Tuck or Untuck Golf Shirt Playing Golf

I'm an Un-tucker. Lets just say that my belly limits my ability to KEEP a shirt tucked in. I do think they look better tucked in but my girth makes it hard to find a shirt that allows me to tuck it in and not look like my grandson wearing one of my shirts.......(He's 6 years old)

Edited by wendtrgw

Richard Wendt

Tucked.  Maybe I'm a grumpy old man, but I see a steady decline in standards or behavior and comportment going on around me, and I'm doing what I can to hold back the tide 😃 Tuck your shirt in, wear your hat with the bill forward, take it off to shake hands at the end of the round.  Ours is a game of standards, let's try to maintain them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 driver w/Tensei White S, Cobra F9 3W & 5W w/Hazrdus Black S,  Mizuno Pro221s 4-PW S-300s .75" long,   TM MG series 50,54,58.  GP Z-Grip, Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter.   

Untucked. I have to tuck my shirt in for work so I can’t bring that feel to the course.  I need some separation.  

Thinking back though, when I was on the high school team I was routinely yelled at for not tucking in and for taking off my hat.  Always the contrarian. 

Edited by AndySP

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

Definitely a tuck in 

WITB

Callaway Rouge ST Max D driver

Titleist TSR2 fairway 

Titleist Tsi2 fairway

Titleist TS2 Hybrid

Titleist T300 irons

Vokey Wedges SM8

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist LinkMaster bag

Tucked unless it is so hot and humid like the Florida Keys last week.  

Ping G425 Max

callaway epic 3w

callaway razr 4h

Ping G430 5 - W

callaway jaws 50/52/56 

scottie phantom 5.5

I guess I'm more a fan of individual autonomy than most. I'm in favor of golfers wearing their shirts however makes them.most comfortable on the course. Who gets hurt if you wear your shirt tucked or untucked? I get so tired of people telling other people how they should look, how they need to be in order to please others. Ugh!

Still swinging after all these years

I always wear a collared shirt, tucked in, with a belt - because my generation always has. However, where some of my peers are militant about that tradition, I really don’t care. When someone shows up to play untucked, doesn’t bother me AT ALL. I rarely tuck in my shirt off the golf course…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

Entirely dependent on the shirt. Some of them are a touch shorter than others) I'm 6'5" and the XL's I wear are all over the place in terms of length.  

Shorter: untuck

Longer: tuck. 

In general I prefer to tuck it in, but don't really have a preference on what anyone else does. 

Good morning Spies,

I am a tuck it guy all the way.  Of course I grew up where you would get asked to leave a muni course if you didn't have a collared shirt. I was also told by my father that if you look good, you'll play better. Lastly, no matter what course I am at, no one has ever bothered me for wearing slacks and a tucked in collared shirt.

David Staller

I tend to agree that Untucked feels more comfortable and less restricting.

But I also come from old-school and feel the urge to Tuck in my shirts.

I even go as far as getting my golf shirts tailored if they are too long (a hem.. Callaway shirts), so that if I do feel I want to untuck them, I can.

Also, it feels like I'm breaking some club rule if I don't tuck in my shirt.. (Yes, I know.. a lot of guilty conscience)

So In between for me, I suppose it depends on my mood and how "stuck-up" the club is that I'm playing at, to make me feel guilty for not tucking in my shirt.🤦‍♂️

MY WITB list

Bag: Adidas 7 way stand bag

Cart: :Clicgear: Model 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9°

FW: :wilson_staff_small: D9 Fairway 

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: Launcher

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D9 4 - PW

Wedges: :ping-small: S159 - 50deg, 54deg, 60deg

Putter: :taylormade-small: Kia Ma Daytona

Ball:  :taylormade-small:Soft Response,  :srixon-small: AD333, :callaway-small: Supersoft

2024 Tester - :ping-small: S159 wedges. See my review here:

I never tucked my shirt in when I lived in Orange County. Majority of California people are more casual. When I moved to the south, everyone tucks in their shirts. I only do it for tournaments or playing nice courses like Pinehurst. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX or Srixon ZX 2 Iron - ADDI 105X

Irons:  :titelist-small: T200/T100S Black 4-AW - MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.10S & 58.04T MMT 125TX (Soon to Test Toura Wedges with MMT 125TX)

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I’m in the always tucked in camp, but I don’t mind others having it untucked as long as the shirt is made to be worn that way (like you see on the LPGA).  Untucked with a long shirt tail hanging looks sloppy to me unless it is paired with a towel stuck in the back pocket. 🤣

Team Untucked, forever and ever. Amen

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k 10.5° turned up 1°  w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3w::ping-small: 14.5° G425 Max Newton 6 dot

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

5i-PW:  :ping-small: Blueprint S with DG S300

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

I’m team either! I can play tucked or untucked! Some clubs I play at, have a tucked policy. (Although not strictly enforced after tee box #1) I’m 44, and grew up playing tucked, so I guess that’s why I doesn’t bother me much. But for the past 5-6yrs, I’ve been team untucked. Except for certain tracks that require it. As long as your shirt looks decent being untucked, I see no problems with it. I can remember during high school golf, shirt tails would come down around your knees, almost forcing you to tuck. lol, those were the days. 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

Tucked Tucked Tucked. Have to be careful saying that! Leave the untucked for the young flat bellies!

Golf is hard,

Driver: image.png.81305ef36e1f5b056fc49c420c925522.png ST-X

Woods: image.png.e7cfbeba4b06692d96bc82bc48e1ed4c.png G-430 3 & 5

Hybrid: image.png.3ac099a29c95bfe966ba73fa59b186ec.png G-430 21*

Irons: image.png.6384bfa60e06afce643221065a604913.png G-430 5-W

Wedges: image.png.46defb19a9a88060bfe7a3ab86ef40a8.png G-430 45*, 50* and image.png.82732918fda005669781e65502bc3344.png CBX Zipcore 54*

Putter:  image.png.cbde5b11302345caad0eed1a36e1b72c.pngDF 2.1 

Scott

It's funny that you bring this one up, because with current golf trends I feel conflicted. When tour pro's wear joggers/leggings, I don't know what golf fashion is anymore...I come from the generation of tucked (I'm in my 40's). Some Polo's are being made today are shorter than older polos, so I find them to be untucked on their own. Sticking with tucked for a cleaner look even though I am becoming the minority 😅.

Known by friends as the tinkerer with my clubs. I enjoy doing my own R&D on the course.

Team Sans Tuck!

With a father who was a Canadian golf pro, touring (Can) for a decade+ and having worked at another half a dozen courses over the years…and having been sent to private school (high school) - I have reached my Lifetime Tuck Quota.

I will remain untucked for the rest of my golfing days thank you!

That being said, if I’m lucky enough to be invited to a fancy private track, I will follow the lead of my host. I wouldn’t want my internal scaring to tarnish the image of another.

Golf has changed so much over the last 20years - I think the contemporary golfer doesn’t put that much stock into the more transitional appearance. Personally I don’t think that’s a bad thing. The newer styles are fresh and creative.

As long as people respect the course, staff and the other players - who cares what they look like. (IMO)

Edited by Barclay J

TM My SIM 2 / Project X HZRDUS RDX (Red/Black)

PING 410 (3-W)

PING 425 (4-H

TM P790 (4-P / 2021) 

VOKEY SM7 (50, 56, 60)

EVNROLL ER2 (Black) 

…and sometimes a cheeky PING EYE 2 - 2 Iron from the 80’s (can’t hit it for s***)

I’m a fan of untucked. I like the free flow air and my shirts not pulling as I play even though the shirts are sometimes too long for my short body haha. Although I’ll tuck if needed. 

Tucked! Golf’s origins are a professional gentleman’s sport. We need to keep up with the professionalism and tradition and keep the shirts tucked in. I still love that some courses require it and require you to remove your hat when you go into the clubhouse. 

Stealth 2 driver, Sim Max 2 3W, Nike VRPro 5W, Stealth irons, Cleveland ZipCore wedges, and Odyssey White Ice 330 putter. TP5x

Untucked, or else it's uncomfortable.

Driver-Ping G400 9° S shaft

3-wood-Ping G400 SFT 16° S shaft

5-wood-Ping TISI Tec 17° S shaft

5-SW Ping G400 Black R shaft

W2 Ping Nickel ISI 49.5°

Odyssey 2ball LH