What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Had a nice range and putting session today. My putting felt pretty good worked on controlling my distance, and then threw about 5 balls around the hole tried to get 4/5 and did that about 5 times. Then played around on the putting green making every hole a par 2. On the range my driver felt nice my irons were hit or miss. My irons i was just hitting them just a tad fat but the swing still felt good. I tried to focus more tempo and the takeaway of my club i have a tendency to close my club face on the way back. All in all it was a good practice, was happy to be outside enjoying the weather.

Day 134’(30 May 24) - Weekly best tee scramble with my friends - today I played with the Penna persimmons and MacGregor blades.  My friend said off the first tee, “We are going to be embarrassed of your tee shots with the persimmons outdo ours with the drivers.”  Distance wise I was a few yards shorter today, but accuracy wise dead on.  We played a fair number of approaches from where the persimmons finished.  Love working those minuscule heads as the persimmons force you to really make good contact. One caveat on why we played so many 2nd shots off the persimmon drives - my friend’s back and trail hand were acting up, so his drives were messy all day.  Maybe next week we’ll be back to tit for tat off playable tee shots. 

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Finally the back felt good enough for a short range session.  Pleasantly surprised!  Took the new Cobra driver for a spin.  Prettiest high fades I have ever hit in all my years of playing the game.  Hopefully Ranger Rick can take it to the course tomorrow.  However, it’s Arkansas in the Springtime.  Rain in the forecast.  🤮

I don’t carry a fairway wood…

ball striking today... brought the FS Mevo with me but of course, i needed a firmware update when i tried to use it...

so i went through the bag 7-10 shots per club...

then onto chips and flops shots with the 56* & 60* from 10 & 15 yds...

and finished with some putting...

so overall, a pretty productive session...

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Currently Gaming:

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke 10.5, Ventus Blue Velo 6S

Woods: Callaway Ai Smoke 3W, Callaway Ai Smoke 5W, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.0 70g

Irons: Mizuno MP 245 (4I thru GW), NS Pro Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 54.10 S Grind, 58.14 K Grind 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

Range before 9.

5 foot putts and lag putting today. Follow up with some chipping from weird lies. Above the hole on a hill, below the green, across the cart path under a tree and over a bunker... You know the stuff that happens out there.

Hit a bunch of wedges per usual. Then long sticks. Focus on my hips turning and left shoulder moving up instead of back. Was squishing em pretty good actually. Tomorrow is another day. Putting, pitching, driver.

Cheers
B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

Irons have been really bad lately and I finally had enough of it that I went to the range after work. Spent about an hour just working with tempo and contact and was seeing some consistency after getting through a few really bad shots. I’ve been trying to slow down just a touch and keep the tempo balanced while letting the club do the work. I have the problem of trying to kill it every time and then does not help my game. When I get the tempo right, the ball flight is quite pleasant.

I ended my session with some wedge work. Trying to get distances down with my 54° & 58° attempting to get within 4’ or so of the cup from around 20’ out to represent missing the green with an approach shot. Results were promising with 8/39 with the 54° and 10/39 with the 58°. If I expanded that circle to 8’ out those numbers tripled. Good baseline to build on. It felt really productive and I plan to keep at it on the days when I have some free time but not enough to play a round. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Got to the range in Charlotte around 6:30, set up my Garmin and worked my way through the bag: 58 degree, gap, 9 iron, 7i, 5i, 7w, 3w, big dog, then back down, 6i, 8i, PW, 54, 64. Wound up hitting a little more than 100 balls. Early in the session I was surprised at how far my irons were flying. I was flying the gap 100 yards, which is not my norm. By the time I got to the driver I was a little tired. Garmin was giving me consistent numbers that were a bit low; I'd watch my drives bounce past the flag at 192 and the Garmin would tell me total distance was 180. Same applied with the irons. Perhaps that's because the landing area was below the tees and the radar couldn't pick up landing? Dunno. An encouraging session.

Then went to their putting green, which was a little shaggy and very bumpy, with my DF 2.1, which the guy next to me on the range commented on.

More than one putt was headed for the cup and then took a big turn after hitting a tuft of grass. Speed control was better though and I did make a 35 footer in spite (or because of?) the bumps.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

Posted (edited)

So I have a rapsodo MLM2Pro and 10*10*10 cage in the backyard that I use for practice. I have been too scared to use my driver due to chancing hitting through the net so I finally decided to buy a canvas drop cloth and put metal ringlets through one side to install at the back of the cage as extra protection. Well project complete today when I got home from work. Now time to pull out the big stick. 
I have been nursing a slice off the tee box off and on in my short golfing “career” and never had a chance to video my driver swing or really get much practice at all with driver. My irons and wedges have greatly improved but to the detriment of the driver. Well that all ends today or so I told myself. After 40 swings and all of them registering 20+ yards offline to the right and what I thought was pretty short numbers I called I off the session and decided it was time to review exactly what was going wrong with my launch monitor. 
When I say that my iron swing has improved I mean night and day difference. I almost look like I belong on a golf course from 210 to 100 yards in. All this to say… Dear God I look like my 2 year old son swinging his mom's broom at a breakable object with a driver in my hands and I can’t express enough the disappointment I felt when I saw this. 
Sorry for the long post but I thought it was worth sharing and letting someone know that A LOT more drivers will be swung in my backyard in the coming weeks.

Edited by Coulter

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

3 minutes ago, Coulter said:

So I have a rapsodo MLM2Pro and 10*10*10 cage in the backyard that I use for practice. I have been too scared to use my driver due to chancing hitting through the net so I finally decided to buy a canvas drop cloth and put metal ringlets through one side to install at the back of the cage as extra protection. Well project complete today when I got home from work. Now time to pull out the big stick. 
I have been nursing a slice off the tee box off and on in my short golfing “career” and never had a chance to video my driver swing or really get much practice at all with driver. My irons and wedges have greatly improved but to the detriment of the driver. Well that all ends today or so I told myself. After 40 swings and all of them registering 20+ yards offline to the right and what I thought was pretty short numbers I called I off the session and decided it was time to review exactly what was going wrong with my launch monitor. 
When I say that my iron swing has improved I mean night and day difference. I almost look like I belong on a golf course from 210 to 100 yards in. All this to say… Dear God I look like my 2 year old son swinging his mom's broom at a breakable object with a driver in my hands and I can’t express enough the disappointment I felt when I saw this. 
Sorry for the long post but I thought it was worth sharing and letting someone know that A LOT more drivers will be swung in my backyard in the coming weeks.

Sounds like a very nice set up. as for the driver, just keep putting in the work as you have done with the irons, and you will get there before you know it...

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

20 minutes ago, Coulter said:

I've shown my swing videos here.  I've also received some f eedback too and some genuine help also

All I can offer is to change only 1 thing at a time.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

10 hours ago, Coulter said:

Good for you for posting this, and yes "what we feel is not real" in golf so video is the best way to work on your swing, if you have access to a PGA pro it will expedite the process and get rid of some frustration, have fun with the process it is a game of a lifetime.

committed to performance excellence

Stopped by the muni but there was an event starting this morning, range and both practice greens were mobbed so I headed over to the covered range on my way to the office. I had an extremely frustrating range session, in that everything I hit was pretty much straight and where I was aiming. Why couldn't it have been that way when I played 2 days ago??? 

All kidding aside, it's still early for me so I'm still trying to remember those feels that work best for me, and when the ball isn't cooperating on the course my head starts working in overdrive, vs relaxing and going back to the simple feels that work for me. Thankfully a few more times out on the course and hopefully all will be sorted. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Just got back from the range during my lunch break. I brought my driver, 3H and 4I. My main focus was my backswing and turning my hips more. I was watching my cousins swing on Monday and looked at mine and realized I was leaving 10-15% of my swing on the table. The swing felt good and can't wait to take it to the course tomorrow morning.

:taylormade-small: R11

:1332069271_TommyArmour: 3H 18°

:adams-small: 4i-PW XTD Tour

:titleist-small: SM9 52° & 58°

Top Flite Gamer Putter (Previous: Ping Anser from my dad, but he took it back 😠😅

PFM! Pure...Magic!

Hit the range this morning and worked on driver and figured out a few things that my coach has been teaching. The FlightScope has been great at seeing the numbers and the progress.  Playing here this afternoon and hoping to see the work put into action. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Day 135 (31 May 24) - Played the weekly men’s group session today.  Had the regular clubs back in play, realizing increased distances with the Edel and Maltby irons as well as better accuracy.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Another Rypstick session this afternoon. I'm a little draggy lately and the session reflected it with an average of 88 mph CHS at the end. Decided not to add a Fit For Golf workout today; I'll try to do that at the hotel in Philly tomorrow, which appears to be well equipped for FFG with resistance bands and kettlebells.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

The other day, I realized I had been holding my irons at address wrong (pressing the heel into the ground and lifting the toe). Made an adjustment and played the best nine holes of the year.

Today, I worked more on a slow takeaway and good tempo. Did a drill where I hit 5 balls with an 8 iron at a target, 2 with the PW at another, 5 with the 8, 2 with 6i at another target, and then 5 more at the original with the 8i. Very happy with my takeaway, still need to work on not starting my transition too soon, but generally hit the balls really well. I hit the 8i target 9 times, 3 more than my goal. 

It’s been a really up and down year as far as vibes (and performance), but things are trending well.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Edel Array B-1

19 minutes ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

The other day, I realized I had been holding my irons at address wrong (pressing the heel into the ground and lifting the toe). Made an adjustment and played the best nine holes of the year.

Today, I worked more on a slow takeaway and good tempo. Did a drill where I hit 5 balls with an 8 iron at a target, 2 with the PW at another, 5 with the 8, 2 with 6i at another target, and then 5 more at the original with the 8i. Very happy with my takeaway, still need to work on not starting my transition too soon, but generally hit the balls really well. I hit the 8i target 9 times, 3 more than my goal. 

It’s been a really up and down year as far as vibes (and performance), but things are trending well.

I thought you were supposed to let the club rest with the heel down?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

13 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I thought you were supposed to let the club rest with the heel down?

I think you should let the sole rest, including the heel. My issue is I was pushing the heel down so that the toe was off the ground at address.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Ball position 

Long irons. Ball middle of stance as far away as comfortable and swing freely with full follow through 

Driver Ball as far left and away from me as comfortable. Open my hips up and ball up on a tee and feeling my left thumb resting on the shaft   Right thenar muscle replacing the power of the left thumb 

Short putts.  The ball position as far away from my front foot as possible. My eyes are on top of the path of the line of the ball to the back of the cup    My left thumb is off the shaft and on pressing on my right hand   Rapping type of stroke 

Day 136 (01 Jun 24) - Band had a charity gig at midday, so did not get out to practice till late this afternoon.  RIght knee acting - thinking arthritis is trying to kick back in - so I kept things quiet with some easy 8i/9i/PW pitches/chips with the Maltby build TS-1s - actually it was a much needed session as I learn the "feel" of these clubs and how they intertact as opposed to the SLDR's they replaced - the TS-1's soles are slightly narrower, more closely resembling the DCI 962's.  A good afternoon of easy swings and learning the clubs.  

18 hours ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

I think you should let the sole rest, including the heel. My issue is I was pushing the heel down so that the toe was off the ground at address.

Well the good golfers tend to hover the club and not sole it. And some for us is recommended 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Well the good golfers tend to hover the club and not sole it. And some for us is recommended 

Can you elaborate more on this?  Appreciate any info you can offer.

Posted (edited)

More iron practice today. Drill of hitting 3 clubs with 3 balls each to the same target (6i, 7i, 8i to 8i distance). Very happy with my contact and general shot shape. Distance control wasn’t bad, either.

IMG_3580.jpeg.5b48e5321b5e1aad2151f92381eebd4d.jpeg

Had three go much too long, and a few that went farther right than desired. Given where I’ve been the last few months, I am very pleased with the progress.

Edited by Prodigal Duffer

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

3 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Can you elaborate more on this?  Appreciate any info you can offer.

Instead of soleing the club on the ground hold it just above. It makes the take easier and typically less inside that we see from a lot of golfers. Creates constant grip pressure and less tension. Easier to create the moment into the takeaway. I know good golfers who sole it, but know far more who don’t. 

Greats like Nicklaus and Norman have talked about this .

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Day 137 (2 Jun 24) - second day of taking it easy on right knee, worked on short chips and pitches with 8i focused on setup routine.  Finished with the PW doing the same.  

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Instead of soleing the club on the ground hold it just above. It makes the take easier and typically less inside that we see from a lot of golfers. Creates constant grip pressure and less tension. Easier to create the moment into the takeaway. I know good golfers who sole it, but know far more who don’t. 

Greats like Nicklaus and Norman have talked about this .

Thanks.  I'll hace to give it a try