Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Re-Shafting One Length Irons

I recently got told that I should move from Regular shafts to stiff shafts as my club head speed is around 100. I'm currently playing one-length irons and am having difficulty understanding exactly what shafts I need to be choosing as I am not sure if I need to buy all 7 iron-length shafts or buy the long iron shaft and cut them down for my 5 & 6 irons. I was told by a local club repair guy to look into Paderson Kinetixx One Length, but I can't find the one length anywhere. Any recommendations for shafts are also greatly appreciated!

PS. I know I need to switch back to conventional irons but as a broke college kid I have to work with what I've got.

WITB:
Driver: Stock Cobra F6

3W/5W: King Cobra (circa 1994 😳)

Utility: Cobra Forged Tec 3 Iron & 4 Iron

Hybrid: 3/4H Cobra Rad One Length 

Irons: Cobra SpeedZone One Length (G-5i)

Wedge: Cobra  PUR 60 deg. 

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2013 Dual Balance Newport

First off, there isn't a need to switch back to conventional if the one length clubs are working for you. Don't let social norms determine that.  As far as the shaft is concerned.  You'll want to purchase all the same shafts, either 6 or 7 iron depending on the set.  For some reason I thought Cobra used 6 iron length for their one length clubs.  If Cobra uses .370 parallel shafts instead of taper tip .355 shafts, then you'll just purchase the same 41" blank and tip trim all the irons the same for either the 6 or 7 iron.

My bag is a revolving door!

32 minutes ago, Nayrrenrag said:

I recently got told that I should move from Regular shafts to stiff shafts as my club head speed is around 100. I'm currently playing one-length irons and am having difficulty understanding exactly what shafts I need to be choosing as I am not sure if I need to buy all 7 iron-length shafts or buy the long iron shaft and cut them down for my 5 & 6 irons. I was told by a local club repair guy to look into Paderson Kinetixx One Length, but I can't find the one length anywhere. Any recommendations for shafts are also greatly appreciated!

PS. I know I need to switch back to conventional irons but as a broke college kid I have to work with what I've got.

Be sure to pay attention to weight as well. If possible could you go and demo a set of one lengths even if they are slightly newer version to test out a few different shafts? 

What are your regulars? 

As many will likely comment following this, regular, stiff, xstiff and senior aren't exact measurements. Different brands play stiffer or softer than the stated flex and there are so many different weight categories as well it can be quite a task. 

Even something like staying at a regular but going heavier can sometimes be an options. 

The story and world of shafts can get pretty overwhelming, so be sure to test as much as you can and that should hopefully help narrow down your decision. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Reshafting one length irons can be a little tricky. If you're playing Cobras, there is a chance that not all shafts are the same. Technically, you should be able to play the same shaft in every iron but you may or may not lose some desired flight/launch characteristics. In the past, Cobra single lengths are obviously the same length but they may have used a PW shaft in the PW except that it's cut to the length of the 7 iron. I don't know if that is strictly necessary since the magic of one length heads is that the weights are adjusted to basically all be played with a similar weight shaft. FST makes some really good shafts that are budget friendly that you can buy from places like Golfworks.

Alternatively, you can just keep playing your regular shafts. If you're playing with steel shafts currently, they will suffice and not hurt you. Yes, you may very well fit better into a heavier stiff shaft but I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it. Now if you're playing with regular graphite, then I would look harder into getting different shafts if you're serious about golf.

Ultimately, just because you're swinging faster doesn't necessarily mean you absolutely need new shafts. If you feel okay with your current set, keep them.