Web site is so convoluted to enter contest ?

lmatteo

Ahhh, the freebie contest, vs. the review.

It's a good topic actually.

The new guys see people “winning” a LOT of top shelf gear, as their first impression. Tell me honestly, who doesn't like that?

Other times people (such as myself) stumble upon this site accidentally when looking for random reviews of equipment. I was looking for a new driver years ago, and I found the most wanted driver review when the Ping i20 was the deal.

So I bought one on eBay or something and was very pleased.

Then I returned to the site and started to browse around. Then being that I'm a self appointed expert in everything, I decided to start chirping in, here and there.

Then I started seeing the “contests” for equipment to be reviewed, and began to apply. After a while I started to get chosen here and there for various things golf.

The part I wasn't expecting was the amount of work and objective thought that actually goes into providing a review on a piece of equipment. Once your name becomes attached to something the entire community reads, you realize that they expect something tangible to digest and weigh for their decision making on that item. They don't want a fluff piece that gushes praise about the item, just cause you got a “freebie”. They want to know what you really think. They want to know what you would say in the clubhouse bar after the round was played, and you have actually formed an opinion, be it good or perhaps, not so good.

They want pictures and real insider thoughts about what was good, or what you didn't like. Because if they want to spend real money on something, they want to really know the nitty gritty, good or bad.

So it needs to be understood that getting “free stuffs, really isn't free. Your time and effort to produce a comprehensive, realistic, and honest review is worth something. It's a part of this community that makes it what it is.

All the readers get to know one another in a cool and non-judgmental format that makes it super easy to be a part of. The only downside is that it gets a bit addictive and your significant other will wonder why you have to spend so much time in here.

Become a member, and the only requirement is to just be yourself, and good things will happen when then happen, often when you least expect it.

Word! [emoji109][emoji41][emoji109]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• 3 weeks later...

Is it? really?

Most likely another case of someone expecting something free with having to exert no thought, effort or energy 🤨

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Most likely another case of someone expecting something free with having to exert no thought, effort or energy 🤨

And welcome to the millenial era... [emoji37]

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 7°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'li x5ct XS  
:callaway-small: Epic Flash Hybrid 18* / Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 70g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) 
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #4 / Golf Pride Pro Only Red Star 
:taylormade-small: TP5x

(MGS Test Member for the :edel-golf-1:EAS Putter)

And welcome to the millenial era... [emoji37]

Not necessarily - I know plenty of people in their 40's & 50's who want everything handed to them on a silver platter. In the age of things being a click or two away, having to actually work for something seems to be a forgotten skill.

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Not necessarily - I know plenty of people in their 40's & 50's who want everything handed to them on a silver platter. In the age of things being a click or two away, having to actually work for something seems to be a forgotten skill.

My reference wasn't necessarily to an age group but the era that we're in. All sorts of folks are falling victim to instant-gratificationism (could be a word).. I fight it.. But I won't say it's not nice to have what I want right now with little to no effort sometimes. But when patience and/or hard work are required, I'm not going to go public about how ridiculous it is that I don't get to have and eat my cake.. That's all.. [emoji4]

• Like 4

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 7°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'li x5ct XS  
:callaway-small: Epic Flash Hybrid 18* / Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 70g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) 
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #4 / Golf Pride Pro Only Red Star 
:taylormade-small: TP5x

(MGS Test Member for the :edel-golf-1:EAS Putter)

As many I joined the forum to try to get some free stuff and do a review.  After checking to see who was selected it always amazed me how many congratulation posts there were from other members.  After participating more over the last few month now I understand.  Once you start to recognize the names, the people chosen for the contests consistently post valuable information.   I am happy to see someone win that will do a great job reviewing the product.  (Even though I REALLY wanted to test the Ping G400 and was just a bit jealous!)   

• Like 9

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Huh?

I was thinking the exact same thing and thought maybe I was a complete dumbass. Glad to see you thought the same thing. Well if we are then I am in good company

• Like 1

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex--- 9 Wood TM V-Steel Stock TM Stiff---- 1 Iron Ping Eye2 Stock Ping blue label medium---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bags either Jones Original non stand or Burton Mini Staff non advertising model

You see, this is why I could never be an admin or mod on this site. Sure, I know my stuff, but to answer foolishness with this level of professionalism and poise is something I would not be able to do. Truly doing the lord's work here Barbajo

Gotta agree 100% there. A Staff Job here is not easy. John is great to work with I have worked with him several times on the 2 equipment tests I did for MGS. I also worked with him and other members when we did the testing templates or guidelines.

Yes you do see a lot of people their first post is to apply for a free test. In fact I have in the past seen some folks with say 10 posts and all of their posts are applying to do equipment tests. It is sorta a slippery slope for staff because they want the site to grow but to be fair

Now some may ask since I am considered an "Old Timer" on here and pretty much know equipment why I do not apply and do more tests. One reason is I want to be completely honest and fair to all concerned whether it be to MGS and it's members and the manufacturer providing the product. I have to like something to be objective and first off it has to appeal to me. And IMHO I am very analytical and it does take a lot of time to do a test properly IMHO. I am back working full time usually 50 to 60 hrs in 5 days so really I do not have the time to do a proper objective test. Lots of newer stuff does not appeal to me so I would not waste the opportunity for some other deserving member to test something that I know I would not use.  

• Like 9

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex--- 9 Wood TM V-Steel Stock TM Stiff---- 1 Iron Ping Eye2 Stock Ping blue label medium---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bags either Jones Original non stand or Burton Mini Staff non advertising model

This is why I don't have access to the ban button...  :P

All of my time on here I only recall one person being outright banned from this site. There may be others I do not know about

• Like 1

I have not won yet, but its not hard....

Glad you found singing up easy, it's really not difficult.  Now, make sure to finish the steps required to increase your opportunity to test, they are in the link above.   

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

If someone can't figure out how to sign up for a testing opportunity on here I highly doubt that I am going to be enthralled by their club review should they be chosen.

Damn good point!!!!

• Like 2