Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

What are the odds of shooting your handicap in golf?

According to the USGA Handicap Research Team tells us a player is only expected to shoot to his or her Course Handicap once every four to five rounds, or about 25 percent of the time.

The articles I have found say that you typically shoot 2-5 strokes higher on average.

I have always found this an interesting fact, but I also wonder what it's really based off of.  I have searched the interwebs some without really finding solid answers.

How does it change if you play the same course over and over again? 

If you play at different courses all the time, does this number reflect properly?

Does this reflect with your rounds and data?

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I think that this is all dependent on the golfer. For example, someone who is in the middle of improving their game, whether they have just started out or have made an equipment change to benefit them (me last year), will probably beat their current handicap more frequently. When I started out as a 30.3 last year once I got it established, I steadily beat that until I got towards 20. Once there, I would beat that and then have rounds where I was higher. Made the next breakthrough to get to the mid teens where I’d again beat it more often than not, and now I am hovering in the 15-17 range and typically score in the 18-19 range, while having an occasional mid 80s round. 

It just gets so much harder to lower it because the room for error shrinks. Still hoping to post some rounds in the 12-13 range before the end of the season!

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

My guess is that it is based on research of players posting their scores for handicapping purposes. This is what the devised formula is designed to do.

IMO: 
if you play the same course exclusively your index may be lower because you shoot better scores because if the overall familiarity with how to play the course.   Sometimes these players struggle with their game when they go elsewhere because their handicap doesn’t travel.  If your handicap doesn't travel you will probably score worse than your course handicap indicates. 

as @GolfSpy_KFT posted handicaps will drop if you are meeting or beating your handicap.  This could be because of overall game improvement or because you know the course better.

I play a rotation of courses and find that my handicap is pretty accurate and I generally score around or slightly worse than my course handicap.  This is especially true if it is a new course or one I don’t play often.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

if you play the same course exclusively your index may be lower because you shoot better scores because if the overall familiarity with how to play the course.   Sometimes these players struggle with their game when they go elsewhere because their handicap doesn’t travel.  If your handicap doesn't travel you will probably score worse than your course handicap indicates. 

I would agree with this to a large degree, although I do think factors can play in to this outcome. 

Is it a struggle with the game or a struggle not knowing where to hit to on the course?  Most won't/don't do any homework for a new course. 

33 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

It just gets so much harder to lower it because the room for error shrinks. Still hoping to post some rounds in the 12-13 range before the end of the season!

Absolutely!

I also think time between rounds can play a big factor in how it all shakes out. 

23 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I would agree with this to a large degree, although I do think factors can play in to this outcome. 

Is it a struggle with the game or a struggle not knowing where to hit to on the course?  Most won't/don't do any homework for a new course. 

Struggle with not knowing where to hit the ball and the green complexes.   I know the breaks and speeds on greens that I have played regularly and I better know where to target the shots and where the bailout areas are located.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am a high school golfer and would agree every few rounds I able to shoot my handicap of 10, but it depends on so many factors, ie the course and whether I’m familiar, the weather and how good I’m tuned to my mental game. I do find it tougher at my current handicap to get it lower though than it was when I was shooting in upper 80s

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Struggle with not knowing where to hit the ball and the green complexes.   I know the breaks and speeds on greens that I have played regularly and I better know where to target the shots and where the bailout areas are located.  

We see all the pros play practice rounds and really dig into the course. It helps them minimize those struggles on new courses. 

I know the first time I play a new course, even with some homework online, I never shoot lights out. After one or two rounds though I do expect to shoot pretty close to my handicap. 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I play a rotation of courses and find that my handicap is pretty accurate and I generally score around or slightly worse than my course handicap.  This is especially true if it is a new course or one I don’t play often.  

Thinking more about this and just the overall handicap.  Is it a flawed system to a degree?  I was just looking at some courses on my "away" handicap and they are all very similar.  Knowing the outcome on a new course almost 100% of the time, shouldn't the system have some record of statistics showing worse scores on away courses?

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

IMO: 

as @GolfSpy_KFT posted handicaps will drop if you are meeting or beating your handicap.  This could be because of overall game improvement or because you know the course better.

Chris is spot on as this applies to me. Most of my rounds are at my home course. I know the spots to hit, the speed slots on the fairways, the greens. I am close to hitting my handicap or beating it most of the time. When I travel to unfamiliar courses I am about 5 strokes higher on average. 

Even doing my homework on a course ahead of time helps a bit but its always different when its in front of you. The last few away rounds with unfamiliar courses, one way harder (Royal New Kent) one bad condition (Twin Valley) one in good condition and challenging (Reserve Club in St James) all resulted in 4 to 5 strokes over my handicap.

I'll never figure out the handicap system. Its supposed to be what you are capable of doing. Two days ago it was a 0.3. I played yesterday and shot a 67, I was more than happy to say the least. After the round was posted it said my pending index will go to a 0.4.

Truthfully I really don't care what it is. I don't play in tournaments or member outings, shoot outs or whatever. I play to have fun and play the best I can. Me against the course. My course wants us to have a handicap in the system. That's the only reason I keep one. I do play in charity scramble formats often but thats about it.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

5 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Even doing my homework on a course ahead of time helps a bit but its always different when its in front of you. The last few away rounds with unfamiliar courses, one way harder (Royal New Kent) one bad condition (Twin Valley) one in good condition and challenging (Reserve Club in St James) all resulted in 4 to 5 strokes over my handicap.

I'll never figure out the handicap system. Its supposed to be what you are capable of doing.

Ha. Yeah I don't get it either. I would just think with all the data collected at this point, the system would figure out that an "away" course handicap would be much higher than home course.  

Playing the same course technically SHOULD net you a handicap improvement imo.  Several factors on why it wouldn't would rely on the individual.  Like was already mentioned,  equipment changes,  physical issues, course conditions, etc

If you are not familiar enough or consistent enough with your distances through the bag, you will also show a reflection of that, regardless of where you play.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.