Ready Golf - The New Norm?

12 minutes ago, Preeway said:

For the average golfer, I truly believe they can play faster walking than riding. The only to guarantee carts ensure faster play is to give every golfer their own cart. And no club has the space to store that many carts.  

That's likely course specific. Some have a bit of a walk between holes (mine is kind of long on some holes). What needs to happen is better education on how to have two players use one cart (i.e. drive to your ball after the first person grabs a club, pick them up after you hit).

Edited by jared52

Callaway Epic Speed Driver, Ping G410 3W, PXG 0311 XF 19* hybrid, 4-AW Callaway Mavrik, 56* Callaway Jaws Raw Chrome, Odyssey White Hot OG WS-1

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

That's likely course specific. Some have a bit of a walk between holes (mine is kind of long on some holes). What needs to happen is better education on how to have two players use one cart (i.e. drive to your ball after the first person grabs a club, pick them up after you hit).

I’ll give you that to a small degree. There is a course here with a few long walks between holes due to the course being tucked into a housing development. And by long walk I mean in excess of 100 yards from green to tee. One hole is closer to 200 yards. I have walked this course with others riding and those are the only times they were waiting for me. And even that was a very short wait while I caught my breath before hitting. The rest of the round I was always waiting for them. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+

When I go to the club on weekends, it's to have dinner with my wife and sometimes friends, not to play golf.  Sometimes I'll go in the daytime to read the paper, catch some sun, and have a couple of drinks on the deck.  The course is crowded with players, but I'm not one of them.

When my friends and I play, it's on weekdays, the course is not crowded, we're riding, and the rounds don't take excessively long.  I don't think that we're particularly slow at all, to be honest,  but that's not the point.  The point is that we can play in order, the way we like to play, thy way the etiquette of golf always used to stipulate, and nobody complains about it.  

I'll admit it.  We don't like rushing or playing out of order, and nobody is urging us to do so.
If I suddenly couldn't play golf the way I enjoy playing, I'd know that the time had finally come to give up golf.   

The typical age of the weekday golfers is not young, and the typical disposition of these long time members is to not tolerate being bullied by younger members.  Happily, however, it just doesn't happen.  I'm unaware of anybody complaining about anything.   

Further, the club is not member owned, and the senior members are on much closer terms to the owner than the kids are.  Everything is fine.  There's not much grumbling, and I wish the same kind of harmony to you and your favorite place to play.  If you want to finish in three hours, however, you were wise to choose another venue.

1 hour ago, Preeway said:

For the average golfer, I truly believe they can play faster walking than riding. The only to guarantee carts ensure faster play is to give every golfer their own cart. And no club has the space to store that many carts.  

Just teach them basic course etiquette and how to drop off a golfer at their ball then the person driving goes to theirs.

Person dropped off at their ball takes a few clubs to deal with a good or bad shot and they walk to their ball and ready to hit, worse case their partner is driving over for them to get a club.

I’ve seen plenty of walkers stop and wait for a person to hit before going to their ball rather than walk out of the way so not to distract 

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Just teach them basic course etiquette and how to drop off a golfer at their ball then the person driving goes to theirs.

Person dropped off at their ball takes a few clubs to deal with a good or bad shot and they walk to their ball and ready to hit, worse case their partner is driving over for them to get a club.

I’ve seen plenty of walkers stop and wait for a person to hit before going to their ball rather than walk out of the way so not to distract 

I get your gist but I’m gonna disagree. It’s kind of like saying just teach kids how to use a condom and we won’t have teenage pregnancies anymore. The knowledge of how to play faster only works if the people actually give a damn and want to play faster. I was taught at a young age how to play at a proper pace so it’s second nature. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

7 hours ago, Preeway said:

I agree. We've walked 13 times this year with pushcarts. We go to our own ball, I've taken charge of my own game because I don't get input from my husband if I'm away from him with my cart/ball, and my own course management is much better. 

To top it off, I've lost 4 lbs. 😉 

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

12 minutes ago, TriciaPug said:

I agree. We've walked 13 times this year with pushcarts. We go to our own ball, I've taken charge of my own game because I don't get input from my husband if I'm away from him with my cart/ball, and my own course management is much better. 

To top it off, I've lost 4 lbs. 😉 

Good for you! I've lost weight too. Unfortunately,  it's because I emptied my golf bag!

Walking is definitely better, though after 16 holes walking uphill both ways, those last few swings are an exercise in determination!😅

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

1 hour ago, GolferXY said:

Good for you! I've lost weight too. Unfortunately,  it's because I emptied my golf bag!

Walking is definitely better, though after 16 holes walking uphill both ways, those last few swings are an exercise in determination!😅

There are courses out here in the mountains that I won't walk. But there are also some walk friendly places. 

On our local course where we walk 100% of the time is nicely walkable with pushcarts but there are two hills that feel a little rough depending on how hot it is. 

We are in the middle of a bit of a heat wave here,  100º forecasted today, but it was only 98º. 

When we were done, we were at our car taking our shoes off to put sandals on and the group that was in carts behind us stopped to chat in the parking lot a minute. They were complimenting us on our pace of play and fortitude to walk in the heat..... but its a dry heat

Keeps me humble. 😉 

Edited by TriciaPug

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

9 hours ago, Preeway said:

I get your gist but I’m gonna disagree. It’s kind of like saying just teach kids how to use a condom and we won’t have teenage pregnancies anymore. The knowledge of how to play faster only works if the people actually give a damn and want to play faster. I was taught at a young age how to play at a proper pace so it’s second nature. 

The bold part is what it’s all about. Saying make everyone walk when they first start playing isn’t going to change anything if they don’t want to learn how to walk to their ball without stopping for others, or to just lolly gag around. Just like saying drop your partner off and go to your ball when using a golf cart won’t fix anything if they don’t care.

It’s about the attitude, mentality of the golfer and whether they care to play at a proper pace or be slow. It has nothing to do with what handicap the golfer has, how long they been playing, their age or whatever else people in here want to claim is the reason other than proper etiquette and caring.

Slow golfers are going to be slow no matter what until they learn how not to be slow. You don’t actually disagree because the bold part is what I’ve been saying so you agree with me. 

7 hours ago, TriciaPug said:

There are courses out here in the mountains that I won't walk. But there are also some walk friendly places

It’s the same where im at. If I play in the western part of the state its courses with elevation changes some with long distances between green and next tee box. While there are other courses in the area that are walker friendly. I’m also not going to walk in the middle of the day in the summer. 

There are many aspects to this. Other things being equal, better golfers will play at a faster pace, because poor golfers will be hitting more shots into penalty areas that require looking for their balls, will be topping more shots which means you have to wait for them to hit two shots before they are away instead of one, will be taking more shots to pitch or chip up on the greens, etc. Then there is the ready golf habits that people can and should do, especially things like getting prepared for your shot while your partner is playing theirs, not taking a long time to look for your ball, etc.

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The bold part is what it’s all about. Saying make everyone walk when they first start playing isn’t going to change anything if they don’t want to learn how to walk to their ball without stopping for others, or to just lolly gag around. Just like saying drop your partner off and go to your ball when using a golf cart won’t fix anything if they don’t care.

It’s about the attitude, mentality of the golfer and whether they care to play at a proper pace or be slow. It has nothing to do with what handicap the golfer has, how long they been playing, their age or whatever else people in here want to claim is the reason other than proper etiquette and caring.

Slow golfers are going to be slow no matter what until they learn how not to be slow. You don’t actually disagree because the bold part is what I’ve been saying so you agree with me. 

This may not be the most popular comment I’ve ever made, but I do believe this is in part to blame on the YouTube craze. People watch all the social media guys, and gals, act like clowns or otherwise goof around and then go out and play with the same mindset. Not saying this is everyone, because it isn’t, but it’s out there in a pervasive way. And it seems like people who are new to the game have been turned on to golf through social media. Not trying to say this is the only reason for slow play but it does seem to have its negative influences. 

7 minutes ago, Preeway said:

This may not be the most popular comment I’ve ever made, but I do believe this is in part to blame on the YouTube craze. People watch all the social media guys, and gals, act like clowns or otherwise goof around and then go out and play with the same mindset. Not saying this is everyone, because it isn’t, but it’s out there in a pervasive way. And it seems like people who are new to the game have been turned on to golf through social media. Not trying to say this is the only reason for slow play but it does seem to have its negative influences. 

I will add to your post and also give a disclaimer that this comment may not be popular. However, I feel strongly that it needs to be stated. It’s not just new or younger golfers. I see it in our 55 plus community. The game is supposed to be played by ladies and gentlemen with etiquette and integrity. We are supposed to call penalties on ourselves when appropriate. We are supposed to be competitive, but sportsmen. Instead I see people trying to bend rules. Rude or inappropriate behavior. As far as slow play, like a reflection of society people just don’t care. The old I got mine attitude. It degrades the game. Takes away the integrity and makes golf just another thing we have managed to degrade. Golf is meant to be above that, or that’s how I see it. It’s about fun, respect and personal responsibility. When I was a kid my father introduced me to the greatest game in the world. It taught me lessons good and bad. However, it always exposes one’s character and make up. I hope we can get the game and those that play it back on track. I’m now off the soap box.  

Play like a champion today!

13 minutes ago, Javs said:

I will add to your post and also give a disclaimer that this comment may not be popular. However, I feel strongly that it needs to be stated. It’s not just new or younger golfers. I see it in our 55 plus community. The game is supposed to be played by ladies and gentlemen with etiquette and integrity. We are supposed to call penalties on ourselves when appropriate. We are supposed to be competitive, but sportsmen. Instead I see people trying to bend rules. Rude or inappropriate behavior. As far as slow play, like a reflection of society people just don’t care. The old I got mine attitude. It degrades the game. Takes away the integrity and makes golf just another thing we have managed to degrade. Golf is meant to be above that, or that’s how I see it. It’s about fun, respect and personal responsibility. When I was a kid my father introduced me to the greatest game in the world. It taught me lessons good and bad. However, it always exposes one’s character and make up. I hope we can get the game and those that play it back on track. I’m now off the soap box.  

I disagree with not a single thing mentioned above. 
All of it is, from my perspective, unquestionably valid.

However, I would add this.
Look at what memberships or green fees cost today.
A new set of pro shop clubs costs four grand.
Many golf courses in highly populated areas of the nation are gone because the real estate was simply worth too much as house lots.

The economy expansion of the Post WWII era when golf exploded and stopped being a primarily wealthy person's sport could be becoming a thing of memory.  It's become less affordable for broader portions of the population, it would seem. It's clearly that way here in the Northeast.  Our own RevKev mentioned how expensive golf is in Connecticut, for example.

People paying serious money for their recreation and entertainment want to enjoy them on their own terms.  They don't want to hear about tradition, propriety, or decorum when such things don't conform with exactly what they want to do.  Further, the providers of that recreation and entertainment depend on the money of these patrons.  

On the opposite side of the coin, there will always be people who are attracted to golf specifically because of that tradition, propriety, and decorum.  It's an enigma.

I don't know the answer, but perhaps one will reveal itself.
I'm fortunate to play somewhere where a lot of angst has yet to manifest itself.

1 hour ago, Javs said:

The game is supposed to be played by ladies and gentlemen with etiquette and integrity. We are supposed to call penalties on ourselves when appropriate. We are supposed to be competitive, but sportsmen. Instead I see people trying to bend rules. Rude or inappropriate behavior. As far as slow play, like a reflection of society people just don’t care. The old I got mine attitude. It degrades the game.

31 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

People paying serious money for their recreation and entertainment want to enjoy them on their own terms. 

... I have said this many times but most everything in life comes down to one simple statement. People are either considerate or inconsiderate. Considerate people in all walks of life are aware there are others involved in most everything we do around others like dining and having a respectful conversation at a nice restaurant not a drunken shouting match. Drivers either stop and wave someone into traffic or hug the front bumper not allowing someone at the mercy of heavy traffic to join in. And when sharing a golf course with others, they are aware of their pace of play, music level and respect for the course repairing their ball mark and any others they see while the inconsiderate could care less about anyone else blaring music, drinking to excess and never repairing anything.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have said this many times but most everything in life comes down to one simple statement. People are either considerate or inconsiderate. Considerate people in all walks of life are aware there are others involved in most everything we do around others like dining and having a respectful conversation at a nice restaurant not a drunken shouting match. Drivers either stop and wave someone into traffic or hug the front bumper not allowing someone at the mercy of heavy traffic to join in. And when sharing a golf course with others, they are aware of their pace of play, music level and respect for the course repairing their ball mark and any others they see while the inconsiderate could care less about anyone else blaring music, drinking to excess and never repairing anything.

Today’s wise words, brought to you by @chisag 

Hit the nail on the head!

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Guy in my group yesterday said "I play ready golf" on the 2nd green. He was in a cart and I was walking. The next hole, guy pulled out a ball grabber and was fishing out balls from the water and on every hole with water after that. He would start having conversations instead of teeing off or hitting his ball. Generally standing there looking around when he was away on the green. Oh man, we could have been done 30 minutes faster without Mr. Ready Golf. LOL. People are just so oblivious sometimes.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 8* w/Tensei AV White 65-S

Callaway Superhybrid 3 17* and 4 20* w/Steelfiber 75 FC

Ping i2305 4-PW w/DG 105g

TaylorMade MG3 50/54/58 wedges w/DG S200

Odyssey Number 10 Slant Neck

Maxfli Tour Ball

3 hours ago, Preeway said:

I agree the covid boom of new golfers who tend to play with their buddies who are new to the game and have nobody to show them course etiquette and how to play proper pace or learn course management skills. Along with those who want to be like the YouTube sensations and tricksters all play a role in it. But they are only part of the problem as many who have been around the game for awhile are just as bad. We had one guy on our large group who was slow and remained slow no matter how many in the overall group got on him about it. He played the courses multiple times a week so it wasn’t even from being unfamiliar with the course.

until people want to care about playing at a proper pace there’s going to be slow play and golfers who get frustrated from it. It’s why I don’t play at any course that doesn’t have or doesn’t enforce a pace of play policy. Unfortunately sometimes the Marshalls at those courses don’t understand what’s going on and can’t fix slow play

I've repeated this exact sentiment about social media golf a bunch!

Let's watch the early GG and BDS videos as an example

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

We were playing golf at my club last weekend. The group in front of us was tools behind. When they were on the tee I drove up and asked them nicely if they could please ask the group in front of them to speed up because play was very slow. They appeared very confused. Two holes later we asked them if they could speed up. They shouted obscenities at us. They did not speed up. After the round as I entered the clubhouse one of them confronted me at the door and started yelling at me. I told him that there was no reason to shout obscenities and turned and left. He continued to shout obscenities in the bar at the club. I told him there was a nice public golf course just down the road that would welcome him. Again he did not seem to understand.

I hate Golf and Golf hates me. I keep playing for the feeling of the well struck shot that actually does what I want it to!

2 hours ago, The 300 year old golfer said:

We were playing golf at my club last weekend. The group in front of us was tools behind. When they were on the tee I drove up and asked them nicely if they could please ask the group in front of them to speed up because play was very slow. They appeared very confused. Two holes later we asked them if they could speed up. They shouted obscenities at us. They did not speed up. After the round as I entered the clubhouse one of them confronted me at the door and started yelling at me. I told him that there was no reason to shout obscenities and turned and left. He continued to shout obscenities in the bar at the club. I told him there was a nice public golf course just down the road that would welcome him. Again he did not seem to understand.

You just reinforced the point I and others made earlier.  Sorry you had to run into those jack asses. Glad I want there or my military mindset might have come out. Good on you for keeping a level head. I might not have been that calm. 

@Preeway, @Javs, @chisag, @RickyBobby_PR, @The 300 year old golfer ...

I appreciate everything you guys said .. it makes me think of that saying...

"Golf reflects life."

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

I think ready golf is a good concept but…. When you have an 8some in front of the group in front of you making them wait is ridiculous, they finished the hole and just hung out bull $h!tting on the fringe was horrible.

Even when I would walk in a foursome, we always kept pace if not setting a good pace.

20240612_121233_Original.jpeg

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

2 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

I think ready golf is a good concept but…. When you have an 8some in front of the group in front of you making them wait is ridiculous, they finished the hole and just hung out bull $h!tting on the fringe was horrible.

Even when I would walk in a foursome, we always kept pace if not setting a good pace.

20240612_121233_Original.jpeg

An 8 group?  Holy cow

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

@Preeway, @Javs, @chisag, @RickyBobby_PR, @The 300 year old golfer ...

I appreciate everything you guys said .. it makes me think of that saying...

"Golf reflects life."

Perfectly stated! A man exposes his true character in a 4 hour round of golf!

5 hours ago, Javs said:

Perfectly stated! A man exposes his true character in a 4 hour round of golf!

Yep. Those who will cheat to shoot a lower score or win a few dollars. Break a rules when it convenient again for score.

a lot is revealed about a person pretty quickly when faced with some kind of adversity on the course