Which club is untouchable?

Shlax

Essentially, all the clubs in my bag are replaceable if the right one would appear. 

At this point though, my TM 770 irons are as good or better than anything I ever played and were fitted and now with over a year worth of use, their chance of being removed is minute, other than to replace an individual club due to wear. My last set of irons remained in the bag for 18 years.

I have three putters that I rotate.  My Callaway SW and Cleveland Lob are constants for over ten years as well.  As stated previously, the 3 wood could be left out 95% of the time.  I am looking to try new drivers, Paradym or Stealth 2 and need to take the time to test the Ping G430 hybrids.

Edited by RwsGolf1

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

26 minutes ago, jdparker said:

Yeah I miss my older ones for sure. CG10, 900's.  They just felt right.  I need to do some testing on different wedges and upgrade that part of my bag.  I like the Vokeys but have had to add lead tape to them.  

I agree here. I need to do some testing once my Clevelands are officially done. I have one vokey, sm7 I believe and haven't been a huge fan. I have heard great things about Costco wedges so that may be an option I look at.

Damien--Titleist & TaylorMade enthusiast. Bag is feeling betrayed with no TaylorMade items in it currently. Former College golfer.

image.png.d46e5ea58c55d6c5b02a89db1e501fe0.pngCallaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5 

image.png  Titleist 816 H1 Hybrid 19*

image.png.1bd1e1ee5179defcf5675fc4508a582b.png  Byrdie Golf Designs OG Collection Irons 4-PW 

image.png CG14 60 degree

image.png.968287d9caeb64893046ab6bd3357bf0.pngT22 Copper C Grind 56.06 Degree

Pinemeadow EGI Chipper

image.png Cleveland Cleveland Golf HB Soft Premier #10.5C OS 35"

image.png.13bdddbdaccc707e6f342d9f8e7bfe4e.png OnCore Vero X2 & X1 balls

Red Rooster Testing Review:

Titleist White Box Testing Review:

15 minutes ago, d0m41n said:

I agree here. I need to do some testing once my Clevelands are officially done. I have one vokey, sm7 I believe and haven't been a huge fan. I have heard great things about Costco wedges so that may be an option I look at.

I have been looking at the Mizuno or TM but have an older TM and it's on the lighter end. Some of the DTC don't carry lefties.  The PXG looks decent on the webs but want to get my hands on one. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

For me it would be my driver, Callaway Rogue st max ls 9deg with Tensei AV Blue stuff. Been the most consistent driver I have used with good distance and dispersion. 

Part of me wants to try a couple of different shafts in it, but not a high priority. 

Second would be my Cleveland rtx zipcore 4 58 degree wedge, just works for me 

4 minutes ago, Mcastelhano916 said:

Realistically I will not replace my putter for a looooong time. It’s a Scotty Cameron squareback 2. There are putters that I may like more but this one was an anniversary present from my wife so it stays. 

Good Idea!  Still hope your marriage out lives the putter!

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

Just my two cents and there is a reason I am constantly .02 positive on my net worth (no one cares to hear it - lol)

If the club hasn't been in the bag for more than two full seasons, or stayed there while all its buddies were replaced a few times,

then hard to safely qualify it in this category.   

Not that it won't qualify and stay in your bag for many moons ......... but for my money the winners here are the clubs that have resided in the bag for three or more presidencies!   Those are the bars of golfing gold!!!

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams Pro 20*/23*  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

WEDGES: Callaway MackDaddy2 52*/56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

BALLS:   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

At this point there is no such club that is safe in my bag. If I can find something that performs better, then it very well may replace whatever it competes against.

The longest tenured club was just replaced last summer with I pulled my Carbite Golf DD putter out after 22 years and replaced it with a Sub70 002 Mid-Mallet. I wanted to test out the milled face and a bit heavier head. It's the exact same shape as my DD, but it's a black finish compared to the satin of the DD. That head weight is a big difference though and that milled face is way different. But both are in a good way.

My big fitting in May will determine what else gets the heave-how after my lessons and some more rounds still this year.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

1 hour ago, jdparker said:

I have been looking at the Mizuno or TM but have an older TM and it's on the lighter end. Some of the DTC don't carry lefties.  The PXG looks decent on the webs but want to get my hands on one. 

Agreed. I want to try the PXG's out before purchase and I have heard good things about Sub70 but have a hard time with clubs I can't see really before buying

Damien--Titleist & TaylorMade enthusiast. Bag is feeling betrayed with no TaylorMade items in it currently. Former College golfer.

image.png.d46e5ea58c55d6c5b02a89db1e501fe0.pngCallaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5 

image.png.1bd1e1ee5179defcf5675fc4508a582b.png  Byrdie Golf Designs OG Collection Irons 4-PW 

image.png CG14 60 degree

Pinemeadow EGI Chipper

11 minutes ago, d0m41n said:

Agreed. I want to try the PXG's out before purchase and I have heard good things about Sub70 but have a hard time with clubs I can't see really before buying

Sub70 has the demo program for I think $20 that would make it worth trying them out. 

For the last 10 years I have been in the golf club turnstyle.  I went from being a scratch or better golfer I climbed to nearly a 7 handicap.  I had three fittings and three sets of irons in 10 years, 3 putters and no improvements.   I spent about $10,000 on equipment.   I lost a bunch of weight and regained speed in my swing.  I had to switch back to stiff shafts.  I didn't know if I could keep the weight off so I just pulled my old clubs out of the basement.  My game was in free fall.  I had scores in the nineties three times in July 2023.  In August I switched back to my old bag of irons and putter.  I shot 68 the first round 71 the next and nothing over 76 since.  I loved golf again.  The irons looked terrible from over 10 years of wear and they were my second set.  My putter has scars all over it after 18 years of play.    I also had a back up putter but with an inch longer shaft.  

I took my irons and putter and sent them off to be refinished and customized.  I can't wait to get them back from the golf garage with new grooves and clean finish,  including some awesome patriotic customization.  Total cost 25% of any of the irons I bought and half what I paid for the putters I bought.  

I don't think anything in my bag is going to be up for change in quite a while!

Edited by Mackey

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I had the same putter in my bag for over 10 years. Just switched last year to a Del Mar.
That's probably the only putter I can see trading for. Been looking at them for years but have never been able to pull the trigger. I really do love this soft face though.

How do you like the metal face after all those years?

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

So far, my stupid ancient Don Martin Up-n-In chipper.  Unless someone makes an identical club with a softer metal alloy.  No worries about hitting a high or a low chip, etc. etc. etc.  Shaft improvements make almost all other clubs susceptible to newer stuff.  I might even put a new hi-tech putter shaft on the Don Martin.  But I'll keep using the head.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

49 minutes ago, barney_bogey said:

That's probably the only putter I can see trading for. Been looking at them for years but have never been able to pull the trigger. I really do love this soft face though.

How do you like the metal face after all those years?

B

My problem with the del mar was actually that it was to soft. It took me a few rounds to get used to it.  I believe the second and third rounds I played with it I actually purposely hit it off the toe so I could get some feel from it. 

Driver- cobra F9, 3w- Adam’s TL, 19 H TM GAPR mid, 22 H titleist 910, 5-PW TM rocketbladz tour, 50, 56, 60 Cleveland RTX 3, Scotty special select Del Mar. 

An oldie but a goodie. Absolutely got to be my Cobra KING F7 Hybrid (3-4 adjustable)! Love the rails, the head weighting and size, the look over the ball and how absolutely consistently I hit it. I have never had a lie that gives me ANY concern with that club and gives me complete control from anywhere. I researched like mad when I pulled the trigger, got a crazy good deal on it and now wish I had purchased another one simply as a backup in case anything ever happens to it. Well done, Cobra!

Driver /Fairway Woods: Taylormade

Hybrid: Cobra

Irons: Taylormade

Wedges: Vokey

Putter: Odyssey

16 hours ago, Fred Herman said:

My cleveland wedges 56 and 60. I also carry P, A , and G wedges matched to my Callaway Rogue Irons. 

What Cleveland wedges do you play? I actually found my first one on a random course I played one day. by the time I finished playing the clubhouse was close and I called the next day and they took my information to call if someone asked. They never did so I gained a new club lol. I loved the 56 CG14 so much, I got a 60 degree shortly after. Love it just as much

image.png CG14 60 degree

Pinemeadow EGI Chipper

It's only been in my bag a little over a year, but the Callaway APEX UW is quickly becoming a favorite.  It took the place of a Callaway Steelhead III, 4+ wood, that was in my bag forever -- loved that club.  I have an affinity for "tweener" clubs that give me a little more distance and a higher flight, steeper decent.

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

• 6 months later...

Right now I not changing anything but the one club I see be with me for many years would be my LAB DF 3 as its true Love at 1st roll IMG_1415.jpeg.f8505fce4d51ad6196328ccd8a5b68dc.jpeg

Driver:  :ping-small: G430 Max 10 w/OBAN KIYOSHI Purple Tour Reserve 45

3W: :callaway-small:  Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/GD AD CQ5

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60

all woods have CPX grips

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

All irons have WINN DRI-TAC LT grips

Puter: 😍 :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

Currently my bag is pretty set.  I would say my LAB DF2.1 is set for a long time. Everything else always has the possibility of being replaced but nothing on the forecast. 

Two clubs that aren't going anywhere are my Link.1 and G410 3 wood. I can probably add the Cobra AJ to that list as well, it's close. On the other end of the spectrum, my irons are the one thing that's certainly on the chopping block.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

My driver, 3w, 7w, and putter are locked in!

Given the right opportunity,  the rest are replaceable at this juncture. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I love my Aerojet Max fairway woods. Easiest I’ve ever owned to hit off the turf and the 3 wood is a 🚀 off the tee. Also really, really happy with my Scotty Super Select Newport 2. Don’t see that leaving the bag for quite some time. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

My Cobra SpeedZone 5 wood will have to be prised from my cold, dead hands. 

A total eBay guess purchase, I highly doubt it is spec'd for me, or anything close to it....yet somehow, it works, and I love it. Shaft is Aldila Rogue Silver 70s (110 MSI), playing the head at the standard loft. The headcover is falling to bits, but that's part of her character. 

I'm not blessed with distance so she sees a lot of action on par 4 approaches and par 5's too. She is pretty much my point and shoot, 180 yard club, launches with ease off anything, thanks to the rails. 

I think a few playing partners/opposition wish it would leave the bag, but she's staying put 🥰

Bag full of mostly PING, apart from Cleveland CBX wedges..I need all the help I can get!