Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Forgiving Alternative to Apex 19

I'm been playing Callaway Apex 19 irons for a little over a year now, and I love the feel of them. When my game is on, I get the exact height, distance, control and feel that I am looking for in irons. However, when my game is off, I really feel the forgiveness and consistency start to fall off for me. Obviously, the club is not %100 the culprit and I have aspects of my game I need to work on (such as I am super quick with upper body on downswing and hit some nasty pull hooks) but I've been toying with the idea of switching to something with a touch more forgiveness. 

I don't have a handicap, but typically shoot in the mid-to-low 80's, but have the occasional bad day and hit upper 80's. Sets that I am looking at: Mizuno JPX 921 HM/HMP, Titleist T200/300. I know the Apex DCB would also be a good option, but out of my budget at the moment. 

The big thing for me is, it seems like if I want a more forgiving iron, we start to get into the big/chunky clubheads which I am not a huge fan of. I don't mind a little bit of bulk but nothing that overwhelms the ball. Also worth mentioning, is I don't have great access to really get fitted or test a bunch of clubs out, so I've been most relying on images/videos,etc

Thanks for any help! 

Current in the bag

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR3 9.0 w/ HZRDUS RDX SMOKE Black 6.5 70g
3 Wood: :ping-small: G425 LST 14.5 w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70x
Driving Iron: :titleist-small: U510 2 Iron w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 80g
Irons: :mizuno-small: Pro 225 5-GW w/ Project X Rifle Taper Tip 6.5x
Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 RTX Zipcore Mid/10, 58 RTX Zipcore Full/12, w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Shafts
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Ten

Ball: :maxfli: Tour

Honestly don't think more forgiving clubs is going to be the answer.  Apex 19 irons are really good clubs.  I'd personally get some lessons before spending on clubs.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

With any iron you are going to see a drop off in distance, height, spin and so on when you miss the center. Assuming you have the non pro version of the apex 19 irons. If so you are pretty much at the end range of gi type clubs and going for more forgiveness you are going to get into the gi/sgi type iron. 

In the t300, zx5, i210, you probably aren’t going to see any noticeable difference in forgiveness. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 7/7/2021 at 10:19 AM, Larryd3 said:

Honestly don't think more forgiving clubs is going to be the answer.  Apex 19 irons are really good clubs.  I'd personally get some lessons before spending on clubs.  

100% get lessons. Best money you can spend.

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

The Apex CF-19 are players-distance irons and pretty darn forgiving on their own.  Those are the irons that I play and they're hands down far better than the Mizuno JPX 850s that I played before them.  Not sure going to a "more forgiving" iron is really going to answer your issues.  If you're shooting in the mid 80s, you're playing pretty well but likely have an issue with your setup, backswing, or other easily fixed trait.  Spend a couple of sessions with your local pro to find a more consistent swing.  I'm guessing that you can resolve it by looking at the cause of the mishits.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug