What would you do?

revkev

Currently I have two sets of irons that I alternate between (I have 5 or 6 other ones, 3 of which are on permanent loan to sons and a friend).  I go through irons like most people go through putters or drivers. Honestly if I could play an entire set of woods with one wedge and a putter, I would. 

Heres my current dilemma - the two iron sets are both Players Distance clubs - Wilson D7 forged which are almost 5 years old and a less than a year old set of Srixon ZX 5’s. Both are very appealing in the bag and over the ball - my eyes are still the eyes of a player even if my game isn’t quite there anymore.

Both have the exact same lofts with the exception of the G and A wedges. Both gave Mamiya Recoils that weigh 65 grams although the Srixon version is the newer dart recoil. The shafts in the Wilson’s are 1/4 inch longer, generally though I grip down a bit on those. The biggest difference is swing weight, D3 for tote Wilson’s and C9 for the Srixons. 

when I take them to the range together and thinking about on the course I find that the Srixons are about 1/2 club longer and more forgiving but the dispersion pattern on the Wilsons is much tighter. I prefer the turf interaction of the Srixons but I do have trouble feeling the head and at times I feel as if I’m throwing the club head at the ball - something that my teacher does not like!!!!  BTW he also does not like the heavier feel of the Wilson’s, he’s a strong advocate for lighter is better even for his pros and collegiate players - I’m one of his few regular guy students. 

My guy is that I should be playing the Wilson’s and but the bullet and get the Srixon’s reshafted with something a bit heavier to see how that works. And yes I’ve tried the lead tape route but in the end it’s not the same as a different shaft. 

Forgetting about that last paragraph which set would you game and why? 

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

I'm going with the better dispersion - irons are scoring clubs, if they're tighter and are putting you in spots where you want to be, regardless if you need more club, to me that's the way to go. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

I’d take tighter dispersion.   But I am confused with what you want to accomplish with a heavier shaft.  You mention swingweight and a heavier shaft can influence swingweight but not sure it will make you feel the head more. .  What is the total weight comparison?  I’ve read that srixon heads can be on the lighter side so,while you have tried it, lead tap on the head would be my go to.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

I’d take tighter dispersion.   But I am confused with what you want to accomplish with a heavier shaft.  You mention swingweight and a heavier shaft can influence swingweight but not sure it will make you feel the head more. .  What is the total weight comparison?  I’ve read that srixon heads can be on the lighter side so,while you have tried it, lead tap on the head would be my go to.  

I’d have to check on the overall weight. Interestingly I just returned from the range and as is so often the case what I was perceiving isn’t necessarily true - in looking at the shot patterns from my LM, the dispersion is tighter with the Srixons, it’s just moved left of target as compared to the D7 forged - today I was nearly a club longer with them - I was carrying the Srixon 7 iron 152-158 and D7 forged 144-148.  I hit some Srixon 8 irons that carried 146 - all of those shots were with range balls - I heed to have the lies checked - they were ordered 2 flat be I’m wondering if they really are. I will do the credit card check when someone gets home to help 

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Pick the set you feel most comfortable with. Both are great clubs. You will learn to play well with either, but you have to commit. 

My buddy is a great putter. Bounced between 3 diff putters and wondered why he started to miss all his putts. I told him he couldn’t change for 6 months once he made a decision. That was 3 weeks ago. He hasn’t had a round with more than 30 putts since. You’re over thinking it, man. We aren’t pros. Pick a set and commit. You’ll be good. 

On 4/29/2024 at 9:28 AM, revkev said:

Currently I have two sets of irons that I alternate between (I have 5 or 6 other ones, 3 of which are on permanent loan to sons and a friend).  I go through irons like most people go through putters or drivers. Honestly if I could play an entire set of woods with one wedge and a putter, I would. 

Heres my current dilemma - the two iron sets are both Players Distance clubs - Wilson D7 forged which are almost 5 years old and a less than a year old set of Srixon ZX 5’s. Both are very appealing in the bag and over the ball - my eyes are still the eyes of a player even if my game isn’t quite there anymore.

Both have the exact same lofts with the exception of the G and A wedges. Both gave Mamiya Recoils that weigh 65 grams although the Srixon version is the newer dart recoil. The shafts in the Wilson’s are 1/4 inch longer, generally though I grip down a bit on those. The biggest difference is swing weight, D3 for tote Wilson’s and C9 for the Srixons. 

when I take them to the range together and thinking about on the course I find that the Srixons are about 1/2 club longer and more forgiving but the dispersion pattern on the Wilsons is much tighter. I prefer the turf interaction of the Srixons but I do have trouble feeling the head and at times I feel as if I’m throwing the club head at the ball - something that my teacher does not like!!!!  BTW he also does not like the heavier feel of the Wilson’s, he’s a strong advocate for lighter is better even for his pros and collegiate players - I’m one of his few regular guy students. 

My guy is that I should be playing the Wilson’s and but the bullet and get the Srixon’s reshafted with something a bit heavier to see how that works. And yes I’ve tried the lead tape route but in the end it’s not the same as a different shaft. 

Forgetting about that last paragraph which set would you game and why? 

Have you put lead tape on the shaft?

how big is the dispersion difference?

Shafts are a timing device and feel is very important. I would look at face contact on both sets, if possible compare launch monitor data for dynamic loft, face angle, face to path, path, launch angle, spin and descent angle to see if there are any differences in the swing caused by the different shaft/head combos. 

At the end of the day it going to come down to what set gives you the enjoyment of playing and helps you shoot lower scores.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Have you put lead tape on the shaft?

how big is the dispersion difference?

Shafts are a timing device and feel is very important. I would look at face contact on both sets, if possible compare launch monitor data for dynamic loft, face angle, face to path, path, launch angle, spin and descent angle to see if there are any differences in the swing caused by the different shaft/head combos. 

At the end of the day it going to come down to what set gives you the enjoyment of playing and helps you shoot lower scores.

Thanks - I actually discovered that the dispersion patterns between the two are similar - it’s just that the Srixons pattern is left and longer and left of target rather than around the target that is 7 rads shorter with 8 iron. Since it’s my Voice Caddie 4 with range balls I don’t have all the data points that I’d like and spin rates are suspect. I have a lightly higher launch rate, ball speed and less spin with the srixons as well as a bit more draw tilt. If I can ever get my work schedule under control I will rent some time on a bonfire launch matter to see exactly what’s going on.

I have not tried lead tape on the shaft - ever - where would I put it and how much?  Sounds like a fun experiment. 

BTW the lie does seem accurate - the offset is a tad more on the Srixons which could account for the pattern shifting left. I was able to adjust on the range and started hitting a series of very impressive (for me) 7 irons, high draw after draw on target - 160-165 with a little roll out. That is extremely long for me, like a 20 year roll back on distance. (Of course my current 7 iron is stronger than the Ping Eye 2 6 that I gamed then.)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, revkev said:

Thanks - I actually discovered that the dispersion patterns between the two are similar - it’s just that the Srixons pattern is left and longer and left of target rather than around the target that is 7 rads shorter with 8 iron. Since it’s my Voice Caddie 4 with range balls I don’t have all the data points that I’d like and spin rates are suspect. I have a lightly higher launch rate, ball speed and less spin with the srixons as well as a bit more draw tilt. If I can ever get my work schedule under control I will rent some time on a bonfire launch matter to see exactly what’s going on.

I have not tried lead tape on the shaft - ever - where would I put it and how much?  Sounds like a fun experiment. 

BTW the lie does seem accurate - the offset is a tad more on the Srixons which could account for the pattern shifting left. I was able to adjust on the range and started hitting a series of very impressive (for me) 7 irons, high draw after draw on target - 160-165 with a little roll out. That is extremely long for me, like a 20 year roll back on distance. (Of course my current 7 iron is stronger than the Ping Eye 2 6 that I gamed then.)

Like with lead tape on the head the amount is determined by feel and results.

Go to the point that it’s too much then start working back. Middle of the shaft. Put the middle to the lead tape on the middle point of the shaft And on the under side of the shaft

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 5/1/2024 at 8:16 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Like with lead tape on the head the amount is determined by feel and results.

Go to the point that it’s too much then start working back. Middle of the shaft. Put the middle to the lead tape on the middle point of the shaft And on the under side of the shaft

Thanks! 

I might suggest choosing a set based on the course you're playing that day. If you need the length, go with the Srixons. If you're playing a course with narrow fairways and little room for error, go with Wilson. 

Would you ever consider mixing the sets?