Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Iron suggestion help please

Super Tuna

Ok, I have to say it, Irons are bloody driving me batty!

I've tried to do the right thing this year and get fit as I'm playing much more now then previous. Getting fit is the way to go when you're putting more time in however, it's starting to seem like fitting irons is closer to an art then a science at times. For various reasons I've ended up seeing a number of fitters this year and have come back with 7 different recommendations from 3 guys. The shocking thing about that number is the last guy only really did what shafts would suit me best. He didn't have a lot of heads on hand so wasn't willing to lock into something when he couldn't prove the results. So thumbs up to him but that still leaves me with what head to use. It also leaves that two fitters suggested 7 different heads for those counting...

So the me part. Yes, since I haven't played that much I miss which is all my fault. The bonus is that when I miss, I always miss the same with a high fade about 15 yards off line. I do this when I get overly steep and whack the toe into the ground (hence the change to stiff shafts as well). So at least when I screw up, it's always the same until we start playing with the lie angles.

Recommended models included

Callaway Diablo Edge

Nike Victory Red

Cobra S2

Mizuno MX200

TM R9

Cleveland CG7

Bridgestone J38

Somewhat of an interesting mix no? Of those I probably had the most success with the Mizuno's, though they seem shorter distance wise. The others either didn't seem for me due to ballooning or I simply don't have the game for them (seriously, who recommends J38's or CG7's to someone with a 19 handicap?). At this point, I'm sort of wondering if the head makes much difference at all and everything is in the shaft?

Sometimes I wish I could play all courses with only hybrids, wedges and a putter heh.

Suggestions on where to go next?

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Awincy Sounds like you are a victim of mass marketing or confusion which is common in the golf industry these days. My suggestions go to one of those club fittere that you feel confortable or trust. If you dont feel confortable ith them maybe ask some of your playing partners or maybe someone on here inyour area can suggest some one. Last but least pick out a set of irons that are pleasing to your eye at address and maybe some of those sets you tested when you were fitted the shafts felt good to you. I know as a ex club builder and fitter that opinions are like a-holes everyone has one and they are all different. I would never attempt to fit you unless I saw you swing in person and measured the usual things and swing speed on average. I preach this over and over and practiced it in business. I have found it works in hitting and putting. You have to be confortable with the equipment you are playing and then go from there. Most of all find one compentant club fitter that you re confortable with and work with him or her to "tweak your equipment" I am not really in the business right now but If I can be of help feel free to ask I am not always correct by any means but I do try Good luck to you

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

My recommendation, based only on what you said, is to go with the Mizunos. If you had the most success with them (which I assume means you hit them the most accurately), then forget about distance. I just switched to a set of Scratch irons that, because of the lofts, will cause me to "lose" about a club of distance. Do I care? Not at all. If you're on this site, you're knowledgeable enough to know that saying, "I hit my 7I ___ yards is meaningless." What's the length of the club? Loft? Maybe your 7I is my 6I with a different number on it. Just my two cents, good luck and I hope you end up with a set that you love.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I understand your dilema, and have experienced it. I'm a re-beginning player - haven't swung a club for over 8 years, had two shoulder/clavicle operations, and am 60. Not the best shape to be trying out for the tour, huh...I've been to three different "pros"/shops and gotten similar results. I'm very lucky, I finally found one small local owned shop, with a college coach owner. Now, he's not a slick salesman type, and let me hit many clubs - all the while spending HIS valuable time watching me, suggesting (coaching a little - which was WORTH the small cost for the fitting!). I ended up with the same clubs working best for me - Mizuno MX200's (he didn't have the JPX 800 in stock at this time), suggestions on what would work, and probably not work, for me. And, you're darn right - I spent my $'s with him, and will continue to, even tho' he doesn't have a fancy store or huge inventory (tho' he can order anything those guys can). So, I suggest that you take a few days, get to Hamilton's Golf in Colonial Heights, VA and talk with Jeff.....

Linwood

Archived