Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hzrdus Smoke Black, what is it?

So I'm not sure what the labels are telling me can you help plz? I've taken photos of all labels the frequency is 255, I couldn't find the spine anywhere which is a first for me but got a good flo setup. Appreciate your comments, cheers Colin...

IMG_20220708_123756.png

IMG_20220708_123604.jpg

IMG_20220708_121556.jpg

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

1 hour ago, Bang60 said:

So I'm not sure what the labels are telling me can you help plz? I've taken photos of all labels the frequency is 255, I couldn't find the spine anywhere which is a first for me but got a good flo setup. Appreciate your comments, cheers Colin...

IMG_20220708_123756.png

IMG_20220708_123604.jpg

IMG_20220708_121556.jpg

What are you trying to figure out?   

This shaft was made in 2018 so you have the wrong charts from the truetemper site;  it is probably isn't an RDX

https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/golf/project-x-graphite-iron-shafts/hzrdus-graphite-wood-golf-shafts/hzrdus-smoke-black.html

It is a 5.5 (generally considered regular), 60gr weight class, 4.0 torque,   low spin, low launch.  

The shaft sticker is mostly internal tracking numbers but you can relate some of it to the basic specs.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

What are you trying to figure out?   

This shaft was made in 2018 so you have the wrong charts from the truetemper site;  it is probably isn't an RDX

https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/golf/project-x-graphite-iron-shafts/hzrdus-graphite-wood-golf-shafts/hzrdus-smoke-black.html

It is a 5.5 (generally considered regular), 60gr weight class, 4.0 torque,   low spin, low launch.  

The shaft sticker is mostly internal tracking numbers but you can relate some of it to the basic specs.  

I'm looking for low launch as I hit every club in the bag high, plus I bought a 12deg Stealth on a Pro's advise to get more height equals more distance.) If it works I'll keep the stealth or sell if not and buy lower, no decent fitter near me so I'm trying to work it out myself. Appreciate your comments, cheers Colin...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

If you hit every club in your bag high, the chances are it's not going to to cured by a shaft change. This is probably one of the most common self-diagnosis for high ball hitting high handicappers, because they think a stiffer, 'low spin-low launch' shaft will be a silver bullet for their problem. It won't.

Go and see a pro and get them to look at your swing first before making any further decisions on what is or isn't the right equipment.

So-called 'fitters' who recommend one product on the basis of a few swings are basically no different to you guessing what is a good fit either. Don't try to work it out for yourself, because you will ultimately waste time and money and end up with frustration. if you play golf on a golf course, which is near where you normally play, or where you travel to play, there will be a professional to help you. Personally, I don't buy the 'there's no one near me' excuse because it basically states that you can't be bothered to make the effort to find the answer.

7 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I'm looking for low launch as I hit every club in the bag high, plus I bought a 12deg Stealth on a Pro's advise to get more height equals more distance.) If it works I'll keep the stealth or sell if not and buy lower, no decent fitter near me so I'm trying to work it out myself. Appreciate your comments, cheers Colin...

Shafts don’t launch. That is the persons swing.

Shafts provide weight and feel. How those are setup may impact how the person swings because of how things feels. The way the person swing determines how the club is delivered which will affect angle of attack, spin, launch, descent or land angle depending on the monitor, peak height or apex depending on the monitor, dynamic loft.

And many days they hit the ball too high when they don’t hit it high enough or what they are seeing is too much spin causing the ball to balloon.

So before going down the rabbit hole of trying to find a shaft you need to identify what your numbers are and what is causing your “too high”

What is you

Aoa

dynamic loft

spin

launch angle

ball speed

land/descent angle

peak height/apex

swing path

face angle

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, jaskanski said:

If you hit every club in your bag high, the chances are it's not going to to cured by a shaft change. This is probably one of the most common self-diagnosis for high ball hitting high handicappers, because they think a stiffer, 'low spin-low launch' shaft will be a silver bullet for their problem. It won't.

Go and see a pro and get them to look at your swing first before making any further decisions on what is or isn't the right equipment.

So-called 'fitters' who recommend one product on the basis of a few swings are basically no different to you guessing what is a good fit either. Don't try to work it out for yourself, because you will ultimately waste time and money and end up with frustration. if you play golf on a golf course, which is near where you normally play, or where you travel to play, there will be a professional to help you. Personally, I don't buy the 'there's no one near me' excuse because it basically states that you can't be bothered to make the effort to find the answer.

I know nothing about you and you know nothing about me, chances are I won't find the solution I want but it'll have nothing to do with NOT being bothered to make an effort to find the answer. I've had a total of 8 Pro's trying to get me to swing like it says in the "golf bible", I have issues with my back knees and neck that don't allow me to swing anything like Ben Hogan or anyone else. Which I'm happy with when I watch the many different swings of Professional Golfers but they still get the job done, so thanks for the advice but I will continue doing it my way....

As for the shaft it’s a softer version of the original hzrdus black. While it’s a softer design it’s still a very boardy feeling shaft for most people. Many times you hear people say a shaft plays stiffer to flex and one has to know what shaft they are playing in comparison. When it comes to the hzrdus black and hzrdus smoke black play stiffer than most shafts regardless of flex. 

This is typically not a shaft for anyone who is swing 100mph or lower with driver. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

3 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

I know nothing about you and you know nothing about me, chances are I won't find the solution I want but it'll have nothing to do with NOT being bothered to make an effort to find the answer. I've had a total of 8 Pro's trying to get me to swing like it says in the "golf bible", I have issues with my back knees and neck that don't allow me to swing anything like Ben Hogan or anyone else. Which I'm happy with when I watch the many different swings of Professional Golfers but they still get the job done, so thanks for the advice but I will continue doing it my way....

The point of what that poster was saying is that labeling on shafts in no way indicates how it will perform for you.  A shaft designated as low spin/low launch is low compared to what?  You may actually launch have high launch and spin with that shaft because of how your body reacts to it.  Words like low, mid, and high are just words that have no context.  You say you launch the ball high; what does that actually mean?  Going to a person that understands fitting and can use their knowledge to help you determine if you have an equipment issue.  

if you are going to go this route alone, just start trying shafts and see what works.  If you can post detailed club data from a launch monitor someone with fitting knowledge might be able to point you in a direction.   These numbers could potentially indicate if you have strike issues or if you have equipment issues.  If your launch numbers are “optimal” the only way to get more distance is to swing faster.   IF you aren’t hitting the center if the face, the easiest way to more distance is better strike.   If you swing down on the ball changing AoA may get you more distance which can be possibly die via swing or equipment changes.   If you are hitting the center but launch, spin are off a new head or shaft may help.  If you just want to play with equipment have fun but have a way to objectively compare performance.

To be honest I am completely confused: you say you hit it high but bought a 12 degree driver because you want to hit it higher because you believe that will give you more distance but you want a low launch shaft because you hit it too high.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

30 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

He was trying to help you and let you know shaft labels, measurements and such mean nothing without any context.

Torque is only relative to the manufacturer measuring it. You will see a hzrdus shaft on titleist website listed with a different torque than what’s on px website because titleist measures differently than PX.

Flex means nothing outside of shaft in the same line with the same weight class. So 60 5.5 is regular or regular compared to the 6.0 which will be stiff and the 6.5 extra stiff. Once you move to the 70g family the 5.5 in that shaft isn’t the same as the 5.5 in the 60.

if you are interested more in what’s being said about shafts and why it’s more of a swing issue or how shafts influence read this thread on wrx 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1860305-shafts-when-to-change-and-when-to-tweak-lofts/

Also search “diy driver tune up wrx” which will help you find the sweet spot on driver and how to get your driver setup

4 hours ago, Bang60 said:

@jaskanskiwasn't being condescending.  I agree with everything he said.

Without launch monitor numbers like @RickyBobby_PR suggested, there is no reason to think you are hitting the ball too high.  Any semi decent pro/fitter wouldn't give someone a 12 degree driver head if they are hitting the ball too high.

I used to chase shaft changes to help change ball flight.  It took a lot of time and money to realize that I was chasing my tail and that no shaft was going to drop my spin or lower my flight unless it directly influenced how I swung and delivered the head into the ball.

Oh - and "flowing" and "spining" a shaft are going to make even less difference than actually changing a shaft.

8 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Lots with all of this. Most has been said. If everything is going too high then it would seem to be more of a swing or setup issue vs equipment. However with what you have given a 12* head loft it down. That's a start. I've used that shaft in stiff and well to be frank didn't notice much difference in flight. Only big difference was the weight and how it made my g400 feel. Distance and Overall data were similar.

Too high - loft down. Still too high different head? Hopefully the shaft feels good for your swing and you find the results you want.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

All I know is I am not "supposed" to be swinging a HZRDUS Green but I do because it feels good and I know where that ball is going 9/10 times (we want talk about that 1). 

If it feels good and the ball goes straight, pitter patter lets getatter

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I play a 12* driver as well and I can say I wasted about 9 months trying to play a Hzrdus Smoke Yellow. Like @RickyBobby_PR said, the shaft is ultimately about feel which I discounted for a long time. Basically I have a cheap high torque shaft that I love the timing of and I swapped it out for a Hzrdus Smoke Yellow because I assumed it was a "better" shaft because of its brand name, cost, etc. Everything is hard work with the Hzrdus and almost every contact with the ball feels dead or thin (the ball comes out fine most of the time). When I use the cheap, torquey shaft all of the sudden my tempo feels different and center face contact feels like there is an extra "oomph" from the low kick point in my cheapo shaft. Different strokes for different folks but I don't like the Hzrdus line, too low torque for me to ever feel like the club is loading and unloading. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

@Bang60, if you want to go about this on your own then here is my suggestion as you are basically going down the path and of learning club fitting.  This path will result in guesses and failure and cost as you are basically experimenting because you don’t have a set of heuristics to help efficiently navigate what may or may not work.

1. Start with a baseline shaft and head and capture numbers associated with the swing.  Your rapsodo launch monitor is on the low end and may not be accurate enough to do this effectively. 

2. identify what you want to change and learn how the various things about a shaft influence those variables.   You may need to purchase a membership to this site as it measures shafts against each other on a consistent scale.  https://www.golfshaftreviews.info/ei/

3. buy a shaft or head and see if it does what you want.  Heads will generally have a bigger influence on things like launch and spin.  Shafts will influence feel and how you deliver the club.  
4. Going through shafts and heads will help you learn how you personally respond to changes in a shafts profile and it’s stiffness in the various sections.   

5 if the combo doesn’t work buy another piece of equipment  that might help achieve  the desired change.  
6. Compare the results and repeat most of these steps.  

no one is saying you can’t do this alone, but experimenting  on your own can be an expensive strategy.   I do this type of thing with putters because I like putters and I like learning how design characteristics influence the putting stroke.   To really get help on a better shaft or head, you have to build you package of information and be able to communicate how you respond to shaft profiles and head design. 

49 minutes ago, cnosil said:

buy a shaft or head and see if it does what you want.  Heads will generally have a bigger influence on things like launch and spin.  Shafts will influence feel and how you deliver the club.  

This is the important piece. Find the head that gets launch characteristics in the right window for your ball speed and then fine tune with the shaft.

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is the important piece. Find the head that gets launch characteristics in the right window for your ball speed and then fine tune with the shaft.

Thank you that's precisely what I'm trying to do, if I've not said the right words then sorry about that. My last lessons were 4 months ago and while I'd think it's the right thing to do it doesn't work for me, I want someone with the right launch monitor that gives the right information to make an informed choice but the local Taylormade fitter was not good just watched me swing and I made no progress and was none the wiser. I believe the Titleist fitter is good but I'm not buying Titleist and that's the deal with him, so back to square one and experiment with what I have. Thanks to all who posted a opinion..

14 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1860305-shafts-when-to-change-and-when-to-tweak-lofts/

Also search “diy driver tune up wrx” which will help you find the sweet spot on driver and how to get your driver setup

I've read it once and have saved the link to my desktop and I have the sweet spot finder info and use it, thanks for your feedback...

Edited by Bang60
Error