txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Our Sponsors

8 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Interesting to say the least. Keep us updated on the ventures with the new MTBX and also on the Prov1X and Tour BX when you get around to playing them. Or did you say you played the other balls already, what's your take on them, do they match up to the test results?

Are you aware of the test data on the MTBX while you're playing the ball? Does any of it fit, of course maybe it's too early to judge it just yet. The extra length seems to be holding true at least.

Can't wait to hear what Dean Snell has to say, apparently(after talking with Snell) he's waiting for the real raw data from MGS so he can get an idea of what was happening to his balls.

I played the Pro V1x and Tour B X for a couple weeks as the MGS report was coming out.  They are comparable to the MTB-X but I will nitpick since you asked.  I have found the MTB-X to be a club longer with the driver but a yard or 2 shorter with irons.  The MTB-X is firmer with the firmness getting more pronounced the closer I get to the green (shorter the club).  It's nothing I would consider bad.  Just a more "full" feeling that I can't really explain but definitely more "clicky" with my SeeMore Brass Blade putter from 1999.

I can't distinguish between the three around the greens other than the firmness of the Snell somewhat stands out.  I could easily play any of the three and be very happy.  But given I can't distinguish between them, why pay $20 a box more?  That's where I'm leaning at the moment unless I get one of the outliers the MGS testing found.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I played the Pro V1x and Tour B X for a couple weeks as the MGS report was coming out.  They are comparable to the MTB-X but I will nitpick since you asked.  I have found the MTB-X to be a club longer with the driver but a yard or 2 shorter with irons.  The MTB-X is firmer with the firmness getting more pronounced the closer I get to the green (shorter the club).  It's nothing I would consider bad.  Just a more "full" feeling that I can't really explain but definitely more "clicky" with my SeeMore Brass Blade putter from 1999.

I can't distinguish between the three around the greens other than the firmness of the Snell somewhat stands out.  I could easily play any of the three and be very happy.  But given I can't distinguish between them, why pay $20 a box more?  That's where I'm leaning at the moment unless I get one of the outliers the MGS testing found.

Thanks for the further explanation. You never mentioned testing either of the ZStar balls, is it you just don't like them from previous play. Apparently they have changed(improved) them in the past couple years.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:32 AM, WalterS said:

Okay, thanks for the explanation on the why of your comment. Were you testing the new 2019 Srixon balls, I heard they made them feel softer than last years, according to Srixon they also lowered the comp. for the XV from 105 to 102, the zstar remained at 90.

... I really do wish I had hit the 2019 XV as I have always loved Srixon Z Stars. Unfortunately I have 10 dozen balls in my basement (6 dozen TP5x, 2 original Kirkland 4 piece and Maxfli Tours) and doubt I will get thru half of them this season so the new XV is gonna have to wait til next season. 

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

8 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Thanks for the further explanation. You never mentioned testing either of the ZStar balls, is it you just don't like them from previous play. Apparently they have changed(improved) them in the past couple years.

Nothing nefarious.  My club doesn't sell Srixon balls so I didn't order any like I did the Snell balls.  

May be a bit lacking on my part but I will order balls to save $20 a dozen.  If I'm going to pay full price, I will support the shop at my club.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... I really do wish I had hit the 2019 XV as I have always loved Srixon Z Stars. Unfortunately I have 10 dozen balls in my basement (6 dozen TP5x, 2 original Kirkland 4 piece and Maxfli Tours) and doubt I will get thru half of them this season so the new XV is gonna have to wait til next season. 

Yeah that's few balls to go through, ha-ha. Who knows maybe next years versions of the ZStars will be more improved(and less expensive even though they are already) and rate higher on the 2020 ball test results.

8 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Nothing nefarious.  My club doesn't sell Srixon balls so I didn't order any like I did the Snell balls.  

May be a bit lacking on my part but I will order balls to save $20 a dozen.  If I'm going to pay full price, I will support the shop at my club.

I hear ya, can't buy and test every ball. But I'd assume the ZStars aren't that much more money over the Snell(by the dz) in the USA. Up here(Canada) I can buy a dz ZStars cheaper(reg price) than I can buy a dz(or 2) MTBX online(and I told Snell that but they didn't comment on that). To get a break I'd need to buy 3 dz Snell. It would be nice if you could buy a sleeve of MTBX to try out first before I buy 3dz.. Not to mention your guys can buy 3dz ZStars and get 1 dz free, not up here, why who knows. Or was it buy2 get 1 free?

Edited by WalterS

4 minutes ago, WalterS said:

I hear ya, can't buy and test every ball. But I'd assume the ZStars aren't that much more money over the Snell(by the dz) in the USA. Up here(Canada) I can buy a dz ZStars cheaper(reg price) than I can buy a dz(or 2) MTBX online(and I told Snell that but they didn't comment on that). To get a break I'd need to buy 3 dz Snell. It would be nice if you could buy a sleeve of MTBX to try out first before I buy 3dz.. Not to mention your guys can buy 3dz ZStars and get 1 dz free, not up here, why who knows. Or was it buy2 get 1 free?

Srixon balls are $40 a dozen almost everywhere in the US.  Again, it may be shortsighted on my part but I buy virtually everything golf related through the shop at my club.  I haven't stepped foot inside a Dick's, Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore in a very long time. So, I don't know about a "buy 3 get 1 free" deal from Srixon.  Titleist does that every spring because my club participates. 

Ordering the MTB-X's in bulk (5 dozen) the per-unit price comes down to $28 per dozen.  If I don't see anything in terms of wild ball flights or irregularities, I will most likely order 5 dozen at that price.

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

Srixon balls are $40 a dozen almost everywhere in the US.  Again, it may be shortsighted on my part but I buy virtually everything golf related through the shop at my club.  I haven't stepped foot inside a Dick's, Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore in a very long time. So, I don't know about a "buy 3 get 1 free" deal from Srixon.  Titleist does that every spring because my club participates. 

Ordering the MTB-X's in bulk (5 dozen) the per-unit price comes down to $28 per dozen.  If I don't see anything in terms of wild ball flights or irregularities, I will most likely order 5 dozen at that price.

That's great that you support your club, providing they're not adding a huge mark-up on their balls. All clubs up here add a huge mark-up on balls.

Good to hear that you don't see any irregularities on the MTBX. 

I have a question on the ZStar data, MGS rated it excellent, but how is that possible with it having the "worst 7i" (for all speeds) offline data of any ball, yet the ZStar XV only a has wayward fast driver offline data and it got rated VG?

2 hours ago, z1ggy16 said:

I'm interested in what he says. I doubt he'd reveal it but I wonder how they do QC. Do they inspect each ball and reference a certain set of specs and pass/fail every single one, or might they inspect by "lot" sampling. That is, they produce say 10,000 balls in a "lot" (batch) and randomly select X% (say 2% for example) and check each one. If all of them pass with respect to some sort of reference ball or set of specs, ALL 10,000 in that lot pass.

Depending on their manufacturing scales, I'd assume the latter is done to save on time/cost. However, that could potentially lead to somebody like MGS getting a entire box of duds that purely by chance, had an extremely high rate of non-conformance present that we aren't seeing so far from our users here.

I would say for QC they would have a PPM measurement. That percentage would change based on how tight of QC you want. Tighter QC tolerances, the more the cost. Titleist PPM might be 2000, but Vice PPM might be 10000. Both percentage per million aren’t bad, but with one mfg you get one ball out of 500 that are bad, and the other you 1 ball out 100 that is bad. In either case, to get an entire box of balls that were duds, would be next to impossible. Unless of course they sent them that way on purpose.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

If you haven’t used TXJolfjunkies spreadsheet to play with the numbers, I would encourage you to do so, now that I understand that the ball choice is the lowest total number, it really has changed my mind on some things. He has it so you can weight the different clubs, you can also make adjustments to what you want the ball to do for each club, whether it’s distance, spin, deviation. He has all of it in there. I have input my numbers that I want several times, and have tweaked them a few times as I change my mind for certain parts of the game, and it has recommended a ball that I normally wouldn’t try. I don’t like paying the high price for them, but Father’s Day, birthday and Christmas May take care of that cost, and I can get them in yellow. Which I prefer, I will give them a shot, if it helps improve my scoring, it may be worth the few extra dollars. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sixcat said:

How's durability been? I tend to not lose balls but with the MGS guys saying even minor cuts and whatnot can affect performance, I'll probably start using 2 or even 3 balls per round before they end up in the shag bag (which is already now about 40 balls deep). Anything more than 2 balls or so being used per round and that starts getting a little cost prohibitive for me to start gaming ProV1x at $48 a box. The low price of the Snell is very appealing if thee things aren't wildly flying offline like testing was showing.

3 minutes ago, z1ggy16 said:

How's durability been? I tend to not lose balls but with the MGS guys saying even minor cuts and whatnot can affect performance, I'll probably start using 2 or even 3 balls per round before they end up in the shag bag (which is already now about 40 balls deep). Anything more than 2 balls or so being used per round and that starts getting a little cost prohibitive for me to start gaming ProV1x at $48 a box. The low price of the Snell is very appealing if thee things aren't wildly flying offline like testing was showing.

I’ve been playing the MTBX and have not had ball flying off line on a good strike. My miss right now is left, if I miss left it is usually a bad swing, so I find myself in the same places that I would find myself using any other ball. I would not worry too much about the wildly flying offline issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WalterS said:

That's great that you support your club, providing they're not adding a huge mark-up on their balls. All clubs up here add a huge mark-up on balls.

Good to hear that you don't see any irregularities on the MTBX. 

The pricing of equipment, including balls, is set by the manufacturer.  Otherwise, shops wouldn't be allowed to consider themselves "authorized Titleist dealers."  My club sells Titleist, Taylormade, Bridgestone and Callaway golf balls at MSRP and not a penny more. 

Most golf clubs are sold slightly below what the big-box retailers sell them.  For example, I'm currently eyeing a Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 for $379.99.  It's $399.99 everywhere.  My latest iron purchase was about $150 below anything I could find online.  My daughter's Callaway XJ's were $25 lower than anything found online.  I assume that's something of a reward for small club owned shops who sometimes struggle to keep pace with big box retailers.  

Clothing is also significantly cheaper.  Foot Joy and Under Armour polo's are $39.99.  I have an Under Armour fleece quarter-zip that I paid $50 for with the club logo on the left sleeve and right breast and UA logo on the right sleeve and left breast.  

As for the MTB-X irregularities, I have only put 3 balls into play since last Thursday.  I don't lose many balls and they are holding up quite well.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, z1ggy16 said:

I have played 3 balls since last Thursday.  I play almost everyday with yesterday being the only day I haven't played in that time.  I lost one in some "ground under repair" where we have some flooding issues.  I had used it for 20 holes and it was still in great shape.  The other two are also in great shape.  I scuffed one with a nicely clipped bunker shot on #3.  It came out kind-of low, skidded once and stopped dead.  The scuff isn't anything I would be concerned about but I took it out of play anyway.  To be honest, I'm not sure why I did.  I don't even keep score these days.

That brings up another point about the distance I'm seeing with the MTB-X.  The area where I live experienced record shattering rainfall from February 2018 through March 2019.  The whole area has severe flood damage, including parts of the course.  It's wet.....very wet!  So there is no roll-out to speak of.  In most cases, I find the ball either a few inches behind or ahead of it's pitch mark in the fairways.  It's a Gene Hamm design so virtually every green is elevated.  As a result, the staff has been able to keep the greens nice and firm.  But the fairways are squishy and very soft.

As I type this realizing how many holes I get wit ha single ball, paying $48 a dozen for Pro V1's isn't really that big a deal!

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

I'm having a very similar experience.  I have been a member at my club for 12 years.  Since getting the MTB-X, I have been hitting clubs into greens that I would never have imagined.  I had a pitching wedge into #2 on Monday.  I've never hit a 9-iron into that green before much less a wedge. It's 430 yards!  Also had a similar experience on numbers 5, 6, 13, 14 and 16 having approach shots with clubs I'm certain I have never hit into those greens before.

I also love this ball around the greens!

I have not seen a distance increase with my irons though - the MTB-X are probably 1-2 yards shorter than the ProV1x.  Has that been your experience as well?

Edited by bellairemi

6 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I have played 3 balls since last Thursday.  I play almost everyday with yesterday being the only day I haven't played in that time.  I lost one in some "ground under repair" where we have some flooding issues.  I had used it for 20 holes and it was still in great shape.  The other two, are also in great shape.  I scuffed one with a nicely clipped bunker shot on #3.  It came out kind-of low, skidded once and stopped dead.  The scuff isn't anything I would be concerned about but I took it out of play anyway.  To be honest, I'm not sure why I did.  I don't even keep score these days.

That brings up another point about the distance I'm seeing with the MTB-X.  The area where I live experienced record shattering rainfall from February 2018 through March 2019.  The whole area has severe flood damage, including parts of the course.  It's wet.....very wet!  So there is no roll-out to speak of.  In most cases, I find the ball either a few inches behind or ahead of it's pitch mark in the fairways.  It's a Gene Hamm design so virtually every green is elevated.  As a result, the staff has been able to keep the greens nice and firm.  But the fairways are squishy and very soft.

As I type this realizing how many holes I get wit ha single ball, paying $48 a dozen for Pro V1's isn't really that big a deal!

Yeah $48 a dozen isn't bad IF the ball can last 20 holes. I never now how long mine last because I just play a ball until it's lost or the cover is so beat up looking it's embarassing to see somebody let you tee that up... 😧

1 minute ago, bellairemi said:

I have not seen a distance increase with my irons though - the MTB-X are probably 1-2 yards shorter than the ProV1x.  Has that been your experience as well.

It has and I stated that in another post.  It isn't a big difference, just enough to tell the MTB-X is just a touch shorter.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I have played 3 balls since last Thursday.  I play almost everyday with yesterday being the only day I haven't played in that time.  I lost one in some "ground under repair" where we have some flooding issues.  I had used it for 20 holes and it was still in great shape.  The other two are also in great shape.  I scuffed one with a nicely clipped bunker shot on #3.  It came out kind-of low, skidded once and stopped dead.  The scuff isn't anything I would be concerned about but I took it out of play anyway.  To be honest, I'm not sure why I did.  I don't even keep score these days.

Sounds like most are more or less happy with the MTBX. Like you say if you never lose a ball maybe you should play the ProV1x, although I've read comments before about them getting scuffed very easily. How much is a dz MTBX in the USA.

To me distance is great but not at the expense of dispersion(offline data/shot area), fairways not so much, shots into the green very much so. To that end I think the ZStar XV is one of the better ones. They sure have a lot of tour players around the globe playing both the ZStar and the ZStar XV.

7 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Sounds like most are more or less happy with the MTBX. Like you say if you never lose a ball maybe you should play the ProV1x, although I've read comments before about them getting scuffed very easily. How much is a dz MTBX in the USA.

To me distance is great but not at the expense of dispersion(offline data/shot area), fairways not so much, shots into the green very much so. To that end I think the ZStar XV is one of the better ones. They sure have a lot of tour players around the globe playing both the ZStar and the ZStar XV.

I agree completely, the distance gain is great but not at the expense of accuracy.  But I haven't experienced anything resembling inaccuracy so far.

MTB-X is $32.99 for a single dozen but the price drops if you buy in bulk up to 5 dozen.  Five dozen are $27.99 per.

44 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Hard to have those shots into the green when the tee shot goes wayward. The Z Star was a little offline but it had one of the smallest shot areas and offline standard deviations off the driver and 7 iron...meaning it's consistent. The XV on the other hand... was not nearly as consistent, especially off the driver and that's what leads you back to my first sentence...

• :taylormade-small: '17 M1 w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • :cobra-small: F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • :adams-small: Pro DHy 18* w/ Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :mizuno-small: 919 Forged 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • :ping-small: Vault Arna w/ KBS CT Tour
  • '20 :bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week.