Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

What do you do with your old clubs after you get new ones?

I've never sold any clubs so have a 2nd bag in my garage with my prior irons, woods and wedges. I definitely will keep my putters as tech doesn't change too much it's all feel and nice to have options every now and then. I do think it's time to sell my old clubs but unsure of best way to do so? I've brought in a couple drivers to the local shops and can get like $75 which doesn't seem great but nice to apply that credit to new equipment. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus, 9* turned 9.75*, Stiff, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g, Cut 1" Short

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 2 Hybrid 18* Aldila Tour 75g Stiff 

Driving Iron: Akira Mi118 Prototype Utility 2 Iron

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790, 4-GW Dynamic Gold, Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore MID 56* & 60*, Bent 2* upright

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: GM2 Exchange 2 Mallet, Center Shaft, Super Stroke 2.0

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: Blue Tees Golf Series 3 Max Rangefinder

Bag: :sunmountain: Boom 14-Way Cart Bag

You really don't get very much for used clubs, 
as far as I can see,
so if you have nobody to whom to give them,
I think collecting them is best.

I certainly have old favorites that find their way back into the bag now and again.
When something on which you just spent a small fortune lets you down,
you may want to give it a time out.

If I was replacing clubs every few years with brand new clubs, I'd likely sell them or trade them in.  The value at that point should be decent.  I generally play the same clubs for a long time, though, and stick to used clubs when I upgrade.  So, I lean toward handing them down to friends or family.  Any club I replace will be old enough that there's practically no chance I'd put it back in play.

With me I hold onto everything. I tend to play older equipment (as in antique) and most are players not collectibles. Back in February I had to clean out my storage across the road due to a highway project taking that building. I did do a bulk sale deal. I did donate some older CB sets to a Pro friend of mine who runs a kids program. A lot of that stuff had been in the building since we closed the golf shop in 08. I also picked up a lot of stuff when I drove a truck for a metal recycling company. I have over the years given stuff to other classic minded nuts like myself. To put it into perspective the newest set of irons I own is a set of 2014 TM TP CBs. In fact they are the one and only set of CBs and graphite shafts I own. I have a couple of putters I have owned since my pre High School days. I also own and play Hickory shafted clubs too. My iron sets date from 1940 to 1980. Most are Macgregor with the one set being Hogan Precisions. In my vintage play I rotate stuff along with persimmon woods and classic putters on a weekly basis

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

I still have my Hogan Apex Edge forged irons 2-SW that are still in excellent condition. I'm not getting rid of them for 2 reasons. First is I still like them and could go back to them in a heartbeat and secondly I wouldn't get hardly anything for them. Plus I'm not sure the new irons are more forgiving then my hogans. The new irons are just stronger lofted but I don't think my Wilson D9's are any more forgiving. 

Taylormade BRBR Mini Driver 11.5

Taylormade Stealth Plus 5 wood 

Callaway Paradym x 18* hybrid

Callaway Paradym x 21* hybrid

Taylormade RBZ 7 wood

Wilson D9 irons 4-GW

Callaway MacDaddy CB 54, 60 wedges

Cleveland Smartsole chipper

Heavy Putter Mallet

• 3 weeks later...

It’s completely understandable to feel a strong attachment to your old clubs, especially if they played a big role in rekindling your passion for golf. Many golfers face the same dilemma when upgrading their equipment. Here are some ideas you might consider:

1. Display Them: You could create a small shrine or display area in your office or den. It’s a great way to showcase the clubs that have been a significant part of your golfing journey.
  2. Sell Them: If you're looking to offset the cost of new clubs, selling the old set can be a smart move. You can use the proceeds towards your new set or other golf-related expenses.
  3. Donate: Donating your old clubs to a local junior golf program or a charitable organization is a fantastic way to give back to the golf community and help others enjoy the game.
  4. Repurpose: Some golfers repurpose their old clubs into unique items like home décor or garden tools. It’s a creative way to keep a piece of your golfing history.
  5. Keep Them: If they hold significant sentimental value, keeping them might be the best option. You could store them in a way that preserves their memory without taking up too much space.

It really comes down to what feels right for you. Balancing sentimental value with practical considerations is key. You’re definitely not alone in this, and it’s all about finding the solution that best fits your needs and preferences.

I’ve always been in the mindset to not keep old clubs accessible as my tinkering brain would automatically default to pulling them out of the garage after a bad round and switching multiple times throughout the year.

As I’m sure a lot of you are as well, I’m apart of GCT on Facebook and will usually sell/trade older clubs no longer in the bag.

Stephen Pate - “There is no such thing as natural touch. Touch is something you create by hitting millions of golf balls.” - Lee Trevino

I probably will never get rid of my Foremost 551 clubs. They are tied to a very personal and sentimental part of me.

Do I play them well?  Not really, they are HEAVY! I just can't bring myself to change the shafts out either to make them more playable. (For me)

As for my goodwill finds, I use them for tinkering. If I like the finished results,  i keep them around for awhile, use them at the range, or maybe play a round with them occasionally. 

Ive given a number of single clubs away to friends. Clean em up, put a new grip on them, etc. Again, learning curve tinkering. 

I still have about 9 single clubs between woods/hybrids/irons sitting in a thrift store bag, as well as a few obsolete putters.

The "but what ifs" sits in the back of my mind though when it comes to passing things on I don't really use (not just with clubs!)  I'm not a hoarder, just cautiously selective when it comes to parting ways with things.  🤪 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually give them to the club to be used the with beginners program.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 21Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Volkey 56 Degree  Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Titliest Pro V1

OGIO Woodie 15 Bag

MCI Zip X3 Electric Buggy

I have 2 adult sons who are not regular golfers but "their" clubs are in my garage, when I buy a new club/clubs they usually get the old clubs and then their older clubs are traded in. 

But what really happens is I have 3 sets of clubs in the garage that they occasional take a loan of!! 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Just one other thought, my garage gets called Alf's Golf Shop apart from clubs there are spare bags, 12 pairs of shoes, couple of golf trolleys, tool box for grips, boxes of hats, towels, head covers, outdoor golf clothes rack,.... I thought about mounting display cases on the wall that has a history of my putters and drivers. The only problem is I would have to go back and buy back clubs to fill the cases. I have photos of most of the clubs of the last 20 years. Thoughts?

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

When I get new golf clubs, I usually look for ways to repurpose or donate the old ones. One fun idea I’ve thought about is using the Random Country Generator to select a country and explore golf courses or clubs there. I could then reach out to local organizations or sports foundations in that country to donate my old clubs. It’s a unique way to give back to a place I wouldn’t have considered otherwise, and it adds an element of global connection to the process.

When I get new golf clubs, I usually look for ways to repurpose or donate the old ones. One fun idea I’ve thought about is using the Random Country Generator to select a country and explore golf courses or clubs there. I could then reach out to local organizations or sports foundations in that country to donate my old clubs. It’s a unique way to give back to a place I wouldn’t have considered otherwise, and it adds an element of global connection to the process.

Some years ago (20, maybe) I had a golf acquaintance who worked as a travel agent specializing in Jamaica. He used to collect old clubs and take them with him. I don't remember how they got distributed, but a set of ladies' Ping irons from my wife went there. A year or so later those same clubs came back to Cincinnati, when the girl who got them got a golf scholarship here at Xavier University. Of course, almost immediately she was fitted for a whole new bag, and I never learned what happened to the Pings afterwards.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese