The PLAYERS (THAT WASN’T!!)

Shankster

In the waiting room @ Surgical Clinic for SWMBO, hope to be able to pickup The Players feed on line.

Rory or Rickie......

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

These situations are changing by the hour.....this virus is now airborne as reports out of Italy have become true. its also starting to really effect people in their 40's and 50's. Just do whats right until we get a better handle on this pandemic.  Hysteria to one person is prudent to another.  The people who automatically say this is not a big deal without knowing suffer from the Dunning & Krueger effect.  its scary how some people react. you can be prudent without being panicked. 

Remember golf is a game, not life or death. If they cancel or postpone the tour, good. Whatever helps this increasingly volatile situation. 

Golf is cool

21 hours ago, Shankster said:

As a serious event this has no ill intensions...

But who ever has the super size iPhone with the real life plague game on it needs to delete that app.

Not sure where or how this is going but my daughter has a band concert in DC this weekend that we will not be attending at a large Auditorium. I cannot believe it hasn’t been canceled yet. Upwards of 3000 people I believe are supposed to be there.

My wife has had chronic pneumonia for a few years, so we are taking extra precautions in the Shanks Haus.

Shankster -

I'm sure it will probably be cancelled.  Working in DC, the contracting office for our project has just informed us that they have approved teleworking and not to come in the office for a few weeks because of the Corona Virus issues.  Even our local school district has cancelled all trips as well.  Limit your wife's external exposure as much as possible. 

As for the Players, I'm definitely looking forward to watching it!  I even got the crazy idea that maybe I could even fly down and watch it live, but I got the evil eye from SWMBO so the TV it is, LOL!

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Shankster -
  I'm sure it will probably be cancelled.  Working in DC, the contracting office for our project has just informed us that they have approved teleworking and not to come in the office for a few weeks because of the Corona Virus issues.  Even our local school district has cancelled all trips as well.  Limit your wife's external exposure as much as possible. 
As for the Players, I'm definitely looking forward to watching it!  I even got the crazy idea that maybe I could even fly down and watch it live, but I got the evil eye from SWMBO so the TV it is, LOL!

MDGolfHacker

Our guys rented a van and got Tix for The Players. SWMBO and I were part of the plan but had to cancel due to SWMBO medical procedure today. We had no choice on date as she was on a ASAP schedule.
As it turns out one of guys scheduled to go canceled as he was getting sick aft being in Atlanta last week, oh oh.

Hope it’s a great weekend and my Bud has just a cold.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Michelle Wie has absolutely NO business being on TV, or radio.  She still talks WAAAAAAAY too fast, like she's still a teenage girl.  What in the hell were the people at Golf Channel thinking, hiring her for a job where speaking is the main emphasis.

And I just have to say that Kara Banks is beyond annoying.  I had to turn off Golf Channel this morning after about 5 minutes of those two going back and forth.  Absolutely like nails on a chalkboard.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

21 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Michelle Wie has absolutely NO business being on TV, or radio.  She still talks WAAAAAAAY too fast, like she's still a teenage girl.  What in the hell were the people at Golf Channel thinking, hiring her for a job where speaking is the main emphasis.

And I just have to say that Kara Banks is beyond annoying.  I had to turn off Golf Channel this morning after about 5 minutes of those two going back and forth.  Absolutely like nails on a chalkboard.

Dam, I think they are both exceptional.  Especially when compared to the other newer on-camera personalities on various networks.

2 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Dam, I think they are both exceptional.  Especially when compared to the other newer on-camera personalities on various networks.

Cara is great. She was a great hire. Wie did a great job during Solheim Cup and the little bit i caught if her on set Tues was good. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Man, it's painful to watch Jordan right now. I was drawn to him because even at his peak, he didn't seem to have supernatural gifts (like a Rory). He was relatable. But it's the very relatability that is so hard to watch now: he's as deep inside his head as I would be in his situation. I feel like I'm watching a much more talented, struggling version of myself.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Man, it's painful to watch Jordan right now. I was drawn to him because even at his peak, he didn't seem to have supernatural gifts (like a Rory). He was relatable. But it's the very relatability that is so hard to watch now: he's as deep inside his head as I would be in his situation. I feel like I'm watching a much more talented, struggling version of myself.

On Morning Drive a few months ago, Robert Damron said something along the lines of "Jordan probably plays golf with more natural feel than anyone in the history of the game.  Extreme feel players play the game with their eyes and have no technical thought to anything they do.  When technique gets involved, they lose feel and struggle to ever get it back."  Damron also compared Spieth's struggles to Ian Baker Finch, which I thought was very insightful.  For those who don't know, IBF was headed toward a Hall-Of-Fame career before changing his swing after winning the 1991 Open Championship.  He lost all feel for the game, which eroded his confidence and he never recovered. 

In my opinion, Spieth started chasing distance and lost his feel.  The changes he has made trying to get his feel back have created a vicious cycle that has destroyed his confidence.  The one thing that sticks in my mind is the quote from Arnold Palmer in the Golf Film "Arnie."  Mr. Palmer demonstrated his grip on camera and said "my dad put my hands on the club and said don't you ever change it."  According to the Arron Oberholser piece on Live From the other day, Spieth is on his third different grip since the 2017 Open Championship.

You hate to see it!  He is such a bulldog when his game is right.  But it hasn't been right for a long time now.

On Morning Drive a few months ago, Robert Damron said something along the lines of "Jordan probably plays golf with more natural feel than anyone in the history of the game.  Extreme feel players play the game with their eyes and have no technical thought to anything they do.  When technique gets involved, they lose feel and struggle to ever get it back."  Damron also compared Spieth's struggles to Ian Baker Finch, which I thought was very insightful.  For those who don't know, IBF was headed toward a Hall-Of-Fame career before changing his swing after winning the 1991 Open Championship.  He lost all feel for the game, which eroded his confidence and he never recovered. 
In my opinion, Spieth started chasing distance and lost his feel.  The changes he has made trying to get his feel back have created a vicious cycle that has destroyed his confidence.  The one thing that sticks in my mind is the quote from Arnold Palmer in the Golf Film "Arnie."  Mr. Palmer demonstrated his grip on camera and said "my dad put my hands on the club and said don't you ever change it."  According to the Arron Oberholser piece on Live From the other day, Spieth is on his third different grip since the 2017 Open Championship.
You hate to see it!  He is such a bulldog when his game is right.  But it hasn't been right for a long time now.

That makes so much sense. Same path unfortunately as David Duval. When they were on, lights out.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

10 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I think you and Damron are right.  Maybe Spieth needs to take a year off and just go play golf for fun.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

That makes so much sense. Same path unfortunately as David Duval. When they were on, lights out.

DD was less technique and more changing his body but still very applicable to the Spieth situation.  DD was so much fun to watch.  You knew immediately when he was feeling it because he had that little bounce to his step.  Similar to Rory when he is feeling it. 

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

DD was less technique and more changing his body but still very applicable to the Spieth situation.  DD was so much fun to watch.  You knew immediately when he was feeling it because he had that little bounce to his step.  Similar to Rory when he is feeling it. 

DD unfortunately also suffered from vertigo that pretty much destroyed any chance of finding success with the changes. I would have like to see what he would have been able to do chasing tiger 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

This is a first... I think??  Watching the event with no galleries will be very odd.  The players may even find it unnerving.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2880562-pga-tour-announces-events-will-be-played-without-fans-amid-coronavirus-concerns

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

It was both. His swing was technically atypical and so dependent upon feel. His left hand grip made Azinger’s look neutral and if he wasn’t in tempo he was toast.

It’s interesting to see how strength training did him no favors on the golf course. On the other hand I’m glad it helped him in his personal life. His story (loss of his brother) is truly moving. Sports Illustrated (yeah, the old print magazine ) did a wonderful piece on him as a hot shot from Georgia Tech who believed he was the best and should be the face of the team. He had a chip on his shoulder and the game to back it up. Looking back, I wish he’d claimed the 1998 or 2001 Masters.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

21 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is a first... I think??  Watching the event with no galleries will be very odd.  The players may even find it unnerving.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2880562-pga-tour-announces-events-will-be-played-without-fans-amid-coronavirus-concerns

They’ve played other events with no fans. The At&T National was volunteer and fan free for a day after bad storms here in DC area several years back. There another event that had it relatively recently but I can’t recall

Glad I went out today, as they are shutting it off to spectators for the rest of the tournament. Friggin stupid!

Anyway, walked the front nine with Web, Phil and DJ. Also followed Matsyama play nine and make the eagle putt to go 9 under for the day!

360116C7-35A6-4FC4-9A86-19FB3CD88CB0.jpeg

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yeah, the corona virus strikes again 😞  It will be odd for the players to play with no crowds.  I know it wouldn't bother me one bit (of course I'm used to NO CROWDS when I play...ha ha ha).

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I think you and Damron are right.  Maybe Spieth needs to take a year off and just go play golf for fun.

Kenny B:

Problem is, once your head starts thinking technical thoughts, it's very hard to unthink those thoughts.  Just like in those Kung-Fu movies...must clear mind...ha ha ha

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Kenny B:
  Problem is, once your head starts thinking technical thoughts, it's very hard to unthink those thoughts.  Just like in those Kung-Fu movies...must clear mind...ha ha ha

MDGolfHacker

Correct Grasshopper

Rick

Left Hand, 

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

Not remotely close to Duval. Duval and severe vertigo problems. 

Day and Duval are similar. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

49 minutes ago, dalejbrass said:

Glad I went out today, as they are shutting it off to spectators for the rest of the tournament. Friggin stupid!

Anyway, walked the front nine with Web, Phil and DJ. Also followed Matsyama play nine and make the eagle putt to go 9 under for the day!

360116C7-35A6-4FC4-9A86-19FB3CD88CB0.jpeg

Watching on TV and it seems the crowds are smaller than normal, even for round 1 - did you get that sense? 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

5 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Not remotely close to Duval. Duval and severe vertigo problems. 

Day and Duval are similar. 

Duval's vertigo didn't begin until much later.  He was first diagnosed in March 2003 almost immediately after he got sick during competition at Doral (See link #1).  He began changing his body after winning The Players in 1998 (See link #2).  He has said many times, the worst mistake of his professional career was changing his body.  Changing his body set in motion the events that led to vertigo.  And thus, his ability to play world class golf.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/golf/david-duval-diagnosed-with-vertigo-1.395744

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-fitness-magazine/bulk-or-not-bulk

Jason Day isn't comparable to anyone.  He's basically the most fragile human on the planet.

15 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Duval's vertigo didn't begin until much later.  He was first diagnosed in March 2003 almost immediately after he got sick during competition at Doral (See link #1).  He began changing his body after winning The Players in 1998 (See link #2).  He has said many times, the worst mistake of his professional career was changing his body.  Changing his body set in motion the events that led to vertigo.  And thus, his ability to play world class golf.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/golf/david-duval-diagnosed-with-vertigo-1.395744

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-fitness-magazine/bulk-or-not-bulk

Jason Day isn't comparable to anyone.  He's basically the most fragile human on the planet.

Whether it was vertigo or not it is not the same as Speith. And almost everything in this article has been disproved. And in the same article it specifically says it was not body changes but his back. 
Larry Yack works as a physical therapist for the PGA Tour and is in the fitness trailer at most events. He said that Duval’s freefall had nothing to do with his growth. It was all about back problems, Yack said, and he said that golfers don’t need to worry about hitting the gym.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Speaking of players loosing their feel... Seve lost his when he started to get too technical.

My problem too now, I have vertigo, and I’m too technical. So I have to learn to play with what I have that day, sometimes it’s a 15 yard fade and some days it’s a 15 yard draw. And sometimes when I’m lucky it goes straight.

I’m surprised that they took so long to remove the fans from golf.

Going to be interesting to see if it affects scores at all. Not that we’ll now if that is the primary reason.

Whether it was vertigo or not it is not the same as Speith. And almost everything in this article has been disproved. And in the same article it specifically says it was not body changes but his back. 
Larry Yack works as a physical therapist for the PGA Tour and is in the fitness trailer at most events. He said that Duval’s freefall had nothing to do with his growth. It was all about back problems, Yack said, and he said that golfers don’t need to worry about hitting the gym.

Duval has said himself, his back problems didn’t begin until he started bulking up.....i.e. changing his body.