How Much Does Club Gapping Matter For Your Game?

Currently my bag is set up where I theoretically have some gapping holes, but it rarely is an actual issue on the course. I find I am rarely in a spot where I don't have the right club to hit a distance. I go from driver to 5 wood, then a 4 hybrid to a 6 iron, and have a 48 degree GW to a 56 SW. Between those gaps, I never really run into trouble. I hit the driver ~265-275 on average, 5 wood goes 225, 4 hybrid goes 205-215, 6 iron 195, and there hasn't been an issue at close approach shots where I can't hit a 1/2 to 3/4 swing for the GW or full SW and not reach. What are your thoughts on distance gapping? Anyone else not particularly bothered or is gapping important for building your bag?

Tim

PhD Candidate, MU

Driver: Titleist TSi3 

Wood: TaylorMade M4 5 wood

Hybrid: TaylorMade M2 4 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal 923

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 56, Vokey SM9 60

Putter: Axis1 Rose

Ball: TaylorMade TP5 Yellow

guess it depends on what is considered gapping.

knowing distance is important so that shot selection can be made.

Is it important to have a bag setup that allows the golfer to hit the shots they will need on a course or across various courses. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Much of this depends on where one plays and the conditions they face. I’d have huge issues with the set up you described where I currently live even if I played one course almost exclusively. Why? Wind - Florida has lots of it and since we can play year round the prevailing wind changes depending upon the season and times of day. You can easily see 5 clubs difference on your approach shot and many holes based on wind direction and time of year - I’d need a balanced set with even gapping,

However when I lived in Indiana I played 80 percent of my rounds at one course. My set up was much more about the shots that I needed to play that course. I actually gamed two drivers, a 5 wood, 7 wood, 4 iron to PW, SW, LW

It worked for that course - I had a 3 iron and 3 wood that would go in the bag if I traveled to other courses.

Generally speaking, gapping matters a lot - but also you need to game the set that will allow you the best chance to shoot a good score. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think if you play mostly the same course or something fairly similar your bag set up is probably just fine. 

However if you play a new course with more variation in length for drives, second shots or other conditions like fairway rollout or wind, etc.  You will likely find your stock yardages in your current bag may need to be more variable.  

So a properly gapped full bag will be easier to utilize and navigate on an unfamiliar difficult course or adverse weather conditions. 

As an example… On windy days I replace my 3 hybrid with a 2 driving iron.  I also sometimes take out my 3 wood and replace it with a 3 iron as well. Then I have lower flight on my non driver long clubs as opposed to more higher launching soft landing clubs. Then I benefit from more rollout and less wind issues. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

On 4/16/2024 at 11:45 AM, THuge said:

there hasn't been an issue at close approach shots where I can't hit a 1/2 to 3/4 swing for the GW or full SW and not reach.

16 hours ago, KC Golf said:

So a properly gapped full bag will be easier to utilize and navigate on an unfamiliar

When I bought new clubs, I did so specifically  because the PW was 43,  AW / 48, and prior I only had 56.  With more aggressive lofts as noted I then added a 52d, wedge which gave me coverage with full swing, for 135, 125, 110-115, 100, 85. (9I, PW, AW, 52, 56).   The loft which gave me 125 yards was missing in my prior set.  I found this troublesome as noted on unfamiliar courses, to navigate my drives to try and avoid the 125 yards distance, which I had no full swing for.

Our group tries to play at least 10 different courses a summer.

Additionally what distance would a 52 full swing go for you.  Theoretically should give you a full swing distance as opposed to half swing with GW, which in theory be more consistent than half swing. 

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV