TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Graphite Design Tour AD Shafts ×

TAYLORMADE FILES LAWSUIT AGAINST COSTCO OVER KIRKLAND SIGNATURE IRONS

15 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

So are they filing lawsuits against Sub70, Takomo, Caley, Haywood, Mizuno, Callaway, Cobra, and every other brand for the same thing? They all have hollow-body irons at this point.

PXG could file suit against Taylormade since their Gen1 hollow-body came out before the P790's did.

I thought PXG did sue TM when the OG P790's came out. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

35 minutes ago, JAYER38 said:

I believe once the suit is filed they have to stop sales until it is resolved but I'm sure that's somewhere in the fine print we wont get to see. I can only speak from my basic knowledge after staying at a holiday inn express haha

I'm sure TM already sent a cease and decist, but a judge will have to issue an injunction to enforce it. Law and Order taught me that.

Edited by taylorjonasher

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

17 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

I can’t say I’m surprised. The Kirkland irons appear to be a mirror image of the TaylorMade P-790s. TM spend $millions on research design and development and would not sit back and let this go. Look for a quick settlement as Costco do not like to see bad press. What were they thinking? 

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/taylormade-files-lawsuit-against-costco-over-kirkland-signature-irons/

Big news dropping today!

Click over to the full story to read more but here are the highlights:

• Yesterday, TaylorMade filed a lawsuit against Costco Wholesale and Southern California Design Company over willful patent infringement in regards to Costco’s new Kirkland Signature Players Irons.
  • Not surprisingly this is due to similarity with the P-790 irons.  I mean, who didn't see that coming right?
  • Sort of surprisingly SCDC (Southern California Design Company) is believed to be the manufacturer of the Kirkland irons appears to also be tied to brand Indi Golf.
  • Also noted in the claims is that the Costco irons do not actually contain any urethane inserts as advertised.

I'm sure we'll hear more as the story progresses.

What do you spies think?

Using Cure CX3 putter

So, if Costco copies the p790, but the ksigs don't have a urethane insert, does that mean Taylormade is admitting the p790s don't have one either? I realize they can be similar in other ways, but it would be an interesting world for this to be the way Taylormade blew itself up. 

WITB

Driver: PXG Gen 6 XF; Mitsubishi Diamana 

Woods/Hybrids: Sub 70 3 wood; Taylor Made Rocket Ballz Tour 3 hybrid; Sub 70 4 hybrid

Irons: 4-P Wilson Staff CB; 5-P PXG 0317 ST

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Full Toe 58*; Titleist Vokey SM9 50* and 54*

Putter: Cobra King Agera; Toulon Austin; Mizuno M-Craft 1

Ball: Snell MTB-X

56 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

I thought PXG did sue TM when the OG P790's came out. 

It's very possible. That was a long time ago and one would have to research it. I'm sure this happens all the time, but this one just happened to get the headlines many others don't.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter: Maltby Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

1 hour ago, JAYER38 said:

I believe once the suit is filed they have to stop sales until it is resolved but I'm sure that's somewhere in the fine print we wont get to see. I can only speak from my basic knowledge after staying at a holiday inn express haha

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

15 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

Golf certainly has a history of “borrowing” design features. Ping “Ansers” appear in the portfolios of nearly every manufacturer as well as boutique putter makers. Not sure how this is any different. But maybe a legal expert can comment.

I'm with you. Almost everyone also has a putter with striking similarities in appearance to the Spider line. Why have there been no lawsuits?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Test Currently In ProgressFit For Golf 2.0

When I first read the thread title, I got really excited and thought... "yes, finally one of the OEM's filed suit against the USGA and R&A"... so disappointed 😑

The current world market of stolen IP, copyrights, and knock-off's, is in full bloom.  My wife simply stopped trying to protect her photography (for the most part) - realizing it was a loss cause.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out and whether TM can convince the courts the Signature's are a copy.  Lot's of clubs look like lot's of other clubs... just saying.

The only thing for sure is that the billable hours will eventually be covered by we consumers.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Regarding the Anser design, the fantasy in my head was that that design was never arduously protected in the beginning and so became an easy target for copying.

I’m pretty naive about these things, but when I bought my KS1 putter I just assumed that an OEM was behind it, and like Royal Crown cola with generic grocery brands, they were just doubling their shelf space. I would have thought that is how Kirkland Signature works with all their branded products.

I mean, would it not have been a coup for someone like TaylorMade to be behind KSig’s irons, selling both to the “high-end” golfer and to the masses as well? 

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

2024 Fit For Golf Training App Review

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

I'm with you. Almost everyone also has a putter with striking similarities in appearance to the Spider line. Why have there been no lawsuits?

I’m going to guess there are no law suits because the major brands all go to Vegas and party together so it’s a tight knit little club. 

When an outsider Comes in and allegedly steals your stuff and starts taking that sweet  cash out of your pocket that’s when you get sued. 

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

I will just keep playing my old faithful.s-l960.jpg.6ee3c4c9b4b768854be002e1492032e3.jpg

s-l960.jpg.cd8ea42681f6cf9c17744e4873604310.jpg

s-l1600.png.e8610d6eab43fd9a2db1e383d9b2b871.png

Edited by GaDawg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I think it’s the most sincere form of flattery and I’m not sure why TM feels so threatened.  Granted the P790 has been a massive win, but I don’t see them losing significant share to Costco.  It reminds me of when  Japanese guitar makers were sued in the “lawsuit era” for making their guitars too much like “Fender Stratocaster” or “Gibson Les Paul”.  Costco will. Capitulate or “redesign” to get away from TM’s design.  TItleist while having won against their ball may bide their time on the Costco driver to see how the courts work with TM’s case.   

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls.