Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Golf saved my life.......

I only played golf here and there a few times growing up.  Probably no more than 20 rounds by the time I turned 30 and then never played again.  10 years of back problems and two surgeries and I could barely walk at the age of 45.  Gained 60 pounds during that time.  I spent years with my muscles just deteriorating due to lack of movement.  It was hard to take because until 30 years old I had spent my life participating in lots of athletic activities.  Heck, before my back injury I had started competing in mini-trialthlons. During one of the surgeries the surgeon made a mistake and it really messed me up.  Physical therapy just wasn't helping and other medical treatments had stopped working to keep the pain away.  I told the doctor I was going to start playing golf and he told me I would wreck what little bit of movement I had left in my back and advised me not to do it.  I kept telling him that I needed something harsher than physical therapy to break loose the stiffness in my back and I figured I had nothing to lose by trying. 

I went and bought a set of clubs and could barely carry them to the cart at the local city course.  I made it through 3 painful holes before I was on my hands and knees in the middle of the fairway crying from the pain from swinging the clubs.  I went back every few days and could make it through 5 holes by the end of 2 weeks.  After each attempt, it would be hard to stand upright for the next 48 hours.  I kept at it for months before I could play a full 9 holes. The staff at the course became concerned a few times when I had to ask them to help me to my vehicle.  It was excruciating. But I kept golfing.

Little by little, I felt muscles and tendons in my back that had long been seized up start to break loose.  I slowly felt my back muscles start to support my weight again.  There were times when something would pull or tear in my back that would put me down for a couple of weeks but I would get back up and head back to the course as soon as I could.  After about a year I could tell that my life was physically changing for the first time in a long time.  I had been ready to give up and accept a life of being disabled and unable to do a lot of things in life and with my family.

It is a little over 2 years later now and I live a normal life with only a small amount of daily back pain.  I moved to a neighborhood with a golf course so that I can jump out there in the evenings and play at least 9 holes about 3 or 4 times a week.  I have lost 50 lbs recently and have improved my personal and work life tremendously.  I traded one handicap for another :).  Golf saved my life.  

P.S.

I have become a bit of a gear head and swap shafts and clubs way too often and event re-tip my own clubs and bend my lofts and lies.  Also, the club I joined lets us drive our own carts from our house on the course.  I've geared it out with an air conditioner, train horn, built in tablet, speaker system, etc.....    I catch a lot of flack from my friends for being a little too obsessed with golf equipment these days....but that's ok with me.  I have been following mygolfspy articles for a couple of years now and make a lot of my ball and club choices based on them.

Michael Smith, recently moved to Birmingham, AL from Sarasota, FL

I make Bushwacker Cocunut Rum Cream when I'm not golfing

Ping G430 Max 10K Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood

Ping icrossover 2 iron

TM Stealth 5-pw

Cleveland RTX 48, 52, 58(bent down to 56)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

20240621_190250 (1).jpg

Edited by Bushwacker Mike

Michael Smith, but people call me Bushwacker Mike because of the booze I make 🙂

11 Jekyl and Hyde handicap.....80 one day, 98 the next.

Change clubs and balls too often to update here.......but I know its my swing......

Wow! What a story. You hear a lot about golf ruining lives but rarely saving. So cool that it has helped you so much physically and I can only imagine just as much if not more mentally. I love it! 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 
3W - Callaway Rouge 
5W - Ping G 30 (bought it used in 2018 and will love her forever) 
2I - Taylormade P790
4I-PW - Ping I59
56* and 62* - Vokey SM9
Scotty Cameron - 2020 Special Select Del Mar 
Titleist Prov-1

@Bushwacker Mike great to hear your success. I too have gone through my fair share and golf is what keeps me moving.

I broke my back skiing close to 40 years ago and they wanted to fuse my spine in the L2, L3 area. I opted out since the technology back then was less than reassuring. A few months of physical therapy didn’t help much. I would lock up like a tree trunk over the winter. I decided I needed a lot more motion and stronger back muscles, so I took up golf at age 30. At 45 we moved south. This allows me to play year round and my back has been just fine. I did have an accident and wound up losing my spleen and they found a tumor on my right kidney at that time. The “c” word was scary but they said on the kidney was the best. They cut it out and no treatments were needed. Within two weeks I lost my spleen, then 1/2 a kidney. That was 5 years ago. I play 18 at least twice a week and I walk the course.  I think I turn better without an organ and 1/2 getting in the way.🤣

They said I would be back in less than 2 years for a spinal fusion. I proved them wrong. Golf is great therapy. 
Keep it up Mike.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Awesome story, glad it worked out for you and you are able to play the game!

And, welcome to the forum!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Great story! Welcome to the forum and thank you for the great read.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

First, thank you for sharing!

Inspiration is harder and harder to come by these days, and you sir, are inspiring!

I hope your journey in life, and golf, continue to develop in a positive direction!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Great story @Bushwacker Mike!  Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.  It's a great place here.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

On 7/28/2024 at 5:46 PM, Bushwacker Mike said:

I only played golf here and there a few times growing up.  Probably no more than 20 rounds by the time I turned 30 and then never played again.  10 years of back problems and two surgeries and I could barely walk at the age of 45.  Gained 60 pounds during that time.  I spent years with my muscles just deteriorating due to lack of movement.  It was hard to take because until 30 years old I had spent my life participating in lots of athletic activities.  Heck, before my back injury I had started competing in mini-trialthlons. During one of the surgeries the surgeon made a mistake and it really messed me up.  Physical therapy just wasn't helping and other medical treatments had stopped working to keep the pain away.  I told the doctor I was going to start playing golf and he told me I would wreck what little bit of movement I had left in my back and advised me not to do it.  I kept telling him that I needed something harsher than physical therapy to break loose the stiffness in my back and I figured I had nothing to lose by trying. 

I went and bought a set of clubs and could barely carry them to the cart at the local city course.  I made it through 3 painful holes before I was on my hands and knees in the middle of the fairway crying from the pain from swinging the clubs.  I went back every few days and could make it through 5 holes by the end of 2 weeks.  After each attempt, it would be hard to stand upright for the next 48 hours.  I kept at it for months before I could play a full 9 holes. The staff at the course became concerned a few times when I had to ask them to help me to my vehicle.  It was excruciating. But I kept golfing.

Little by little, I felt muscles and tendons in my back that had long been seized up start to break loose.  I slowly felt my back muscles start to support my weight again.  There were times when something would pull or tear in my back that would put me down for a couple of weeks but I would get back up and head back to the course as soon as I could.  After about a year I could tell that my life was physically changing for the first time in a long time.  I had been ready to give up and accept a life of being disabled and unable to do a lot of things in life and with my family.

It is a little over 2 years later now and I live a normal life with only a small amount of daily back pain.  I moved to a neighborhood with a golf course so that I can jump out there in the evenings and play at least 9 holes about 3 or 4 times a week.  I have lost 50 lbs recently and have improved my personal and work life tremendously.  I traded one handicap for another :).  Golf saved my life.  

P.S.

I have become a bit of a gear head and swap shafts and clubs way too often and event re-tip my own clubs and bend my lofts and lies.  Also, the club I joined lets us drive our own carts from our house on the course.  I've geared it out with an air conditioner, train horn, built in tablet, speaker system, etc.....    I catch a lot of flack from my friends for being a little too obsessed with golf equipment these days....but that's ok with me.  I have been following mygolfspy articles for a couple of years now and make a lot of my ball and club choices based on them.

Ping icrossover 2 iron

TM Stealth 5-pw

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

20240621_190250 (1).jpg

Great lesson in perseverance! Glad to hear how the game has changed your life for the better!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

On 7/28/2024 at 4:46 PM, Bushwacker Mike said:

P.S.

Ping icrossover 2 iron

TM Stealth 5-pw

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

20240621_190250 (1).jpg

Nice read brother!!! So happy for ya too! I’m a gearhead too, so many shafts and I love working on my own stuff. My back dr encouraged me to play golf. He said it would be good for my recovery. Your comment was inspiring!

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558