Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

best ball for high handicapper?

BuckeyeMark

Been playing golf about a year. Right now the score is about 110. In the endless quest to get better I've got to the play where I'm thinking about the golf ball. Obviously I'm not at a place where it makes a huge difference but any difference matters.

For a while I've played Pro V1's. They aren't cheap but I've found some on the course and got some for birthdays etc. If it's good enough for the pros it's good enough for me, right?

Then I saw Srixon's ads about not playing a tour ball. That kinda made sense. So what ball should I play? I found some Srixon's AD 333 at Wally World. They seemd to fit what Srixon's "fitter" on the site said to get so I played them. They did hit well and I didn't seem to have that monster right slice I have. Maybe I was hitting better. Or maybe AD 333's helped.

So more research. It seems like I want a low spinning ball to try and get it straight. But lots of sites recommend a soft ball. That's what I don't get. Shouldn't I hit a rock so my clubs will give it the least spin possible? It seems like I should be hitting a low compression very hard ball so I don't give it any side spin and send it into the woods. Thoughts on this?

Low compression doesn't have to feel like the rock though. That's been the standard for years, but IMO while it's great for off the tee if doesn't help new players learn the feel shots in the short game area that have to be developed.

I'm not their hugest fan across the entire product line, but I'd really take a look at something like the Wilson Staff Duo or Wilson Staff 50. They're both low compression balls but neither feels like a rock, they're both quite soft actually. Well worth a look.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

To be honest I'm not sure I can "feel" the ball at all. We did do an evening of "glow ball" just for fun and when I hit that light up golf ball I could feel that it was like hitting a rock. I'm not sure if I was blindfolded and you put down a ProV1 or a Noodle or a Srixon QStar I could hit them at all (HA!) ... no, I mean if I was blindfolded I probably couldn't tell which was which by feel.

I'm okay playing ProV1's if that helps. They aren't that expensive, you always find some when playing and you can buy them "refurbed" cheaply. I'm just thinking that what the pros use and need is not what I need.

They recommend soft balls, because they assume beginners haven't developed a fast swing speed.

If you don't want to break the bank, go for something like Noodle, QStar or the e5. You probably can't tell the difference to a ProV1 but you will definitely like them better than Rock Flite, Dunlop, Slazenger and all those Walmart balls.

As a matter of fact, I always carry 2 types of balls. I start off with the Z-Star. If I notice I'm hitting everything OB and into water, I'll switch to Noodle. Much easier on your piggy bank and if you are playing like s***, no premium ball is going to help :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I definitely don't have fast swing speed. Under 100 I'm sure. A fellow had a gizmo to swing and register the speed and I was in the 80's iirc.

These Srixon's were cheap - $9.99 for 15 but they were refurbs. And they are on ebay cheap too. I like'em!

If you want a cheap tour ball look into the snake eyes from Golfsmith. They're super cheap but still performs great

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Another cheap tour level ball (they bought the patent for the Hogan Tour Deep when they sold) that performs well is the MG Tour C4. I can't say I wouldn't say not to go with a tour level ball, as everyone, IMO, benefits from the control around the greens. Another option that doesn't break the bank is to buy the previous year's tour level ball.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

If you want a cheap tour ball look into the snake eyes from Golfsmith. They're super cheap but still performs great

I don't want a cheap tour ball. I don't want an expensive tour ball. I want a ball that fits my game. That's the question here: tour ball, rock ball, soft ball - what's best for a high handicapper and why?

If you can't feel the difference! Just play Range balls there free! LOL

Just kidding I don't think there is a good anser for this question because it depends on what you are looking for. If you spray the ball all over th place then go with the low compression ball to keep spin down, if you need more control around the green go with a tour ball.

I like the nike one Rzn I think it's right in the middle of tour and non tour. Just my thoughts.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I don't want a cheap tour ball. I don't want an expensive tour ball. I want a ball that fits my game. That's the question here: tour ball, rock ball, soft ball - what's best for a high handicapper and why?

Unfortunately it sounds like you are looking for an answer that can't really be given over the internet. There is not a person on here you can say you should be playing X ball based on your game. We've never seen your game, your swing, your misses, your spin numbers ect... If you really want a definitive answer go do a ball fitting from a reputable fitter.

I think what you have here is a bunch of great recommendations of where to start your search. Quite a few ball companies also have online fitting systems that can give you a pretty good recommendation of what will work for your game.

My recommendation would be pay attention to the different balls you find on the course. Or go to your local store/pro shop and pick up a bunch of 3 ball sleeves of different types of balls. Then just play with them and see if you really notice a difference between the balls. Most of us have ended up picking the balls we play based on a lot of trial and error to see what works best, and what we can find the best deal on.

If the Pro V's are working well for you, keep playing them. If you want to try a ball that will spin a little less then try some out. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that no ball will make up for a bad swing. If you cut across a rock flite it's still going to slice.

Based on the answers other's have already given here is the list of where I would start.

tour balls:

- Pro V's or V1x (try finding deals on used mint or AAAAA balls)

- Last years Taylormade Penta TP5 (they are on sale for really good deals if you can find them)

- Those are the ones I would start with, but Srixon, Bridgestone, Nike, and Callaway all make great tour level balls

Other balls:

- Wilson Duo

- Noodles

- Srixon e5 or Q-Star

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

As a high handicapper I've always used the Srixon AD333... But have recently tried the Bridgestone E6 and have noticed my drives are a lot more forgiving IE I can actually see the ball straighten up on occasion when it starts on a fade - something I have never seen happen with the Srixon. My best mate swears by the Noodle, and he plays off a 19.

PS. Found an impressive looking Nike ball the one time that I absolutely feel in love with (until I lost it) .. Never did find out what make of Nike it actually was...... :(

Whatever is free!

If you can't break 90 no ball is going to help or hurt your game. Hate to be honest but its the truth. If ya gotta buy em go cheapa mojo's are usually $20 for 24 balls. Golfs expensive- dont waste your money on balls! Spend it on range time, lessons, and more rounds of golf!

I too am a higher handicapper and when I started out I thought that I needed to play a pro v because I wanted to be like the pros. The problem was I could never keep themuin play. The best thing I did was to go to golfballsunlimted.com and buy used dozens of a bunch of balls. That site is real helpful giving a solid description of the composition and specs of the balls. I bought 3a grade cause they are cheap and discovered that the Titleist Velocity was the best ball for me. Give it a try and see I've since dropped my round scores from the upper 90's to the 80's

Archived