Testers Announced! Evnroll and Precision Pro ×

Mavrik Sub Zero Driver for Mid Swing Speed Golfers??

Why did MyGolf Spy recommend a Mavrik Sub Zero driver for a mid swing speed golfer. This goes against everything I’ve ever read about Sub Zero Drivers. They are normally recommended for high swing speed golfers because of the lower spin, since high swing speed guys don’t have any trouble getting the ball in the air.

4 minutes ago, davewr58 said:

Why did MyGolf Spy recommend a Mavrik Sub Zero driver for a mid swing speed golfer. This goes against everything I’ve ever read about Sub Zero Drivers. They are normally recommended for high swing speed golfers because of the lower spin, since high swing speed guys don’t have any trouble getting the ball in the air.

I've played and owned the Mavrik Sub Zero. It has adjustable weights and lofts so it can sit a variety of golfers and swing speeds. 

Add in different shaft options and again it can suit another subset of golfers.

Yes, in a broad view sub zero fits Hugh swing speed, but we have seen it time and time again in most wanted testing that low spin models work well for lower swing speed players as well. Could be because they hit down and get extra doing, cut across or any other factors. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Thanks and, yes, I also saw the Stealth Plus did well for mid swing speed guys in both distance and accuracy. Reason I asked the question is that I make clubs and play a lot (~ 150 rounds/yr.) and I’m thinking of trying a low spin driver, so I appreciate your comments.

3 minutes ago, davewr58 said:

Thanks and, yes, I also saw the Stealth Plus did well for mid swing speed guys in both distance and accuracy. Reason I asked the question is that I make clubs and play a lot (~ 150 rounds/yr.) and I’m thinking of trying a low spin driver, so I appreciate your comments.

As should be done with all your clubs,  you need to try them to see what works.  I'm a higher swing speed player and the low spin drivers don't always work for me because I struggle with low spin.  It is all about how you deliver the club at impact.    In general, don't dismiss any club or component based on the targeted player.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Launch angle is the other important factor.  I haven't looked into this, so I don't know the full story with the Mavrik Sub Zero but I'd assume it launched higher than the other low spin drivers.  That could/would make it more suitable for moderate swing speeds.

And, of course, there's the matter of attack angle on a golfer-to-golfer basis.  A moderate swing speed golfer with a downward AoA is going to want the lowest spin driver they can hit straight.  I'm on the low end of 'high' swing speed, but I have all kinds of trouble when I try to hit up with driver; hitting slightly downward is just more natural and controllable for me.  So, I'm always looking at low spin drivers, which would be true even if I swung slower.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:03 AM, Brooky03 said:

Launch angle is the other important factor.  I haven't looked into this, so I don't know the full story with the Mavrik Sub Zero but I'd assume it launched higher than the other low spin drivers.  That could/would make it more suitable for moderate swing speeds.

And, of course, there's the matter of attack angle on a golfer-to-golfer basis.  A moderate swing speed golfer with a downward AoA is going to want the lowest spin driver they can hit straight.  I'm on the low end of 'high' swing speed, but I have all kinds of trouble when I try to hit up with driver; hitting slightly downward is just more natural and controllable for me.  So, I'm always looking at low spin drivers, which would be true even if I swung slower.

Launch comes from loft and how the golfer swings the club. Someone that adds loft at impact can hit a low launch head even with a low lunch shaft high.

someone that hits low on the face is going to have higher spin. There are slower sping golfers in low spin design heads because of how they swing 

The only way to know what or how anub or shaft will work for a person is to test it. Either go demo it at a golf shop, go to a manufacturers demo day or go to a fitting. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Launch comes from loft and how the golfer swings the club. Someone that adds loft at impact can hit a low launch head even with a low lunch shaft high.

someone that hits low on the face is going to have higher spin. There are slower sping golfers in low spin design heads because of how they swing 

The only way to know what or how anub or shaft will work for a person is to test it. Either go demo it at a golf shop, go to a manufacturers demo day or go to a fitting. 

AoA and loft at impact tend to go hand-in-hand.  Not always, but usually.  Regardless, to the point being made about the test results, the characteristics of a club and how it is weighted can affect launch quite a bit, not just the golf swing.

The variable of the golfer's swing is removed in this case (sort of) because it's the same group of golfers hitting different clubs for the driver test.  Across that group of moderate swingspeed golfers, the Mavrik Sub Zero apparently performed well.  Since we know it's low spin, launch angle and 'hotness' across the face are really the only two things left that the club could impact.

Edited by Brooky03
11 minutes ago, Brooky03 said:

AoA and loft at impact tend to go hand-in-hand.  Not always, but usually.  Regardless, to the point being made about the test results, the characteristics of a club and how it is weighted can affect launch quite a bit, not just the golf swing.

The variable of the golfer's swing is removed in this case (sort of) because it's the same group of golfers hitting different clubs for the driver test.  Across that group of moderate swingspeed golfers, the Mavrik Sub Zero apparently performed well.  Since we know it's low spin, launch angle and 'hotness' across the face are really the only two things left that the club could impact.

Disagree and will leave it at that.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

19 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Disagree and will leave it at that.

I'm not sure what there is to disagree with.  OP wasn't asking for a driver to fit his swing.  He was asking what about the club made it perform unexpectedly better for moderate swing speed golfers in the test.  Independent of swing (same golfers putting the same swing on different clubs), the club performed better than other low spin drivers for that group.  That means there's something different about the Mavrik that made it better, not something different about the swings.  Which of course does not mean the club is best for all moderate swing speed players.  Again, though, that wasn't the question asked.  Perhaps my second paragraph in my original post is causing some of the confusion?  I was making a tangential point with my swing as an example.

If you thought I was saying swing doesn't change how a driver performs, I was not.

edit: and, fwiw, the answer to OP's question seems to be ball speed or 'hotness' of the face rather than launch angle, based on the testing data.

Edited by Brooky03
  • 1 month later...
On 7/4/2023 at 5:18 PM, davewr58 said:

Why not? I think it all comes down to your delivery, your aoa and a few more factors. It's misleading to assume that you can only play a certain type of driver. I went to my first fitting a few years ago and the fitter asked me what I liked. I basically told him I'm here with an open mind and bring anything you've got. I got fitted to a Mizuno ST190 but my second option was a sub zero. As always, for me anyways, ANY MGS test is strictly a guideline for us to use. You could take that recommendation, head over to a fitter and ask him to try it and it could be completely wrong for you OR it could be the perfect fit. Just take it as a starting point and an open mind. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• 2 months later...

It's possible that MyGolf Spy found unique performance characteristics in the Mavrik Sub Zero that benefit mid-swing speed golfers. Manufacturers sometimes design clubs to provide unexpected advantages for specific player profiles. It's always worth considering their reasoning before making a decision.

On 7/4/2023 at 3:18 PM, davewr58 said:

This was my initial reaction too. But a guy in my normal group, got a Mav SZ from a guy he works with. He plays a Rogue St Max D. Kinda hits it sporadic, but nothing too fancy. He’s prob in the high 80s-low 90s SS. He was hitting his Rogue about like normal for the first 3-4 holes. Told him to try that Mavrik out. Hit it, it was ok. Was getting a little more distance, but kinda ballooning on him. Had him plug his shaft into that Mavrik head, and oh my! This guy, was a totally different golfer! Instant confidence! It was literally the best I’ve ever seen him hit a driver. He kept asking me what I would do if I was in his shoes. Long story short, he sold his Rogue that afternoon, purchased the Mavrik during the round (via Venmo) & is loving golf again. He’s always been one of the guys who thinks the newest is the greatest, but this was quite eye opening for him. At the end of our round, he said to me, now I see why you still hit that old Epic Flash 3D. 🤣 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck