Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

PXG Gen 7 Irons - 2024 Forum Review

15 minutes ago, Coulter said:

So far I’m in the same boat with the Gap wedge. While I’ve had some really good shots with it I’m not seeing the yardage I want to see on the course compared to what I get from my 50 degree approach wedge from the sub70 irons. I’ve had a relatively small sample size so it could just be me at the moment and more testing is definitely needed.

Isn’t the PXG Gen 7 GW 49 degrees? Or did you both have yours bent to 50? I did notice I didn’t hit mine as far as my Titleist 150 GW. However, the Titleist is 48 degrees bent to 47. The 2 degrees makes a big difference. 

Play like a champion today!

13 minutes ago, Javs said:

Isn’t the PXG Gen 7 GW 49 degrees? Or did you both have yours bent to 50? I did notice I didn’t hit mine as far as my Titleist 150 GW. However, the Titleist is 48 degrees bent to 47. The 2 degrees makes a big difference. 

Mine is bent to 50*  we adjusted all of my irons to match my wedges. The GW replaced my 50

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

29 minutes ago, Javs said:

Al mine were bent to 1 degree weak to assist with height.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

8 minutes ago, Javs said:

Even playing the same irons, we all get slight tweaks with lofts and shafts. So even the same irons will play different for each of us. 

Exactly! I had no clue how important it was before joining MGS and finally deciding to get fit how true that statement is. It is interesting that the Gap wedge is a bit shorter for multiple people. I don’t know nearly enough but it crossed my mind the other day that I wonder if I should get a different weight for that club. I’ve not hit enough full shots with the gap wedge to determine a decent idea for yardage yet but it seems like there is a relatively large yardage gap between pitching wedge and gap wedge for me.

Edited by Coulter

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

17 minutes ago, Coulter said:

Exactly! I had no clue how important it was before joining MGS and finally deciding to get fit how true that statement is. It is interesting that the Gap wedge is a bit shorter for multiple people. I don’t know nearly enough but it crossed my mind the other day that I wonder if I should get a different weight for that club. I’ve not hit enough full shots with the gap wedge to determine a decent idea for yardage yet but it seems like there is a relatively large yardage gap between pitching wedge and gap wedge for me.

When I get back from vacation I hope to be healed up and ready to fully test these clubs. The few shots I did hit with the GW were dead straight and a nice flight. However, I felt like I had to really go after it to get the expected distance. I would hate to game these and have to put the Titleist GW back in the bag……Some of it might also be that I put the MMT 105’s in the PXG’s

Edited by Javs

41 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

THIS is really interesting to me, to see you two being on the fence about the set gap wedge. As I've mentioned, for me it's a highlight...I'm really really happy to have one back in the bag.  My gamer bag before this test had a 48 degree SM9 in that spot in my bag, but it was shorter and frankly less confidence-inspiring than the Gen 7 set wedge I get to use now.

Funny.  To each his own...

This is the first set GW I have ever had in my bag and that may be why it's not as comfortable for me.  It's a much wider sole than I am used to and my SM9 50* was used around the greens a bunch.  I like the set GW for the more full shots but have lost a little distance with it.  

The 50* full shot is normally my 125yd shot but I also don't do many full shots with wedges unless I have to.  I normally do 3/4 shots or use them specifically for greenside shots.  

Edited by Josh Parker

40 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

THIS is really interesting to me, to see you two being on the fence about the set gap wedge. As I've mentioned, for me it's a highlight...I'm really really happy to have one back in the bag.  My gamer bag before this test had a 48 degree SM9 in that spot in my bag, but it was shorter and frankly less confidence-inspiring than the Gen 7 set wedge I get to use now.

That is interesting. Funny how different clubs can work for each golfer. I’m still going to work on the set GW when I get back. However, I really liked the Titleist 150 GW. It was 48 degrees bent to 47. 

Excellent stuff all around in this one guys from the testing results and discussion on what's in the bag.

My Gen6 iron were built 2 degree strong, so my G is 47* and then I go 52* and then 56* on my wedge gapping, it's been good gap wise.

the thought of having a 60* crosses my mind, but the only time I would use it would be really specific bunker shot, i.e. short sided or very high lip

I've already spend enough in the last 12 months, but always a fun exercise

@GolfSpy AFG personally, I would lean 7 wood. can always choke down for less distance and can hit lower flighted and punch shots with a 5 iron when needed. but I understand that's a pretty massive gap to have between the 5 iron and 7 wood. good news is you have options and it can be course dependent! 

Best of luck with the decision .... always a fun exercise 

Love some good Breakfast Tacos and Biscuits

Driver: :PXG: 0311BlackOps     

Wood: :PXG: 0311 Gen 6, 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons: :PXG: 0311P Gen6,  4 iron - Gap Wedge

Wedges: :PXG: Sugar Daddy II, 52* and 56* 

Putter: :PXG: Battle Ready II, Bat Attack 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: :Arccos: and :918457628_PrecisionPro:

2024 Caddy Daddy Claw Glove Test

17 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

It's an interesting topic on iron gap wedge or aftermarket. I'm playing the gap from PXG and it's the one club that is on the fence for me. It has its high points on a few 1/2 knockdown shots but full, I personally feel like my sm9 does better.  

I play 50, 54, 58 and pulled my sm9 50* to play the PXG 50.  

I went set GW mainly because it was my last full swing club and I wanted those full swings to have the same look and feel. My specialty wedges are now just 54/60. So far it's worked out for me.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

18 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I went set GW mainly because it was my last full swing club and I wanted those full swings to have the same look and feel. My specialty wedges are now just 54/60. So far it's worked out for me.

Yeah, PW has always been my last full swing club so it's been a change. 

9 hours ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

I do like the GW and have one in my sub70 set. The only issue I have with it so far is I can’t seem to get the same distance with a full shot that I typically got with the sub70 GW. I think it may be mostly I’m not swinging very consist With it at the moment but time will tell. I do REALLY like it for those 3/4 shots though. From about 75 yards out I have now come to rely on this club over my previous favorite which was my 54 degree sub70 wedge. The ball comes off pretty high and lands really soft with this gap wedge.

I was able to get another round in yesterday with the PXG Gen 7 irons and they are quickly finding a firm place in the bag.  I hit 11/18 GIR.  I know it was mentioned the other day about the lower spin and I do see that on some shots and others, I am getting plenty of stopping power with the added height of the shot.  I think at the end of the day, if the greens are firm, you just have to play it short of the pin and know it's going to take a few extra yards to stop.  

Before we are done testing, I am hoping to have 30 plus rounds and countless range sessions in on these irons so that we can get a good idea of durability.  If there are other items that anyone wants to see, please let us know!

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

I was able to get another round in yesterday with the PXG Gen 7 irons and they are quickly finding a firm place in the bag.  I hit 11/18 GIR.  I know it was mentioned the other day about the lower spin and I do see that on some shots and others, I am getting plenty of stopping power with the added height of the shot.  I think at the end of the day, if the greens are firm, you just have to play it short of the pin and know it's going to take a few extra yards to stop.  

Before we are done testing, I am hoping to have 30 plus rounds and countless range sessions in on these irons so that we can get a good idea of durability.  If there are other items that anyone wants to see, please let us know!

how do they look standing over the ball compared to the Srixon's? Do they look a little "clunkier" 

committed to performance excellence

4 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

how do they look standing over the ball compared to the Srixon's? Do they look a little "clunkier" 

When you are standing over the ball, they don't. PXG did a great job at hiding the extra width in the sole and not on the top line. 

20240908_092806.jpg.d3ef168347942c61f2ba07aa3fd4e20c.jpg

22 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Come on in, the water's fine.... and by water I mean PXG family

On 9/8/2024 at 3:26 PM, Jim Shaw said:

Even compared to my Titleist they do not look chunky. Top lines are similar and the PXG’s are slightly longer in the face. 

7 hours ago, Rico_de_Gallo said:

Come on in, the water's fine.... and by water I mean PXG family

DarkSide-Cookies.jpeg.2686f9d4c970763fac86baacbd6faddd.jpeg

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

Well the awesome launch monitor session I just completed about an hour ago didnt sync in the app. I decided to uninstall and reinstall the app to get the shots to sync just to find out if shots aren’t synced you will lose all the data from that session if you delete the app. lol I’ll just have to try again tomorrow. On the bright side I think I finally figured out what I’ve been doing wrong lately! I may have to redo my Pxg launch monitor session!

3 hours ago, Coulter said:

Well the awesome launch monitor session I just completed about an hour ago didnt sync in the app. I decided to uninstall and reinstall the app to get the shots to sync just to find out if shots aren’t synced you will lose all the data from that session if you delete the app. lol I’ll just have to try again tomorrow. On the bright side I think I finally figured out what I’ve been doing wrong lately! I may have to redo my Pxg launch monitor session!

bummer on the lost data, but good news though .... get to hit golf balls again, hooray

So @Josh Parkerand @Coulterwhat are your thoughts on turf interaction?

I think this may have been talked about before but curious how your experience is comparing to mine.  These soles are thicker than my gamers and I’m not sure if that’s supposed to help or hurt coming out of the rough?  I’ve been playing from the rough quite a bit the way I’ve been driving it lately…

IMG_9048.jpeg

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Personally, the turf interaction does pretty well.  The wider sole typically reacts pretty well thru the fairway or rough.  Where I do see it being less reactive than my Srixon's is if I get too steep on a swing.  If you dig into the ground much, these irons dig and will give you some wrist jarring.  

46 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

So @Josh Parkerand @Coulterwhat are your thoughts on turf interaction?

I think this may have been talked about before but curious how your experience is comparing to mine.  These soles are thicker than my gamers and I’m not sure if that’s supposed to help or hurt coming out of the rough?  I’ve been playing from the rough quite a bit the way I’ve been driving it lately…

IMG_9048.jpeg

I’ll echo what @Josh Parker said a bit but add that for me I’ve had to really chop down on the ball in soft conditions to get hung up. All in all I think it works through the turf and rough really well. I’ve spent plenty of time in the rough lately and don’t see any problems at all with getting hung up. I’ve actually had some of my best shots from the rough with these irons. 
This 5 iron from a bad tee shot where I had to start the ball low and hit a bit of a fade is my favorite example of this. IMG_3986.png.bc79c1cd356e91e923d5eaf3c1544b30.png

We have talked about spin numbers multiple times and while I think we have all said the spin is less, it may mean looking at different ball options depending on course conditions.  I did a practice round today working on some things and started off with my TP5x and after having a few jump on me (firm greens) with both a 9 and PW, made a switch to a chrome soft and started having some stopping power.  This was from 157 with a 9i and I had several others that stopped within a yard or two. 

20240910_133124.jpg.0153223f9ea09323e867ae64d45f950d.jpg

20240910_133048.jpg.cc03534f787f8f638cd698bd3212973b.jpg

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

We have talked about spin numbers multiple times and while I think we have all said the spin is less, it may mean looking at different ball options depending on course conditions.  I did a practice round today working on some things and started off with my TP5x and after having a few jump on me (firm greens) with both a 9 and PW, made a switch to a chrome soft and started having some stopping power.  This was from 157 with a 9i and I had several others that stopped within a yard or two. 

20240910_133124.jpg.0153223f9ea09323e867ae64d45f950d.jpg

20240910_133048.jpg.cc03534f787f8f638cd698bd3212973b.jpg

Funny you mentioned the ball’s effect. The round I played before I left I used the Callaway Chrome Soft LS. It was easy to spin with the Gen 7’s and the Sugar Daddy III wedges. Mostly a hit a stop which I prefer!

3 hours ago, Javs said:

Funny you mentioned the ball’s effect. The round I played before I left I used the Callaway Chrome Soft LS. It was easy to spin with the Gen 7’s and the Sugar Daddy III wedges. Mostly a hit a stop which I prefer!

Yeah I need to do some course experimenting with different ones to see what works the best. I played a handful of holes this evening and got a prov1 and chromesoft tour to stop quick.