Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Is it worth it?

MathieuMo

Hello MyGolfSpy.

I have been playing the wilson staff pi7's for the last three years and have been looking around at iron sets just to see what I can find. I have come across a set of Mizuno mp32s available for 180$. Now my question is should I buy them? I mean I hit my wilsons just fine and am playing at about a 7 handicap but I've always wanted to have a set of muscle back clubs. I'm just worried my score will take a big hit if I turn to these irons. Advice?

Thanks

WITB

Taylormade Light Stand Bag

Titleist 913 D3 8.5 X-Stiff Diamana Whiteboard D+72

Titleist 910 F 15 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik Black Tie 8M3

3 Iron Adams Super DHY 21 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik White Tie Altus HX3

4-PW Mizuno MP32s Project X 6.5 

50,54,58 Titleist Vokey Spin Milled + SM4 DG S300

Nike Method Putter

Don't be scared of playing blades. If you practice with them, and get used to hitting them they are not all that hard to hit. In the end a muscle back will make a much better ball striker. (not to mention they just look soooo nice)

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

Hello MyGolfSpy.

I have been playing the wilson staff pi7's for the last three years and have been looking around at iron sets just to see what I can find. I have come across a set of Mizuno mp32s available for 180$. Now my question is should I buy them? I mean I hit my wilsons just fine and am playing at about a 7 handicap but I've always wanted to have a set of muscle back clubs. I'm just worried my score will take a big hit if I turn to these irons. Advice?

Thanks

How will this really hurt you score? Only if it decreases your greens in regulation. You probably are only hitting 8 regularly anyway. You have four par 5's that you are hitting a long club to and are either on the green or close enough that you are not hitting a full iron to so that leaves 4. You have 4 par 3's that are either short or you are not hitting anyway, and you are probably only hitting the greens that are an 8 iron or less.

Here is what I discovered, I was only hitting greens that were less 130 yards with any regularity. Say an 9 iron or wedge. A 9 iron blade was not significantly harder to hit than a 9 iron cavity back. However, since these are the same basic design as a wedge, you have a 60, 56, 52, 48, 44, 40, and 36 degree wedge to use around the green that give you the same basic feel that you get from your current wedges. This will vastly improve your short game and that is where the strokes are anyway. You have hybrids for the long shots and a boat load of wedges.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I recently switched to blades and love it but they are not for everyone at the very least you can use them as a training aid, you know when you pure one and when you miss hit one a little. RR is right they can't really hurt your scores unless you start missing a lot more GIR in the round and have less opportunity for par or better.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Thanks for the advice everyone! Ended up pulling the trigger and bought them and actually almost shot my best round ever at my course. Very good investment and I believe I missed 6 GIRs as well, the 3 iron in the mp32 is the best i've ever hit a 3 iron.

WITB

Taylormade Light Stand Bag

Titleist 913 D3 8.5 X-Stiff Diamana Whiteboard D+72

Titleist 910 F 15 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik Black Tie 8M3

3 Iron Adams Super DHY 21 X-Stiff Matrix Ozik White Tie Altus HX3

4-PW Mizuno MP32s Project X 6.5 

50,54,58 Titleist Vokey Spin Milled + SM4 DG S300

Nike Method Putter

Thanks for the advice everyone! Ended up pulling the trigger and bought them and actually almost shot my best round ever at my course. Very good investment and I believe I missed 6 GIRs as well, the 3 iron in the mp32 is the best i've ever hit a 3 iron.

Blades keep you honest, you have to make a good swing and get good contact for them to play well, non of this crazy grip it and rip it mentality. At least that is my opinion from switching out of AP2 into the blades I play now.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Blades keep you honest, you have to make a good swing and get good contact for them to play well, non of this crazy grip it and rip it mentality. At least that is my opinion from switching out of AP2 into the blades I play now.

The grip it and rip it mentality bit me in the butt yesterday. After the horrible round on Saturday, I had a bogey free round going, with two birdies in to the 12th hole. I then missed the green, and had a delicate chip, but the hole was in a sort of bowl, so I thought I could try to make the chip and the hill behind it would let the ball roll back to the hole. I went too far and had a 5 foot downhiller for par, which I some how left short and had a bogey but was still under par.

The grip it and rip it mentality slipped in, and instead of focusing on making each shot the best I could, I started trying to birdie every hole to get my stroke back that I had lost. Four holes and four bogies later I realized I was in the process of throwing away a great round and went back to the make every shot playable for the next one, and parred the last two for a 75.

I love my blades, but you have to remember to make a good swing and make every shot playable for the next one. Three of the four bogies were on holes that I often birdie when I focus on fairways and greens. Birdies are almost impossible from the bottom of the lake and deep in the woods. But you can always sink a long putt with a good stroke and some luck.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived