Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

The Poor-Man's Pro V1

5 minutes ago, TBT said:

I have seen several mention the Kirkland balls,I thought the current version wasn’t very good? 

It isn't supposed to be as good as the original version.  I mentioned it because it is a lower cost options that has similar performance to the ProV. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, TBT said:

I have seen several mention the Kirkland balls,I thought the current version wasn’t very good? 

I believe that the issue, correct me if im wrong, was cover durability, a couple years ago. I believe they pulled what was left off shelves. I grabbed a few double dozen packs, for friends that are cheap and for days that im feeding the woods, last year when they were “back on shelves”. Literally tried to rip the cover off with brand new wedges and in the sand. Gave up. Could definitely put some wear in them, but no tears and definitely nothing that should deter people from buying playing them at that price point. I dont think they play as long as other balls, but soooo cheap! HAVE NOT PLAYED THIS YEARS NEW MODELS.

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

5 hours ago, TBT said:

I found several dozen of the original Kirkland’s while moving, just for GP’s, I bought 2 dozen of the new 3 piece, am 59, average 82-84 with occasional yearly 79, I found no difference between these two and the Pro-V1’s.

I don’t think am consistent enough to be able to notice a difference, in every par 3 , I hit all three , could not tell difference, 

The have helped my game since at $25 a dozen, there is no worry about loosing or dunking them. 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

14 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This post unlike the one I quoted above, is full of great information.  Play the best ball that you can afford that fits you is as simple as it can be.   If someone chooses not to pay the price of a Pro V or Chrome Soft...etc, that's fine.   The MTB is a fine ball as mentioned, as is the OnCore ELIXR.  

Another upvote for the OnCore Elixr.  I found a couple sleeves in my basement last week and played them last Friday.  While I love the new TP5, this Elixr is still as good as anything, the price just makes it that much better.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Also an OnCore Elixr gamer. I’ve tried numerous balls from previously used ProVs to Srixon, to TaylorMade and Vice. This is the first I’ve stuck with for two seasons. I like that I can afford the new ones and can get a choice in color (old eyes need that yellow ball…). I like that I can buy in bulk and save some dough. I’ve been very happy w the performance. I’ve hit them side by side w the ProV and for me could not see a difference. Now I’m measuring by hitting half a dozen of each down a fairway - at the time I didn’t have access to a radar or ability to measure spin, so I’m just looking at final result. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

21 hours ago, revkev said:

I will say that as much respect as I have for ggarner I agree with the MGS axiom of picking a ball and playing it for the season.

I should have clarified. I aspirationally agree with this axiom and wasn't trying to knock it. If I'm buying golf balls, I buy the same ones every time. But if someone gives me balls as a gift, if I win some in a giveaway, or if I find some decent ones in the woods, I have a hard time not using them. I would describe myself as frugal. My wife prefers the term "cheap."

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

3 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Also an OnCore Elixr gamer. I’ve tried numerous balls from previously used ProVs to Srixon, to TaylorMade and Vice. This is the first I’ve stuck with for two seasons. I like that I can afford the new ones and can get a choice in color (old eyes need that yellow ball…). I like that I can buy in bulk and save some dough. I’ve been very happy w the performance. I’ve hit them side by side w the ProV and for me could not see a difference. Now I’m measuring by hitting half a dozen of each down a fairway - at the time I didn’t have access to a radar or ability to measure spin, so I’m just looking at final result. 

What about the OnCore Avant 55? Looks like might be a better fit for me, and they are on sale?

Edited by MrShowbiz999

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

I should have clarified. I aspirationally agree with this axiom and wasn't trying to knock it. If I'm buying golf balls, I buy the same ones every time. But if someone gives me balls as a gift, if I win some in a giveaway, or if I find some decent ones in the woods, I have a hard time not using them. I would describe myself as frugal. My wife prefers the term "cheap."

Totally understand that. Most of my golf ball trials come from found balls. I can’t recall the last time that I purchased a ball other than my 4 dozen Pro VIxs at Christmas 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

What about the OnCore Avant 55? Looks like might be a better fit for me, and they are on sale?

If you wanted to go Avant or Elixr, Oncore has two packs for both. 29.99 for 2 dozen Avant, 49.99 for 2 dozen Elixr

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

7 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

If you wanted to go Avant or Elixr, Oncore has two packs for both. 29.99 for 2 dozen Avant, 49.99 for 2 dozen Elixr

Yes, that's why I as asking about the Avant 55 vs. the Elixr, if the Avant was a good choice for me?

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

3 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Yes, that's why I as asking about the Avant 55 vs. the Elixr, if the Avant was a good choice for me?

As a two piece ball without urethane, it really doesn't meet the "budget" ProV1 category, but it doesn't claim to either. Elixr would be more what you're looking for if that's the style you seek from Oncore.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

First of all, congrats on taking up golf, even at the young age of 59 (I'm 61 but have been playing for over 40 years). You're already taking lessons so I'll skip that suggestion but I've had around 6 friends take up golf in the last 18 months mainly because of the restrictions related to Covid and it is the one way to get out of the house. I've told them all to at least get a four (4) lesson beginners package to learn grip, stance, alignment, etc., The Basics. 

Now, on to my ball suggestion which is the same I gave my friends. Buy cheap balls that are even cheaper on sale. At this point don't worry about the cover, the spin, the hardness or softness, etc. Really the only ball  physical factor I suggest to them is the color. Most of my friends that I golf with are 50+ and have a hard time seeing white balls. Find a color (mine is yellow or the Vice Lime Green) that is easy to follow. A ball that I really like and still play year after year when the ground is soft and balls plug is the Maxfli Straightfli Orange or green. Once (sometimes twice) a year in the winter, Dicks will have a sale if you buy 3 dozen, you get them for $10 a dozen. At that price, if you are losing a lot of balls, it doesn't hurt as much. And for a beginning golfer, these balls actually play well. No, they don't spin off a wedge shot to the green (you're not going to do that anyways) but they have some distance. 

All of this is just my suggestions and as my Ex will tell you, I'm not that smart so take a little advice or don't take it but remember one thing about golf. Your Tour Card is not in the mail so just go out and have fun. That's what it is all about. And maybe carry a flask of Bourbon..it helps with the losing of balls.. 

Take Care

Ping G400 Max @ 9 degrees

Ping G400 Stretch 3W

Ping G400 3i Hybrid

Cleveland 2009 launcher 4i Hybrid (also a 2i and 1i not currently in the bag)

Ping G700 5-9, PW, GW, SW (Green Dot and 3/4" length addition)

Ping Glide-3 60 Deg. LW (Green Dot) (also a Glide-2 58 deg LW and Glide 54 Deg SW not in the bag)

All Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize Grips

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11 Putter 35" w/oversize grip

Top Flite Gamers were an MGS test subject.  Take a look at those mostly positive reviews. 

They go on sale for two dozen at $35.  You do have to get rid of the goofy looking box as soon as possible, and now that it's summer you'll have none of the only issues which the testers had, which was that the balls didn't perform well when it was cold.  Great price performance equation on this one.

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- but a bit less so with my recent change from a PING driver

:titelist-small: - TSi2 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Raw Blue 55 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL and Tracked by :ShotScope: - V3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much to everyone for your input. I have started to purchase some of the balls that you fine folks have been suggesting, and throwing them into my bag and blindly pulling them out hole by hole to see how they perform. I expect they will all be similar in performance in this type/price category, which if good for me then good for me!

So one follow-up question . . . any experience with lostgolfballs.com? Their prices even for their MINT (5A) level balls is reasonable, but I've heard some nightmare stories about buying used balls . . . never know if they've been sitting in water for months or what. Any thoughts? Thanks as always . . . 

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

14 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

throwing them into my bag and blindly pulling them out hole by hole to see how they perform. I expect they will all be similar in performance in this type/price category, which if good for me then good for me!

So you aren’t doing any side by side comparisons?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

22 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

So you aren’t doing any side by side comparisons?

Thought I had replied to this. I am doing a comparison, but I am not working against a baseline. I am using different balls on different holes so no preconceived notions as to one being better than the other simply by name. After the round I would have gotten thru all the different balls in my bag a few times so I can judge if any performed better than any others. I even have a couple ProV1's just to see if I hit aby better with those without knowing it until after I complete the hole.

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

23 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thank you so much to everyone for your input. I have started to purchase some of the balls that you fine folks have been suggesting, and throwing them into my bag and blindly pulling them out hole by hole to see how they perform. I expect they will all be similar in performance in this type/price category, which if good for me then good for me!

So one follow-up question . . . any experience with lostgolfballs.com? Their prices even for their MINT (5A) level balls is reasonable, but I've heard some nightmare stories about buying used balls . . . never know if they've been sitting in water for months or what. Any thoughts? Thanks as always . . . 

I buy 4A, have always been pleased with the quantity and haven't noticed any issues. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

41 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thought I had replied to this. I am doing a comparison, but I am not working against a baseline. I am using different balls on different holes so no preconceived notions as to one being better than the other simply by name. After the round I would have gotten thru all the different balls in my bag a few times so I can judge if any performed better than any others. I even have a couple ProV1's just to see if I hit aby better with those without knowing it until after I complete the hole.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you are saying but this doesn’t sound like a side by side comparison. That’s more of just hitting different balls and see what they do.

By side by side I’m talking hitting each ball from the same tee and seeing how they perform. Then picking an approach distance and seeing how they perform for that shot. Then testing some short game shots and finally putting and seeing the performance in this shots. The name in these doesn’t matter. It’s you hitting the same shot with the same club in the same circumstance and comparing each one under those conditions 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Given my current skill level, should I even be entertaining a Pro V1-like ball? Maybe I need to dial-back my enthusiasm and find something else like the ones I am already playing?

At the early beginner skill level, you're not likely to be able to realize any true performance differences between Pro V1 or similar 'tour level' ball and whatever ball you're playing. 

Talk with your teaching pro and get a gauge of where your driver swing speed is, and if possible what your typical spin rate is, and then look for a ball that will match your swing performance. A good coach should be able to assess your swing and see when and where a ball change would make a difference.

Until you get to the level where you are consistently compressing your iron shots, and making clean, solid contact on short game shots, the effects of the multi-layer constructions and different cover materials are going to be between minimized and irrelevant.

I like gaming the Vice Pro. It is comparable to the Pro V1 in performance for me, at a much lower price point. There are plenty of other value brands out there offering three-piece and even two-piece (😲) options that should serve through improving your game. Waiting for the ball test results to publish, but early opinions on the Maxfli Tour line balls have been positive.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, Curtis Atkinson said:

I would suggest going to lostgolfballs.com and getting mint graded balls. I've been playing the titlieist tour soft and they come in a BRIGHT neon and seem pretty solid for the price used. 

It would appear that the recent ball test will blow this out of the hazard water. 

Corpsman.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Taylormade soft response is another option, but Snell is the best bet. Pro They range in firmness from soft to firm, and finding them is a cinch because of their bright neon colour and ability to be seen quickly. The TOUR, on the other hand, was really good. Keep it up!