Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Sandpiper Golf Course - BC, Canada

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

Sandpiper Golf Course, Harrison Mills, BC, Canada

sandpiper review-header.jpg

No Yeti here, but Sandpiper gets a MBP visit.

15 years ago in 1998 I vaguely remember playing Sandpiper on a guy's road trip. It was a terrible round and I didn't recall the course itself that much afterwards. But daily on Twitter or Facebook I kept seeing pics posted of sweeping river views and mountain vistas.

So what gives I had to ask myself? How could such a good looking course have slipped my mind that easy? In all my ignorance about my own round had I just deleted it from the drives?

The course itself is located about an hour and fifteen minutes' drive east of Vancouver, in British Columbia's Fraser Valley. Not exactly your quick jaunt to the course but works out more or less if you're willing to commit to a day trip. If however you would like to stay the night Sandpiper is part of Pretty Estates Resort, which encompasses Rowena's River Inn and the River's Edge restaurant as well.

OK Sandpiper you've peaked my interest with your spectacular photos and not to mention it's set in Sasquatch country! Well this yeti loving fool has just got to play the piper, so time to grab Mrs. Mann and head out a day's adventure.

sandpiper-enter.jpg

Now before we go any further you may want to familiarize yourself with GolfSpy Matt's Course Review Criteria

The Review:

This Russ Olsen track opened in 1998 and runs 6,500 yards from the tips and is nestled in centuries-old forest of 180 ft. Douglas Firs.

Slope & Ratings:

Men's Black Tees: 121/70.9 – Ladies Black Tees: 131/76.6

Men's White Tees: 119/68.6 – Ladies White Tees: 125/74.4

Men's Red Tees: 108/64.6 – Ladies Red Tees: 112/69.8

sandpiper_1.jpg

Course Conditions

The Greens are smooth & true, tee boxes consistently flat and the fairways tightly mowed. You can tell they take a lot of pride in presenting a well-manicured course here.

Overall though let's face it; this is not Augusta or an exclusive private course, but for a public golf course Sandpiper does a phenomenal job of keeping things tidy. Considering two thirds of this layout is often shadowed by the tall pines I was quite impressed to see how consistent the all-around conditions were throughout. I will admit there were a couple sketchy patches but overall this course is pretty lush.

Score: 8.5/10

sandpiper_3.jpg

Beauty/Scenery

What's that you say? You don't like rolling hills of towering pines, framed by gorgeous mountain vistas all set along the banks of a beautiful turquoise river. You can't stand wildlife like eagles, bear, deer, beaver or even “Sandpiper”? Well then you should avoid this course like the plague.

If you are however like the other 99.998% of us golfers out there then Sandpiper is truly a spectacular experience.

It burns me not to give this course a 10, but Matt's criteria reserves that for “Kapalua like” and I've played there. So for now we'll settle for one point less.

Score: 9/10

sandpiper_foot.jpg

Customer Service/Guest Experience

We were running a little late due to morning traffic and an unexpected highway road work so we phoned ahead. The pleasant girl in the shop told us, “Thanks, just get here when you can and we'll get ya out.” Then, the starter that day took the time explain what we were in store for and really gave us as sense of being at our home course.

All in all Sandpiper offers a friendly, non-pretentious atmosphere. It's a little laid back so don't expect a hand & foot resort or country club experience.

sandpiper_pool.jpg

Amenities

The clubhouse isn't the grandest, it's quaint to say the least, we'll just say I've seen fancier. Although there seemed to be some form of a building on the outside it pretty much consists of a trophy hallway that leads to washrooms/locker rooms from the pro shop. The pro shop though is very well stocked and I did notice a Vokey this, a Daphne's that and even some Mathew's or something.

The cart girl passed by a good four times over 18 holes and she was fully stocked with all things wet & tasty. There's also a full service snack shop after 10 and you bump into it again before 14.

After the round you can sit down on the patio at The River's Edge restaurant which is a separate building from the clubhouse. I like this set up as it felt like you were moving on another experience. Service and food here were great, but the patio view is to die for.

To cap it off the property offers Rowena's inn on the River, a grand, English-style manor that was converted into a boutique resort. I could see the pool overlooking the course and river, but reading their site it appears they also offer a spa and even afternoon tea.

sandpiper_inn.jpg

Practice Facilities

Let's just get right to it, there's no range. Yes there's a warm up net to loosen the joints, but it's never the same thing. If I was to stay at the Inn for a golf resort experience I know there would be times I'd want to wander to a practice tee and smack some balls. With that said the putting green is large, rolls true to the course and is a cart path width from the first tee. The short game area is a few steps further and offers a full bunker and ample chipping & pitching space.

Score: 6/10

sandpiper_puttinggreen.jpg

Accessibility to All Skill Levels

With tees of 6500, 6008 & 5175 neither man, yeti, woman or child will be without a place to play. Yes I would always love for a course to have some sort of 7,000 yard-ish option, but Sandpiper has other defenses to keep this all in check.

Score: 10/10

sandpiper_6tee.jpg

Difficulty

Yes it's not long, but remember those defenses I spoke of? Trees, trees, trees and they're only a few steps from the fairway. The rough is thick & grabby and shots heading into it can quickly disappear. To quote Mrs. MBP: “This rough is stupid; it's driving me absolutely insane!”

I would have to say though that the small, well undulated greens are Sandpipers true primary line of defense and put a premium on well-placed approach shots.

Trees and rough aside however, if you place your tee shots in the right part of the fairway you can be greatly rewarded for your course management and there's plenty a birdie to be found. On a whole though this isn't a overly hard golf course and can be over-powered with an accurate game.

Score: 8/10

sandpiper_11appr.jpg

Variety

Russ Olsen has done a great job taking advantage of the elevation changes the natural hillside allows. Every hole either cuts across goes up or down but I can't recall any 2 back to back holes running the same direction. The trees and multiple doglegs put a premium on tee shot placement. . I left my driver in the bag for the first 14 holes until we emerged from the trees and hit everything from 3 wood to 6 iron.

There's a lot of short to mid-length par 4's, but 17 at 440 yards into the wind felt like a 3 shot beast. The par 3's can stretch to 222 downhill and then play as short as 127 yards, but that's uphill and I made the mistake of playing a club short there.

And when you finally emerge from fourteen holes in the trees you're treated to almost an orchard like setting as things open up and flow out along the river. Here you experience new kinds of holes which now utilize water hazards and creeks to fend off pars.

sandpiper_9tee.jpg

Value

Sandpiper is public and offers very reasonable greens fees, a full rate schedule can be found here. But I would encourage everyone living in the lower mainland to take advantage of their current 15th anniversary retro pricing for this season. At $49 weekdays and $69 weekends this is a steal of a deal for such a fine course. Even with the drive factored in I could easily see myself visiting Sandpiper on a monthly basis throughout the spring and summer months.

For the tourist visiting BC this is highly recommended day trip to not only enjoy this course, but to also experience everything else the Fraser Valley has to offer.

Score: 10/10

sandpiper_16.jpg

Memorability

Sure there are a couple slightly repetitive holes, but with a glimpse of the river or mountains on almost every one it'll be hard to forget Sandpiper. OK there are no wave scorn cliffs like a Cypress Point or the sweeping pacific vistas of Kap, but this place has enough beauty that it's sure to notch a little place in your heart. I'm still thinking about shots I hit and just what I'd do different the next time.

Nidine and I both commented to each other sitting on the patio after the round looking out over the course and its surrounding beauty, just how much we could call this place home.

Score: 9/10

sandpiper_12.jpg

Conclusion

OK so while there are more BC famous courses/resorts that get way more publicity, Sandpiper Golf Course is truly a hidden gem amongst the pines. It's hard to think of another local course that adds such incredible value price wise to the golf experience. Factor in travel expenses and the fact that any Vancouverite can be sleeping in his or her own bed that night it's easy to see why Sandpiper Golf Course has found a special place in the Mann family's hearts.

With affordable green fees, accessibility to all skill levels and of course spectacular views it's easy for me to give Sandpiper Golf Course the “Best Value” award.

Total Score: 86/100

coursebadge-shadowed2.png

VISIT WEBSITE: Sandpiper Golf Course

VISIT WEBSITE: Pretty Estates Resort

sandpiper_10back.jpg

sandpiper_barn.jpg

sandpiper_innedge.jpg

sandpiper_14.jpg

sandpiper-holescard.jpg

sandpiper_flag.jpg

sandpiper_sasqinn.jpg

sandpiper_18.jpg

sandpiper_airstrip.jpg

sandpiper_5green.jpg

sandpiper_11trees.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Great review Danno! I have always wanted to play sandpiper'

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Great review Dan! Have the "best value" (and potentially other) avatars been used previously for course reviews? I think its a great addition if not. Great photos as always, those pines look like they'd be really frustrating sometimes - no chance of going over them if, as you mention, you get your course management wrong.

Just a bit more about the course review award Dan, cos ... I've been thinking... B)

I think the award idea for courses under review is fantastic. You obviously don't want a dozen different types of awards, or every course to get an award (that'd be frickn stupid - and something that another website does :lol: ). Anyway, back to my point: If there were say three or four different award categories for important course-specific elements such as value, playability (accessibility for differing skill levels), maybe a colored scale re course difficulty (maybe white/blue/black?) or whatever is most appropriate.

The other thing that'd be FANTASTIC, is if the course review awards are searchable (i.e. I enter "Canada Best Value" in the forum search field and any course reviews with the award come up). Would be great for finding/retrieving 'archived' reviews down the track if you're heading to a State/Country that you're not familiar with.

...and I'm spent... no more thinking today. :D

• SPY VIP

Just a bit more about the course review award Dan, cos ... I've been thinking... B)

I think the award idea for courses under review is fantastic. You obviously don't want a dozen different types of awards, or every course to get an award (that'd be frickn stupid - and something that another website does :lol: ). Anyway, back to my point: If there were say three or four different award categories for important course-specific elements such as value, playability (accessibility for differing skill levels), maybe a colored scale re course difficulty (maybe white/blue/black?) or whatever is most appropriate.

The other thing that'd be FANTASTIC, is if the course review awards are searchable (i.e. I enter "Canada Best Value" in the forum search field and any course reviews with the award come up). Would be great for finding/retrieving 'archived' reviews down the track if you're heading to a State/Country that you're not familiar with.

...and I'm spent... no more thinking today. :D

Love it and maybe Gold - Silver - Bronze color coding based on their overall score. Those colors kinda go with MGS now

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I hope we start seeing more of these! I love course reviews. It opens you up to new courses that you otherwise would have never heard of and it brings more people to the forums (win-win)!

I have a suggestion for the next course GolfSpy MBP, April Sound CC. Let me know what dates work for you and I'll get us a tee time!

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Wow MBP! Nice job on the review. You make me want to play it! Wish I could just run on up there for a day or two! I guess if I make it up that way I'll know where to go. Thanks for putting the review together. You sure got some great shots. I can tell it's the kind of place that pictures don't do it justice too.

• SPY VIP

Wow MBP! Nice job on the review. You make me want to play it! Wish I could just run on up there for a day or two! I guess if I make it up that way I'll know where to go. Thanks for putting the review together. You sure got some great shots. I can tell it's the kind of place that pictures don't do it justice too.

Honestly going through the 100 or so pics there's not many that really show what this place is really like.

Thx

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I'm very disappointed in this review. You didn't even capture a small portion of the beauty.... I mean Dan come on you didn't even include this:

DSC05258a.jpg

Or this:

DSC05344a.jpg

:lol: But seriously, the pictures don't do this course justice. I'm glad Dan convinced me to take the Friday off to enjoy this gem of a course. By the way, Danno you forgot to thank your lovely photographer *curtsey* ;)

• SPY VIP

I'm very disappointed in this review. You didn't even capture the a small portion of the beauty.... I mean Dan come on you didn't even include this:

DSC05258a.jpg

Or this:

DSC05344a.jpg

:lol: But seriously, the pictures don't do this course justice. I'm glad Dan convinced me to take the Friday off to enjoy this gem of a course. By the way, Danno you forgot to thank your lovely photographer *curtsey* ;)

#Zingered by my own wife.....

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I'm very disappointed in this review. You didn't even capture a small portion of the beauty.... I mean Dan come on you didn't even include this:

DSC05258a.jpg

Or this:

DSC05344a.jpg

By the way, Danno you forgot to thank your lovely photographer *curtsey* ;)

Mrs. MBP,

Zach and I never overlooked your contribution or you loveliness while we were there. We have said it before, he is not worthy.:lol:

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Awesome Sandpiper Pic!

How come this pic didn't make the course review?

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Next time when that company sponsors my gas bill to drive out there they can be included

You can borrow my hybrid!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great review and some great pics in there.

I've played a bunch of golf in Vancouver and area over the years while I was traveling. Nicklaus North was actually pretty enjoyable. Whistler. Morgan Creek?

Always wanted to play at Sandpiper but just could never make it happen.

What's in my Sun Mountain 3.5 Deluxe Bag?

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit, 9.5 degree loft, standard face setting, fade bias weighting, Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff shaft, tipped 1 inch

3 Wood - Callaway Razr Fit 15 degree loft, open face setting, stiff shaft

Irons 3 to PW - Titleist 712MB with KBS Tour Stiff steel shafts

3 to 5 iron - .5 degree flat; 2 degrees stronger

6 to PW - 1.5 degree flat; 3 degrees stronger

Mizuno MP-R12 54 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 53 degree loft; now 8 degree bounce

Mizuno MP-R12 58 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 57 degree loft; now 9 degree bounce

Titleist Vokey 64 degree - 62.5 degree lie; 62 degree loft; now 5 degree bounce

Putter - Odyssey Metal X 9

Ball - Callaway Chrome +

My Golf Site

• 2 months later...

nice pic! you got out to play today?!

Driver: Looking for a new one for 2014! Covert? SLDR? Big Bertha? Any suggestions?!

3 wood: Taylormade RBZ 3-wood, stock

Hybrid: Adams A4OS 3 hybrid (19 degree) and 4 hybrid (22 degree)

Irons: Callaway X18 irons, 3-PW

Wedges: Cleveland 588DSG 54*, Titleist Vokey SM2 60*

Putter: Nike Unitized Leo

Shoes: Adidas TOUR360

• 3 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

One of the best reviews I've ever read! From looking at the pictures, Sandpiper has already reeled everyone in. Have yet to visit the course...

What's the next golf course on the agenda?

Thanks so much. Will have to wait for things to warm up around here before I even think of reviewing something new :)

In the meantime you can take a gander at my Bear Mountain Review

www.mygolfspy.com/mountain-course-bear-mountain-resort-victoria-bc-canada/

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

I'm planning on some Hawaii course reviews in the near future. I'll definitely use the GolfSpyMBP / Matt Saternus review recipe, but no one can replicate reviews with the charm of a ManBearPig, so we'll see how they go  B)

Christmas card list - CHECK

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Archived