Is the 60º wedge really that hard?

BostonSal

Good friend won a 60* wedge in the men’s association, he’s a 12 handicap with back issues who should be 7-8, and he hates the club. But he never practices with it. Only pulls it out close to the green when he’s between an A and a bump-n-run 8 iron. He pops it up. I still believe it’s a club you have to learn … listen to me, ha! I still catch that front edge 20% of the time 🥴. I’m no expert, but I love mine. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Likely more an issue of bounce. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:bettinardi-small: Ben Hogan BHB5/:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

3 hours ago, Titleist87 said:

Likely more an issue of bounce. 

Yes. I left that part out of my reply. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Guess it all depends on the bounce and it's purpose.  Sold mine years ago and now go with a 56.10S which is an average wedge.  Feel more comfortable and have adapted.  

Titleist

DRIVER - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S   

FAIRWAY - TSi2 15.75* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 19.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 23.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-W - True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGES - VOKEY SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94gm R300                                      Backup Wedge - VOKEY SM7 - 58.12D (Snow flaked "Z" ) - N.S. PRO 950GH R300       

***  GolfPride MC+4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges) 

PRIMARY PUTTER -  2020 CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM  - 35" Newport 2 w/GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip                                                                                                                                                         

Backup Putter - 2022 PING - 35" PLD - Black Matte Milled Anser w/ GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST - Prov1 #8 w/ blue Z 

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST - Black Cart 14 and Midsize Tour Bag Black/Black/Red w/name and TT logo 

Footjoy | Mike Fay GolfGolf Glove, Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear 

Industry Day at the Range - Bushnell Optics Rangefinder - Pro XE

On 10/2/2021 at 2:22 PM, BostonSal said:

I've seen many posts where someone or other was quoted as saying that the average recreational player doesn't need such a lofted wedge.

Having experimented with the sixty since it was first introduced and eventually adopting it as a regular inclusion, I would opine that it depends on the sixty.

A low bounce sixty is for playing a somewhat skilled shot from forward in the stance.  

It's not a regular golf swing.  It has an exaggerated follow through and requires actually learning a specialty shot.  

I play the shot despite not being near scratch level, but I've played it for a long enough time to not get nervous or quit on it.

So maybe the low bounce sixty isn't for everybody.

A higher bounce sixty is played more like a regular wedge shot.

The ball is back in your stance.

Your hands are well in front, effectively delofting the club.

Once you get past the apprehension that you're swinging a little harder than you feel comfortable swinging for the length of the shot, it becomes just another club.

That's my take on the sixty.  If you don't play the sixty with bounce, it's mostly because it's not one of your 14 most needed clubs, not because it's particularly hard.

If you don't play the low bounce sixty, it's just because you're not interested in learning that shot or don't need it enough to worry about it.

Neither one is absolutely necessary to play with.  Either one can be played with practice.

I never was a fan of a 60 degree wedge when I was younger.  I either slid it under the ball and came up short or bladed it over the green.  I'm now in my mid 60's with some physical limitations my game requires a greater reliance on good wedge play to consistently score. 

I think a contributing factor is the type of course you play.  Our course is a classic Rees Jones design with false fronts with elevated small greens.   Since I rarely hit many greens in regulation, I find having the ability to hit flop shots and stop the ball quickly on our course became increasingly important.  Late last year I invested in a set of three Edison wedges (52, 56 and 60 degree) and they have made a significant improvement in my short game.  Overall, I'd say I use the 60 degree wedge 1-2 times per round.  However, when I'm in a situation where I need to use it there is no other club in the bag that could get me closer to the pin.  It's not my "go to" club, but when I need it....I need it!

Ping G400 SFT driver with a Matrix MFS 5 Korean Prototype Senior shaft, 12 degrees
Mizuno GT180 3 wood, with a Tensei CK Blue 50 gram senior shaft
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 grams senior shaft  
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G hybrid 5 (26 degrees) with stock Alta 70 gram senior shaft
Ping G30 irons 6-W, Yellow dot with graphite Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shafts
Edison wedges:  50 degrees, 55 degrees and 60 degrees, 2 degrees up with KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie