Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Best way to improve your drive

13 minutes ago, Jesse S said:

Hello golfers !

I am a Dutch golfer who is currently playing at a 54 handicap. Does anyone have any tips to get better at driving it straighter an further ?

Welcome Jesse!  Besides taking lessons to improve, there are some great YouTube channels out there that offer some decent drills. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

5 minutes ago, Jesse S said:

Thanks for tip !

Here are a couple to look at

AMG Athletic motion golf

Porzak Golf

There are a ton and you can go down a rabbit hole quick. If lessons are possible it's a decent option. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

2 hours ago, Jesse S said:

Hello golfers !

I am a Dutch golfer who is currently playing at a 54 handicap. Does anyone have any tips to get better at driving it straighter an further ?

Welcomed to MGS!  If you have the ability too, you can video your swing from different views and submit them to an online coach. You can get a swing analysis free through certain apps. You can schedule an in person lesson. You can watch YT videos, etc

Jist Being able to see your swing yourself on video can be eye opening too. 

Lots of little mechanical parts go into a swing .  Sometimes changing 1 thing can net better results, sometimes changing many things, but one at a time is necessary 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Straighten your left arm, and when you think you've straightened enough straighten it some more. As a body builder most of my life my swing has always been one with a bent left arm. Now that I've given up on the weights I've gotten back some flexibility and am now able to really straighten my left arm which has led to the best driving year of my life. Don't believe me, watch Rory McElroy, arguably the best driver in the game right now,  and you will see a long very straight left arm.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

10 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Welcomed to MGS!  If you have the ability too, you can video your swing from different views and submit them to an online coach. You can get a swing analysis free through certain apps. You can schedule an in person lesson. You can watch YT videos, etc

Jist Being able to see your swing yourself on video can be eye opening too. 

Lots of little mechanical parts go into a swing .  Sometimes changing 1 thing can net better results, sometimes changing many things, but one at a time is necessary 

A great mobile phone app for online lessons is Skillest. I have done a handful of lessons there and really appreciate the convenience of doing a lesson on your own time. There are quite a few coaches that offer a 1st lesson for free. 

On YouTube I have benefited from Rick Sheils and Danny Maude. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

@Jesse S welcome! I think it’s fair to say that how to hit a driver well is not like hitting other clubs. If you can I would definitely suggest lessons of some sort. Lately, I’ve been taking lessons that focus on two different things. I have one session that focuses on my general swing. The other session focuses on hybrids and driver.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

While there are no shortage of sites to give you swing advice, I'd highly recommend a paid lesson (Swingtweaks or Skillest are options) to diagnose what would be most useful for you. Another site I'd recommend is Me and My Golf if you're ready to commit to a long-term improvement plan to build a better swing. 

Another option... Stop hitting driver right now. At a 50+ handicap, I doubt it's really going to help bring your scores down much. You might be better off focusing on your irons and hitting a long iron or hybrid off the tee until you get down to 25 or so. 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

Depends on what you're looking for! Distance? Accuracy? For me, focusing on a clean strike with a good setup helped a ton. Then I worked on swing mechanics with my coach. And remember, a good golf swing is just the start – enjoying the game is key! Maybe treat yourself to some new golf gear with a GiftCardMall Mygift card.

Edited by Genesis17

Jesse, 

Would strongly suggest a few in person lessons if they are available near you.  You want someone to help you get into a solid way to strike a golf ball with good posture, etc.  After that you can video your self with your phone and then compare yourself to a pro swing online (Lydia Ko, Adam Scott have great swings).  Then practice what you learn.    

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago