Maxfli TOUR X Golf Balls with Max Align Technology - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts here!

@vandyland - Main Post 

@EnderinAZ - Main Post 

@brogies - Main Post 

@knotthead17 - Main Post 

@scotter032Main Post

So sorry the hear about the trouble! Hope everyone is doing okay!

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

1 hour ago, scotter032 said:

I'm sorry I had a tornado hit my house so I've been a little preoccupied trying to deal with roofers, cage builders, paver repairmen, and the insurance company the past week and a half. I will get this completed this weekend for you! My apologies.....

Hope you and family are safe!  

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

12 minutes ago, scotter032 said:

Everyone made it out safe. House not so much but, we are on the road to recovery. Most definitely could've been worse and thank God for protecting everyone.

Got hit by one in Texas years ago.  Scary while happening but the recovery can be incredibly stressful, especially for young ones.  Glad everyone is okay and hope the clean up/rebuild goes well.

3 hours ago, scotter032 said:

I'm sorry I had a tornado hit my house so I've been a little preoccupied trying to deal with roofers, cage builders, paver repairmen, and the insurance company the past week and a half. I will get this completed this weekend for you! My apologies.....

Prayers for all of you!!!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

After being probably 15 rounds in with these balls, I have determined that all my scuffs come from the cartpath. I had a round where I had to cycle 2 balls that hit cartpaths. In the previous 3 rounds I played the same ball for 54 holes straight without any marks. So, for me, wedges don't damage it but rather an asphalt cartpath. So, from that standpoint, I am pleased with the durability and continue to enjoy my rounds with these. Lining up tee shots along with putts is second nature now. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

Also, it appears Ben Griffin (PGA Tour) is now going to be using the Maxfli Tour X. So there is one thing we have in common. 

https://golf.com/gear/golf-balls/ben-griffin-maxfli-golf-ball-deal-tour/

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to my report I have been actively trying to use the Max Align Technology, and it is working very well. I still feel like I am aiming 4 inches to the left of my target when I line up over it, but the results speak for themselves. It works!

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the update.  I would use an alignment aid but I have trouble bending down, and a single line means I have to make minute adjustments that my old nervous system just can't do.  Shakey hands, you know.  So I just put the ball down white side up, and aim at a point a few inches in front of the ball.  Not a great putter, but a pretty good two putter.

Edited by GolferXY

-XY

MGI electric cart

Yeah I'm pretty sold on the alignment aid too. I don't use a line 100% of the time out of pure laziness but when I do, I think it's pretty definitive at this point--Max Align is my favorite out everything out there. I also find myself getting excited to see how I roll the ball with it. 

Untitled design-3.png

Anyone else had balls where the chevron aren't aligned with each other?

I have had a bunch of balls where they aren't aligned properly, which seems like the complete opposite of what the marking are supposed to achieve. I love the Tour X, but I'll be ditching the max align from now on and just marking balls myself. 

There are now heroes, only warriors.

4 minutes ago, SeedyKiwi said:

I have had a bunch of balls where they aren't aligned properly, which seems like the complete opposite of what the marking are supposed to achieve. I love the Tour X, but I'll be ditching the max align from now on and just marking balls myself. 

Can you post a picture?  I'm not clear on what that would look like.  Sounds weird, though.

-XY

MGI electric cart

5 minutes ago, SeedyKiwi said:

No problems with the 2 dozen I got.  I'm sure DSG/Maxfli will want to know so they check batch numbers, etc.

This is the best way I can think of to illustrate it. It's a brand new ball never been hit. Pictures of just the ball don't really show what I'm talking about but it's there and standing over it to putt my brain just knows something is wrong. 

20240523_194515.jpg

20240523_194544.jpg

20240523_194557.jpg

20240523_194616.jpg

13 hours ago, SeedyKiwi said:

This is the best way I can think of to illustrate it. It's a brand new ball never been hit. Pictures of just the ball don't really show what I'm talking about but it's there and standing over it to putt my brain just knows something is wrong. 

For what it is worth, my line looks different when I am addressing a putt vs. being 2 feet behind it vs. 5 feet behind it. I think standing over the putt is parallax effect but I am not sure about the 2 ft vs 5 ft from behind the ball. In order to truly TRUST my line, I line it up from directly behind it, back up about 4-5 feet and then correct it. Possible you got a bad batch but also there is probably something about trying to put a flat, straight line on a globe shaped object?

I went through 31 balls straight out of the box and had 18 with issues of varying degrees.

I just had a long interaction with Dicks Sporting goods online chat. They offered  a dozen balls, then $12, then a dozen balls and $12, and then nothing at all. I can however go to my local Dicks so they can check them out (it's 200 miles away) or I can return them.

I will be returning what I have with a bad taste in my mouth.

Found a couple of balls going through them so bad even the wife could tell they were out of whack just holding it up.

Again love the balls but the max align is a hard no for me.

20240524_112533.jpg

Do any of you use the alignment when teeing off? I've found I use it to "aim" the ball at my intended target while it's on the tee. Helps with my setup alignment when I address the ball. I also figure if the ball is CG balanced, might as well put the ball on the tee that way too.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

3 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Do any of you use the alignment when teeing off?

I do.  Find it most helpful on Par 3s.

6 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Do any of you use the alignment when teeing off? I've found I use it to "aim" the ball at my intended target while it's on the tee. Helps with my setup alignment when I address the ball. I also figure if the ball is CG balanced, might as well put the ball on the tee that way too.

... I feel the same but don't like alignment lines, so I line it up with the line but then rotate it forward so the line isn't visible. I also yellow out the line so it is less obtrusive when playing it and do the same with any ball I play.

YellowMaxfli.jpg.f95e73e441b6bde244f61655ed59a75e.jpg

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

7 hours ago, SeedyKiwi said:

I went through 31 balls straight out of the box and had 18 with issues of varying degrees.

I just had a long interaction with Dicks Sporting goods online chat. They offered  a dozen balls, then $12, then a dozen balls and $12, and then nothing at all. I can however go to my local Dicks so they can check them out (it's 200 miles away) or I can return them.

Found a couple of balls going through them so bad even the wife could tell they were out of whack just holding it up.

20240524_112533.jpg

That is just horrible!  Once again, lack of product quality assurance.  IMHO, that basically undermines the whole idea of the ball/alignment aid.

-XY

MGI electric cart

On 5/24/2024 at 1:27 PM, SeedyKiwi said:

20240524_112533.jpg

Maybe a mass producing quality problem, sorry you got to go through all the troubles with Dicks sporting goods

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

On 5/23/2024 at 7:04 PM, SeedyKiwi said:

I can see what you are talking about in a few of your pictures. That does look like a bad batch. I never noticed anything like that on any of the ones I was testing, I have a few more still, I'll open up and check out

Untitled design-3.png

Posted (edited)

I just ran a few number on my putting with these balls and found them interesting for myself and thought I would share. 

In my last 108 holes played with the max align balls using the balls alignment markings I averaged 1.935 putts per hole.

Since remarking the balls from the same batch with my own alignment markings running accross the cg I have averaged 1.65 putts per hole in 79 holes with 54 of those being in a tournament. 

I know it's a pretty small sample but for me it just reinforces that max align isn't for me.

Edited by SeedyKiwi
Typos

• 1 month later...

As another follow up on this post, I bought a pack of Maxfli Tour X yesterday at Dick's. They are still my ball of choice. I played a couple proV1x that I had left over in a sleeve and hit a cartpath with one and saw the exact same scuffing issues as the Maxfli Tour X has with cartpaths. So that was my only real concern I had. All the numbers and feel is great. Maxfli guy now...STILL!

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2024 at 1:59 PM, Shrek74 said:

I play around with it and I do use it sometimes. Specifically when I'm having difficulties, it it helps see more insight into my alignment/path/face. I don't use it everytime out of laziness but it would probably help if I did haha 

Untitled design-3.png

Thanks for the great testing everyone.  I read through this when I saw the post on the Maxfli ball sale as I tend to lose a sleeve per round on the heavily wooded New England courses I play (what can I say I learned a long time ago that even a pro-v1 isn't worse a case of poison ivy) as I tend to not want to waste to much time looking for a lost ball.  So with the sale and a recent 10-dollar reward from dicks I got the 4 dozen pack for just over 100 bucks so at $2.10 a ball I had to give them a try, especially with the great reviews.  I decided to go for the ball speed and try a higher compression ball and commit to seeing if I can make them work (I used to like the vs Kirklands as they were high compression but did not feel like a rock to me but the v3 just lost that feeling for me but based on some of the comments in the reviews I see similar potential with the tour x 's I just bought based on some of the reviewer comments.  Thanks again for all the nice work on the reviews they helped me make the decision to pull the trigger and give these a try.  

Patrick Dawes