Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

OFFICIAL MyGolfSpy Reader Review: Motocaddy

GolfSpyC

MotoCaddy Poll  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Could a MotoCaddy get you to walk more?

• Let's stretch the legs
    • Nothing could make me walk
    • I already walk
  2. 2. Which model would you be most likely to spring for?

• M1
    • M5
    • M7

• SPY VIP

OFFICIAL MyGolfSpy Reader Review: Motocaddy

motocaddy_std-10.jpg

We know 2020 has been a bit of a hot mess. But there are several silver linings, one of which is that by and large more people are playing more rounds of golf more often. That reality ultimately yields a positive impact on other factions of the industry.

As golfers are forced to reexamine how to best (or most safely) access courses, it appears that golfers are happy to explore options other than 2-person carts or walking/pushing.

With that, we gave three readers the opportunity to get out on the course with several electronic pushcart models from Motocaddy to give them a test drive.

Here are their thoughts:

Motocaddy M1

The M1 is the billed as the “simplest to use compact trolley in the world.”

Key features include: compact folding system, 28V waterproof Lithium battery, USB charging port, 9 speed settings, EASILOCK compatibility, anti-glare LCD screen with speed indicator and battery meter, and 24-month warranty.

PROs

• In general, a much better overall experience than a pushcart. Easier overall use, clearly more convenient – less work, felt more like walking with a “caddy”

CONs

• Would occasionally pull left or right on steeper hills
  • This user felt the “4” setting was a little slow, but the “5” was too fast. Maybe have ½ increments
  • Would like to see some included storage – similar to what is typically included on class-leading pushcarts
  • Because it’s electric, there’s opportunity for more onboard USB/other plugs

bg2020_electriccart_motocaddy_m7remote_std-01-1.jpg

M5 GPS

The Motocaddy M5 is basically the M1 trolly with the addition of on-board GPS.

Unsurprisingly, the feedback on the M5 mirror that of the M1, though there are several key differences.

1. The native GPS system wasn’t as accurate as other class-leading options – so if Motocaddy is going to embed this feature, it could make more sense to partner with a company like Arccos, SkyGolf, etc.
  2. It would have been nice to have a 4th wheel for better stability during incline/declines.

motocaddy_std-M5 GPS.jpg

M7 Remote

The Motocaddy M7 Remote is likely the model many of you envision when you think about the potential benefits of an electric cart/trolley. It’s the most expensive option, but it also includes plenty of bells and whistles, most of which center around the remote functionality.

Anything remote-controlled should come with a “sounds like a great idea” disclaimer. The upside is significant and something most consumers can wrap their heads around pretty quickly. But not a whole lot needs to go haywire to create a super frustrating experience.

Connectivity, responsiveness, ease-of-use, range, “butt-dialing” are all make-it-or-break-it criteria for a remote-controlled system.

Testers universally agreed that the M7 Remote was entirely reliable and passed most every test. Most importantly, the remote provided a truly hands-free experience which one tester described as “exactly what I was hoping for.” The additional rear wheel noticeably increase stability as well.

But, it wasn’t perfect. Though Motocaddy does include front-wheel adjustments, there was still too much pulling on both flat ground and inclines and the USB port isn’t as accessible as some testers would like.

motocaddy_std-M7.jpg

OTHER OBSERVATIONS/FEEDBACK:

Electric push carts – or trolleys – have long been the norm in Europe, particularly in/around the UK. But the US market is slightly different as evidenced by our testers’ wishlist….

Testers liked:

• The overall weight (thought it might be too heavy) and compact size made it easy to store or transport to/from the course
  • Ease of use even without the battery (should the unfortunate situation arise where the battery runs out…)
  • Easy to set up and get ready to operate
  • Putting everything aside, electric is far superior to standard push carts.

Tester requests:

• Seamless iPhone/Android integration (something along the lines of Apply CarPlay)
  • An option for an electric cart with a remote for under $1000 – As we seen the potential of single-rider carts other less traditional options, cost is always going to be a concern. There’s probably a sweet spot and based on this limited sample, the general consensus is that $1500 feels a little steep.
  • Courses to allow golfers the option to rent an electric cart for a nominal fee (something a bit less than the traditional $18-$25 cart fee)
  • Most testers would have all gone for the remote model. However, the M5 with GPS was convenient but needed to be more accurate at capturing accurate yardages. If that was achieved some golfers could have been swayed towards the M5 if it was a lower price than the remote.

ETC: We’re also hearing that several established companies *might* have electronic push cart versions in development. This is important simply because it validates the sense that there is sufficient demand (and therefore opportunity) in North America for this type of product.

As always, what do you think? Would you use an electric push cart if given the option?

I've used a Caddytek push cart for the last 3 years.  To me a push cart is the best of both worlds.  You get the benefit of exercise and fully experiencing the course while saving your back and legs by not having to carry everything on your shoulders.  You just can't justify that Michelob Ultra post round when you only ride in a cart.  🤪

The main issue as described so eloquently above is that I don't see a large enough benefit for the price difference between a motorized cart and a manual push cart.  Until they get the price well under $1k (maybe a $500 entry point) I wouldn't even consider buying one.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

I am going to buy one.  I just haven't seen any model from any manufacturer that has is perfected at any price.  I've tried a couple of the high end "follow me" units, they are close but still have bugs that eliminate them at that cost. I can rent a living, breathing bag carrier for $50 without having to carry him from the parking lot and most of the time they follow verbal directions.. THAT is what these electric cart guys need to get to.  "bring me my putter"... or at least "bring me my bag", "follow me"... "don't drop my new staff bag in the mud"  "what are you smoking?"  "no I don't want you to read my putts"...

EPIC Driver, EPIC 3 Wood, EPIC hybrid, Adams irons, Callaway wedges, Scotty putter and Titleist ball.

I've owned a BatCaddy electric for almost three years, and it does what I want it to. It has no remote, and cost $440 with a heavy duty lead-acid battery, which is rated to easily cover 36 holes (I only did that once without a re-charge, although there are times, after 18 holes, where the recharge transformer shows full charge immediately upon plug-in.). I did not want a remote control, because I have seen a lot of accidents with them due to operator inattention involving bunkers, hillsides, other players, etc. I'll never go back to a non-powered pushcart.

Jon Silverberg

BatCaddy electric pushcart with 36 hole capable lead-acid battery, holding a 2015 Titleist 14-way stand bag, customized with my club's logo (Nassau Players Club), containing:

TaylorMade 10.5 degree SIM Max Driver (set 2 clicks down), with 47.5" A Flex Fujikura Ventus Red 5 shaft 

Cobra F6 3-4W (set to 16 degrees), with 47.5" R flex Aldila ATX65 shaft

Cobra King F8 4-5 wood (set to 19 degrees), 3 and 4 hybrids, all R flex

TaylorMade Jetspeed 6 Hybrid, R flex

Cleveland Launcher HB 7-S irons, R flex (+1.5")

Cleveland RTX 3.0CB 60 degree wedge (+1")

Evnroll ER-3 putter, 35" (Gravity grip)

OK. So I have a motocaddy (S5 model) and one thing I find a bit of an issue is that it is easy to bump the button and set it off. I managed to do that and then had to extract everything from the bunker😆 But, someone I was playing with on another occasion did the same thing and the whole lot ended up in a lake which ruined it completely. the M series may be different but beware of that.

:callaway-small: 9 degree Rogue Stiff Shaft + Rogue 15 degree 3 wood

:srixon-small: 16 degree hybrid

:titelist-small: A2 3 - 3 Iron steel stiff shaft

:titelist-small: AP2 - 4 Iron to 50 Degree Gap wedge

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 56 wedge

:scotty-small: Newport 2

This was the first year I used a pushcart for a lot of my golf.  Prior that that I would walk 9 whenever possible, and would walk 18 on occasion, but not often.  

After walking 18 (even on some hilly courses) my back, shoulders, and legs feel as good as if I were riding in a cart.  For me, I don't think I'd enjoy the experience as much as I have with the push cart.  

I hope that after this pandemic is over golf courses will still be allowing golfers to walk on weekends as they have been forced to this year.  I have really enjoyed walking the course. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I have an S7 Remote from the fall of 2017 - I have had a TON of problems with it and Moto Caddy was awful to deal with as far as getting it fixed - I had the same issues since I got it and once I was still having those issues outside of the 2 year warranty they made me pay a good bit to get it fixed and I did a lot of the installation of parts after having shipped it back to them for some repairs - they were just replacing things without any clue what the problem was.  Now it is still flaky and I can not sell it in good conscious.

If I were them I would stay in touch with customers and see how they were doing - ESPECIALLY if they had a ton of issues like I did.  I would also offer them a good deal on trading in my cart for a new one.  The joints on the original S7 Remote are crap - they are cheap/flimsy plastic.  Parts have broken off and I am surprised it is still holding together.  My playing partners know that they might be attacked at any moment by my rogue cart.

It could be awesome if it would work as intended.  They did take care of the structural issues of the earlier version as well.  My remote is crap as well - it will randomly shut off or veer off course.  Buyer beware - if you get one - make sure to beat the crap out of it with tons of use while it is under warranty because if you do not Motocaddy will turn their back on you once the warranty is done. 

Lastly I tried to feed back my comments and suggestions on how to improve the cart and they did not even care.  As a company I am not impressed - your users are valuable testers and they can be very damaging with word of mouth advertising.  At $1599 my cart was not cheap and I expected far more on all fronts.  I use my Clicgear 3.5_+ when it rains because the umbrella holder is so flimsy you can not stay under it while the cart is moving.

Im looking at the pictures and have a real persnickety question... No drink holder?  No place to keep a couple extra balls or tees?  I know, I know, your bag is right there.  But every push cart has those things.  Am I missing them, cause I don’t see in the pictures.

I took a Bagboy push cart and added the Alphard ewheels. So I’d really miss those items.

Two things you can count on with using a remote - first, the battery in the remote will dies with zero warning just before you have to go up a hill (keep extras AAA batteries in the bag); and second, you will send it someplace you didn’t intend (like into a creek).  Despite having both happen to me, I’d never give up my remote.  It’s so nice to just walk at your own pace. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

I’d appreciate hearing more on real world experience with how compactly they fold up and fit in the trunk.  Anyone?

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Love my push cart and For the price is just amazing. I cringed at everything over $400 so would never go for this but the technology is amazing. 
Push cart for lifE now for me. I always enjoyed walking and seeing the full contour of the course but I guess I am at that age now where I learned “work smarter not harder” really is true...

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I really wish there was a course nearby that would invest in these so I could try one out. I think I would prefer to walk rather than ride if I didn't have to lug my clubs around, but sadly that isn't an option pretty much anywhere.  Likewise, I simply can't get out enough to make paying for one of these make sense. One of these would be 3+ full seasons of cart fees for me, possibly more as I tend to find deals for tee times. 

I also use a BatCaddy with remote control (for 3 years).  I has been awesome and since it has a rear 3rd wheel that prevents it from tipping when going up hills, it works great in the hills of Western PA

Apex 19 Irons and Wedges

Mavrik Driver

Odessey Stroke Lab 7s Putter

Chrome Soft Ball

BatCaddy Electric Cart

I would love one of these.  I have never used one that is motorized.  Walking is the best way to enjoy a round of golf, however after back surgery walking and pushing the cart is just impossible for me.  The slight bend in the back with arms out front make it very painful.  I would imagine this would bring the joy back to walking for course...

Looks good but the front wheel seems a bit small? Wondering if it gets caught up in or on stuff when the grass is thick for example? Probably takes a little more juice to power a bigger wheel though, so maybe that's why. When my clicgear dies I'd look into one if the price weren't too high over a traditional cart, for now I'm good though.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The club I joined last month is too hilly to make even my normal push cart convenient, so I can't imagine one of these handling it well (plus one wrong button push sending it literally over a cliff would always be a threat). All my golf now is played hemp-canvas soft bag that holds the full set or a Sunday Golf Loma bag for a partial set.

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

Hi this is the coach . I’m commenting on the motor cast topic. I own and electronic caddy. Number one I’ve used it for over twenty years and it has never gone down. I’ve replaced the battery only twice since I got it. It’s the best thing for a guy who like to walk and play could have. I’ve mounted a small easy to read Bushnell phantom to it works like a charm. The moment I stop  by the ball I’ve instantly got the front middle and back yardages at one glance. Next I mounted my laser right there. I grab it shoot the flag and know the exact number to the pin. Every winter I bring it into the shop for its yearly paint job and it’s ready to roll . I’ve had Yankee pinstripes chigago bears colors and logos and this year I was FDNY red and blue. The electronic caddy makes two rounds easy and is easy to customize to your own needs . Mine has a mount that holds a nice tall water bottle and a basket in the back for cloths and a sandwich. This is my 54 year playing and I have to say this thing is a big plus. Every year I play the black course at Bethpage and I make it no problem. It just helps save your body for what really counts swinging and hitting it. I hope that helps

Merrry Christmas from

The coach

After reading the MGS reveiw, I did a little extra research and decided to go with the remote control MGI Zip Navigator.  It is light enough for an old guy like me (73) to get it in and out of the SUV.  Pay attention to the company's recommendation to test drive the Zip in the backyard before taking it on the course.  I drove the Zip into my wife's car (not good) and on the course had to wrestle it to the ground before it almost pushed me into the lake.  Operating the controller while the Zip is coming at you takes a little practice.  It took about four games before I got the hang of driving the Zip, meaning I didn't tip it over. Once I got the hang of driving the cart I really enjoy it.  The hillside stablizer is definately a plus.  The adjustable 3rd wheel is very useful.  My buddies and I tested the control range out to 250 yards and it was still controlable.  I really liked the variable speeds.  The wheels have good traction even in muddy areas and the battery is very easy to install and uninstall.  The accessories are really useful.  The umbrella holder, seat, card, phone and drink holders are most useful for me.  The wheel covers are of marginal value.  The rain bag was out of production when I bought the Zip.  Overall, the Zip Navigator is an outstanding piece of equipment.  It really makes walking the course more enjoyable.

I have a Clicgear 3.5 that I love and have had for 7-8 years

I know that they make the ALPHARD EWHEELS CLUB BOOSTER

That adapts to the Clicgear, the price is a little bit more reasonable also

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

I just got the V2 ewheels by Alphard. It is totally awesome. It does everything I want it to do. Converts my push cart into a remote controlled caddy. I also have a tether that allows my bag to follow me. I walked 8.5 miles and felt great. Best investment I ever made. 

Flash driver, apex irons, srixon woods, mack daddy 4 60°, taylormade 56°, SC roundback putter in a Ping bag.

For more years than I can recall I walked every time I played and carried my sticks , then I received a push cart for a gift and walked every round with it , while I loved the cart and it’s ease , the transporting to and from course was a difficulty and unless I had a large enough vehicle it was quite time consuming. Now living in Florida most of the year and the setup of courses is long distances between tees , courses with multiple nines , it isn’t feasible to use the cart . I could take up north in the summer  but most of the senior guys I play with ride , so alas so do I . I still walk daily over 3 miles as a means to stay healthy and really would enjoy walking the course again 

I prefer to walk, and enjoy the exercise. I normally carry when I walk, however I've thought about getting a push cart off and on. I don't think I'd be interested in a Motocaddy for a number of reasons. A number of courses I like to play are hilly, and I'd have concerns over the cart performance. Just as important, the costs to me are prohibitive and not something I'd be looking to spend.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

10 hours ago, Agent 87 said:

I've been looking at these and others with lithium battery packs. What struck me  as crazy is the price of a replacement battery.

The ewheels replacement battery was the only one reasonably priced.

We just finished our 3rd season with our MGI Zip with lithium batteries and they show no signs of losing and charge or battery life. When you look at the cost of a cart rental and the number games you play  the buggy is paid for in 2 seasons   Following the manufacturer battery care recommendations you easily get five years on a lithium battery if you have to replace it for $500 it would only take 5 to 10 rounds to breakeven so see you’re still ahead the only cost that it is is additional cost for new shoes that you wear out for all the walking

These look like great carts. I generally walk using a pushcart as I quickly learned that my shoulders won't take carrying my bag for 18 holes. I enjoy the workout as the course I normally play is quite hilly, but also recognize I may be reducing my scoring potential by expending energy into moving the cart versus my shots. It's a potential tradeoff that I am OK with... for now.

• TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S
  • TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
  • Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

Been a walker for as long as I can remember .... back when they were called "pull" carts (2 wheels) instead of push carts because you had to actually pull them behind you. At the end of the day your dominant shoulder would be sore from pulling it around but it was a heckuva lot better than carrying a bag. I tried that a couple times and felt like I'd just been through a football game.

Currently use a 3 wheel caddy tek and pretty much every chance I get I'll walk. DRIVES ME NUTS when some courses have a 'no walking before noon' rule. I'm in the walking-is-just-as-fast-as-riding camp; especially when the course is crowded and there are small gaps between 4somes and usually a "90 degree" rule. Which I really despise - what's the point of riding if you can't drive to your ball? I get that they don't want the fairways to get damaged but at a certain point it takes even longer.

I love walking; have always been a hiker growing up in the PNW.
Walk directly to your ball.
Have all your clubs with you (riders have to go back to the cart because they grabbed the wrong club?!)
Can get exact distance w/your rangefinder.
Golf the way it was meant to be played (see: Scotland).
Stress reliever. (scientific fact that if you hit a bad shot the longer it takes you to get to your ball for next shot the better. 🙂 )
...so many benefits...

Really love the idea of a power caddy. Some courses I have walked have been SUPER steep and it's exhausting at the end of the day. A power caddy would be really helpful and it wouldn't matter how steep the course is.

But at 1000+ it's not even an option. That is crazy expensive. 
Saw a couple comments on the batcaddy and looked it up and those go as low as in the 300's... that's more my style. 
Going to seriously look into this for next season.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

13 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Im looking at the pictures and have a real persnickety question... No drink holder?  No place to keep a couple extra balls or tees?  I know, I know, your bag is right there.  But every push cart has those things.  Am I missing them, cause I don’t see in the pictures.

I took a Bagboy push cart and added the Alphard ewheels. So I’d really miss those items.

Two things you can count on with using a remote - first, the battery in the remote will dies with zero warning just before you have to go up a hill (keep extras AAA batteries in the bag); and second, you will send it someplace you didn’t intend (like into a creek).  Despite having both happen to me, I’d never give up my remote.  It’s so nice to just walk at your own pace. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

I’d appreciate hearing more on real world experience with how compactly they fold up and fit in the trunk.  Anyone?

I would like to go electric (w/remote...) but have already spent much money on a Clicgear cart so was looking to go the Alphard ewheels route. Pros/Cons, given your experience?