Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Cobra F9 Driver Thread

null

1 hour ago, z1ggy16 said:

Well after seeing the high speed data come out today, I'm firmly convinced that the F9 is a real winner. Almost identical numbers to M5, but for much less $$.  Subjectively, the F9 feels/sounds so much better to me... The M5 was rather firm and hard feeling, especially on a miss hit. The F9 was extremely pleasing to strike, almost having some kind of 'softness' to it which I enjoyed. Lastly... there's just something really cool and edgy about the F9 that M5/M6 doesn't have. I think it's that the design of the M series is getting a little bit old. Cobra is keeping it pretty fresh.

F9 does seem to spin a little high but I think that's a problem one could solve with some addition of weight further up in the head. I believe Rickie Fowler stated he had to add a bunch of hot melt near the face to get the flight he needed. And besides, a little higher spin can benefit most of us as it really helps stabilize flight. Unless somebody is really hitting down on their driver, I've always found adding like 300 more RPM than "ideal" Trackman numbers helps me stay in the fairway.

One thing I'd love to see MGS do is to release the detailed data set for the testers. This test still looks like it was a summed up average of various skills and speeds, even for each sub set of swing speed.  I'm really curious how each driver performed under specific condtions in their testing such as guys around the 112-115 mph range, swinging up on the ball. Everything I've seen outside of this test looks to put the M5 in the extreme spin killing range, where F9 is toward the higher range. Epic SZ was also spinning much higher than I thought, too.

Have to agree with you that it seems like a real winner.  I'm going to test some drivers out next week and the F9 is at the top of my list.  I got a chance to hit my friends F8 and loved the sound compared to my G30.  I'm also interested in hitting the TS Drivers, and will hit a bunch of others I'm sure too.  But I'm most excited about the F9! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I can confirm the F9 is a fantastic driver.  I've only used mine as part of the Cobra Connect challenge twice on the range and one real round, but I have no hesitations replacing my 2017 GBB Epic Sub Zero with the F9.  With any new driver the shaft is also going to be a key component.  I wasn't getting great numbers during my fitting until we found a Goldilocks shaft; the Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7 in X flex.  With the ATMOS my distance jumped from 285 to a few over 300.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array F-2

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

I can confirm the F9 is a fantastic driver.  I've only used mine as part of the Cobra Connect challenge twice on the range and one real round, but I have no hesitations replacing my 2017 GBB Epic Sub Zero with the F9.  With any new driver the shaft is also going to be a key component.  I wasn't getting great numbers during my fitting until we found a Goldilocks shaft; the Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7 in X flex.  With the ATMOS my distance jumped from 285 to a few over 300.

Wow great to hear that! What would you compare the Atmos to feel wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

10 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Just my .02 but the Atmos reallllyyy minds me of the old Motore Speeders. So much so, that I'm about 95% convinced that Atmos is just a painted Motore, with maybe tiny material change here or there. Profile feels identical (to me).

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

Hard to say since I’ve never gamed an X flex shaft before. It was really a toss up between the ATMOS and the Hzrdus Smoke. Both felt very similar to me but the Smoke was launching too low during my fitting.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array F-2

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

On 12/6/2018 at 9:05 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

I just tell myself their Steelers/Penguins/Pirates fans with the color scheme haha.

I've tried to like Cobra drivers but for some reason just haven't been able to figure it out. I've tried the Bio Cell, Bio Cell +, Fly-Z, and F8+ and for whatever reason they just never worked for me. Still won't stop me from trying this one at some point...but it'll be hard pressed to kick my G400 out of the bag.

Ha .Funny how things come full circle. This post was from December. Just purchased a F9 Tour Length with Atmos Black 7 shaft. Really excited to see how it plays with a shorter shaft. Went out yesterday with my G400 and couldn't hit a thing. Gripped down and inch and hit it well. Just felt a little too light for me. Really excited for this to come in.

Ended up going with the Avalanche scheme though. As much as I love black & gold...not a fan of the golf logo on top. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

• 3 weeks later...

at long last I managed to find a place that has them, and tried 20 balls with a 10.5* head in standard and the stock Fujikura blue 65g shaft.

What can I say, I absolutely loved it, the way it sat at address, the head shape, the sound from the strikes which were more muted than the loud 'crack' I get from the Titleist 910 D3. If it wasn't £343/$437 I would have bought it on the spot.

I'm going to book in for a fitting in case it was a fluke or theres a better shaft. Plus I want to compare the stats using trackman against the Titleist 910 D3. I'm keen to see if it spins less (hopefully) as the launch and height looked very pleasing to my eye. My 910 can actually back up a foot on landing so I think it spins too much.

Personally I also like the yellow band on it- I believe theres a white banded one also

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Haven't seen any comparisons like this before, so if anyone has an insight please enlighten me:

Do we know what the MOI difference is between the 9 and 10.5 lofts?  I'm curious if say the 9 degree head set to 10 with the weight back would perform similar to the 10.5 lofted down to 10 with the weight forward.  Or if there is not much difference at all in MOI so the weight would be back or forward for both getting similar results.

I'm curious because I current set my G30 to the + loft which helps close the face a little.  This has got my ball flight going nicely, but it looks to be a little spinny and high as a result.

I guess I'm really just interested to know how different the heads are as the 9 is sitting in place of the + from prior years.

I finally found a place near my work that has an outdoor range to test clubs and carries Cobra 🙂 so I I'll have some of the answers sooner than later!