Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

Speed Training

Hey everyone, looking for information and experiences with speed training systems:

1) Superspeed

2) Rypstick

3) Stack system

Has anyone had success with any of these? Additionally, if you've tried more than one of them, which did you prefer and why?

Thanks peeps!

"Be a goldfish" - Ted Lasso

I have RypStick, and from a physical product perspective, it's nice to only have one item to manage -- although I was frequently worried I would lose one of the little weights.  My only complaint was that I couldn't get it heavier at the top end.

As for the programming, I did watch the stock instruction videos with Rypstick; and also watched the stock instruction videos for Superspeed (which they make available without physical purchase), and while I can't remember exact specifics, I liked the Superspeed programming better.

If I was starting over, between those two, I'd probably lean Superspeed.  No idea about Stack though.

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

On 4/9/2024 at 4:08 PM, pgareject87 said:

Hey everyone, looking for information and experiences with speed training systems:

1) Superspeed

2) Rypstick

3) Stack system

Has anyone had success with any of these? Additionally, if you've tried more than one of them, which did you prefer and why?

Thanks peeps!

I have used the SuperSpeed with good results. Got about 1/3 of the way through the program before winter set in (I can't swing it indoors) and I gained 5-6 MPH on my cruising speed driver. Kept the same speed  with driver when I picked the clubs back up this Spring and, if anything, have exercised less than normal this Winter.

I have heard good things about the Stack system, and I know many love the app component. I think Superspeed can accomplish the same outcomes in a slightly different way than the Stack. I think Sasho (creator) is a brilliant guy and I think it will come down to price and features you seek in a system. 

I have no experience with the Rypstick, but I personally like everything Superspeed has to offer. I believe a PRGR is required for all of the systems to track swing speed so be sure to factor that into your budget. There are videos and easy to follow plans the SS lays out that I believe most will have benefit from. I personally do not see the AI component of the Stack as worth the extra $.

One key component to all of these systems, in my opinion, is to have a proper warm up before hand and swing as fast as you possibly can. I think most people who don't have good results are a result of not "getting after it with all they have" when training. I have never done any speed work and just a little went a long way. 

Good luck! 

Edited by Iamsecond116
typo

Practical golf FTW!

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. I ended up doing some research and ended up going with the rypstick. It will be easier to manage/transport, they had a discount on a package that came with a radar, and there is a corresponding app for Android, which was important because I don't want to tote more than my phone to the course. 

I like the fact that their program incorporates rest days as injury prevention is super important to me. The program itself seems super simple and like a good way to get my heart rate up. I'm assuming the app allows you to track your baseline and gains as you go, wish me luck. Lol!

Had great success with SuperSpeed, but have moved onto Stack. So far early days, but also showing progress. 

I love the combo with the Rapsodo MLM2Pro for recording swings and swing speed. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I started on the Stack system about a month ago, and even though it hasn’t been much time, I’m already seeing improvement: both average speed per club, but also better consistency in speed over a practice session.  

The fact that you have to put maximum effort into your swing has helped me refine my timing and sequencing.  I noticed I had a tendency to slow down over a round, and that it would throw off my timing.  That has definitely improved.

I really like the app too - it keeps me motivated and on track.  I was a little worried about some feedback I read that some users with back issues exacerbated them while doing Stack training, but if anything I feel like my core is getting stronger.

Dan Yates, 55 year old trying to qualify for PA Senior Amateur in 2024; searching for some magic in my game again

How would one go about speed training after a somewhat recent shoulder injury, "turned the corner" on the injury, but I feel it's dangerous to go back to it and could use some words of where to "exercise" caution. (Puns intended)

I had good results previously, but the injury and then moved halfway across the US, settled in and healed up now.

The injury was not golf related, if it matters, no surgery and a partial thickness tear of rotator cuff(subscapularis). Healed with physio(PT).

Maybe the answer is...don't and wait more time, and focus elsewhere until it's a distant memory. Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Cheers.

Hey Al_Mack, I had surgery about 16 months ago after a complete rupture of my superspinatus, a three quarter circumference labrum tear, and a full tear of the long head of my biceps (which had to be shortened and reattached to my humerus), and I had my acromion shaved to create more tendon mobility through the shoulder joint.  Mine was climbing and weightlifting related, but I found my golf swing speed suffered due to reduced rotational mobility and a shortening of my swing width.  
Before I started speed training, well after the surgical recovery and PT (which took almost 1 year) I started on a shoulder strengthening and stretching program called Crossover Symmetry, and started doing it 1-2x a day.  It was designed to build shoulder resilience, be used as a warm up and maintenance program, and to help rehab non-surgical injuries.  I can’t recommend it enough.  
Once I started feeling strong enough to give the Stack program a start, I started the baseline protocol and realized I wasn’t quite ready and just continued to build strength and mobility.  Now I’m ready and starting the Stack program didn’t cause any problems.  

Dan Yates, 55 year old trying to qualify for PA Senior Amateur in 2024; searching for some magic in my game again

3 minutes ago, Dan Yates said:

Hey Al_Mack, I had surgery about 16 months ago after a complete rupture of my superspinatus, a three quarter circumference labrum tear, and a full tear of the long head of my biceps (which had to be shortened and reattached to my humerus), and I had my acromion shaved to create more tendon mobility through the shoulder joint.  Mine was climbing and weightlifting related, but I found my golf swing speed suffered due to reduced rotational mobility and a shortening of my swing width.  
Before I started speed training, well after the surgical recovery and PT (which took almost 1 year) I started on a shoulder strengthening and stretching program called Crossover Symmetry, and started doing it 1-2x a day.  It was designed to build shoulder resilience, be used as a warm up and maintenance program, and to help rehab non-surgical injuries.  I can’t recommend it enough.  
Once I started feeling strong enough to give the Stack program a start, I started the baseline protocol and realized I wasn’t quite ready and just continued to build strength and mobility.  Now I’m ready and starting the Stack program didn’t cause any problems.  

Much appreciated for your in-depth reply, I will definately research Crossover Symmetry. Seems to be key, to make sure to slowly ramp up and pull back if there are any signs of discomfort, my injury was considerably less severe than yours. It sounds like I need to judge how it feels and move up effort in small stages. Important to baby step through the mental aspect of it too I imagine.

I thought the answer would be an outright no-go for "X" amount of time, but this is good news and makes sense.

I am happy to hear you are fully healed up, may there be many pain free rounds with low scores in your near future my friend.

Cheers.

Cheers.

13 minutes ago, Al_Mack said:

Much appreciated for your in-depth reply, I will definately research Crossover Symmetry. Seems to be key, to make sure to slowly ramp up and pull back if there are any signs of discomfort, my injury was considerably less severe than yours. It sounds like I need to judge how it feels and move up effort in small stages. Important to baby step through the mental aspect of it too I imagine.

I thought the answer would be an outright no-go for "X" amount of time, but this is good news and makes sense.

I am happy to hear you are fully healed up, may there be many pain free rounds with low scores in your near future my friend.

Cheers.

Another vouch here for Crossover Symmetry. I didn’t initially buy it for golf - I used it to help strengthen shoulders for swimming and a PT and load carrying based endurance events I was training towards. But I have found it very useful to continue doing as I got back into golf. 
it will double up as a golf/ rotational conditioning tool too- pallof presses being one ‘good for golf’ exercise that uses bands. 
I have a long history of shoulder injuries and have found CS a fantastic protocol to regain strength and mobility

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:titleist-small:TSR2 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW

:vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix ;  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

Really interesting to read the feedback on these systems. This is definitely something I will be looking into in the near future!

Edited by Hughesjosh

D -TSR2

3 wood - TSR2

Apex tour 22 irons

Mixture of wedges

Odyssey putter

Check out Stack if you are an iOS user. Lots of good stuff there and some putting training as well. 

Then for SuperSpeed it is another proven system. It can be pretty intensive, but it is still great!

Rypstick I saw a feature on the main site about it recently, but have no experience with it either. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Currently using Stack System. Have been thru first 40 days and driver swing speed is up 5 mph. Hoping for another 5 with the system. It motivates by telling you when you have set personal records at various weights both on individual swings and for the average for a set of swings. The videos provided also help and the warmup routine is now something I use before playing as well as before a Stack system session. Overall it has also helped balance and that shows up as an improvement on the golf course. 

WITB Driver- Paradigm AI Smoke Triple Diamond 10.5 degree; 3 Wood- Taylor Made M2 ; 3 Hybrid- Callaway Epic Flash ; 4 Hybrid- Callaway Epic Flash; 6 iron thru AW- Callaway Rogue; 54 degree Callaway Mac Daddy w/ 10 degree bounce; 60 degree Callaway Mac Daddy w/ 8 degree bounce; Putter- LAB Mezz

I used Stack this winter. My maximum driver CHS has gone from 100 mph to 119 mph, and my maximum ball speed is up to 174 mph. Playing CHS is at 110-113 and playing ball speed is in the 163-167 range. It worked for me. 

Edited by golfer3411

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 10.5 Kai'li Blue 65S

3w: Callaway Epic Flash 14.0 Tensei Blue 75S

Hybrids: Titleist TS3 19 NKV Green 85S and TS3 23 Tour Green 85S

Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 5-P Project X IO 6.0

Wedges: Cobra King PUR 50, 54, 58 DG120S

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

On 4/9/2024 at 5:08 PM, pgareject87 said:

1) Superspeed

2) Rypstick

3) Stack system

Thanks peeps!

Morning. 

So I tried my friend Rypstick, and it was pretty interesting to see how it works. I was not a huge fan as I did not like the motion of how I felt swinging it, but I can see the logic of why you would use it. I have a Golf Swing Tempo Trainer that extends and clicks when you hit the right swing speed and motion. It may not be what you are looking at, but I like it and that it is very compact.

image.png.0efb33a34e43f0b7e439f1ca783490de.png

Golf is a humbling sport....I should know...I have three kids, and that can be frustrating! 

16 hours ago, pgareject87 said:

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. I ended up doing some research and ended up going with the rypstick. It will be easier to manage/transport, they had a discount on a package that came with a radar, and there is a corresponding app for Android, which was important because I don't want to tote more than my phone to the course. 

I like the fact that their program incorporates rest days as injury prevention is super important to me. The program itself seems super simple and like a good way to get my heart rate up. I'm assuming the app allows you to track your baseline and gains as you go, wish me luck. Lol!

I would love to see how it goes. I’ve been thinking about trying the Rypstick myself. 

R. Dale

PT.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S, 58.08M 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

1 hour ago, Drdale2013 said:

I would love to see how it goes. I’ve been thinking about trying the Rypstick myself. 

It comes in next week, so I'll definitely post some feedback and keep folks in the loop.

I used the super speed system and went from around 85 to just over 100 MPH. 

I also have worked on hip and shoulder mobility and have avoided any injuries

Titleist TSR2 Driver, Taylaor Made M5-3w, M6-3H,4H, Sim2 5-PW, Vokey SM9  50,54, 58 

I've used Super Speed for over a year and I picked up 5 mph.  For reference I'm 48 years old and this brought me back to a comfortable driver speed of 105ish.  My biggest taken away from the programm is just how many swings it takes to get warmed up.  Now before I play I usally bring the green stick with me and warm up quite a bit before my round. It's also made my swing speed more consistent instead of varying by 4 -6 mph per swing.  Now I do one of the protocols per week to maintain my speed.  Protcol 4 is my favorite one to do. 

Ping G410 LST

Taylormade Sim Rockect 3W

Ping G400 7W

Taylormade UDI 3i

Ping i230 5 - GW Power Spec

Ping Glide 4.0 54, 58

Ping Anser 2 Milled

2 hours ago, cthoma11 said:

I used the super speed system and went from around 85 to just over 100 MPH. 

I also have worked on hip and shoulder mobility and have avoided any injuries

Holy schnikes

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

17 hours ago, Dan Yates said:

The fact that you have to put maximum effort into your swing has helped me refine my timing and sequencing.  I noticed I had a tendency to slow down over a round, and that it would throw off my timing.  That has definitely improved.

I hurt my back muscles if I really go max effort with driver. And the swing probably isn't great. It's not horrible, not like an immediate twinge or something, and I can still play fine. But I know it's there and it doesn't go away for a week or something. So going max effort with a trainer would not work. For reference I'm in my early 40s and pretty healthy. 

So maybe I wouldn't go that max effort, just max without injury effort, lol. No 100% instantaneous fire muscles slam at the top of the backswing.

The Stack System worked well for me last year. I completed three programs over about six months and my speed increased from 92 mph to 103 mph. According to the app, my distance potential increased from 268 yards to 302 yards. In reality on the course I probably gained 20-25 yards. The app is well designed with useful tutorial videos including the warm-up video I use prior to a round. I had some reservations initially about the possibility of speed training adversely affecting my swing, but that was not the case. It helps with timing, sequencing, and self-organization. If you follow the program schedule, you will get good results. 

Edited by tmarkham

I went with the Stack System a year ago because of their app.  The ease of use to record your results was the big difference.  

Super Speed is supposed to be unveiling a similar app sometime later this year.

I gained 12 MPH of swing speed in the first two programs in about 4 months.  Then I got injured and took a break and now I’m back at it.

56 years old and hitting the ball better and further than ever.

Purchased the force pedals and Super Speed Squeeze products and just starting to get going with them.

Wish I had started swing speed training sooner than I did.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

I’m currently using the Rypstick: it’s helped me get back to my top end ballspeed. So I started about 12 -14 weeks ago, and I’m back at 170 ballspeed, from 160 before I started. 

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Posted (edited)

Alright guys, I got it in. Cool product (I bought the masters edition one with the green shaft) and the application is super easy and intuitive with embedded instructional video.

Process starts with an initial baseline test after a proper warmup (takes 5 min or so, and is in the app to follow). I'm using their radar, so I'm assuming it's fairly decent. My initial baseline was 110.

I went through the first workout, including warmup. This protocol includes freezers and lead heel lifts and the app tells you how many weights, which way to swing (dominant/non-dominant), and when to swing. Afterwards you do another baseline, which for me was 112. The app then locks the workout protocol for 48 hours until your next training day.

Finished my 2nd session today, which was the same protocols and weights as the first and baselined at 114, but had one swing at 118. I had already hit balls earlier today as well, so I wasn't super fresh. Anyway, I'm going to go take a shower but things looks promising thus far.

Screenshot_20240417_143016_Rypstick.jpg

Screenshot_20240417_143010_Rypstick.jpg

Edited by pgareject87
Pics

A couple of additional notes on my last post:

1. No back pain yet
  2. Definitely have some muscle fatigue, especially in the hips, glutes, and mid back. I sit a lot at work and don't workout regularly, so this is kind of expected.
  3. The protocols require coordination and the non-dominant swings feels pretty awkward.
  4. Something interesting is happening in my sequencing but can't put a finger on what it is quite yet.

On 4/20/2024 at 1:18 PM, lukafred said:

Unless you are able to hit balls several times a week, I just think it wreaks havoc on your swing. Took about a month break due to an elbow issue. During that month I struck the ball better than the prior month and a half when I was speed training. Figured it might just have been a swing tweak I was making that was causing the bad striking During speed training. Well, started back on the sticks this week...blue stick only method. Hit balls today and could barely find the face. I was dancing around the ball...all kinds of movement going on. Just don't think it's good unless you can hit balls often...probably right after your speed session.

Padraig Harrington does ok 🙂

Super Speed sticks arrive today.  I'm looking forward to beginning this journey, and I'm encouraged by those of you who say it actually can help sequencing.

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Brnr MINI Driver | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R, Rogue St Max 9 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 5-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: 
 default_cameron-small.gif.5602ddbf1b327f1a1ae042f1224b598e.gif Super Select Golo 6, 37" Matador large grip

I use the superspeed with the MLM2PRO and have went from 98-99 MPH to averaging 105-106.  I do the dynamic and level 2 warm ups before each range session or round of golf.  As others have mentioned I have been able to consistently maintain the same swing speed throughout the round.  

In My Bag

TM Qi10 Core, PX HZD Smoke Black, 6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 4-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB Prime 3.0 YELLOW