Ian Fraser and Club Champion Split!

GolfSpy_APH

Screenshot_20241018-082303.png

Wow....

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

24 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Screenshot_20241018-082303.png

Wow....

It’s cool.  He is going to be the new PGA Tour Chairman… hopefully.  

Driver: Callway Rogue St Triple Diamond 9*

2 HY: Mizuno STZ 230 16* (set to 13.75)

2 Iron: Taylormade UDI 17*

Irons: 2019 Titleist T100S 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54* and SM9 48* / Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter: PING Anser 

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Jones 

Will he step full time into more of a content creator role?  You have to figure the money from the channel vs the 9-9 grind of running a business.  It will definitely be interesting to see what happens.

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

1 minute ago, 03trdblack said:

My guess is he had a contract to stay on for a certain amount of time after the acquisition and now he's met that requirement. Someone that has their own business and is used running the show isn't going to just start working for and answering to someone else.

He's got plenty of money now and will likely go start something new. 

Maybe, but he was also the one who kept saying how good of a thing this was for them when the merger first happened. 

He was pretty steadfast in saying how it would help them create the content they wanted to and open up new avenues to do what they may not have been able to do in the past.

I think he will be immensely successful in whatever he does next. So will Club Champion Canada with their stores, but I would imagine that YouTube page declines immensely after Ian is gone.

Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

Just now, GolfSpy_APH said:

Maybe, but he was also the one who kept saying how good of a thing this was for them when the merger first happened. 

He was pretty steadfast in saying how it would help them create the content they wanted to and open up new avenues to do what they may not have been able to do in the past.

I think he will be immensely successful in whatever he does next. So will Club Champion Canada with their stores, but I would imagine that YouTube page declines immensely after Ian is gone.

What exactly would you expect him to say after CC just paid him a boatload of money? Can't expect him to get on YouTube and spout how shi**y CC is as a company. 😂

My bag is a revolving door!

8 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

What exactly would you expect him to say after CC just paid him a boatload of money? Can't expect him to get on YouTube and spout how shi**y CC is as a company. 😂

He addressed all of that when the original merger came out. It allowed them to expand as a company, open up more stores, bring in more business to more areas and hire more people. It was a huge boost to the development of his brand and what he wanted to do. There was definitely positive impacts from the merger and when it happened. Again they addressed all of that in separate videos. 

Money of course drives people, but given Ian has stakes his reputation on his brand and name it wouldn't make sense for him to partner with someone who he felt would drive that into the ground. 

Given all that he has given back to the golfing world and knowledge he has shared which he could have monetized a lot more I would be hard pressed to put him in the greedy category as you are seemingly doing. 

Bottom line is we won't know until he comes out with his new plan or addresses everything in further detail. 

T150 6-9 Iron                                

I didn't say anything about him being greedy. This is business 101.  A company comes in and buys another company and as part of the deal, existing leadership is expected to stay on for a certain amount of time in order to claim whatever was promised to them in the deal. Once that time period ends, 99% of the time those people move on. 

Ian built a business with a certain set of standards that frankly CC doesn't really seem to meet. They way CC conducts their business can be pretty shady and TXG never gave me that vibe.  There wasn't anything about the way CC does business that I felt aligned with the standards Ian had which is why I felt he sold out a little bit. Yes, he was able to expand stores but they aren't HIS TXG stores anymore, they're Club Champion stores and he ultimately has zero control over the business practices they incorporate. 

He cashed out, met his obligations, and is now moving on to do something else that he'll have full control over. That's all it is.  After doing this sort of venture for so long, he may be bored and wants to do something much different that keeps his interests more. 

I'm more than willing to bet Mikey will be coming with him. 

My bag is a revolving door!

Not super surprised.  I have only met Ian once so I don’t know him, but he is a really genuine guy with a knowledge about golf that is simply amazing. He is also kind with his time.

I know whatever he does next will be something the industry will be watching. 

TXG was an amazing fitting experience but it’s a tough business too.  I think selling to CC was probably a wise move. There are not that many opportunities to cash out from a business on attractive terms when you have a limited buyer universe. 

Fortunately for us he will still do his YouTube channel. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

New MGS director of Product Testing—Canada? 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX E722 16.5°, Tensei AV RAW Blue 65 S
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 19°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 22°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:callaway-small: Epic Forged 7 27°
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 7–PW
Diamond Tour Inazone 3.0 50°, 54°, 58°, Aldila NV 95 Graphite
:L.A.B.: DF3, Counterbalanced 37", TPT shaft, Garsen Quad Tour 17"

Full WITB with pictures

I was very disappointed when the merger happened, and I'm not really any happier 2 years later. TXG was such a different animal than CC in so many ways, that the merger never really made sense to me outside of both companies getting to expand their footprints.

I wonder if the name TXG is still owned by Ian and/or available for use once again. If it is, I'd think Ian may want to rebuild TXG and perhaps keep it a smaller boutique brand like it was before and get back to his roots of fittings, high quality builds, and making the content he wants. CC is a bit of a shady company in my opinion, and their costs are just ridiculous for what they offer (I was booked for an iron fitting earlier this year and they told me a set of irons would start at almost $3k). See what he can do to mend his relationship with Matt and maybe collab with him once again as well, if only on a here and there basis while Matt also does his other stuff too.

I'm happy for Ian and hope he gets back into doing what he wants and loves, regardless of what that is.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

On 10/18/2024 at 7:45 AM, 03trdblack said:

Ian built a business with a certain set of standards that frankly CC doesn't really seem to meet.

21 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

TXG was such a different animal than CC in so many ways,

My knowledge of TXG is limited to what I've read on here and a few of their vids I've watched; CC I know first hand by in person visits ... so will agree with both those comments. 

It is also likely that Ian - as an entrepreneur who built up his own successful business - did not enjoy working for a larger corporate entity as much and may be moving on after contractual obligations.

Will be interesting to see what comes next for him!

WITB of an "aspiring"  play-ah...
Driver... 
Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W... Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W... Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H... Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H... Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW... 
Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW... 
Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter... 
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
.. all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
.. ball often, not always,
MaxFli Tour/S. Or a found Pro V1/x.
.. (
dark orange text = MGS Forum inspired selection)

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

On 10/18/2024 at 7:45 AM, 03trdblack said:

I didn't say anything about him being greedy. This is business 101.  A company comes in and buys another company and as part of the deal, existing leadership is expected to stay on for a certain amount of time in order to claim whatever was promised to them in the deal. Once that time period ends, 99% of the time those people move on. 

Ian built a business with a certain set of standards that frankly CC doesn't really seem to meet. They way CC conducts their business can be pretty shady and TXG never gave me that vibe.  There wasn't anything about the way CC does business that I felt aligned with the standards Ian had which is why I felt he sold out a little bit. Yes, he was able to expand stores but they aren't HIS TXG stores anymore, they're Club Champion stores and he ultimately has zero control over the business practices they incorporate. 

He cashed out, met his obligations, and is now moving on to do something else that he'll have full control over. That's all it is.  After doing this sort of venture for so long, he may be bored and wants to do something much different that keeps his interests more. 

I'm more than willing to bet Mikey will be coming with him. 

Although I seriously doubt that this will happen, perhaps Ian will get back together with Matt Blois in a future business venture. Those two not only had such great chemistry, which Ian and Mike M. have not quite been able to replicate, although it has certainly improved greatly; Ian and Matt also produced some great online content.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

2 hours ago, silver & black said:

...and Matty boy. 😆

That would be nice, but I am not sure if will happen (see my comment immediately above this reply).

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

I wonder what the chances of being in a colder Canadian climate may have to do with it. Shorter season and given all that he had done, maybe the drive to be somewhere that isn't as seasonal would be appealing? 

I know I got that way in Canada.

T150 6-9 Iron                                

I mean, saw this coming when they came together a few years ago. Good news in Canada is that Ian built the CC teams here and I will vouch for the team in Calgary, Dave and Tim are two of the best fitters out there. I have been fit many times in the last few years and no one comes close to these guys. Can't speak for the US obviously. Actually glad to see this split so that they can make better content... hopefully. 

On 10/19/2024 at 1:09 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I wonder what the chances of being in a colder Canadian climate may have to do with it. Shorter season and given all that he had done, maybe the drive to be somewhere that isn't as seasonal would be appealing? 

I know I got that way in Canada.

That’s an interesting comment.  He grew up in the UK and still has a young family, so I guess he has lots of options. While Toronto has snow and winter, it does has direct flights to most places, so as a golf industry guy is not a bad spot.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

1 hour ago, KC Golf said:

That’s an interesting comment.  He grew up in the UK and still has a young family, so I guess he has lots of options. While Toronto has snow and winter, it does has direct flights to most places, so as a golf industry guy is not a bad spot.

Toronto also sucks.... lol

T150 6-9 Iron                                

New chapter starting soon.

Screenshot_20241023-180827.png

T150 6-9 Iron                                

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

New chapter starting soon.

Screenshot_20241023-180827.png

Interesting 

Driver: Callway Rogue St Triple Diamond 9*

2 HY: Mizuno STZ 230 16* (set to 13.75)

2 Iron: Taylormade UDI 17*

Irons: 2019 Titleist T100S 3-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54* and SM9 48* / Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter: PING Anser 

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Jones