Draw a Line on the Ball or No Line?

KC Golf

Got a question to start the week.  

Do you draw a line on the ball or no line? Why?

I tried having the line on my ball for 2 years but went back to no line.  Putting okay without the line particularly for long putts.  But thinking about going back to a line for short putts.  

Thoughts?

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

I go back and forth on this one.  I really don't like using the line because I feel like I spend way too much time lining it up.  But, there is definitely an added level of confidince standing over a 5 footer knowing all you have to do is get the ball rolling on that line and it should hit the hole.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

No line. My ADHD and OCD brain would blow a gasket trying to align 1 inch with 10ft. I'm doing my best currently to shorten my routine and suck at golf a little faster 🤣🤣

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

1 minute ago, Parshooter36 said:

I go back and forth on this one.  I really don't like using the line because I feel like I spend way too much time lining it up.  But, there is definitely an added level of confidince standing over a 5 footer knowing all you have to do is get the ball rolling on that line and it should hit the hole.

I like the idea of it but find most balls “model” text line does the job for me when lining up

WITB

14 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

I totally agree with you.
I just don’t know whether a line works or not. 

I am thinking of adding back the line and seeing through Arccos if my putting stats improve on short putts.

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

I definitely use a line on the ball for putting but now also on the tee. Watching the ladies on the LPGA tour, I see several ladies that line up their ball on the tee, and that practice has worked well for me. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

7 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I definitely use a line on the ball for putting but now also on the tee. Watching the ladies on the LPGA tour, I see several ladies that line up their ball on the tee, and that practice has worked well for me. 

I hadn’t noticed that.  So they line their hand drawn line on the tee box?  I usually just use the ball manufactures line.  That’s interesting.  

31 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

I hadn’t noticed that.  So they line their hand drawn line on the tee box?  I usually just use the ball manufactures line.  That’s interesting.  

I don't know whether they hand draw a line or use the manufacturers line - but just noticed a number of them like Lydia Ko will align the ball off of the tee - I starting doing that because I tend to be misaligned off of the tee. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I am a line player.   Did a line for a long time, then switched to seeing nothing, and now I am back to a line.   I feel like it helps me get a little better setup.   I also recognize that there are enough imperfections in the green that thinks like a aimpoint and using a line are only going to be so perfect and just be good enough.  This keeps me from stressing over the perfection of where the line points.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, KC Golf said:

I tried having the line on my ball for 2 years but went back to no line.  Putting okay without the line particularly for long putts.  But thinking about going back to a line for short putts.  

Thoughts?

I don't draw a line because I use a 2ball. The provided line from the factory great for me

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

No line. I like a clean look on the ball when I putt. I aim the putter to my intermediate target 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've line up the ball for many years as I, too, have trouble aligning myself otherwise. I tried over-writing the mfg model designation but found little difference from just using the printed line/model designation. I loaded up on Maxfli balls last winter that has a distinctive line (parallel lines above & below the model designation) that also matches the direction of the spin balanced equator, so they make it easy. But I try to go one step farther by picking out a small divot/grass clump/dirt patch to align behind the ball to provide a longer and easier to see line. To no one's surprise, that doesn't always work! 🤪

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

The last two balls that I've used already have a line on them.  I do use the line and I do aim it at an intermediate target.  I'm far more focused on the target than the line though.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I always use a line for putting and will take a lot of convincing to change. My putting stats improved significantly (make percentages for 2m and 3m putts up by about 10%) when I changed and have stayed there.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

No line for me. To my thinking, my eyes need to be directly over the ball to see correctly to get the line on my putter aligned with the line on the ball. When I tried it, I didn't think I was getting that alignment correct and it threw me off.

I have to say, though, that a good roll from someone that uses a line is fun to watch.

I never was a fan of drawing a line on my balls due to my ocd and lazyness, so i just use the markings already on the ball. but then learning about CG of balls being off a little conpared to markings, i think i would us the cg finder to mark my ball so i know i would be getting a true aligned spin, but then i look at my handicap and tell myself "im not that guy, pal, im not that guy" 

Edited by The_Captain

Titleist TS3 - Driver & 3W, X-Stiff

TaylorMade M2 - 4-PW, Stiff

Topflight (shut up 🤪) - AW, GW, SW

Odyssey White Hot OG1 - Putter

I’m a line player. Always a blue line. I use it for putts and on the tee box.
On the tee box I pick a spot in the fairway or a tree on a dog leg. I align my line up with that and just focus on swinging down the line on the ball.

I just played with a guy yesterday and he noticed what I was doing but said nothing until the 18th tee after I hit and he said, “Do you ever get tired of splitting the fairway?”  A quick grin and followed by a nope. I just find that it works for me.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I don't draw anything myself but I'll use whatever is available, be it manufacturer's marks or something already drawn on a found ball.  I do fiddle with aligning the ball on the green but it doesn't feel excessive and does give me confidence when I can match the ball line and my putter line.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I specifically hide the line while putting - as others have said, I am unsure that the line is pointed at my target, obsess over it (btw is it perfectly oriented or slightly rolled to or away from me in addition to the sim) and blow a gasket. But the idea of doing it off the tee… may have to try that.  Yeah, may not feel confident pointing it at something twenty feet away, but 365 yards, sure. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I really appreciate the feedback to my question.  Please keep it coming.  

If anyone has Arccos or other stats on their short putts with the line or no line,I would be curious to hear about it, too.

I agree that for long putts no line is definitely better.  It’s the short putts with breaks that I am not sure if it improves your putting or not.  

I also have always used the manufactures line on drives.  I am not sure why you wouldn’t use that on drives.  Have not tried driving a ball with a hand drawn line. But I think that might be a little distracting for me.

I am going to try a line and no line (a few rounds each) and see how my putt stats look for 10 ft or less putts.  That area of short putting is just not great for me.  But I think it’s my green reading and speed vs the aim, but that’s a guess.  My aim this year looks fairly good when I try a rail or ruler on the practice green.

The quest for better putting continues…. 😂

1 hour ago, KC Golf said:

It’s the short putts with breaks that I am not sure if it improves your putting or not.  

My opinion on this is that it depends on read putts.  Do you see the line the ball travels on and judge that way or do you find a spot like aimpoint does.   I basically look at slope and based on some aimpoint/vector putting theory pick a spot and line the line on my ball to a spot.  Essentially eliminating the concept of break since everything is a straight putt.  If you see the line of the putt and try to roll the ball along that curve a line on then ball may not be beneficial.   It comes down to feel and mechanics and how you gather information. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The balls I use have lines on them so don't need to draw, but I use this for every putt. I focus on that line in comparison to the line on my putter to ensure I'm taking it away square to where I want to aim. Although my putting has a long long way to go, I do feel this makes an impact. I don't take practice putts per se, but I do take a practice take away, pause, and make sure the take away is square to where I want to go

Driver - Ping G400

3 Wood - Ping G425

3H - Ping G425

Irons 5-A - Taylormade p790

Wedges - Vokey SM9 54/12 & Vokey SM9 60/08

Putter - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

After a brutal putting day yesterday, I am seriously considering the line again…

I guess Titleist thinks I am an ideal victim that needs to spend big dollars for these lines. 😂

image.jpeg.976047b3264d745c54cc7214ae59e180.jpeg

After a frustrating weekend of horrible putting.  It was not all and, but it was really poor on short putting… I am going to try the line for 5 rounds to see if it works any better for 6 feet or less putts.  No line use for long putts.  Will see…  

On 8/14/2023 at 9:18 AM, KC Golf said:

Thoughts?

Yes, I draw a line on my ball. There are times I don't use it on shorter putts (inside a foot or two), but they are rare.

Personally, I know that spending time picking and, more importantly, committing to a line helps me. Once I am committed to my line I have taken that variable out. There's still a need to hit a good putt but the line is taken care of.

Another benefit to using the line on the ball is that it helps assess your putting game and potential flaws in your stroke or your green reading ability.

For example, I had a period where I kept missing right-breaking putts under the hole. I was able to tell that I was opening the face (pointing it more at the hole as I am a right-handed golfer). I was able to be confident in that assessment since I (1) knew where the line on the ball was pointed before setting up, and (2) I had aligned my putter with the line on the ball. There was a possibility I was under-reading putts as well, but, once I was more deliberate in keeping the face square on right-breaking putts I have a had a lot more success.

Driver - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G425 LST 9° (@ 8°) | Shaft: Ping Tour 2.0 Black X-flex (1.0" short)

FW -   image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G425 LST 14.5° (@ 13°) | Shaft: Alta CB 65 X-flex (1.0" short)   

FW -    image.png.86e7aa7f20ff5fea693ff7deb88b3cf6.png S IM2 HL 16.5° | Tensei Blue 65 X-flex (1.5" short)

4H - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G430 22° (@ 23°) | Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX-flex (0.5" short)

5-PW - image.png.17ff27bffaa1408726b50b14d7ad1f64.png Pro 223 | Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour3 115 X-flex

GW - image.png.2b395f96aaebf845247ff06cbd492c36.png SM9 - 50°  08/F | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

SW -  image.png.2b395f96aaebf845247ff06cbd492c36.png SM9 - 54° 12/D | Dynamic Gold S200

LW - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png Glide 4.0 - 58° 06/T | Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Played a match yesterday and didn’t have time to practice with a line so putted no line.  Best putting stats wise according to Arccos yesterday with no line.  Stroked gainedputting which almost never happens for me,  Even short putts.  

Now Re-thinking the line.  Yesterday I only putted when I committed to an exact line with a view on pace.  Also spent more time reading longer putts too. Seemed to work well for me. Sigh.  Not sure what to do now… 🤣

On 8/27/2023 at 10:16 AM, KC Golf said:

Played a match yesterday and didn’t have time to practice with a line so putted no line.  Best putting stats wise according to Arccos yesterday with no line.  Stroked gainedputting which almost never happens for me,  Even short putts.  

Now Re-thinking the line.  Yesterday I only putted when I committed to an exact line with a view on pace.  Also spent more time reading longer putts too. Seemed to work well for me. Sigh.  Not sure what to do now… 🤣

Sounds like the answer may just be to get committed to what you want to do. That's usually the best course of action for all golf shots. 

If the line helps you get there then you should absolutely use it. If being a bit more deliberate in your prep process before hitting a putt gets you there, then do that.

Driver - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G425 LST 9° (@ 8°) | Shaft: Ping Tour 2.0 Black X-flex (1.0" short)

FW -   image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G425 LST 14.5° (@ 13°) | Shaft: Alta CB 65 X-flex (1.0" short)   

FW -    image.png.86e7aa7f20ff5fea693ff7deb88b3cf6.png S IM2 HL 16.5° | Tensei Blue 65 X-flex (1.5" short)

4H - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png G430 22° (@ 23°) | Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX-flex (0.5" short)

5-PW - image.png.17ff27bffaa1408726b50b14d7ad1f64.png Pro 223 | Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour3 115 X-flex

GW - image.png.2b395f96aaebf845247ff06cbd492c36.png SM9 - 50°  08/F | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

SW -  image.png.2b395f96aaebf845247ff06cbd492c36.png SM9 - 54° 12/D | Dynamic Gold S200

LW - image.png.8590c05cae60c384abb97afdef680562.png Glide 4.0 - 58° 06/T | Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

• 3 weeks later...

Both. I draw a line and use it if i am serious about my round (align on both the tees and greens), but if it’s a friendly/leisure type round with nothing on the line then I don’t worry about it. 

i can get putts pretty close without and do practice a bit that way - especially lag putts, but i proved to my self that I have better alignment with than without. 

On 8/15/2023 at 1:34 PM, cnosil said:

My opinion on this is that it depends on read putts.  Do you see the line the ball travels on and judge that way or do you find a spot like aimpoint does.   I basically look at slope and based on some aimpoint/vector putting theory pick a spot and line the line on my ball to a spot.  Essentially eliminating the concept of break since everything is a straight putt.  If you see the line of the putt and try to roll the ball along that curve a line on then ball may not be beneficial.   It comes down to feel and mechanics and how you gather information. 

I do both of these techniques, and weirdly enough, when i am putting my best my mind literally sees a yellow stripe for the balls path to the hole that i set the line on the ball on to ensure i can send it on down the yellow brick road.