Graphite Design Tour AD Shafts - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts and final reviews here. 

@WaffleHouseTour - Main Post 

@Nick_D - Main Post 

@pete1276 - Main Post 

@kam89 - Main Post 

@Alan Stewart - Main Post 

@DukeStKing - Main Post 

@GolfSpy_BNG - Main Post 

@GolfSpy AFG - Main Post

More Unboxing and First Impressions On Trackman

TL/DR

Good looks.  Solid first Trackman session and setup with 1 degree less loft, the Tour AD UB 6S gave numbers very close to my original shaft.  Flex was more pronounced than original shaft but comfortable very quickly.  Bend profile may give opportunity to squeeze more from the Tour AD UB with more experience.  Great first outdoor range session.  Shaft is very comfortable, delivering good height and a nice draw. 

Assembled Driver

I got the adapter mounted and my usual Lamkin 360 grip in regular put on yesterday and got a chance to try it in my Cobra LTDx 9 degree head yesterday.  The guys at NextGen Golf Green Bay were great in getting this turned around and matched it up to my current ProjectX HZRDUS Blue RDX for length.  Couple of pictures below of the assembled club, using my red chair as a prop.

IMG_1475.jpg.782a81a38de05a8d39c547104e8fa107.jpgIMG_1477.jpg.98bfd303cd7d73f5c184a91cd00cdce7.jpg

I am digging the color scheme and like the transition to silver toward the head.  Looks weren't high on my list of scoring criteria but this combination surprised me.

Initial Setup

I also got into a Trackman bay for about an hour to find what adapter settings were going to work best with the Tour AD UB and also to gather some initial data for comparison.  I run the HZRDUS Blue at 9 degrees and regular lie and started there with the Tour AD UB.  I found the height of the Tour AD UB was much greater, so I turned it down to 8 degrees and kept the regular lie to get the flight down to a more comfortable range.

Initial Trackman Data

I struggled a little with the standard plastic tee heights and was catching the ball higher on the face.  I typically am 1-2 degrees up at impact and like a lower tee height to kept the trajectory between 100-120.  I did not bring my cutdown tee with me but will for the final testing.  I had a number of shots with both shafts that had good distance but were over 140 feet high which I do not want to see on the course.

After culling out the shots used for fitting and getting used to the shaft, and also culling out those shots over 140 in height or overly out to the sides, I got a group of 14 good hits with the Tour AD UB and then swapped the old shaft back in and got 9 comparable shots.  In the chart below, Driver in red is the Tour AD UB and 2W in blue is the HZRDUS Blue.

image.png.dc53d8d002a15f5ed650c0d897481b38.png

Very comparable across the board.  These were smooth hard swings, not fairway finders but good passes at the ball.

Biggest difference was really that my original shaft tended more left and the Tour AD UB tended a little right. 

The dispersion of the Tour AD was a bit larger but I put that down to getting used to how it felt and reacted in my hands.  I will be curious to see how this looks after I have been using the Tour AD UB exclusively for several weeks.  It could be that I reduce the Tour AD UB dispersion with experience and the HZRDUS  Blue suffers from lack of recent usage.

I was surprised at the consistency between the 2 shafts as the feel was very different.

First Feel Impressions

I really could feel the additional flex in the Tour AD UB shaft.  It was not whippy by any means and it felt like other stiff shafts I have tried.  It was certainly easier to feel load up in the transition.  Like I mentioned above, it certainly wanted to send the ball higher than may HZRDUS Blue, which I was curious about as they both have very stiff tip sections but the Tour AD UB is more flexible in the butt section.

I do like the feel of the Tour AD and as I swung it more, I was getting more comfortable with managing the loading after 45 swings.  I think once I have more time with the club, I will be better able to work with this.

I headed to the outdoor range today for some more testing but due to overnight rains and the current sodden nature of NE Wisconsin, Nick (the Golf Course Owner Guy) was requesting that we not hit past 150 yards.  I will try again tomorrow and capture some action shots and video as well.

Another trip to the Trackman is planned if weather prevents outdoor range time or play this week.  I plan to use more correct height tee and then will collect a set of approx. 20-25 shots per driver setup for a better comparison of dispersion and other data points.

First Outdoor Range Impressions

FINALLY, I got to hit off of grass today!!!!   I had to work a bicycle race on Saturday (I am a race official for USA Cycling) and our area has been awfully wet this summer so far, meaning I have not had the chance to get to the full range at Royal St. Patrick's Golf Links for a bit.  No launch monitor data to be had but I was able to make some good swings with the new weapon today.

After warming up, I hit three groups of 5 balls with the new shaft, and hit other clubs in between these sets.  

The Tour AD UB shaft loads really easily without feeling whippy.  I was focusing on "stock" driver swings today, around 100 to 102, and was using my normal lower tee height.

I was able to find the middle of the club face consistently and had 4 real misses and the rest acceptable drives.  2 misses were hard left in the first 2 swings.  The shaft was encouraging me to really roll through impact and I gave into the temptation.  Later, I also just fanned the face open on one swing (my scary miss at the moment) and also hit a slightly over the top slice on another.  Other than those swing faults, I was pretty consistent with a draw and very nice height.

Exceedingly comfortable session with the stock swing effort. I do not feel like I have to aggressively swing this stick to get the shaft to work.

I am VERY happy with the first experience off of grass and looking forward to my first round this week.  Will report back with more pictures and ARCCOS data following the round.

That's all for now.  This process has been fun already and I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks of focused work.

Thanks again to MyGolfSpy and Graphite Designs for this opportunity and to all y'all following along in the forum. 

Edited by Alan Stewart
Update with first outdoor range experience

:cobra-small: LTDx 9 degree driver HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60 gr 6.0

:cobra-small: LTDx 3 wood HZRDUS Smoke IM10 Green 60 gr 6.0

:callaway-small:Callaway Apex UW 19 degree HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 70 5.5

:1332069271_TommyArmour: 845 Max 7 wood, Tensei CK Blue 75 gr S 

:Takomo:Takomo 101T 5 to PW KBS Tour R

:vokey-small:SM10 50.8F KBS Tour R,  SM9 54.12D DG S200,  SM9 58.12D DG S200

:nevercompromise-small: Voodoo

:maxfli:Maxfli Tour X

Pics and unboxing to come but the shaft has been tipped 1.75”, prepped, and adapter curing. Will be throwing a tour velvet align grip on it later tonight and first swings are tomorrow morning on the first tee!

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

42 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

My heart always skips a beat when I see people post pics of their builder using a knife on the tip while mentioning scraping the paint off lol. I’m a sandcloth guy for tip prep as one wrong move with the knife and it’s no bueno. 

Well, I've got no experience there - so I'm far too trusting...  He said some folks use a belt sander, but he won't because that can make the shaft uneven - could take off more than just the paint on one side.  Anyway, it was all interesting.  I'm sure he thought I was a little crazy for wanting to watch, but I explained what was going on and he said "come on in" - just didn't know he was going to get peppered with so many questions. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

29 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Well, I've got no experience there - so I'm far too trusting...  He said some folks use a belt sander, but he won't because that can make the shaft uneven - could take off more than just the paint on one side.  Anyway, it was all interesting.  I'm sure he thought I was a little crazy for wanting to watch, but I explained what was going on and he said "come on in" - just didn't know he was going to get peppered with so many questions. 

Oh I get it. It’s a fascinating process.  I’m a sandcloth by hand guy. No belt sander.   I have been doing it for years and still like to take my time. It can take me up to 10 minutes to prep the tip depending on whether I have much going on.   I have pulled shafts before that someone used a knife and scraped off strips of paint but not all.  If you don’t know what you are doing using the knife you can ruin that shaft quick.  

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

While getting the shaft ready to a grip I noticed something I didn’t before and haven’t seen on any GD shaft I’ve had before.  Curious what the other testers have found. 

1st this is the first GD shaft I have received without the hologram on the butt end of the shaft

2nd week is this line that perfectly matches up with the tour ad logo.    

IMG_3052.jpeg

@GolfSpy_BNG I have a similar looking line but it is aligned with the T in Tour AD.

:cobra-small: LTDx 9 degree driver HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60 gr 6.0

:cobra-small: LTDx 3 wood HZRDUS Smoke IM10 Green 60 gr 6.0

:callaway-small:Callaway Apex UW 19 degree HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 70 5.5

:1332069271_TommyArmour: 845 Max 7 wood, Tensei CK Blue 75 gr S 

:Takomo:Takomo 101T 5 to PW KBS Tour R

:vokey-small:SM10 50.8F KBS Tour R,  SM9 54.12D DG S200,  SM9 58.12D DG S200

:nevercompromise-small: Voodoo

:maxfli:Maxfli Tour X

On 7/11/2024 at 8:50 AM, kam89 said:

The Graphite Designs tour AD Di has showed up and the orange is absolutely stunning. The shaft feels almost weightless. I'm headed to get it built today. Here are a few pictures of the beautiful shaft.20240711_023027.jpg.1c83c56c4eab83005f1a10fdf42a863c.jpg20240711_023125.jpg.6c4f4d116f4062ed79a1eee713e73f49.jpg

20240711_023120.jpg.f13dbd64c79ad3a79865bff891930d91.jpgI'm also including a baseline and dispersion chart with my current driver a taylormade M6 Mitsubishi chemical 606 r. 20240711_031202.jpg.f2933a306090b8c878d7ba53568ca7af.jpg20240711_031220.jpg.258a8dc65eda5873209ce06aa1950d22.jpg20240711_031415.jpg.e0bbc4607f3863b4edb9ecf187f92741.jpg20240711_031435.jpg.0e9e10e63153f14758b0689f997fff13.jpg

I honestly think the new orange of the DI might be my favorite color for GD shafts. Really pops 

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I honestly think the new orange of the DI might be my favorite color for GD shafts. Really pops 

It looked really good on the original Paradym! 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

1st this is the first GD shaft I have received without the hologram on the butt end of the shaft

2nd week is this line that perfectly matches up with the tour ad logo.    

1 - no hologram - just a barcode

2 - I did not notice a “line” but then I went looking really hard and really close under different light and there is a slight line. I’d call it more of an imperfection. So slight it’s hard to capture on camera.  Not the white reflection of light but a slightly lighter shade of blue just below the bottom of the cross of the T. IMG_6619.jpeg.1d78731d0d65f862853eca8caed8c07b.jpeg

I'd never have notice if you hadn’t asked about it. Luckily it’s positioned down so I won’t be obsessing about it while standing over the ball…

Swing thoughts “posture, pressure in lead foot, trail shoulder back, don’t look at the light blue line, it doesn’t matter, tempo, stop looking for the line you can’t see…”

Edited by WaffleHouseTour

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

It really is stunning I stuck a white swing science grip on there found my self admiring it a tad to long

I'm good at wedge dribbling

26 minutes ago, kam89 said:

It really is stunning I stuck a white swing science grip on there found my self admiring it a tad to long

That looks great

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

3 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I may have been one of those guys that took a little too much off a tip with the belt sander back in the day... Was one of the first times I installed a graphite shaft and I was using my own driver for practice. It was an old ProForce V2 shaft that had a ton of paint on it that I was removing. Sure enough I took off too much and the head came loose my next round. Lucky for me the head didn't go flying but I was going off the tee with my 4 wood for the rest of the round. Know what they say. You will always learn far more from your mistakes than your successes. I never made that mistake again and couldn't even count the number of graphite shafts I worked on after that. 

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

Got some quick data this morning as the only guy near the course for a bit. Took the Flightscope Mevo Plus with me. I just did a quick setup instead of the full monte. The distance was off a little but overall flight seemed good.IMG_0041.pngIMG_0045.png

The combo of the VF and Callaway Smoke AI TD Max was lights out.  Lead to a 37/36 +1 day. Hit 8/14 fairways but the others never strayed more than a few yards off.

Even had this beauty into the 296 par 4 6th. Nothing like landing on and sticking it for an eagle putt. Tap in birdie. IMG_3053.jpegIMG_3054.jpeg

Added a little unboxing/first impressions to my review post. 

I gotta say this shaft really pops in the sunlight and while it is Tiger’s shaft, I felt like Rory today hitting high draw bombs!

IMG_3055.jpeg

22 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I gotta say this shaft really pops in the sunlight and while it is Tiger’s shaft, I felt like Rory today hitting high draw bombs!

IMG_3055.jpeg

That combo looks sick!  

These shafts look awesome.  Very impressed with the testers installing their own tips and prepping them.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

Went out to the practice pad to try out the new shaft. Warmed up with a dozen half wedges. Then a dozen six irons. Grabbed the old driver to set the baseline.  Hit the first shot and didn’t hear anything. Hit another and the iPad was still silent. Went to take a look and got the “your iPad has turned off because it’s too hot. Wait until it cools down and try again” message. I took that as a sign that maybe I should wait a bit…

IMG_6626.jpeg.ccfa66a8a6b5f58015c756cc822d578d.jpeg

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

IMG_3055.jpeg

Love the red on black

I'm good at wedge dribbling

Got out again this morning at first light to stay out of the heat.  I gotta say it may just be the honeymoon period but the TD Max/VF almost feels like cheating. 

2 terrible swings and a driven green are the only blemishes when it comes fairways hit 11/14 FIR is a great feeling and most may consider the green a fairway hit. Had 2 of what I like to call piss missles.

1st a 316 uphill the whole way par 4 just barely short of another eagle putt!IMG_3060.jpegIMG_3059.jpeg

2nd and no this isn’t the same photo but it is the same hole as yesterday lolIMG_3061.jpeg

Got out again this morning at first light to stay out of the heat.  I gotta say it may just be the honeymoon period but the TD Max/VF almost feels like cheating. 

2 terrible swings and a driven green are the only blemishes when it comes fairways hit 11/14 FIR is a great feeling and most may consider the green a fairway hit. Had 2 of what I like to call piss missles.

1st a 316 uphill the whole way par 4 just barely short of another eagle putt!IMG_3060.jpegIMG_3059.jpeg

2nd and no this isn’t the same photo but it is the same hole as yesterday lolIMG_3061.jpeg

Bombs!  Who needs irons.......

image.png.ce2c040b5e97e1c06d444f0e1ce5871e.png

2 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Bombs!  Who needs irons.......

image.png.ce2c040b5e97e1c06d444f0e1ce5871e.png

I assure you I used my fair share of irons which are equally amazing lol.    

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I assure you I used my fair share of irons which are equally amazing lol.    

I see it now... 

par 3's - wedge, putter

Par 4's - driver, putter

Par 5's - no such thing!  Driver, putter

😆

13 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I see it now... 

par 3's - 8-iron, putter

Par 4's - driver, putter

Par 5's - no such thing!  Driver, putter

😆

Fixed it for ya as I never take full swings with my wedges unless absolutely necessary haha

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Fixed it for ya as I never take full swings with my wedges unless absolutely necessary haha

Haha. Perfect!  

I'm glad to see the driver/shaft combo working so well!  

19 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Haha. Perfect!  

I'm glad to see the driver/shaft combo working so well!  

Me too. I’m trying to find the data as I had the VF/Smoke TD on the regular mevo for a session or 2 before moving it. Obviously not same day or even month/year but I’m curious the difference in tipping and head

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Me too. I’m trying to find the data as I had the VF/Smoke TD on the regular mevo for a session or 2 before moving it. Obviously not same day or even month/year but I’m curious the difference in tipping and head

I'm sure tipping it gives you more control of the shot as it should stiffen it some. 

14 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I'm sure tipping it gives you more control of the shot as it should stiffen it some. 

That’s for sure. I don’t know if I mentioned it here or our slack channel but there is zero head twisting even with a toe strike. 

I went back over the Mevo plus data I posted yesterday from the first tee warm up. No range just set the Mevo and swing. I removed the first 2 swings as one was a bad pull and the other an open face to compensate.   7 shots kept with zero warm up and a 10 yard dispersion🤯 IMG_0046.jpeg

I did find this from January. Not apples to apples but still some stats none the lessIMG_3064.png