Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

MYGOLFSPY MASTER GOLF BALL REVIEW THREAD

The Dansome

Dunlop Duo 

I won these in the Masters MGS competition.  I have finally got a chance to play them.  A little preamble, I won 2 dozen balls.  Wilson sent me 6 dozen balls.  3 dz Duo Soft and 3 dz FG tour.  So that was pretty cool

The player:
Current gamer - Vice Pro Soft
Handicap or Ave score - 12
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 170
Trajectory - high
Putter - Odessey Works 7s

The ball:
2018 Wilson Duo Soft

Distance - Less
Trajectory - high
Spin - I cannot judge spin as I cannot play spin.
Feel - firm.  Feels very much like Vice pro Soft ball
Durability (1 round) - played 1 round and no nicks or scrapes
Rating - Casual 

Notes or writeup:
I was curious to see how this ball compared to the Vice balls I normally play.  May things were similar; including feel off the clubs and putter, trajectory and my score.  I found I had to adjust a club up after a few holes to get similar distance.  Interesting, I did not score much different than normal.  So I would not say that was a big deal as I am sure that is the reason we have 14 clubs...   

Anyways.  I'll play it again, as I have 36 of them now and it would be a shame to waste them.  I will do a write-op on the FG tour later and include a small note on whether anything changed on the Duo Soft.

- J

Nice review! I'm a big fan of the Duo, but have yet to try the Duo Soft since DSG stopped carrying W/S balls. I need to track some down.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

The player:
Current gamer - Titleist ProV1
Handicap - 6
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 160 - 165y
Trajectory - mid
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport - soft

The ball:
TM TP5x 2017

Distance - better ... at least a club and a half on the irons
Trajectory - high
Spin - hop & stop
Feel - firm but not overly harsh, good sound
Durability (1 round) - like new ... this ball shined here with me
Rating - Gamer ... may switch permanently 

Notes:
The TP5x ball is really a nice ball.  It just seems to pop off the face, especially off the irons.  That added fifth layer seems to add a few yards to my iron shots.  I hit a 6-iron layup on a par 5 during one round last week that went about 190 yards.  (that's ungodly for me!)  It's at least a club and a half longer than the ProV1 for me.  For some reason, it's also a great wind ball.  This thing doesn't curve a bit & is hardly affected by it.  I like the hop & stop, especially on the short irons.  My only tidbit with it is I would like to see a bit more spin into the greens to be able to back it up more.  But that's not a deal breaker as I can get used to it just stopping if I have to fire at a back pin placement.  Very nice sound off the putter face as well.  Seems to roll very true and stays on line without a tremendous amount of skidding.  I'm going to get another round of league play with this one tomorrow to confirm my findings but I do believe this one might become my permanent gamer.  And that's saying something since I'm a Titleist snob thru & thru!  HA!  

Will also have some pics of the balls to add later.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Vice Pro Plus

Overview: Testing was done on GC2, all results recorded. Was coming back from injury, so swing inhibited for speed, but still clean.

The player:
Current gamer - Chrome Soft
Handicap - 5.3
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 170yd usual, 145yds on day of testing
Trajectory - mid/high
Putter - Wilson FatShaft CI10 (Sentimental), Copper insert, Firm

The ball:
Vice Pro Plus 2018

Distance - Same (bang on)
Trajectory - Mid / High
Spin - Suck back / Hop & stop (~11000rpm on a full wedge)
Feel - Firm
Durability (1 round) - Scuffed but playable (depends on number of stiff wedges)
Rating - Gamer (now in the bag until something can displace it)

Notes or write-up:

Great feel on all clubs, flight is high but penetrating from the driver, spin numbers are brilliant on all clubs (low off driver, on point for 7 iron, high off wedges). Nice "click" to a putt and very consistent for distance.
Tested with a selection of balls and found the consistency ball-to-ball to be very solid.
I have them in the Lime colour and love the way they look.

Best ball I have tested across the whole bag, nearest competitors being the Vice Pro (non-plus) and the Taylormade TP5.
When you look at the cost of a bulk buy of the Vice ball they are a no-brainer for me, the performance (for me) is actually above the other major brands for what comes down to less than half the price.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Overview: Testing was done on GC2, all results recorded. Was coming back from injury, so swing inhibited for speed, but still clean.

The player:
Handicap - 5.3
Trajectory - mid/high

The ball:
Vice Pro 2018

Distance - Shorter (4 yards)
Trajectory - Mid / High
Spin - Suck back / Hop & stop (~10500rpm on a full wedge)
Feel - Firm
Rating - Gamer (prefer the Pro Plus by very small margins, but would game this happily)

Notes or write-up:

Great feel across the bag.
I found it to be one of those balls where you didn't think about it, positive or negative. There was no specific weakness where you may think "Okay, I'm comfortable with this ball playing this shot but I'd want to avoid that one", it just does what you ask.
I tested a whole range of balls at the same time and found relatively small differences between most of the premium balls, but price for the performance it's truly hard to fault these.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Vice Pro Soft

The player:
Handicap - 5.3
Trajectory - mid/high

The ball:
Vice Pro Soft 2018

Distance - Shorter
Trajectory - Mid / High
Spin - Hop & stop / Short release (9,700rpm full wedge, 5,000 partial)
Feel - Mid / Soft
Rating - Gamer (was a toss-up between this and the Pro Plus for me to go in the bag, preferred the numbers from the Plus, preferred the matte finish of the Soft)

Notes or write-up:

I have to say, I love the matte finish on these, though that's a personal thing. In lime and matte they are great to look at, easy to spot in the fairway and offer no glare on even really sunny days.
The feel is nice, softer than some premium balls but not spongy, it's a soft "click" off a putter. Still enough to know you made good contact, but not a sharp sound or feel.
The numbers for me were interesting. I was torn between these and the Pro Plus to take on as a full-time gamer. The driver spin was very slightly lower than the Pro Plus, strangely, irons were higher which gave great approach control but dropped a little distance, but strangely wedge spin was down again a little.
All the numbers were still very close, I went for the better split in figures from the Pro Plus in the end, but may game these on occasion anyway.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Vice Tour

The player:
Handicap - 5.3
Trajectory - mid/high

The ball:
Vice Tour 2018

Distance - Shorter
Trajectory - High
Spin - Hop and release (8,200rpm full wedge, 5,150 partial)
Feel - Mid
Rating - Casual

Notes or write-up:

Definitely not on par with the premium balls. Driver spin was high, while irons and wedges were all low. Ball speeds were also, surprisingly, low which combined to a lower iron distance rather than more with the lower spin.
They're okay, but clearly not a premium ball, not going to ruin rounds and if it was all I could find in my bag then I wouldn't be devastated, but definitely not a ball I'd pick when my score counts.
Great price-point, but for anyone aspiring to better scores, stick to a better ball

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Vice Drive

The player:
Handicap - 5.3
Trajectory - mid/high

The ball:
Vice Drive 2018

Distance - Longer
Trajectory - High
Spin - Release some / Roll out (8,000rpm full wedge, 4,900 partial)
Feel - Mid
Rating - Casual (in the absence of a premium ball, they're fine but I wouldn't intentionally start many rounds with them)

Notes or write-up:

Does what it's supposed to. Spin rates drop off a cliff on all clubs, meaning it's easy to be long off the tee and off your long irons. Unfortunately, they stay low through the bottom end of your bag, combined with a less than premium surface means you won't grip greens in the same way as a premium ball.
Not for me at all and I suspect it wouldn't be for anyone who doesn't struggle for distance. If distance is your problem, though, then they're actually a great ball and most people who struggle for distance won't stop premium balls with tons of spin either, so this is a great option.
Price is fantastic for what it is.
It has a market, certainly, it's just not me.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Taylormade TP5

The player:

Handicap - 5.3

Trajectory - mid/high

The ball:

Taylormade TP5

Distance - Longer

Trajectory - Mid / High

Spin - Suck back / Hop & stop (~11000rpm on a full wedge, 5,000 on a partial)

Feel - Mid

Rating - Gamer

Notes or write-up:

The TP5 is, in my opinion, the best main brand ball on the market currently, it does everything well. Low spin off the driver, solid on the numbers for irons and tons of spin off a wedge, it feels great and has good durability in terms of what you expect from a premium ball.

For me, what goes in my bag would be a clean toss-up between this, the Chrome Soft or the Vice Pro/Plus and money being no object this is a clear contender.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

Titleist NXT Tour S

The player:

Handicap - 5.3

Trajectory - mid/high

The ball:

Titleist NXT Tour S

Distance - Shorter

Trajectory - Mid / High

Spin - Hop & stop / Hop and small release (9,345rpm on a full wedge, 4,442 on a partial)

Feel - Soft

Rating - Casual

Notes or write-up:

It's a Titleist ball that falls below the ProV line...

It's alright, nothing more and nothing less. Driver spin is a little high, iron spin is uncomfortably low for me and wedge spin is okay-ish.

In the sub-premium market it is competitive in terms of performance, I'm really not sure it is in price...

I wouldn't throw them away, they're more than good enough as a spare ball, but personally I wouldn't pay to play them.

WITB:

• Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15

attachicon.gifwilsonDuoU.jpg

The player

Current gamer - Snell MTB

Handicap or Ave score - 7

7 iron distance with current ball - 165y

Trajectory - Mid

Putter - Cleveland Tfi #1 copper face (medium feel)

The ball

Wilson Duo Urethane

Distance: equal

Irons: long and penetrating, easily half club longer

Trajectory: mid

Wedge spin: hop & stop

Greenside control: can play check or release

Putter feel: Super soft, borderline too soft

Putter roll: good, but super soft feel can make distance control unpredictable

Durability: scuffed but playable

Wind: really good, very penetrating and yet sail downwind

Rating Gamer

This is a pretty awesome ball for the price, that almost shoots itself in the foot being too soft in warmer conditions. If you've got a swing speed under 105mph and love really soft spinny balls, the you gotta try the Wilson Duo U.

I found one of these today playing an afternoon 9 after work. I knew nothing about it but played it from the 2nd hole on. Shot 2 under.... Easily my best 9 of the year, obviously it was entirely the ball... I had to look it up online after the 3rd birdie to see what the heck I was playing because it just felt amazing on every shot. I would agree with almost everything in your review. The only thing I would say, is that for me, it felt amazing on the putter face. I am going to have to see about getting some more of these. If I didn't have 12 dozen K-sigs NIB I'd be more willing to just go buy some, but I think I have to play through a hundred or so of those before I can justify buying more golf balls.  

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

The player:
Current gamer - TM TP5 / TP5X
Handicap or Ave score - 5
7 iron carry distance with current ball - ~185/190
Trajectory - high
Putter - TaylorMade Rossa Mallet

The ball:
FreeBalls Club

Distance - Same
Trajectory - high
Spin - Suck Back - Would hold greens. Had some spin back and zip on wedges. 
Feel - Firm off woods / irons - Really pops off the face. Great feel with the wedges - both approach and around the greens. Nice off the putter also. 
Durability (1 - 1 1/2 round) - New wedges probably didn't help longevity. 
Rating - Gamer.  

Notes or writeup:
I recently came across this company/ball via a mate. It's a membership based "disruptive" ball. Meaning, it's another (so called) competitor to the big boys.

Straight out of the box you could really feel the urethane cover. So, I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a rock.

Once I put the ball into play, I honestly couldn't tell the difference from the TP5/X line. 

My distances were pretty spot on. Irons especially. I took my number like i usually would and the result was there. I did smoke a few big dogs that seemed to be a little shorter than i expected - Will need a bit more testing there to see if that's the ball or not. 

I will need to get another 1-2 rounds in to be totally sold as I am in LOVE with the TP5/X but as far as pricing, it's a ton cheaper than them and PRO-V.

For those of you not aware of FreeBallsClub, it's a $15 per month membership, and then you pay the $10 shipping per dozen. Now, I don't know if there is any bulk pricing breaks etc but, if you are OK with a box of good performing balls for $25 a month. I say it's worth it. 

This is not going to be for everyone though. A good golfer, someone who doesn't lose a lot of balls or perhaps plays open courses, this isn't for you. If you play tougher courses, know you will drop over a dozen balls a month - might be worth trying it out. As far as I know, you can try it for a month and cancel. 

Being up in Vancouver, the exchange rate is s***. So, the value is lost here!! 

Anyways, overall I think it's a good ball. 

***I tried to add some pictures but they were importing sideways, upside down, inside out... So i attached some PDF's - if they don't work I will fix tomorrow! 

Bee on Ball.pdf

FB1.pdf

FB2.pdf

FB3.pdf

FB4.pdf

What's In The Bag? Cobra Connect Challenge II - Instagram @joyzee1010

Driver:  RH   :cobra-small: F8+ 8*-11* Set at 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Wood: R:cobra-small: F8+ 13*-15* Set at 14.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Hybrid: RH   :cobra-small: F8 19* Rogue Pro 75 X-Stiff Shaft

Irons: RH   :cobra-small: F8  4 - GW with Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft 

Wedges: :cobra-small: King 54* 58* Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex 

Putter: RH  :taylormade-small: Rossa Mallet - Mid size Super Stroke Grip

Bag:    :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag Black 

Ball: Various

Range Finder: TecTecTec VPRO DLXS

Shot Tracking Tour Analytics: Arccos

Previous WITB:

:taylormade-small: Driver R11s 9*

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood Rocketballz Stage 2 TP 15*

:adams-small: 3 Hybrid 19*

:taylormade-small: Irons 4-PW R11

:taylormade-small: Wedges TP 52*, 56*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Putter Rossa Mallet

Instagram - @joyzee1010

• 2 weeks later...

The player:
Current gamer - Titleist Pro V1X & Vice Pro
Handicap or Ave score - 6.7
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 165yd
Trajectory - mid/high
Putter - Taylormade TP Soto

The ball:
2017/18 Taylormade TP5

Distance - better
Trajectory - high
Spin - hop & stop
Feel - soft
Durability (1 round) - like new
Rating - Gamer

Analysis

Since the TP5/X series came out last year, I've been a bit sceptical of its performance versus the Pro V1, with most of my scepticism stemming from a very poor experience with the previous generation Taylormade TP balls which I hated with a passion (felt way too hard). 

Whenever I try out any new ball, I tend to buy a sleeve (cost roughly AU$20) and play with them for a few rounds. Recently, I saw a sleeve of TP5s for $15 and thought "why not?". I played 2 rounds (1x 18, 1x 9 holes) with them, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The feeling off irons, wedges & putter was great, although not quite to the level of the Pro V1 (which was my biggest criticism of the previous TM tour balls). 

In terms of distance, I reckon I was probably gaining about 5yd off driver and this was particularly evident into the wind. Couple this with the decent amounts of spin off irons and wedges, and you have a very competent golf ball. And to top it all off, TP5s are currently on sale for AU$55, about AU$20 less than Pro V1. 

I'll be definitely gaming these in the near future.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

Mackdaddy
Current gamer - Callaway Chrome Soft 2017
Handicap or Ave score - 2.1
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 157

Trajectory - Mid/Low
Putter - Evnroll ER 3- soft feel

The ball:
Srixon Q star Tour 2018

Distance - I find that the distance is about the same.+/- 2 yards
Trajectory - mid

Spin - hop & stop
Feel -  soft
Durability (1 round) - like new the exception is full swing lob wedges scuff them everytime, far less than the

Pro V1

Rating - Gamer

Notes or writeup:
I find it is plenty soft at 75 compression and the urethane cover with spin skin feels great. On short wedges , it spins well and can perform all the shots from a short flop from just off the green to a 40 yard low trajectory ball flight that takes one bounce and stops dead.  Switched to the Chrome Soft because it was straighter with a driver than the other premium balls and was still had the great feel on and around the greens.  The Q Star Tour is just as capable.  Before Callaway raised its price to $45 I was not interested in changing balls.  The Q Star Tour is minimally firmer than the Chrome Soft 2017 but softer than the Chrome Soft 2018.  I can get the Q Star Tours for $20 a dozen, on golfballs.com, and nobody I know plays them so I don't need to make them.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Mackdaddy

7 iron carry distance with current ball - 157

Trajectory - Mid/Low

The ball:

Srixon Q star Tour 2018

Trajectory - mid

Spin - hop & stop

Feel - soft

Durability (1 round) - like new the exception is full swing lob wedges scuff them everytime, far less than the

Pro V1

Rating - Gamer

Notes or writeup:

I find it is plenty soft at 75 compression and the urethane cover with spin skin feels great. On short wedges , it spins well and can perform all the shots from a short flop from just off the green to a 40 yard low trajectory ball flight that takes one bounce and stops dead. Switched to the Chrome Soft because it was straighter with a driver than the other premium balls and was still had the great feel on and around the greens. The Q Star Tour is just as capable. Before Callaway raised its price to $45 I was not interested in changing balls. The Q Star Tour is minimally firmer than the Chrome Soft 2017 but softer than the Chrome Soft 2018. I can get the Q Star Tours for $20 a dozen, on golfballs.com, and nobody I know plays them so I don't need to make them.

I'm also using the Chrome Soft 2017. I have 4 dozen left then the search begins. Looking at Snell Black & Q Star Tour.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Mackdaddy

7 iron carry distance with current ball - 157

Trajectory - Mid/Low

The ball:

Srixon Q star Tour 2018

Trajectory - mid

Spin - hop & stop

Feel -  soft

Pro V1

Rating - Gamer

Notes or writeup:

I find it is plenty soft at 75 compression and the urethane cover with spin skin feels great. On short wedges , it spins well and can perform all the shots from a short flop from just off the green to a 40 yard low trajectory ball flight that takes one bounce and stops dead.  Switched to the Chrome Soft because it was straighter with a driver than the other premium balls and was still had the great feel on and around the greens.  The Q Star Tour is just as capable.  Before Callaway raised its price to $45 I was not interested in changing balls.  The Q Star Tour is minimally firmer than the Chrome Soft 2017 but softer than the Chrome Soft 2018.  I can get the Q Star Tours for $20 a dozen, on golfballs.com, and nobody I know plays them so I don't need to make them.

... Interesting that a 2.5 index player would be using the Q Star Tour as their gamer. It just shows how different everyones game can be and what balls work best for them. I find balls like Q Star Tour, B-RX and Duo Urethane just do not produce enough green side spin. I use my 58* for every shot around the green and depend on controllable spin. Everywhere else they perform very similar to any other ball I have played with the exception of the TP5x being a little longer off lower lofted irons and woods. So many great balls these days!

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

The player:
Current gamer - It's different every round/testing a lot of different balls at the moment
Handicap or Ave score - 3.8
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 160
Trajectory - varies on the day what my swing does
Putter - PING G5 B60

The ball:
Cut Golf Blue (4 Piece Urethane)/Cut Golf Gray (3 Piece Urethane)

Distance - Less
Trajectory - high
Spin - I cannot judge spin as I cannot play spin.
Feel - firm
Durability (1 round) - it's ok, as I played the same ball for a couple of rounds, but it wears out quicker than other balls I have tested.
Rating - Casual 

Notes or writeup:  Cut Golf Company is another direct to consumer brand that markets their balls based on price point.  And at $20 per dozen for a 4 or 3-piece urethane ball, it's hard to pass up at least trying them.  For $20 (including free shipping) they sent me a dozen trial pack of their 2-piece surlyn, 3-piece surlyn (non USGA conforming), 3 piece urethane, and 4 piece urethane balls.  You get a sleeve of each one of them to try out.  I honestly wonder about the urethane cover on the more expensive blue and gray balls, as I couldn't tell the difference between those and the surlyn cover balls.  I can definitively say that their non-conforming 3-piece surlyn ball is not for me.  Out of all four balls I would play the 2-piece surlyn ball, simply because it feels better, and is as cheap ($10 per dozen) as you will find out there.  The gray and blue balls, that mirror the ProV1(x) competitors do not match up to the quality of those balls.  Because I couldn't say for sure if the more expensive blue and gray balls were actually a true urethane cover, it is hard to give a definitive answer on how well the cover holds up.  But I would probably toss the ball after 2 rounds max.

I've also been testing the Vice Golf Balls (all 5 types) from the trial pack they sent me that I have already gone through, and I was much more impressed with the quality and playability of the Vice Golf balls.  And maybe it's just a coincidence, but my scores were lower with the Vice trial balls, versus the Cut Golf balls.

Bottom line, I'll pass on any future investment in the Cut Golf balls, based on the trial balls I played.  I would definitely go back to the Vice Pro ball when I go through the 9 dozen golf balls currently sitting in my house.  That may be some time before I get there as I usually wear out a golf ball before I lose them.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• 2 weeks later...

... Crazy Kirkland story. My wife, son and I played Sunday and my wife was playing a Kirkland Performance + #3 and hit a big drive in the middle of the fairway. Big as in 220. We start walking to our drives and some yahoo drives up, jumps out of his cart and hits her ball then drives away. He had to miss his fairway by almost 200 yds. My son, an ex college DE and a big boy,  trots over to their fairway and confronts the guy in a respectful manner. He says he was playing a Kirkland.  Yea, of course it was a Kirkland. Was it a Kirkland Performance +? Yes, yes he says. And was it a #3? Again yes, yes a #3! My son looks at his ball and says does yours have 2 black dots and 2 green dots? Um no, it doesn't he says. My son points to the ball and he rolls it over and see's the dots. 

... Now he is just so sorry as he just never imagined someone else was playing a Kirkland Performance + #3. He gave it back and said please take this as an apology, I am so sorry. He pulled a ball out of his bag and handed my son a new ProV1 and my son accepted it. "At least his lying cost him a ProV1" he said. 

... I hit my second shot and we are walking to my sons ball and right there against the cut of the rough is a ... Kirkland Performance + #3!?!?!?!  The other group is just coming off the green and my son trots up and gives him the ball. He us still very apologetic and my sons tells him we should be apologizing too. He try's to give back the ProV1 and the guy says please keep it, he should have looked at the ball closer since it was in our fairway. 

... LOL, what are the odds, one million to one that 2 players on adjacent fairways are both playing Kirkland Performance + #3 balls?

... Crazy Kirkland story. My wife, son and I played Sunday and my wife was playing a Kirkland Performance + #3 and hit a big drive in the middle of the fairway. Big as in 220. We start walking to our drives and some yahoo drives up, jumps out of his cart and hits her ball then drives away. He had to miss his fairway by almost 200 yds. My son, an ex college DE and a big boy, trots over to their fairway and confronts the guy in a respectful manner. He says he was playing a Kirkland. Yea, of course to is. Was it a Kirkland Performance +? Yes, yes he says. And was it a #3? Again yes, yes a #3. My son looks at his ball and says does yours have 2 black dots and 2 green dots? Um no, it doesn't he says. My son points to the ball and he rolls it over and see's the dots.

... Now he is just so sorry as he just never imagined someone else was playing a Kirkland Performance + #3. He gave it back and said please take this as an apology, I am so sorry. He pulled a ball out of his bag and handed my son a new ProV1 and my son accepted it. "At least his lying cost him a ProV1" he said.

... I hit my second shot and we are walking to my sons ball and right there against the cut of the rough is a ... Kirkland Performance + #3!?!?!?! The other group is just coming off the green and my son trots up and gives him the ball. He us still very apologetic and my sons tells him we should be apologizing too. He try's to give back the ProV1 and the guy says please keep it, he should have looked at the ball closer since it was in our fairway.

... LOL, what are the odds, one million to one that 2 players on adjacent fairways are both playing Kirkland Performance + #3 balls?

I'd say they odds of your wife out driving me off the tee are much greater than having this happen.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I'd say they odds of your wife out driving me off the tee are much greater than having this happen.

... LOL, she is usually in the 190-210 range. She was really killing off the tee that day. 

... Crazy Kirkland story. My wife, son and I played Sunday and my wife was playing a Kirkland Performance + #3 and hit a big drive in the middle of the fairway. Big as in 220. We start walking to our drives and some yahoo drives up, jumps out of his cart and hits her ball then drives away. He had to miss his fairway by almost 200 yds. My son, an ex college DE and a big boy, trots over to their fairway and confronts the guy in a respectful manner. He says he was playing a Kirkland. Yea, of course to is. Was it a Kirkland Performance +? Yes, yes he says. And was it a #3? Again yes, yes a #3. My son looks at his ball and says does yours have 2 black dots and 2 green dots? Um no, it doesn't he says. My son points to the ball and he rolls it over and see's the dots.

... I hit my second shot and we are walking to my sons ball and right there against the cut of the rough is a ... Kirkland Performance + #3!?!?!?! The other group is just coming off the green and my son trots up and gives him the ball. He us still very apologetic and my sons tells him we should be apologizing too. He try's to give back the ProV1 and the guy says please keep it, he should have looked at the ball closer since it was in our fairway.

... LOL, what are the odds, one million to one that 2 players on adjacent fairways are both playing Kirkland Performance + #3 balls?

That's a great story

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 3 weeks later...

file-A3CB8FF0-684C-4F65-9401-C2E28482482D-3943-000000E0AEA61199.jpg

The Player

Current Gamer - ProV1x 2017

Handicap - Shooting in mid/high 70's

7 iron distance with current ball -173

Trajectory - Mid/High

Putter - PING Anser 1966

The Ball

Titleist AVX

Distance - More

Trajectory - Mid

Spin - Release Some

Feel - Soft (Too Soft)

Durability (1 round) - Like New

Rating - Casual

Notes:

- No spin on wedge shots. NONE!

- Extra soft off of every club

- Probably 5 yards more distance off driver and a tad more online.

- They are extra soft, too soft for my liking.

These are a severe disappointment, I like a good soft ball that performs off the wedges, but these.... don't. These perform in the distance category only for me. I test balls from the green back, and I didn't care for them one bit around the green. Not worth the price for me to keep playing them.

I'm also using the Chrome Soft 2017. I have 4 dozen left then the search begins. Looking at Snell Black & Q Star Tour.

I have a dozen of Chrome Soft 2017 that I'm a bit too “nervous” to play. Currently playing SuperSofts but want to upgrade since I feel they are too soft now.

Been considering the Q Stars as my next step considering the price point.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

• 2 weeks later...

-Bridgestone e6 Speed-

IMG_0368.JPG

The player:

Current gamer - Mostly ProV1 or ProV1X

Handicap or Ave score - 8.6

7 iron carry distance with current ball - 186.4y

Trajectory - mid/low

Putter - Cleveland Satin Elevado - medium

The ball:

Bridgestone e6 Speed - 2017?

Distance - same

Trajectory - mid/low

Spin (Full Shots) - hop & stop

Spin (Partial/Chip Shots) - Roll out

via GIPHY

Feel - firm

Durability (1 round) - like new

Rating - Scramble Gamer, Casual Otherwise

Notes or writeup:

So I had a bit of a fling with this one.  I found one a couple rounds ago and pulled it out towards the end of the round with pretty low expectations.  It performed admirably, including putting a drive on the back fringe of No 18, a 275yd par 4 that must be 25yds uphill to leap me back to the lead in a game of Wolf.

The next round I grabbed a ball out and here it was again.  It flies straight.  I had several shots that I felt would require me to lean-walk to guide the ball back on line, but it never drifted far off line in the first place.  Full shots to the greed held very well.  I had a 205yd 5 iron roll out no more than 10ft.  A 195yd 6 iron stopped within 5 ft.  I don't have the lowest ball flight, but I am certainly not anywhere near a high ball flight, so I was happy with the performance on full shots.  Drives were also very long and straight.

I ended the day on a 73, which was the best round in recent memory.  I barely refrained from ordering 4 dozen when I got home.

I found a used sleeve of 3 at a par 3 course I played with my boys yesterday, so I couldn't pass up.  Again, on full wedge shots it was holding very well.  In fact, I was preferring the performance to a higher spinning tour ball.  I can suck back a ProV quite a ways, but never when I want to!  The e6 would just stop where I hit it.

But then I caught a glimpse of the real e6 after I chunked an 8 iron off the tee.  I had 47 to the pin.  I have dialed a half lob wedge in to 50yds pretty well.  This is almost always a hop and stop shot.  I hit it clean, landed it a few yards in front of the pin, and watched it stop right at the...wait, it hopped once more...and once more...and then continued to roll another 15ft uphill!  I tried again on another hole and had a similar result.  This thing generates nowhere near enough spin on the partial shots.  I suppose I could alter my short game approach, but that felt like about all I have had going for me recently, so I am pretty disappointed.

On the bright side, this is a ball I will be playing in scrambles.  It feels like it won't go offline if I want it to.  It just goes on the line that it starts.  If we have a pitch/chip to the green, I can just drop a ProV down and play my normal short game.  If I am playing the ball through the whole hole, though, it might be too much of an adjustment.

Edit: Sergio might have another green jacket if he had been playing these.

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

I played through a case (maybe a few left) of e6softs. I only tried them out since Dick's had them on sale and wanted to give them a shot. I was upgrading from Mojos and was hoping to find my “go to ball.”

Not a bad ball but just seemed a bit too soft for me and didn't seem like a good fit overall for me.

If you like using yellow balls I found that they had a bit of a glittery look to them but with a dull yellow coloring.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

• 2 weeks later...

Something special is happening...

New brand? New model? Just bluffing? Who knows.

IMG_2019.JPG

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

2018 Callaway Chrome Soft (TOUR)

Current Gamer Taylor Made TP5x

Handicap - +.9
7 iron carry distance with current ball - 165
Trajectory - Mid-High 
Putter - Bobby Grace 6330 

Callaway Chrome Soft TOUR

Distance - With the addition of Graphene I was hitting the ball 20 yards farther and much more accurate as well as lowering my index and .... nah, just kidding. I found almost no difference at all between the 2108 Chrome Soft and the last generation Chrome Soft, with the exception of it's durability. Other than the TP5x, which is the longest ball I have played, the Chrome Soft was just as long as most other premium balls I have played.  

Trajectory - The Chrome Soft produces a mid high trajectory and works well in the wind, in fact one of the better wind balls I have played. Not to sound like a broken record, but the TP5x is the best wind ball I have played but the CS is not far behind.  

Spin - Spin is very similar to every other premium ball I have played. I utilize max spin around the green as I only use my 58* wedge for all chips and pitches so stopping power is very important and the CS did not disappoint. 

Feel - Obviously this ball feels very soft, and for me that is it's major drawback, especially off the putter. After playing balata balls and always thinking I missed that soft feel, I have been playing the modern ball which is just much harder feeling for too long now and have gotten used to that feel. Those that prefer a soft feeling ball will love the CS.  

Durability - I don't notice a lot of durability differences between premier balls, with the exception of the original KS and Vice balls that seemed to mark up easier than others. This might be the one area where the bigger core using Graphene and a thinner cover really does work as the CS is very durable. After 18 holes yesterday it still looked brand new. I rarely play a ball for more than 18 holes but will certainly play these a second round. 

Rating - TP5x is still my gamer. But I like everything about this ball other than the very, very soft feel. 

Notes:
I have been playing the TP5x and love it's performance. I have played a lot of other balls this year including CUT Blue, Kirkland Performance +, last years Chrome Softs I picked up from MG and of course the TP5x. If I did not dislike shiny covers that remind me of Top Flites of yesteryear, for the money the Kirkland Performance + and CUT Blue would be hard to beat as my second favorite balls, but I made a crazy low Ebay bid on 6 dozen new Chrome Soft and somehow still won the auction so I will have these for quite awhile. 

- For a soft ball the CS is an excellent performer around the green and can be played with aggressive spin or predictable roll out.

- Feel off the putter takes some getting used to if you are used to playing a harder ball. 

- I think it is a must demo for those that love both a soft ball and play balls until they are so beat up they have to be retired because it might be the most durable non shiny urethane covered ball I have played. 

EDIT: At the time I posted this, I did not realize I as playing the TOUR version of the Chrome Soft. I apologize for any confusion. 

474963959_CCSBalls.jpg.52c207847c41e0b1c6f87426bf5b1630.jpg

Edited by chisag

Chisag,

I've been on a 2017 chromesoft run and I really like it, but I've felt that they get beat up fairly easily.

So there is a new cover on the 2018 CS? And it's more resilient, yet the ball still performs similarly?

Is it similar to the Z-star?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Chisag,

I've been on a 2017 chromesoft run and I really like it, but I've felt that they get beat up fairly easily.

So there is a new cover on the 2018 CS? And it's more resilient, yet the ball still performs similarly?

Is it similar to the Z-star?

... To be fair I did not find the 2016 CS to be less durable than most other premium balls I have played, and I have only played the 2018 CS for 2 rounds in very soft conditions so that may play into the durability I experienced and the reason I said "might" be more durable. After playing Vice and Snell, for me the 2018 CS is noticeably more durable. As far as comparing to the Z Star, I am a bit biased as I think the Z Star is the best all around ball I have played with an excellent combination of how soft it is, spin around the green, distance and durability. If I could not play the TP5x, I would play the Z Star. But if I did a ball to ball test between the CS and Z Star, I think other than a little softer feel from the CS, they would be statistically insignificant in their differences.