How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

9 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Much better then the recent past.

Walked 18 with a friend; a touch on the warm and humid side but there was a breeze so not uncomfortable.

Was actually ::gasp!:: generally hitting the ball to where I'd intended! And putting (after the first hole) was on point - dropped a few 15+ breakers!

No penalties off the tee (another ::gasp!:: 😄) but did 3 putt twice and did 2 chip 2 or 3 times... 🤦‍♂️

Wish I'd kept score - although maybe that contributed to me being more relaxed?? - as i may have made a par on one of two holes I still need to complete to make all 18 for the season... 🤷‍♂️

So feeling better about my developing (slowly, oh so very very sloooowly) ability to play this crazy game ... ... Work In Progress!!

Playing a fun relaxing round is sometimes the way to go.  

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Shot an 80 today. 39/41 3 over on the front and 4 over on the back. 

I had 12 birdie putts today and made exactly 1. I had one other one hit the stick and bounce out. The other 10 were just poorly read greens. 

So for a while, I will head down to the practice green after dinner and putt for a half hour or so. 

Something has to change!

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

Better day today.  I, as always, was messing with my grip again today.  On the front I used an interlocking grip.....this did not go well.  I was kinda all over the pace shooting a 41.  Had four bad holes...1 double, 3 bogeys.  Only two GIRs and 4 FWs.  

On the back I decided to go back to 10 fingers.  7 FWs, 5 more GIRs, and got up and down for par/birdie 3 times.  So 37 on the back..  Hit it to 10 ft on par 3 17th....missed the birdie.  Hit it to 1ft on the 11th, made that birdie!  

I suppose I have my answer.  Hitting with my 10-finger grip sure looks bad, but the results are usually consistent.  My hook/draw is very repeatable, and I guess that is what is important.

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker

6 hours ago, Medfloat said:

Augusta?!?!  That is fantastic!  In that case, line up the inversion table, chiropractor, weekly massages, aroma therapy, and whatever else you can to keep that back in tip-top shape!

We don't get to play Augusta national but the course's near there are nice. 

Frank musolino 

2 hours ago, alii1959 said:

Better day today.  I, as always, was messing with my grip again today.  On the front I used an interlocking grip.....this did not go well.  I was kinda all over the pace shooting a 41.  Had four bad holes...1 double, 3 bogeys.  Only two GIRs and 4 FWs.  

On the back I decided to go back to 10 fingers.  7 FWs, 5 more GIRs, and got up and down for par/birdie 3 times.  So 37 on the back..  Hit it to 10 ft on par 3 17th....missed the birdie.  Hit it to 1ft on the 11th, made that birdie!  

I suppose I have my answer.  Hitting with my 10-finger grip sure looks bad, but the results are usually consistent.  My hook/draw is very repeatable, and I guess that is what is important.

I've played around with the baseball grip quite a bit.  Now that I'm in jumbo grips I have to either re align myself or go.bacl.to then interlocking grip because the jumbos have calmed my hand/wrist twist tendencies .

Congratulations on the better round!

And wtg @revkev !!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

32 minutes ago, revkev said:

I tried to make some changes where they would let me work the ball either way - all that produced was an occasional wow shot and a lot of push fades or straight blocks after a time of pulls.

So about three weeks ago I said, the heck with this I’m going back to the girl I came to the dance with and started to try and draw everything.  

Everything I read about course management says play a single ball flight especially with the driver.   Stock shot can get you to scratch!    

great rounds!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, Overspark07 said:

Got to get out for a round with a friend with a single digit handicap. As someone who’s never broke 90, I’ve been pretty reluctant to play with people “that good” for fear of making it unenjoyable. What I realized today is that there’s a lot of small things that he does better. Chips, pitches and putts! Learned a lot today

It’s actually one of the best ways to get better. I use to play with a 2 hcp and you gain a ton of insights into game management - tee strategies, creative club usage, and a number of other things you might not think to do when playing solo or with others that are at the same stage as yourself.

WITB
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*
3w - Ping G400 14.5*
5w - Ping G400 17.5* (adj. to 18.1*)
2i - Wilson Staff Utility 18*
4i - Wilson Staff Utility 24*
5i-PW - Wilson Staff Blades (2019)
50* - Wilson Staff ZM (8* bounce)
56* - Wilson Staff HT (10* bounce)
P - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Played 9 holes yesterday with my sons, a friend and his daughter. Beautiful weather, so nice to spend some tile together. Started pretty well with a birdie but then it felt like a return to reality... Only boggeys and in the middle a quadruple and a double 😅 very frustrating after having played +4 just a couple of weeks ago. Just a return to reality 😂 hope to do better next time! 

Played Tuesday and it was one of those “at least I was able to play” days and at my age that’s important. New course for me but told the other guys I would play and when I checked out the course online realized it was way too long for me. Was sort of dreading playing on the way over and was pretty much a disaster since there were very few greens I could reach. Usually enjoy even the bad rounds but not this time so will not go there again even though it might have been the best course I have ever played. Have decided that not having a chance might be worse than playing bad. Lesson learned, will not attempt that distance again,  was playing the tee closest to the ladies tee. Try to play the appropriate tee for my lack of distance off the tee. 

Driver -  Callaway GBB Epic

Fairway - Cobra Baffler 5W

Hybrid - TaylorMade Rescue mid 2,4,5h

Irons - Cobra Baffler XL 7-P

GW - Cobra Baffler XL

SW - King Cobra os

Putter - Evnroll ER2

Played The Golf Club at Wescott Plantation yesterday as a guest with PGA Hope (fantastic program for military veterans, if you are a vet check it out). How bad did I play? Had one birdie, four pars and still shot 106! Other than those 5 holes my score card looked more like the national debt. Trying to fix my slice now has me hitting draws and outright hooks so I spent a lot of time looking for my drives in the trees (not uncommon for me, just that I'm usually searching the woods on the right side of the fairway).  Lots of doubles, triples and higher on the score card. Lots of lost balls, a couple of duffed and skulled wedges.  This round had a little bit of everything including several one putt greens and only two 3 putts (putting and a few good drives when the stars and planets aligned and I actually HIT IT STRAIGHT were the highlights).  So, for now, my golfing future looks like a couple of range sessions with the driver to try to hone in my swing, grip and alignment to find the fairway before I head back out for a round next time.  

PXG Gen6 0311 driver 9 degree with Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g stiff shaft

Tour Edge Exotics C722 2 hybrid (17 degree)

Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 3 hybrid (20 degree)

Callaway Mavrik 5 hybrid (23 degree)

PXG 0311XP Gen3 irons 6-PW

Wedges: Edel 48 degree;  Cleveland RTX Fullface 52 degree; Cleveland Smartsole 58 degree

Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 putter

My game has improved due to equipment changes. First I purchased the Ai Smoke driver, I'm hitting more fairways. I switched balls to Chrome Tour X and gained more distance. I bought a Spider and I'm sinking more putts especially within the 10' range and my average proximity to the hole has really improved. I bought Vokey SM9 wedges on sale and I'm getting up and down more often. I took out a hybrid and a 3 wood and added the 3 and 4 U505 driving irons, the shot dispersion is much tighter. This week I bought the new Ai 300's, I've only played 2 rounds thus far and I've been to the range once. They look awesome, play well, feel great and my touch around the greens  now, with chipping and bump and runs is on the money. These Apex Ai 300's are workable as well, they absolutely blow the T-200's away. Not kidding! See my photo attached, Poppa's got a brand new bag!

F5420532-69E9-44BF-8AEC-9AE7DD644184.jpeg

Driver Ai Smoke Max 9* set at 8*

3 FW Ai Smoke

HW Ai Smoke

Hybrid G430

Irons Callaway Apex 21 Forged CB

Putter Ping Answer 2 PLD

Wedges Titleist Vokey SM9 56M and 60S

Ball, Vice Pro-Plus 

Handicap 6 

I played last Sunday and scored a 91, even with a blowup hole eight on a par four.  My game is getting better because I’ve been watching golf improvement videos and I stopped drinking during the golf round. I know what you’re thinking, “how in the hell can he play golf without a beer?” Well, I played better without it. Honestly, I don’t miss it. I don’t miss the feeling of being unstable during the game, getting a little rowdy, and feeling miserable after I get home. So, yeah… it’s getting better.

I played last week to see if I was playing well enough for a senior tournament at the local course. Played well and dropped $100 to embarrass myself this week! How many bunkers can you hit in one round??

Callaway Mavrick Driver, Callaway Rouge Max 3,5 wood, Cobra 3-4 hybrid, Nike Vrs Forged irons 5-A, Cleveland Zipcore 56,60, Odyssey Marksman

1 hour ago, GG194 said:

I checked out the course online realized it was way too long for me.

was playing the tee closest to the ladies tee. Try to play the appropriate tee for my lack of distance off the tee. 

Sounds like you realized before you even started that you should have been playing up another set of tees.   Why didn’t you play the front tees instead of one tee back?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, GG194 said:

Played Tuesday and it was one of those “at least I was able to play” days and at my age that’s important. New course for me but told the other guys I would play and when I checked out the course online realized it was way too long for me. Was sort of dreading playing on the way over and was pretty much a disaster since there were very few greens I could reach. Usually enjoy even the bad rounds but not this time so will not go there again even though it might have been the best course I have ever played. Have decided that not having a chance might be worse than playing bad. Lesson learned, will not attempt that distance again,  was playing the tee closest to the ladies tee. Try to play the appropriate tee for my lack of distance off the tee. 

Sorry to hear it was a disaster. Must have been a long course. At least you were playing and hopefully enjoyed the company.

Edited by Erin B

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Sounds like you realized before you even started that you should have been playing up another set of tees.   Why didn’t you play the front tees instead of one tee back?  

Understand what you’re saying but don’t think it would made a lot of difference since the forward tees were still quite a bit longer than the courses I usually play. Used to being the shortest off the tee but can usually make it up with the short game. Bad as it was still had the second best score of the foursome, just don’t care for the big numbers, by that I mean 100+. 

Driver -  Callaway GBB Epic

Fairway - Cobra Baffler 5W

Hybrid - TaylorMade Rescue mid 2,4,5h

Irons - Cobra Baffler XL 7-P

GW - Cobra Baffler XL

SW - King Cobra os

Putter - Evnroll ER2

15 hours ago, alii1959 said:

I've been messing with my grip lately to fix my slice. Rolled me lead hand over more so I can see my first 2 knuckles as I look down at address (some quick tip video I saw). Yesterday I hit about 60% of my drives into the woods on the left.  Usually I hit about 80% into the woods on the right.  So I guess that's a slight improvement!  Need to tweak it more so I can hit it in between.  I have always used an overlapping grip but maybe I'll try the 10 finger.  The quest continues.....

PXG Gen6 0311 driver 9 degree with Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g stiff shaft

Tour Edge Exotics C722 2 hybrid (17 degree)

Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 3 hybrid (20 degree)

Callaway Mavrik 5 hybrid (23 degree)

PXG 0311XP Gen3 irons 6-PW

Wedges: Edel 48 degree;  Cleveland RTX Fullface 52 degree; Cleveland Smartsole 58 degree

Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 putter

10 hours ago, Overspark07 said:

Got to get out for a round with a friend with a single digit handicap. As someone who’s never broke 90, I’ve been pretty reluctant to play with people “that good” for fear of making it unenjoyable. What I realized today is that there’s a lot of small things that he does better. Chips, pitches and putts! Learned a lot today

@Overspark07 great honest post, and something that many golfers feel when they are put in a group with better golfers. 

For me, I always remember being welcomed by the premier golfers when i was learning the game and, like you, i always had something to take away from the round, still do actually. So I make an effort to try and make it comfortable for all the players in my group and treat them with respect. 

As long as the players can keep up speed wise everything should be fine, I'm sure you will find some "arrogant" players that turn their noses up at playing with higher handicaps but I find them few and far between and they are weeded out from "the club" fairly quickly. 

I snicker at those players as many times the higher cappers score better than they do on a given round.

I'm happy you went out and hopefully you will continue to do so.

committed to performance excellence

39 minutes ago, puffler said:

I've been messing with my grip lately to fix my slice. Rolled me lead hand over more so I can see my first 2 knuckles as I look down at address (some quick tip video I saw). Yesterday I hit about 60% of my drives into the woods on the left.  Usually I hit about 80% into the woods on the right.  So I guess that's a slight improvement!  Need to tweak it more so I can hit it in between.  I have always used an overlapping grip but maybe I'll try the 10 finger.  The quest continues.....

For me with interlocking grip, what helped  my slice be less was foot position. with the trail foot about halfway back behind my lead foot toes (after initial setup.) Then flaring my lead foot out to 3/4 position  from center.

With baseball grip I developed a hook/draw and realized I was over compensating and actually had to move my trail hand to a stronger grip form.

Your results will vary.

WITB-

Arghh, golf is so annoying! 

On for my best round ever today, gross 71 after 16, then had to wait 10 minutes on the 17th tee.

Completely lost my rhythm and ended up with 8 ( par 5) and 7(par 4).

Had probably 5 putts that, on another day, would have gone in too. 

Oh well, onto the next round...

:cobra-small: Aerojet  🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small: JPX921SEL 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 120 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

On 8/30/2024 at 1:21 AM, Gravenor said:

Beautiful course, especially that last picture.

I've been playing great golf recently too, and I think it is in large part down to what you've just said - don't stress! To keep myself in a good frame of mind throughout my round I always remind myself that i'm in a beautiful place, playing golf, in the sun... it could be worse... In fact it can't really get much better - regardless of what I shoot!

Pretty much all golf courses are beautiful places to be at! So, I totally agree that it can be a lot worse! And for a recap, after a total of 80 holes without a double bogey, it came, and they came in numbers! I had 2 doubles and one triple in the last 5 holes yesterday. Golf is weird... and wonderful

Driver: Titlest TS2 12,5 degree
3 wood:Titlest TS2 15 degree
Hybrid: Titlest TS2 21,5 degree
4- P iron: Mizuno Jpx921 HM
50 degree Mizuno Jpx 921
56 and 60 wedge TaylorMade Milled Grind Satin Chrome
Putter: Ping Ds72
Starting to get a good setup, just want to change up the irons, with a 4 Iron at 19 degree it´s not really helping me with a hybrid in the bag. And my swingspeed is just little bit to slow for the shaft I use on the irons so hit it a little low and little right compare to clubs I testet with another shaft.

5 minutes ago, DStar said:

Arghh, golf is so annoying! 

On for my best round ever today, gross 71 after 16, then had to wait 10 minutes on the 17th tee.

Completely lost my rhythm and ended up with 8 ( par 5) and 7(par 4).

Had probably 5 putts that, on another day, would have gone in too. 

Oh well, onto the next round...

Waiting on the tee has destroyed a lot of rounds—it's the easiest way to start overthinking and mess up a good swing haha. Unlucky for you with such a good round!

Driver: Titlest TS2 12,5 degree
3 wood:Titlest TS2 15 degree
Hybrid: Titlest TS2 21,5 degree
4- P iron: Mizuno Jpx921 HM
50 degree Mizuno Jpx 921
56 and 60 wedge TaylorMade Milled Grind Satin Chrome
Putter: Ping Ds72
Starting to get a good setup, just want to change up the irons, with a 4 Iron at 19 degree it´s not really helping me with a hybrid in the bag. And my swingspeed is just little bit to slow for the shaft I use on the irons so hit it a little low and little right compare to clubs I testet with another shaft.

Better ball striking and of course putting day resulted in a 78. More 7 to 8 over days coming, I hope.😄🇨🇦

P.A. Renaud - Driver - Mizuno STX 230 

Irons - Taylormade Stealth 5 to Sand wedge

Putter - Taylormade Spider GTX

70 years old - disabled due to accident in Albania during 30 years service in Canadian Army.

Donator/Veteran

Broken 80 several times

the video from this mornings round is posted 

39/43 and it wasnt too bad actually. A few sand traps though. Got out for a 630 tee time (pro shop owed me a favor) before the course opened at 7am.

All clubs have the jumbo grips.

WITB-

16 hours ago, Big moose said:

We don't get to play Augusta national but the course's near there are nice. 

Friend of mine played a couple of the surrounding courses and had a great time.  I’m sure you will too.

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

On 8/30/2024 at 8:01 AM, Nick_Chilelli said:

Not playing today, but just got confirmation that I have an interview out on Kiawah for a management position. I’ve been trying to get out there for years, so praying that I can make this happen. Fingers crossed! 🤞🏼 

Good luck with the interview @Nick_Chilelli!🤞🏾Let us know how it goes.

Still swinging after all these years

My lovely wife arranged a round today with her family during a weekend family reunion in Saratoga. We played the Spa course and it was really excellent. Tree lined and in really great shape for a state park. It’s short from the whites with a lot of 340-370 yard 4’s. Didn’t play great, shot 80 but enjoyed the fun layout. 

IMG_2595.jpeg

IMG_2599.jpeg

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/