Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What is the BEST part of your game?

What is the best part of your game?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best part of your game?

• Driving/Off the Tee
    • Approach Play
    • Short Game
    • Chipping
    • Putting
    • Being on the Range

On 3/23/2024 at 11:28 AM, DaveP043 said:

I didn't see my particular strength in the potential answers.  I excel at the post-round drinks ...

On 3/24/2024 at 7:53 AM, revkev said:

You didn’t give me my real strength - the 19th hole. I excel there!

Hahaha love it .. and you guys beat me to it!! 🍻

otoh I know what the weak part of my game is currently ... approaches from say 100 - 150 ...

gotta work on the irons!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 3/22/2024 at 5:36 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Poll Topic!

What is the BEST part of your game? Let us know!

The best part of my game isn't on the list. It's the fairway woods and hybrids.

For whatever reason, I can really hit those clubs well. I may not be the longest hitter (although I'm working on getting more rotation to help with that), but I can really get them straight and where I need them to go. My 3W outpaces my driver and always has. We'll see what some fittings have to say about that this Spring. But for now, I don't carry a driver, just a Rocket 3W along with a regular 3W.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

I wavered so much because everything is mediocre and so more went with the area where I feel most confident, which is chipping. Even thinking about the possibility of being confident off the tee is so foreign to me, I can't comprehend it. The unfortunate part is driver is consistently pretty solid on the range, which makes it difficult to figure out how to translate to the course. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

Overall, the best part of my game is chipping.  Age and physical limitations have resulted in me becoming the old golfer that I used to hate when I was younger!  I'm typically short and have to chip up and make the putt to score.  Out of necessity, my chipping has gotten pretty good.  The Shot Scope strokes gain tells the story.  Though I hit almost 80% of my fairways, they are always short, leaving me with fairway woods to the green on par fours (which generally are short as well).  To survive, I had to learn to chip and putt.  It shows in the numbers. 

image.png.e850f2491a8984f644b3df8fe8012952.png

A few years ago, a golf buddy and I attended the Bird Golf Academy for a three-day school.  Our instructor was Mary Mills a multiple women's major champion.  She was great.  In our initial discussions about strengths and weaknesses, by buddy told Mary that I had a good short game, especially chipping.  Her response was something along the line of "I'll be a judge of that."  After we were done with the instruction and playing nine holes with her each day, I had her sign my hat.  Here's what she wrote:

BIrdAcademyweb.jpg.fcda55a4febb37ff80105480319e2339.jpg

The final indication that my chipping is pretty good is that my nickname with the guys I typically play with is "F#*king Norm" because of my ability to get up and down from all sorts of situations.

As much as I'd like to drive the ball a long way, for where I am now, I'll take my chipping as a strength!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Driver & short game (wedges), best part of my game! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I struggled to answer the poll.  I’m usually a straight-ish driver but lack distance to effectively score low.  Approach is my weakest part of my game because of shorter shots off the tee and inconsistent ball striking.  Once I get inside 100 yards, my short game will help save an otherwise poor round or help me produce a low round.  

I found it difficult to determine whether the best part of my game was pitching, chipping or putting; I consider all of them to be part of the short game, including bunker play.  Sometimes it’s my wedge play, other times it might be chipping or putting.  The low rounds are produced when all are working; unfortunately they don’t all work well at the same time very often… so I guess my answer has to be Short Game.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

23 hours ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

I wavered so much because everything is mediocre and so more went with the area where I feel most confident, which is chipping. Even thinking about the possibility of being confident off the tee is so foreign to me, I can't comprehend it. The unfortunate part is driver is consistently pretty solid on the range, which makes it difficult to figure out how to translate to the course. 

Update: Played 9 yesterday. 7/7 fairways. Shot 48. Driving the ball, the clear strength in my game.

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

• 3 weeks later...

Let’s say I’m an off-balanced player, good putter, great second shots, good approaching, awfull with my driver, I’ve changed it 2 times in the past three years, now I just use the oldest and in three or four holes during mi round. Irons or maybe hybrid off the tee…any good advice?  

ME

This year without a doubt it has been putting and I expect that to continue. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

all of a sudden, my iron play is both most improved and most valuable. Switched to PRGR Nabla ID Tour Forged irons with their Tour Graphite Stiff (low torque) shafts (i’m 74) over the winter. Regained distance, able to flight, and hitting them super straight (hit 2 pins and stiffed another on last back nine). Hit 13 greens (usually a good 4 round total) on way to 71 (beat my age by 3) this week. Some of this has to do with good turf interaction from double cambered soles. More mass behind impact zone works better for me (don’t know why exactly as i’m not a good ball striker). For me, all of offset limiting over rotation and flight too high. To top it all, fantastic deal: traded even up for 2 old wedges and a Wilson Infinite putter (valued at $143). Moral of the story, worth trying a path less traveled.

IMG_9771.png

IMG_9772.png

IMG_9774.png

Tony Penna Putter

Akira 58 wedge, orig graphite stiff for irons

PRGR ID Nabla forged tour irons 5-P weak

Adams 5 hybrid UST Proforce Hybrid Stiff

Callaway UW17,19 Hazardous Smoke RDX S

PXG Gen 5 0311 10.5, Hazardous Smoke RDX 

I never thought of my driving as an asset, but when I look at my Garmin stats for ALL users (not just my handicap), I see the following: Drive - 90%, Approach - 76%, Chip - 62% and Driver distance 41%.  Those get slightly better when i just look at those in my handicap (except distance where I am at 40%).  I am on average 46% FIR and exactly 27% left and right, which seems to make some sense (although I would have thought a bit more right as I play a soft fade typically).  My average drives are only 202 yards (185 meters) although significant variability with an occasional 220-230 yards per round also.  I rated "short game" as my best, if I am within 120 yards of the hole (110 meters) I am likely going to hit the green.  At my home course, Garmin indicates I have an average of 18% GIR and I have an average of 2 putts per hole. On my home course though, my FIR is slightly better at 53%, right is 30% and 17% left (which sounds more appropriate to me given said soft fade). That data is on the last 30 rounds played there in all conditions on a links course.  

For example I played yesterday in extremely blustery conditions and some rain, we had winds up to 30 mph, the ball was going nowhere.  I am not good enough to be able to play the low driver on demand.  But it was the tale of 2 nines - 46 on the front, including carding a 9 on the Par 5, but a 56 on the back with 3 snowmen and no pars (3 pars on the front).  With the driver taken out of play and the middle game also impacted significantly, I had to use a lot of shots to get close to the green for any short game chances, and the back 9 was very tough as more open to the wind.  

Edited by Julius
clarify

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

Definitely the big stick, although mine isn’t very big!  Talking about how far I hit the driver and not what you might’ve thought 🤣.  But I do manage to find the short grass a majority of the time.  Fought a terrible hook for many years (hence the moniker) but with a lot of range work turned the hook into a very dependable draw.  On a good, warm day I can carry my driver about 190 yards.  Not great, but not too bad for a guy in his 70’s.  With my mid ball flight the draw rolls out.  But anything longer than the senior tees and I am toast!  Words of wisdom…If you hit it short, at least hit it straight!

I don’t carry a fairway wood…

My driver i dont think it even understands there is a fairway cause it rarely goes there BUT my approach/shortgame saves me. Pretty accurate from like 180 in. Granted thats practice playing on some Par3s but idk just anything from like and 8i-60 deg just feels so good in my hands. I gain too many strokes getting into that distance is what kills my HC right now.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

I’m pretty solid tee to green, I don’t lose balls much but man do I suck with the flat stick. My last round I had 6 3 putts lol

Cobra f9

titleist ts3 3 wood and 4 hybrid

titlesist u500 2 iron

srixon z forged 5-pw

cleveland zip core 50 and 55

taylormade high toe 60

taylormade spider x 

Best driving - worst putting

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

27 minutes ago, Crane263 said:

I’m pretty solid tee to green, I don’t lose balls much but man do I suck with the flat stick. My last round I had 6 3 putts lol

I first read that as “63” putts!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

8 minutes ago, bikehikeflywy said:

Best part of my game is the pre-round excitement. Everything is downhill after that.

I feel this. I feel this very much. 😂

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Best- short game by far carry 4 sedges  Worst- approach or GIR.

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

I used to be the drive for show guy and it made up for a host of sins on and around the green.  Can't do that any more. Recent knee surgery has me rehabbing and part of that is short game practice.  And guess what?  I can now hit those delicate little chips when short sided on a slippery green and get the ball close.  Pitch and run?  That's now in the bag, too.  Short iron approaches?  Getting better and better.  Putting?  Well, putting may never be the best part of my game....I miss too many 4 and 5 footers!  Argh!  But I'm getting better there too.  

I miss pulling out the driver on short par 4's, miss going for the green in two on a par 5.  But playing smart, staying on the short grass, and getting up and down has never been better.  Golf is so difficult because there are so many distinctly different parts of the game to master.  Putting is a whole different game than driving.  If you're a golfer, you know  how true this statement is.   After a lifetime of golf, I have earned to appreciate it even more, and that is the beauty of our game.  Just MHO.

Edited by GolferXY

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

On 3/22/2024 at 10:29 PM, BreakfastBall15 said:

Approach. No data to back it up but I feel more confident hitting a green 200 out with a 5 iron than 40 yards out with a wedge 

I got 11 holes in the other day, literally lived this comment. Two birdies from a 205 and a 195 approach shots (abnormal), three double bogeys, all from pitch shots <25 yds. 

According to Shot Scope from the last year, driving/tee shots are my strength. 

IMG_3363.png

6 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

6 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

I’m just slightly better than that lol. My punctuation could use some practice too. 

Cobra f9

titleist ts3 3 wood and 4 hybrid

titlesist u500 2 iron

srixon z forged 5-pw

cleveland zip core 50 and 55

taylormade high toe 60

taylormade spider x 

4 hours ago, bikehikeflywy said:

Best part of my game is the pre-round excitement. Everything is downhill after that.

You stole my response brother. I was going to say the best part of my game is that I keep going regardless of the pain it causes me. lol. 

Callaway Rogue ST max driver (Tour Ad IZ-6)

Cobra LTD-X 3 and 5 wood (Tour AD UB-6)

PXG 0317 X Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue)

PXG Gen 6 P 5-G irons (Mitsubishi MMT)

PXG 0311 Forged wedges (Mitsubishi MMT)

Ping Tein 4 putter

blessed beyond measure. 

13 minutes ago, arodrig29 said:

You stole my response brother. I was going to say the best part of my game is that I keep going regardless of the pain it causes me. lol. 

It was a toss-up between pre-round excitement or skulling my wedges... Solidarity, man!

-Remember: Course Management.

23 minutes ago, Crane263 said:

I’m just slightly better than that lol. My punctuation could use some practice too. 

All good, I just missed the space at first!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

My driver is the best part of my game. I usually keep in the fairway. I’m not that long of the tee box anymore about 200 +. But I’m 71 now going on 72. Usually my short game is the worst part of my game. Lately my putting is killing me. I shot 82 and three putted 4 times. 

Norman May

An old quote:  My two best shots are the practice swing and the conceded putt.

Mine is a tossup between the new Odyssey "R" Ball putter, and the trusty blue Mizuno S18 GFF wedge, 52 x 9.

My worst shot is cortisone, again, into the left shoulder acromio-clavicular joint.  I inherited scoliosis and kyphosis (forward protruding neck).

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I used to say driving, but recently it has been putting.  Went out today and was all over the place with the driver.  Had 30 putts, but some decent length ones overall.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter