the crowd.  Watching videos of him signing and taking pictures 2.5 hours after round 4 when he could be out celebrating speaks volumes of his character.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

29 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Thrilled for Bryson in what I imagine this is his renaissance moment.  Perpetually misunderstood he figured out how to succeed…not only by great play but to win the crowd.  Watching videos of him signing and taking pictures 2.5 hours after round 4 when he could be out celebrating speaks volumes of his character.

100% agree. He’s been great to his fans and personally I think he’s incredibly fun to watch. His game is unique as is his approach, which is entertaining and something golf needs. 

Edited by aguybadatgolf

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

Perpetually misunderstood he figured out how to succeed…not only by great play but to win the crowd.

What nonsense, Dechambeaus shows of poor sportsmanship and brain dead remarks are well documented. I also watched him publicly disrespect his caddie first hand at a tournament. However it appears he may have finally grown up, too late for me.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

8 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

I've gotten a little tired of the Rory cult lately but I'm not thrilled that a LIVer won the US Open either. Bryson seems to be a genuine guy but he took a whole lot of blood-soaked cash from the Saudis. Probably was hoping most of all that Finau got in contention but that triple (was it yesterday?) pretty much ended his hopes.

That was one hell of a bunker shot there, though, even if Johnson Wagner got in there after dark (lit up by the video screen overlooking 18) and hit it even closer than Bryson did. Bryson figured he'd hit that shot that well 4 or 5 times out of 100. And he's probably right, but he came up with the 1 when it counted.

Blood soaked cash? Have you seen the banks, corporate  and China funds that prop up the PGA? Poor take.

Edited by Just_the_Chip

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

Feel bad for Rory losing the way he did.  Can't really blame him for dodging the press afterwards as he must have been shell shocked.  I'd love to see him take some time off to get his head together and then come out gunning at the Open Championship.

Grats to Bryson!   He's been through a huge transformation over the past couple of years and it's nice to see his fun side.   Everyone is going to remember the bunker shot on 18, but he was executing some incredible pitch shots all day long.

Feel bad for Rory, but congratulations to Bryson!

After watching Bryson on tv at the PGA yell at the guy that took the ball from the kid, he is starting to grow on me.  He is definitely a polarizing personality, but he seems to play to the fans.  

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

11 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Add that bunker shot on #18 to the list of legendary, pressure cooker, RU kidding me moments in the sports history.

I can't tell you the last time I audibly gasped at a shot - especially given the situation.

I was actually rooting for Bryson. He used to irritate me, but he seems to have matured a bit while Rory has lost some of his luster to me. I do feel bad for Rory for the two short putts, but it almost seemed to me like the law of averages was catching up with him since he made some putts earlier that had no right going in (or were at least very low percentage shots).

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
7W: :callaway-small:Epic Flash 19* TourAD (can't remember the exact model)
4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 23* Recoil 780ES
5-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
54*, 58*: :Sub70: TAIII Black
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Most Recent TestFit For Golf 2.0

DeChambeau is an elite athlete. Matt Fitzpatrick's bunker shot in 2022 might have been more spectacular, but both bunker shots (and putts) were clutch in a pressure-cooker moment. I enjoy watching golf when there is some emotion...Hatton and Lowrey look like they're about to explode at times; makes me want to see how they handle the next shot. Same for Bryson's muttering to himself or joyously celebrating. Best, -Marv

What a great tournament, I don't remember the last time I was on the edge of my seat watching golf. I'm so glad it was on NBC so I could watch it on Peacock. Paramount+ forces you to uprgrade to Premium to watch the CBS golf coverage.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 6-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I have to say, I only caught glimpses of the final round.  Tuned in for a second to see Rory at -8 then checked back an hour later to see he lost🤦‍♂️.

He must of caught my putting bug 😀🤣.  Tough way to lose missing those 4' putts, but on those greens, it was not a given. 

Respect to Bryson for making the shots and putts when he needed it.

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1x / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: Titan Elite

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Current MyGolfSpy Review - Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64979-testers-announced-precision-pro-titan-elite/?do=findComment&comment=1082733

9 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

What a great tournament, I don't remember the last time I was on the edge of my seat watching golf. I'm so glad it was on NBC so I could watch it on Peacock. Paramount+ forces you to uprgrade to Premium to watch the CBS golf coverage.

Refusing to cave into the various network streaming, "pay to watch" ransoms, I had no live video coverage of the final round.  Instead, I listened to radio coverage on the USGA website.  I was able to watch various live coverage of featured groups on Thur, Fri, and Sat, each day getting more limited than the day before. 

While I would have preferred to watch the live coverage, listening to the play by play was kind of cool.  It forces you to imagine the scene/shot playing out from the announcers description.  

Not long after live NBC coverage concluded, Golf Channel coverage started (in my Sling package), and all the key highlights were shown... numerous times.  Anyway, it's good to know I can survive without being "connected" 😉.

5 hours ago, Middler said:

What nonsense, Dechambeaus shows of poor sportsmanship and brain dead remarks are well documented. I also watched him publicly disrespect his caddie first hand at a tournament. However it appears he may have finally grown up, too late for me.

I love the idea that we can continue to grow, mature and become better people. I also appreciate that everyone will not share my opinion. And that’s Ok. 

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Got to hand it to BD, the bunker shot was great but the punch out from the gunk was even better. In a way, he kind of reminds me of watching Arnold Palmer with his "damn the torpedo's - full speed ahead" attitude. What really said something to me was when he stopped at the young man in the wheelchair, signed his hat and shook his hand twice. I know Rory also did it too, but BD took a little extra time with him and that to me was a pure class act.  

Total Callaway bag - except putter

3 hours ago, Just_the_Chip said:

Blood soaked cash? Have you seen the banks, corporate  and China funds that prop up the PGA? Poor take.

Tour's hands aren't clean either but PIF is a whole 'nother animal. There is no plausible whataboutism here. 

Edited by ILMgolfnut

11 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Refusing to cave into the various network streaming, "pay to watch" ransoms, I had no live video coverage of the final round.  Instead, I listened to radio coverage on the USGA website.  I was able to watch various live coverage of featured groups on Thur, Fri, and Sat, each day getting more limited than the day before. 

While I would have preferred to watch the live coverage, listening to the play by play was kind of cool.  It forces you to imagine the scene/shot playing out from the announcers description.  

Not long after live NBC coverage concluded, Golf Channel coverage started (in my Sling package), and all the key highlights were shown... numerous times.  Anyway, it's good to know I can survive without being "connected" 😉.

I watched Rory and Bryson the entire way on free TV. You didn't have to be "connected".

12 minutes ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

No, seriously, I saw Shooter McGavin giving Rory a bunch of folding money behind the Practice Area....

😉

Rumor has it Bryson took them to Sizzler after 🤣

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I love the idea that we can continue to grow, mature and become better people. I also appreciate that everyone will not share my opinion. And that’s Ok. 

I totally agree with you. His good behavior this year in the majors has really changed my mind about him.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
7W: :callaway-small:Epic Flash 19* TourAD (can't remember the exact model)
4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 23* Recoil 780ES
5-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
54*, 58*: :Sub70: TAIII Black
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Most Recent TestFit For Golf 2.0

With Bryson’s win, is he actually the best player on the planet?  Scheffler’s win at Memorial and Masters was impressive, but head to head at the last three majors Bryson has average finish of third and an average scoring to par of -9.3.  Scheffler is 16.7 and -5.3, respectively.  Next closest to Bryson is Xander with 5.3 and -7.7.  If the majors are the true test of all the best players, then Bryson wins hands down.

Driver - Titleist.png.498bc07308fe56d564be22c9431a5e18.png 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist.png.38f33ae482f03fcb0b418c4ad449014d.png 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - Titleist.png.db92d1d5ded4d1e2c006d38c55ff42d7.png 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Titleist.png.be3c490c674724282df255bccde13d6a.png Vokey Spin Milled 52/56/60

Putter - EVNROLLlogo.jpg.fe3da74474e04365077bd707c1132da3.jpg Neo Classic ER2

Ball - Titleist.png.0716431d8fbd49f30882f96bc07b7d40.png Tour Speed/Soft

Rangefinder - BushnellLogo.jpg.52d5c06a2ba66a8729d6938779ae75db.jpg Tour V5 Shift