What Equipment Have You Tested?

GolfSpy_APH

18 hours ago, cnosil said:

Got to try some new equipment today.   

Vice VGP02 putter - definitely heavy with a 395 gram head.  The one thing I noticed was that it seemed very hot off the face.  

Titleist GT3 Driver - Tried it out but the setup wasn't for me.   I'd be willing to try some of the other heads and shafts to see if they might be better. 

Titleist GT Fairway - This club was simply amazing.  Great ball speed and easy to hit.   

What fairway did you hit? 3 wood?

1 hour ago, BradM said:

What fairway did you hit? 3 wood?

I don't know if it was the GT2 or GT3 but he said it was a 16.5*  so technically 4 wood.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

46 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don't know if it was the GT2 or GT3 but he said it was a 16.5*  so technically 4 wood.  

The 4w from Titleist is so good.  It is my go to club from tee or fairway. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

16 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

The 4w from Titleist is so good.  It is my go to club from tee or fairway. 

I recently tested TSR 5W and 7W. With a 85 gram shaft both were amazing.  I bet the GT is even better,  can’t wait to put one of these new Titleists in the bag.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

So I have some new gear coming. Looking to sell the old stuff to offset the price of a range finder. What do you normally do? Sell it to your local golf shop? Dicks/Golf Galaxy trade in? 

15 minutes ago, BradM said:

So I have some new gear coming. Looking to sell the old stuff to offset the price of a range finder. What do you normally do? Sell it to your local golf shop? Dicks/Golf Galaxy trade in? 

Ve traded at the local golf shop and sold via the usual avenues (eBay, forums, Facebook).   Each has its own pros and cons.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Tested the new Mizuno Hot  Metal Pro, with a DG 105 S300 and Lamkin grip.  The 22 Hi Fli. with a steel shaft. 

I will be talking about it on my live stream the 19th at 530 pm with John Freeman of Mizuno. 

If you would like to ask questions join us on the youtube channel mcgolf custom clubs. It will be fun

Edited by McGolf

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Hit the gt3 and 4 with extra stiff shafts yesterday along with some others

gt3- felt like butter but spun to much for me and ballooned. Could have been shaft or head. 

gt4- made me feel like a pro! Spin was around 1,700 carried 305 rolled almost 340 total. And this was 3 swings back to back that carried over 300. Dead straight flight which I’m a duck hook kinda swinger  so this for me was amazing.

Cobra dark ls- I don’t get how this is a ls head but I was hitting 3,000 back spin also with a ls shaft. 

On 8/12/2024 at 2:03 PM, Ghaige horne said:

Hit the gt3 and 4 with extra stiff shafts yesterday along with some others

gt3- felt like butter but spun to much for me and ballooned. Could have been shaft or head. 

gt4- made me feel like a pro! Spin was around 1,700 carried 305 rolled almost 340 total. And this was 3 swings back to back that carried over 300. Dead straight flight which I’m a duck hook kinda swinger  so this for me was amazing.

Cobra dark ls- I don’t get how this is a ls head but I was hitting 3,000 back spin also with a ls shaft. 

Everything I have read about the GT4 head has been amazing. Need to try one as soon as I get the chance.

What shafts were you testing with?

Logo_NIKE_svg.png.aa47c753cf0f1cbb210897453d28c238.png  Driver: Nike VR Pro Limited Edition // Mitsubishi Diamana 'ahina 65g (9.5°, Stiff)

Mizuno-Logo.png.89234d3cf7090e67e8fedd0d9c46e969.png  Fairway Woods: Mizuno ST-G // Mitsubishi Kai'li 60g (15° & 18°, Stiff)

Mizuno-Logo.png.89234d3cf7090e67e8fedd0d9c46e969.png  Irons: Mizuno MP15 // True Temper DG S300 (4-PW, Stiff)

TaylorMade_svg.png.bef6944101c5be1db359e84c1f9e5ffa.png  Wedges: Taylormade Z-Spin // True Temper DG S300 (52°/9°B, 56°/12°B, 60°/10°B, Stiff)

Logo_NIKE_svg.png.aa47c753cf0f1cbb210897453d28c238.png  Putter: Nike Method Milled Model 004 (35")

⭐ Currently Testing: the ShotScope Pro ZR, see my review here ⭐

Just now, Gravenor said:

Everything I have read about the GT4 head has been amazing. Need to try one as soon as I get the chance.

Don’t quote me but all Ik is it was a 6.5 hzrds smoke. It was all black with a carbon effect up towards the grip(noticed it bc it was very cool) not sure on specs other than it was a 9* head

Took the new GT3,out for a spin earlier this week and used my shaft, mixed results, hit it better at the range than on the course. Interesting that a podcast from Michael Bree’s on Adam Scott and him going back to his old fitter changed/saved his 2024 season, in hindsight may have bit me in the a$$ when I used my shaft. Sticking your own shaft in a new driver with new technology may not benefit you, that’s why you should get fit, and allow the fitter to introduce shafts for the new equipment.

Robert Rosas

I went into a PGA superstore and hit two irons and then had a Callaway Demo Day at the course yesterday

I tried the Callaway Apex and the Srixon ZX5 side by side . This was the second time trying to hit them. The first time I thought they were solid and wanted to re-hit them and compare to the srixon's. I was blasting the srixon's past the Apex's which was not what I was expecting. Srixon has now moved itself into the pole position for new irons.

Yesterday tried out the AI200/300 irons and did not enjoy hitting them at all. Surprising because I have hit the previous apex and liked them but they did not work at all for my swing.

While there, I messed around with the new Callaway driver. (May have been AI smoke?). I was hitting it about 20 yards past my rogue but then we swapped shafts on the rogue. Turns out I really like the mitsubishi kaili white shaft. I may upgrade it depending on if I can find it somewhere for cheap.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybrid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :callaway-small:  Tour X 2024
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours or Sketchers Max Fairway Go 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2024 at 10:14 AM, Gravenor said:

I too tried the GT2 / 3 / 4....Every shaft combo I tried with the 3 and 4 each still stunk, but as soon as I got the +2 gram weight in the GT2 and a Graphite Design Tour AD-VF 6 S (stiff) shaft...now THAT was money.  290 carry easily and some where over that.  320 wasn't out of the question for rollout either...it can't arrive soon enough!  Shipping 09-06 or so I hear...

New Level 480 TC. I bought the Demo 7i with the Elevate 95 R shaft. I play Steelfiber 95s in my Apex. Just wanted to try it out. I like the look and feel of it. Not sure it’s much different than mine. It does have less loft which I am looking for in my 7-PW irons. Would like to try the 480 MC, but in a Steelfiber shaft. Their store is nearby and I might go hit some in a fitting there. 

Driver PING G430 Max 10K Red Hzrdus Regular flex

3wood Taylormade Burner Fuji Pro 2.0 S

5w/7w PING G 430 Max Red Hzrdus Reg.

5 hybrid PING Anser

6i-AW Callaway Apex 21 Steelfiber i95 R

52/54/58 wedges PING s159

Putter Callaway Odyssey OG 1 

On 7/29/2024 at 8:16 AM, BradM said:

We have 2nd Swing as an option for trade in. They don’t pay a lot, but there’s not too many places that pay much. eBay is alway an option if you want to go through all that. Or you can sell to a friend. I resolve myself to the idea I’m not going to get much for them. 

5 hybrid PING Anser

1 hour ago, Heyweb said:

We have 2nd Swing as an option for trade in. They don’t pay a lot, but there’s not too many places that pay much. eBay is alway an option if you want to go through all that. Or you can sell to a friend. I resolve myself to the idea I’m not going to get much for them. 

Obviously, the party buying used clubs can't offer too much
because then they have to sell the club at its real worth
to make a small profit.

That's one reason why I tend to hoard old clubs.
Also, my woods and putters tend to be a bit rough looking
because of my impatience with headcovers.

On 8/31/2024 at 10:21 AM, RetiredBoomer said:

Obviously, the party buying used clubs can't offer too much
because then they have to sell the club at its real worth
to make a small profit.

That's one reason why I tend to hoard old clubs.
Also, my woods and putters tend to be a bit rough looking
because of my impatience with headcovers.

Same. Can’t part with the old ones! Never tried eBay myself. I just kind of chalk it up to golf life!

5 hybrid PING Anser

Just picked up a Justin Rose axis 1 off eBay 2 weeks ago. I was gaming an Odyssey 5k trihot triple wide, which I liked but found that an lack of focus resulted in pulls or pushes.  The old double Miss as they say. No bueno. 

I've been eyeing the LAB putters and a random guy at my local course let me roll his around the practice green for a bit 2 months back.  It was like nothing I've ever swung before. 

That sent me down the rabbit hole of golf gear research where I discovered the axis1 which can be found used for a whole lot less than a LAB and honestly the Odyssey 7 shape of the rose was a lot more appealing to me visually. 

Sort I scooped one up off eBay for $190!

I've been gaming it for 2 weeks and I'll say that my putting has definitely improved. I have far less miss hits and fined that the ball goes where I intend to hit it with a nice end over end roll. I'm not always great at reading greens but I've found my ability to get the ball close from 15' out has dropped my rate of 3 puts by a substantial amount.

The feel of the club has taking some getting used to. It weighs less than my 5k which I didn't love at first but I think this may be why my distance is better. Also the sound is a bit "plasticy" due to the hind quarters of the club being plastic I believe. I was a bit disappointed to discover that when it arrived and wished I would have searched for the elite milled version.  Even though the white hot insert sounds and feels a bit better on my triple wide 5k, the no torque on this axis1 is worth the trade off and I am putting better with it.  The consistent roll and better stats means I'll be gaming this club for a while, at least until something else catches my eye.

IMG_20240901_142804.jpg

BlueSky

Maxfli Tour. Played the Tour X before and I like it. Performed well. Lots of height on Tball. First time playing the Tour. It’s the 2023 version. I really like it. A bit lower off the tee, I don’t need help with height, loved it into the greens and I found the spin off the wedges was good. Only downside is they seem to scuff a bit easier. But maybe I should keep them in play! Lots of close OBs at my course, so if it’s an off day (Not Today says my Driver) I am OK losing them, they’re cost effective. I’m in!

5 hybrid PING Anser

Winn dri tac midsize grips on cobra aerojet the feel is superb very soft and squishy. nice tacky feeling club compression feels amazing. actually hit better with these grips then standard golf pride velvet always lose grips and turn my hands to much maybe due to smaller grips . Now with newer grips hit straighter and farther. 

chris

I picked up my Callaway Opus wedges today and used them in our second round of the club championships, so quite the intro for them…

Anyway, stats first

50 degree, S grind, 10 degree bounce, standard shaft, CP2 grips.

54 degree, 12 bounce

58, same settings as 50.

what I love:

how it sits on the ground, giving you a sense of confidence standing over the ball. My old wedges had very worn grooves so used to run out a fair way and now you have to allow for the ball to catch and stop.

good problem to have as you can be more aggressive and throw the ball at the pin knowing that the wedge will take care of the rest. 

Bunker play is exceptional with a lot of control out of the sand and again, the ability to feel as though the ball will stop with a good amount of spin coming naturally from the deep grooves. 
After one round with them I can’t wait to find out how they perform with more confidence in pin seeking. 

IMG_3537.jpeg

IMG_3536.jpeg

Edited by Sandgroper

Callaway Epic D/3W

Callaway Epic Hybrid (3,4)

Callaway Rogue Hybrid (5)

Callaway AI Smoke Irons (7,8,9,P,A)

Callaway Opus Wedges (Chrome,S Grind,10d 50,54,58)

Haven’t tested anything myself but do watch a lot testing these early mornings. Many times when comparing different drivers of different years they will use the same shaft to be fair, which may seem fair. It came to me yesterday morning that if they are testing different models from different years if there is actually any differences there’s a good chance a different shafts might work better. Even more so hitting different brands. Just a thought from an old man up too early. 

Driver -:callaway-logo-1: GBB Epic

Fairway -:cobra-small: Baffler 5W

Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2,4,5h

Irons -:cobra-small:      Baffler XL 7-P-G

SW - :cobra-small:

Putter - :EVNROLL: ER2

Just recieved the Orange Swing Mid and Light Swing trainers.   Have not used them yet due to work weekend, but plan on getting down with it this week!

Also currently installed the star grips tour 360+ jumbo grips on all my clubs.  So far those have been fantastic!  Small adjustments coming from standard grips though.

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I tested the Snell 3.0 and 4.0 balls my last few rounds.  Used one ball on the front, the other on the back. Then switched the next week.  Both balls are excellent but scuff easier compared to the Srixon Q Star Tours I was using before. The scuffs were minor and had no effect on play.  Trajectory on the 3.0 for me was really high (I hit the ball REALLY high).  4.0 was lower, so that's what I'm going with. Both balls felt great around the greens and stopped plenty quickly. Putting they felt identical.    

Cleveland TA-3 Forged - 4-9i
Cleveland 588 RTG - PW, GW
Mizuno T24 - SW
Mizuno Tzoid 9degree driver
Adams Assault 13degree 3w
Adams Tight Lies Tour 17 degree 5w
Adams Mission putter

Was lucky enough to get some of the new TP5x balls. The ones that say they're supposed to go almost a half clubs longer. Well they do. They go like rocket shops. Stopping power around the greens isn't too bad. But the driving/long iron game definately benefitted from these balls in play. A few tricky "into 2-3 club" winds were proof when I only took an extra club and still made the distance. Shame there's a few of them in the bushes for people to find now. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

I’ve always liked the idea of playing with a mallet putter. You watch the pros and it seems like a vast majority play a mallet which makes me think there has to be something to it. That being said in my tries giving it a go I can’t make it work. The long straight lines in the back of the putter feels strange to me with an arched stroke. I’m now trying out a Toulon Columbus putter- blade style with some weight and not too much toe hang. So far it seems like a sweet spot for me!

I recently did a little testing of a buddy’s GT3 8° driver as well as his T150 irons. The driver feels a bit different off the face compared to my TSi3 but is still very likeable. The T150 irons felt great! I don’t really NEED new irons but I may go talk my fitting friend and hit a few things just to be sure. 😁

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black Official Tester Review

:BagBoy: Nitron push cart Unofficial review  

Tried a Link putter Saturday at a local course. Actually really loved the feel and roll of it. If I was t committed to my DF I would consider it more but I am in it for the long haul. It would be great for folks that are feel putters. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 60g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I have recently purchased the claw pro golf glove. I have only used it for a round and a half but so far I have no complaints. It has very good grip when dry but I haven't been able to try it out in wet conditions yet. In hot conditions the mesh backing really helps to keep it cooler.  I would definitely be willing to buy this glove again. 

Driver-:PXG: Gen6 Tensei white 75g xflex tipped 9 degree

3 wood- :PXG:proto 

hybrid- :PXG: proto

irons- :mizuno-small: mp52

gw- :cleveland-small: 50 degree 

sw- :callaway-logo-1: jaws 56 degree

lw- :cleveland-small: 64 degree

putter- :PXG: bat attack

bag- :ping-small:

ball- :bridgestone-small:  :titleist-small:   

Currently testing a SIK Jo Armlock putter - 39 inches, 77 lie angle, 7 loft - 

I ventured into the world of LAB golf and really liked their link putter. So much so that I sold my tried and true, my first love, an Evnroll ER2. 

But when I saw the armlock, I just felt like I needed to try it out. So far, I love it. The 8 footers and in feel like you cannot miss. The lag putting has taken a bit more to get used to, but its coming along. 0 3 putts in my last two rounds! 

KB

Titleist GT 3 - Aretera Grey One 75 | 5

Callaway AI Mini Driver - 11.5 - Aretera Grey One 75 | 5

Titleist T100's - Axiom 125x

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54

Titleist SM10 58 wedge

Sik Jo Armlock