Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

A career in golf?

srooch2

My wife and I are talking about the future and I don't think I can brew forever. I love it but it's very hard on me physically. I'm wondering if anybody has made a leap into the golfing industry? I've reached out to a guy who runs the course in my hometown and am supposed to meet and talk about the possibility of working there come spring but doesn't sound too promising. Does anybody have any advice? I'm sure I will end up being a greenskeeper if I pursue this which will be fine but would like to explore any and all opportunities. I've considered taking the maltby golf fitting and club building courses just to have something on my resume and to learn a little about club building. Any help is much appreciated. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

3 years ago I left Hilton after 22 years. I work as the Tournament Sales Director for a 36 hole course.

I loved every single day of the past 3 years. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Good golf jobs like Rob has are few and far between. If you’re looking to work when everyone is off and take home lousy pay then the golf business is for you.

I make no apologies for my terseness. The golf business will eat you up and spit you out.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I’ve def been toying with this idea as well. I would like to have something to do when my daughter starts school and I will have more free time. I’ve thought about working towards the playability test and start teaching and fitting

i would say don’t get into the business with the idea that you’ll get to play more but if you get a similar enjoyment by just being around the game then it could be something for you 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Everyone that I have known that has worked in the golf business has said that they never have time to play golf like they wished they could.  For me, I think it would be like living on a very nice golf course, but I couldn't be a member to play it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Back in 2005 I took a part time job at an exclusive private club, working on the cart barn, and being a cart boy.  I only worked weekend and had a blast working that job.  I just love being around the golf course, even if I am not playing.  It didn't pay much, and honestly I would have worked for free for the playing privileges it offered, which was me and up to 3 guests anytime Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  They also fed us lunch on the days that we worked, and we could simply order anything off the menu from the club kitchen.  I ate a lot of burgers working there.  This was just a weekend gig, and I knew I could never pay the rent on what they paid me, but again, it was just a second job meant to extract the most out of the fringe benefits of working there.

I have two other stories for you.  I have a friend who got his PGA card, and became an assistant pro at a very swanky club here in Florida.  He was there all of 6 months and just decided to come back home and become a cop.  I played golf with him a couple of times after he became a cop and literally said to him, "Are you nuts?  Why in the world would you not only leave the golf industry, but enter a line of work where today may be your last day, as they are killing cops for sport now?"  His response was simple, "I just felt I was called by God to become a police officer."  He also said that he got tired of the monotony of catering to the 1% whose problems are so ridiculously stupid that us mere normal people wouldn't even understand or grasp the pettiness of it all.

Another friend of mine who I work with has a brother who cuts grass at a local course, and has been doing it for going on 30 years.  He doesn't make anything, and he's never married, and lives in a trailer and plays video games on his time off.  He doesn't have anything, and is always broke, but he is content with what he does, and he wouldn't do anything else.  Everyone who knows him thinks he's a little strange for settling for that lifestyle, but for him, it's what works for him.  

Based on my experience working at that one club I've had several occasions to consider driving up to Pinehurst and becoming a caddy there.  My motivations for that though are kinda different, as I know the company that runs the caddies at Pinehurst also services Augusta National.  So once you get with their company you can caddie at exclusive clubs and then have the opportunity to play those courses.  I've read stories of some long time caddies at Pinehurst who made a living out of it and retired doing nothing else.  I could see myself doing something like that, and if I wasn't stuck in Tallahassee, waiting on the MIL to pass, and my back wasn't so temperamental as to cause me fits if I stress it out, I might just jump at that opportunity.

All that said, I have very minimal expectations with the golf business.  I know a lot of people who have given it a go, and once they realized they could make more money working fast food, they found another occupation.  It's truly a supply and demand thing.  As long as there are 100 people wanting to work in an industry where there is only 1 job opening, the wages will remain extremely low.  There are always exceptions, but that's the general rule.  I do know that the pro at one of our most exclusive private clubs here in town has been there for 20+ years, and seems happy and content working there.  But I think that's the trick.  Even if you land one of those jobs, you just have to have realistic expectations that you probably aren't going to make a lot of money, and you are probably doing this for other reasons.  Which ultimately leads us to the conclusion.  If you find something you love to do, pursue it, regardless of whatever it pays.  I can give you stories of friends of mine who are/were lawyers, and they flat out say it sucks.  You ask them why they became lawyers, and it always falls back to money.  They are making good money, but they hate their jobs.

LOL, which makes me look at my situation - I hate my job, and it doesn't pay worth a crap.  What an idiot I am.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Everyone that I have known that has worked in the golf business has said that they never have time to play golf like they wished they could.  For me, I think it would be like living on a very nice golf course, but I couldn't be a member to play it.

This reminds me that I once thought being a fly fishing guide would be the dream job; I mean who has a better office view? Then I met and became friends with a couple of MT guides and watched how hard they worked and how little money they made.  Also that their interest in spending time fishing for themselves waned to the point of almost never.  Making great $$ at a job you don't like so much or making little $$ at a job you really love all gets down to personal choices.  But then often times what one thought was the dream job turns out to be just another shade of green.  One thing for sure is that you'll never know if you don't try.  Good luck whichever road you choose take.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I’m pretty late to the party here but my journey is just beginning. After 31 years in the Army I am retiring next month. I just completed my PGA teaching professional certification and will begin classes at the Golf Academy of America in January.

I’m not looking to make a ton of money. My goal is to put myself in a position where I can enhance the lives of others through the game of golf. I cannot pass on a lot of lessons learned right now but keep in touch because I’m sure those lessons are soon to come.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

8 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

I’m pretty late to the party here but my journey is just beginning. After 31 years in the Army I am retiring next month. I just completed my PGA teaching professional certification and will begin classes at the Golf Academy of America in January.

I’m not looking to make a ton of money. My goal is to put myself in a position where I can enhance the lives of others through the game of golf. I cannot pass on a lot of lessons learned right now but keep in touch because I’m sure those lessons are soon to come.

Good luck with your quest and BTW thanks for your service. Hope you're finally in a place where you don't have to move around as much. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

10 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

Initially, let me thank you for your service, especially for your continuing service, it takes a special dedicated person to do that (I only maintain inactive reserve status for a number of years).   I wish you every success in your future endeavor, you certainly deserve it.  Like you, I will enter full retirement at the end of December.   I know that I cannot just stay home and watch Jerry Spinger and the wife has already started her "honey do" list in anticipation of my retirement, so I will find something to do.  I would love to find something golf related.  However, I am a hacker so my anticipated path can be no where near yours.  I'm not sure that I would want to be a course marshal or a starter.   I have dealt with potential conflict scenarios most of my professional life, so I do not want to chance doing so during my retirement.  But I am open to suggestions.

Initially, let me thank you for your service, especially for your continuing service, it takes a special dedicated person to do that (I only maintain inactive reserve status for a number of years).   I wish you every success in your future endeavor, you certainly deserve it.  Like you, I will enter full retirement at the end of December.   I know that I cannot just stay home and watch Jerry Spinger and the wife has already started her "honey do" list in anticipation of my retirement, so I will find something to do.  I would love to find something golf related.  However, I am a hacker so my anticipated path can be no where near yours.  I'm not sure that I would want to be a course marshal or a starter.   I have dealt with potential conflict scenarios most of my professional life, so I do not want to chance doing so during my retirement.  But I am open to suggestions.

Golf is a multibillion dollar industry and there are a multitude of occupations under its umbrella. Golf talent is probably the least desired attribute by the industry. Passion and commitment lead the way. Whether you cut grass or fit clubs and anywhere in between the attributes of passion and commitment will always shine through.

As others have said if money is the goal Golf may not be the target move. If you are retiring comfortably and want to continue to do something that adds value to your life by being part of something larger than you then golf could possibly fill that void. Honestly it comes down to perspective and inner piece.

Let’s say I’m a course martial working for a small wage and or green fees. If I wake up in the morning thinking, “dang I hope all goes well today and that I don’t have to deal with rude folk” then right away you are only looking at your position from the lens of the challenges it brings. Conversely if your first thought is, “today I am going to improve the experience of everyone I interact with today” then that positive outlook along with your supporting actions will provide you the type of joy and fulfillment you desire.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Conversely if your first thought is, “today I am going to improve the experience of everyone I interact with today” then that positive outlook along with your supporting actions will provide you the type of joy and fulfillment you desire.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Steddy. Are you avaibale to commute to Maryland to work at a Muni? Asking for a friend

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Why is it jobs that deal heavily in people interaction-customer service pay so little?You would think making people happy would be well compensated.Its such a thankless job career.And extremely demanding 

Money is rarely the primary reason for job satisfaction. When folks feel important, appreciated and their work is meaningful they more often than not demonstrate strong interpersonal skills. If you find someone who has poor customer service skills I would say look one or two levels up. You will probably find a poor leader/manager.

FYI.... a leader deals with people a manager deals with processes. Just saying :)

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Archived