Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

What is your golf pet peeve?

TSauer

When your group is playing on pace and the A holes behind you hit as soon as your foot leaves the green or rolls shots next or by you in the fairway. 
Last time someone did that their ball flew OB and when they came up fuming the usual “that was the best shot of my life” and no apology. Too bad, wait.

Callaway Mavrick Driver, Callaway Rouge Max 3,5 wood, Cobra 3-4 hybrid, Nike Vrs Forged irons 5-A, Cleveland Zipcore 56,60, Odyssey Marksman

My only real constant pet peeves are slow play and simple lack of awareness that there are others out on the golf course...I don't care if you are scratch or a 30 hdcp, if you are playing so slow you are affecting others in your group or behind your group, make an adjustment.

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Tour 65 Stiff Shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

image.png

27 minutes ago, Drive2Survive said:
  • Person riding with you escapes at the end of the round leaving you to return the cart so that he does not tip the cart boys. 
  • Folks I have never met before who think I care about how good they usually play but today is an exceptionally bad day.
  • Negative vibes on the course. C’mon dude, you’re outside and away from the everyday grind, relax!
  • people not picking up food wrappers, empty bottles, etc. 
  • when sharing a cart, the other person is messy and/or taking the whole storage in the back

Absolutely 👌

Bag full of mostly PING, apart from Cleveland CBX wedges..I need all the help I can get! 

A few pet peeves that have mostly to do with speed of play. They are:

1. Golfers watch cart mate hit and not walk a few steps to hit their ball. Also measure distance and then spend much time deciding which club.

2. At tee people not ready to hit drive, take too much time to get prepared.

3. Group in front of you spend much time talking and not playing.

STEVEN M TERK

Pet peeve #1. Divot in the fairway rule.

#2. Unsolicited advice.

Golf is not a one size fits all experience. That's a major part of its appeal. Golf is a Rorschach test and you're only able to see what you are capable of seeing. If the tech player lens works for you, great. Same if you're a feel player. You do you and I'll do me.  If I want your opinion I'll ask for it. ⛳

18 hours ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

Along this vein, watching a slow-playing foursome in front of you all search for a lost ball. The absolute worst.

And this leads to my pet peeve: The continued use of how long it takes to play a round of golf as an enjoyment factor. The real factor is how often I have to wait on the group in front of me.

The standard nowadays seems to be about 4:15 to finish a round of golf. This time can be perfectly fine if the round flows. However, if I'm standing around on every tee box waiting to hit, a 3:45 can be brutal.

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

Ill informed Rangers. Us foursome, nothing but foursomes in front twosomes behind. Waited on first 7 tees, teeing off on par 5 9th a shot out of sequence, told to speed up, then had to wait on 10. 

Hitting into people. On 16, hit into woods, came out with my ball, plunk 15 yard from me group behind tee shot.

Not filling divots, repairing ball marks.

Ed Bailey-Mershon

1. Not fixing divots

2. Not repairing ball marks

3. Not raking bunkers

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

12 hours ago, Marty2shanks said:

Your playing partner saying “gotta hit it” when you leave a putt short…

That's when I reply "That's what your wife told me last night"

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1.  Players recording their score while still in their cart and still sitting by the green.  Move to the next tee and do your scorekeeping while others hit!

2. when all 4 players look for a stray ball, find it, and the other 3 then go to their ball to play their shots.  Go hit your ball first if feasible and then go help find the stray ball if it’s still not found!

3. Playing with a group and playing partners that don’t offer to take the pin out after they putt out with the pin in.  After a few holes, you would think they would learn the players that want it out.  Conversely, when a player likes it in, be prepared to put it back for him!

4. playing partners that continue to have a conversation while you are hitting.  When your about to swing, they reduce to a whisper but continue talking which is actually even more distracting!

Fairways & Greens!

19 hours ago, TSauer said:

Whether it be with mannerisms or course layout or something else that just drives you nuts... What is it?

I'll start, mine is when people aren't ready to hit when it's their turn. I used to golf with one of my father-in-law's friends and every time it was his turn to hit, he would still be in the cart carrying on conversation, finishing a smoke, and just oblivious to everything else going on. Needless to say, I don't golf with him anymore.

Agree, ready golf is the biggest for me unless you are directly in front of another player of course.

• Driver - Callaway Paradym X 10.5 - Project X HZRDS Gen 4 50
  • 3 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 16.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • 5 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 18.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Wedges - Srixon ZX7 51-8 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite; Titleist Vokey 56-12 & 60-08 - Project X 6.0
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
  • Golf Ball - 2023 Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

24 minutes ago, Cosmic Duffer said:

Pet peeve #1. Divot in the fairway rule.

#2. Unsolicited advice.

Golf is not a one size fits all experience. That's a major part of its appeal. Golf is a Rorschach test and you're only able to see what you are capable of seeing. If the tech player lens works for you, great. Same if you're a feel player. You do you and I'll do me.  If I want your opinion I'll ask for it. ⛳

I always ask if player wants advice. Playing munis encounter players of all levels. I have a wealth of knowledge, honestly acquired, of what not to do. Nothing more enjoyable than helping that father & son with a tip. 

Ed Bailey-Mershon

It’s a pet peeve and we all do it even myself. Waiting for a green to clear on a par 5 or short par 4. It backs up every golf course because we all know we have hit that shot. But can we when it matters. Usually not. Oh any play the correct set of tees. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I gotta say i've got several, but i've found you can boil all of them down into one big generalization:  etiquette.  If golfers had etiquette, they'd let faster players through.  Or they'd recognize how slow they are in holding up their entire group.  Having etiquette means you wouldn't be talking, shuffling about, or generally making noise while someone is hitting.  Just generally thinking about others when you take any action whatsoever. 

The ones i've listed here used to always be my biggest pet peeves, but a new one has taken hold over the past few years that i never would have thought possible 10-12 years ago - music on the course.  I totally understand WHY some folks like to listen to their favorite tunes while golfing; it's certainly something that people do in a lot of activities (while you're working in a factory, or at your desk if you've got an office job, etc.).  But you just can't play music on the course without the sound traveling outside of your little space (unless you're wearing earbuds).   This goes right back to etiquette, because if the guys playing the music were at all concerned about the guys that didn't want it, they'd never turn it on.  Not everyone likes the same thing, and a large portion of regular golfers just don't want to hear anything of the sort while they're playing.  Sure, there's the little "disclaimer" of "asking your playing partners if it's OK" on the first tee - but they always operate under the assumption that everyone is cool with it.  Because 99% of the time, the other guys in the group will say it's OK so as not to appear to be jerks even if they don't want it.  If you don't think this is true, and you're the guy that asks the group if it's OK to play music, ask yourself how many times anyone else has said no.   And ask yourself IF they said no, how did that make you feel about them --- perhaps they were jerks, don't want to play with them anymore, maybe something else?  It'll put a chill on the teebox, that's for sure. 

I'm not getting into a flaming war here, it's just a forum topic asking for folks' opinions and that's all i'm doing here 🙂

Mine is simple.  I hate golfers who play music while on the course.  If you want to hear music, use ear-buds.

Love to golf.  In a group of guys who golf year-round, as long as there's no snow.  Temps don't normally matter to us.

My golf pet peeve is SLOW PLAY and anything that leads to it.  I am a walker, but I'm also a 6-10 handicap (depending on the season) and can walk 18 holes in 3 hours when nobody is in front of me.  At the age of 50, it isn't the walking that hurts, but the standing around and waiting for idiots, while my body gets stiff.  Key behaviors that lead to slow play are...

1: players in carts taking the cart to each ball 10 yards apart instead of parking near one or halfway between and getting one shot ready while the other hits. 

2: players in carts parking in front of the green.  Please park behind the green so the rest of us don't  have to wait for you to walk all the way to the cart toward us and then to drive away before we hit.

3:  players in carts (seeing a pattern?) holding up play while they try to flirt with the cart girl. She should get hazard pay just for grinning at your stupid jokes and not-so-suave pick up lines. (Walkers, in my experience, generally bring big insulated cups of water we tend to refill along the way.) 

4:  really slow putting routines.  Leave the flagstick in the hole, plan your putt and pick a line while the other players putt, and don't plumb-bob or spider-man it... you aren't on the tour and will probably end up finally picking up the ball after your four other putts anyway!

5: Not playing ready golf at every opportunity!

Edited by archship

Driver, 5W, 4H, 5H, 6I - 9I, PW, AW:  Callaway Rogue ST Max

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Satin Low, 54* Black High, 50* Raw Mid

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot OG 7S 

Balls:  Pro-V1 from March - October

Supersoft from November - February

Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart circa 2004

19 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Slow play is obvious so i will play ready comment and hit my next one!

I hate course abuse.  Whether it is divots or ball marks there is no excuse for not fixing them other than being lazy.  

And in the lazy category another thing that i hate to see is carts being taken up close to the green.  The back 9 at the course doesnt have many cart parhs and people drive carts onto the mounds within 10' of the greens.

Yes, this!  I work maintenance at a local muni, and the abuse of the course is beyond belief.  Unrepaired pitch marks and divots, unraked bunkers, empty beer cans all over the place and yes, carts right up to the collars. 

And this is only the damage from neglect.  The intentional abuse really ticks me off.  Large, wedge-sized divots gouged out of greens, broken flagsticks, dozens of holes poked into the greens with the flagstick... People are idiots.

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

I actually have 2 big pet peeves, first is players not fixing their pitch marks on the green and 2 is not replacing their divots in the fairway

Maltby KE4 tour TC 11 degree driver

Maltby KE 4 21 and 23 degree rescue hybrids

Ping I 525 forged irons 5 thru pw black dot

Ping glide 4.0 47 degree gap wedge

Ping glide 3.0 eye 2 54 and 58 degree wedges / all irons /wedges have tensei AV series senior flex graphite

LAB golf MEZZ 1 custom broomstick putter with Accra grapite shaft lie angle 79.5 length 46 inches

Okay, so I am still relatively new to golf, and I'm certainly not a wonk when it comes to all the rules and etiquette. However, this happened to me a couple of weeks ago:

I took a Friday off of work to recharge my mental batteries, de-stress a little and play golf (I know, sounds improbable). I slid into the fourth slot of a random tee time (i.e. I didn't know the other three players). When I got to the course, and my tee time came up, the other three players never showed up, so I went out as a single.

Obviously, I played faster than the group in front of me (a foursome), and was quickly (but not intentionally) waiting for them on every hole to play. They were not the fastest players, they were very deliberate in their swing routines. Plus, one woman in the group would bring a Sunday bag to the green every time. It had a couple of wedges and her putter in it. She would walk to where her ball was (usually just off the green), plunk down her Sunday bag, hit a chip/pitch, THEN TAKE HER PUTTER (ONLY!!!) to where her ball ended up, hit her putt(s), then walk back to the Sunday bag, then back to the cart.

Well, on the 3rd hole (a par 3), she drives back to me (where I'm standing on the tee box) and asks if I would like to play through. I said "sure", and proceeded to tee up my ball and hit, expecting that they would wait at the tee box of the 4th hole for me to catch up and play through.

However, after hitting my tee shot, as I am driving up to the green, I look over, and they are teeing off! I think the expected me to skip the 3rd hole and immediately go tee off at the 4th.  This may be where my knowledge of golf etiquette breaks down, but doesn't "play through" mean "PLAY" through, not skip through? If you offer to let someone play through, then let them do so...

Driver:                      Callaway_SM.png.2dbd21e0ea11e718241b305262731058.png  Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 9.0° with Fujikura Ventus Blue 5 (S)

Hybrids:                   Ping_Logo_sm.jpg.bab5d82feeb6c1d1d269eaaef76a487a.jpg G430 3H/4H/5H w/ Ping Alta CB Shaft (S)

Irons:                      Mizuno_SM.png.79ebc3bf5a5ec19aa06f2821a4124811.png  JPX 923 Hot Metal HL - 6i - GW w/Fujikura Pro 95 (S) 

Wedges:                 TaylorMade_SM.png.224090fcebf3f2ce844f24e21b7ce40c.png  Hi-Toe 3 - 54° and 58°

Putter:                    Odyssey_SM.png.4e85ba988090a20cc755973ae2f75c8e.png  Ai-ONE Seven S Putter w/  FlatCat_SM.png.5c2b89b42629f36382f02c3455ef1102.png Fat grip

Ball:                         OnCore_SM.png.17951bcd1a597a2911ba64f199fd4f90.png  Vero X1

Rangefinder:          Nikon.png.a63f6ac8870a8c288ccc9f61454788f4.png  COOLSHOT PROII STABILIZED

Bag:                        Ogio_SM.png.0c28c8267d041ff62082aef4c42bb18a.png  Woode 8 Hybrid bag

I can deal with a lot of etiquette issues - but not cigarette butts. If you choose to smoke -that's your choice, BUT please don't throw your butts on the tee box or green OR anywhere else on the course.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

"Players" playing from the tips that can't even clear the forward tees. I understand the occasional Opps. But every hole. They have no concept of how far they actually can hit it. Then when they get to the green they act like a pro and measure each putt from all angles. While missing all the obvious ball marks that they made getting there.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet