Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Iron Search Is Over...?

Iowa Hacker

I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading my irons for the last couple of years. I have been playing Cobra Baffler XL for about 10 years and they are still very usable irons. I hit them well and I know exactly what I can and can't do with them. My son has suggested upgrading the tech to see if I can get more forgiveness and maybe a little more distance. Over the past few weeks I went through a couple of fittings and hit several different irons. I hit the newest Mizuno Gi iron, well let's say I tried to hit them. They were out of the conversation pretty quickly. I was then handed the Ping G430, I hit those better and found some ball speed, but I was just not consistent enough with them. I also thought that if I spent that much money I should hear angels singing when I hit them well. I then gave Global Golf's U try program a whirl and demo'd Cobra LTDx. The good ones were real good and the okay ones were not good. I was running out of patience and ready to fall back to Plan B which was keep gaming the Baffler's.

Saturday, my demo 699v2 irons arrived in the mail. I took them to the range tonight and I was amazed at the way I hit them, no angels, but much better than anything else I had tried. I found myself making consistent ball first contact, I am a sweeper/picker typically, and the shots jumped off the club and the mishits or my usual sweeper shot still carried far. I love the very clean look of 699v2 and they have a great sound on impact. The demo clubs came with medium size grips which I have never played before and I might go that way with the new ones. I did not want to buy new irons for the sake of getting new ones. I think I have found irons that I am excited about buying. I will be taking them out to the course this weekend before I pull the trigger.

Thanks to all of you that have reviewed Sub 70 clubs, your reviews gave me the confidence to give them a try.

:callaway-small: Mavrik 9 Degree

image.png.ee19b0f17da7a45faaa30e114f86e3c9.png  Mavrik 4 Wood

image.png.cdd20ffc100c65049392af87e0ae3e49.png  Mavrik 3 Hybrid

image.png.5e6ae6d961fc0d5a2a4e5185f0e0c918.png  Mavrik 4 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: CBX 52 Degree

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole S

:odyssey-small: White Hot #5