How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

As has been the usual lately, a mixture of great and terrible.  I'm trying to laugh it off, but I'm fighting frustration with my current regression/plateau and the fact that as my iron play has gotten better it has fully exposed the weakest part of my game (really short approach).  Its kind of funny that when I used to miss my approach shot by a mile I had an easier time getting up and down then I do when I'm 15 yards from the hole with a wedge in hand.  I'm certainly more comfortable but confidence isn't there yet on the course.  Anyway onto the round.  I played Rustic Canyon today which was, as always, incredible.  It was, however, particularly vicious today -- the course and golf gods gave me no love today with bounces, lies, and putting locations.  I didn't put up a monster number but I would call my 92 a heavy struggle.  That being said, if I can tame these blowup holes, even down to just bogey, I'm going to be in very good shape.

The good: 

Off the tee -- Excellent.  I hit 10/13 fairways (which has to be a record for me)

Driver -- Mostly great, with a few what did you just do moments.

3Wood -- Best day I've ever had with this club.  I was crushing it all day, both off the deck and off the tee, but getting truly unlucky on approach.  A foot short into heavy 12" grass on a par 5, a yard left catching the edge of a bunker on a long par 4, and getting a mega kick forward that put me into the back of a deep pot bunker on a par 5.

The Average:

Irons --  I was either in great shape or just missing.  Could have been better but just didn't really feel dialed all day.

Wedges --  There were a few terrible skulls with par in play that led to triples.  Otherwise they weren't bad.  They didn't help me either.

Putting -- It just wasn't an on day.  My speed was okay but my aim was not.

The Poor:

My luck --  It was bad kick city today for me.   Man its frustrating when you have the local course knowledge and the course says, "nope, that won't work today."

My green reading: Usually I don't have a problem with Rustic, but today it gave me fits.  I just read things totally wrong so many times today.  (I recognize that it says 34 putts but because of the links nature of the course I had a putter in hand a lot more than it shows.  There were a lot of 3 putt stroke holes that only count are only two official putts.

99182794_RusticFront.jpg.8fd91908374e4105423c8a92b0a1c6b3.jpg1139766251_RusticBack.jpg.f53e9ed93c2b6ac39e156022c9e6ff6e.jpg

Edited by Syks7
  • Like 7

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red  

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour (shares duty with 3I depending on the day)

:Sub70: 699pro - 3I Driving Iron KBS Tour (shares duty with the 2 hybrid depending on the day)

:Sub70: 699pro - 4I, 5I - 639CB 6/PW -- True Temper Elevate Elevate Tour

:taylormade-small: RSI2 -- 4/PW- Nippon Modus 115 (Testing)

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour 

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour 

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV Divide

After last weekend, my course closed for the season.  Weather was taking a turn, overnight lows getting to 20*F and below.

And, they've opened back up, with our high temps being in the 50s and even 60s, starting yesterday through next Tuesday.  How about that?

Playing today, tomorrow, Sunday, and hoping to set something up for Monday.

After the last few years of early season endings, nice to have this little reprieve.

• Like 8

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:Still on the green but 30 feet behind the pin; no wind.  So... now that is my new distance for my 8i, right??  😂

Exactly and need to add ten yards to so your other clubs distances as well. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small: Epic Speed 15°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke iM10 60g  6.0

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° :Fuji: Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5 - PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS-logo - KZG Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: - Pro V1x | Right Handed

Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I had a really nice round of golf yesterday.  A fellow GolfSpy was in my area for this weekend and we played at Meadowcreek in Charlottesville, VA.  It was great meeting someone from this forum, and a real pleasure to play golf with him.

Edited by Paul Hedrick
  • Like 9
  • Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons       635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter       default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                  Huntington Beach  soft 10.5 C
  • 2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.1a396eb0e7a56229c153cfe6bb5b7435.jpg                            2021 Tester

Seemore3.jpg

15-20 mph south wind with gusts made yesterday entertaining.  I spent much of the front 9 hitting horrible tee shots trying to compensate for the wind.  Hard to score when you're laying up on par 4s.  

Add in a complete loss of feel with the putter and its not a recipe for low scoring.

Developed a tee game clue on the back nine.  Thanks to the wind, I was able to go hybrid-hybrid to just short of the 495 yd par 5 (water interrupts half to two thirds of the hole at 255 from tee), and lipped out my eagle chip.  My lone highlight.  LOL

Don't know what I shot, suspect it was mid 80s...

• Like 7

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

11 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Exactly and need to add ten yards to so your other clubs distances as well. 

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have that swing for every shot yet.  Working on it.  Back to reality today.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

79 (41/38). Birdied two in-a-row on the back to help the score.

I tried a “winter” shaft in the driver today, and once I figured out where to aim it it turned out to be pretty good. As the temps drop I can’t activate the XX stiff shafts I have, so I’m going to move down to playing a stiff shaft until it heats-up again. I tried the stock Mitsubishi MMT 70 Stiff today and liked it, I just HATE the way the Max LS head feels. I never get the sense that I flush one.

• Like 9

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

14 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I got nine holes in this evening after grocery shopping. My wife didn't sleep too good last night and decided to take a nap, so it was the perfect chance to head to the course.

I decided to move up a set of tees to have a chance to score well and the round started out good. I peppered a drive to leave an 81 shot approach shot into the green. Hit it a little thin and was over the back.  It took two chips to get it on the green and I two putted for a double. I'll not complain too much about that. 

I bogeyed the second and it looked like things were going to plan, then the wheels fell off. I went +21 over the next 5 holes with two nines and a ten. Nothing was working and five lost golf balls killed my round. 

The only thing I had going for me was the putter. I had two one putts and one three putt from 7 feet. I hit the first one 9 feet past the hole, came up short on the second, and tapped in. Other than that, I gained .83 strokes against my putting handicap of 17.

I shot 64 with 17 putts. My game has been a train wreck lately, it's frustrating. I've just got to keep plugging along at the swing changes I'm working on and hopefully by early next year, I'll see some progress. 

Don't sweat it.  Some days are just worse than others.  It will come around.  

Oh yeah.. hope you got potatoes!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

25 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I got nine holes in this evening after grocery shopping. My wife didn't sleep too good last night and decided to take a nap, so it was the perfect chance to head to the course.

I decided to move up a set of tees to have a chance to score well and the round started out good. I peppered a drive to leave an 81 shot approach shot into the green. Hit it a little thin and was over the back.  It took two chips to get it on the green and I two putted for a double. I'll not complain too much about that. 

I bogeyed the second and it looked like things were going to plan, then the wheels fell off. I went +21 over the next 5 holes with two nines and a ten. Nothing was working and five lost golf balls killed my round. 

The only thing I had going for me was the putter. I had two one putts and one three putt from 7 feet. I hit the first one 9 feet past the hole, came up short on the second, and tapped in. Other than that, I gained .83 strokes against my putting handicap of 17.

I shot 64 with 17 putts. My game has been a train wreck lately, it's frustrating. I've just got to keep plugging along at the swing changes I'm working on and hopefully by early next year, I'll see some progress. 

Don't be hard on yourself. You were doing great during the lessons, so you know you can do it. This time of year is hard to improve unless you are indoors. Colder weather and extra clothes makes it hard. Keep on plugging away, it will come. 

• Like 7

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Don't be hard on yourself. You were doing great during the lessons, so you know you can do it. This time of year is hard to improve unless you are indoors. Colder weather and extra clothes makes it hard. Keep on plugging away, it will come. 

You're right, I need to learn to relax a bit more out on the course. I think that's what had me so frustrated, not that I was hitting the ball bad, it's that I let the mental game lapse.

I need to find a good golf psychology book and get the mind straight because I've developed a case of nerves over the ball when I'm on the course. 

• Like 7

Jekyll and Hyde round yesterday.  Doubled the second hole after having tree trouble, then finding the sand and biffing the 4 footer for bogey.  Made 20 footer for bird on par 5 4th.  Had a couple crazy up-and-downs, including one for bird on par 5 8th hole.  Finish the front even par.

Magic starts to dissappear on the back.  Par putt lips out on 10.  Par putt lips out on 12.  And we slam on the brakes as we are the fourth group on par 3 13th.  There was a group on #15 who were holding everything up, drunk and stupid.  

Sitting for 25 min wasn't too helpful, I guess.  Wound up doubling 13 and finished bogey bogey bogey for a 36-42 round of 78.  

What could have been.

Two things of note...  first, put my Golden Ram TW282 set in the bag.  I'd reshafted these with RIP Tour 115.  They were lovely, hit them pretty well, except for the hook 3 iron that led to double on #13.  

Second, strangely found a half club of extra distance yesterday.  I've been on my version of Brother Chisag's swing change the last few months, trying to shorten my swing.  I've got a John Daly length swing, every so often I try to fix that.  Yesterday, I dispensed with the fixing, went back to the "regular swing."  Unsure if that's the source of the distance, but I'll take it.

• Like 9

What started off as a chilly 46 degrees turned in a beautiful sunny and 60 degree day rather quickly. Teed off at 10 am. The first 3 holes I had on two layers of pull overs. I went Bogey, Bogey Par. Took off the outer layer and got on a par train through hole 11. Managed to sink two birdie putts on  holes 12 and 13. Went back on the par train and lipped out my birdie putt on 18. Shot an even par of 71.

When I lived up in the North East my minimum playing temperature was 40 degrees. Now that I have been in Tennessee for 16 years I think my minimum playing temperature is 50 degrees. I guess being a bit older and the blood getting thinner might have something to do with it. But sometimes the itch is to great to ignore. When the course calls you just have to comply!

• Like 9

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

What started off as a chilly 46 degrees turned in a beautiful sunny and 60 degree day rather quickly. Teed off at 10 am. The first 3 holes I had on two layers of pull overs. I went Bogey, Bogey Par. Took off the outer layer and got on a par train through hole 11. Managed to sink two birdie putts on  holes 12 and 13. Went back on the par train and lipped out my birdie putt on 18. Shot an even par of 71.

When I lived up in the North East my minimum playing temperature was 40 degrees. Now that I have been in Tennessee for 16 years I think my minimum playing temperature is 50 degrees. I guess being a bit older and the blood getting thinner might have something to do with it. But sometimes the itch is to great to ignore. When the course calls you just have to comply!

I think the coldest I've ever gotten out was 34 degrees. A couple of friends and I had a tee time at Bear Trace at Harrison Bay and it was the first time I've played it. I'm really thankful for lightweight, warm thermals. It was still hard to move, but I didn't freeze.

Great round, Tom! That's the way to recover and post a great score. 

• Like 4

Shot a 96 today. Will take it given the crappy, cold, rainy weather.

Had a couple of penalties that hurt (one OB drive early on in the round and one water ball on a par 3 that would have been ok if it was like 2 feet longer). 

Score would have been lower if i could make some putts. I didn't putt poorly, but had a number of medium to long putts that missed the hole by a few inches. 

Also, played from the blues today. Sometimes play blues in the summer, but when its cold normally play members (mix of white and blue). 

• Like 8

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft