3 Wood Versus 5 Wood

gkcapers

I am curious if many golfers are replacing their 3 wood with a 5 wood.  I struggle to consistently hit my 3 wood off the fairway and I feel more comfortable/consistent hitting my 5 wood.  Last year I removed my 3 wood and now use my 5 wood as my “go to” fairway wood.  Do you carry and use a 3 wood?

Cobra LTDX driver, Calloway Apex irons (6-AW), TSi2 3 wood, M6 5 wood, M2 hybrids (4,5), Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

I swapped it out, 

But grip down before you give up on the 3w if you need the distance (for longer courses)

For me 5 wood and 7 wood interchange depending on the length of the course. 

I'm finding 7w used more lately, even have a 9 wood now to reduce roll-out when going for a green.

I think I was only using 3 wood once or twice a round at best, some times not at all.

WITB

Cobra F9 driver

Adams golf 2 hybrid

Mizuno 9 wood

Titleist 818 5 hybrid

Callaway x-14 6i - PW

Pron Wedges 52, 56, 60

Seemore putter

Posted (edited)

I carry a 3, 5, and 7-wood now, but I rarely hit the 3-wood off the deck unless the lie is perfect. It's for steer-job, tee shots on tight holes.

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag includes;

DRIVER: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
FAIRWAYS: :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv, R-Flex and :macgregor-small: 21*,
UST DHI dRVR, R-Flex
IRONS: New Level  623-CB, 5-PW, :projectx: IO, 5.5 R+Flex
WEDGES: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, :truetemper: Dynamic Gold W-Flex 

PUTTER: Ray Cook Blue Goose 
GRIPS: Lamkin Crossline (irons), Lamkin UTx (wedges), Golf Pride Z-Cord & MCC (woods)

BALL: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

More loft make sit easier to hit especially for those with slower swing speeds. 

Removing a 3w for something with more loft will make the game easier for most golfers and they won’t sacrifice much distance because the consistency of contact with the 4 or 5 wood will benefit the ball flight 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I tried a 5W and still have it.  In the bag is a 4W.  Off the tee it is much better for me than the 5W as the 5W off the tee was way too high.  Off the deck it’s easier to hit the 5.  With the 4W when I choke up a little things are OK.  If I don’t choke up, I can pull it low left or if I hit it higher it’s a slight push fade.  I don’t know why 2 degrees of loft and a 1/2” makes that big a difference.  I have a 3H that is good to me and it’s about the same distance as the 5W.  Off the tee I can hit it low with run or high.  I think the shorter shaft helps my contact.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

I took out my 3 wood a couple of seasons ago and changed to 5-wood (turned down to 17.5°) and have no regrets whatsoever. I don't get quite as much distance when I flush it but I hit the 5-wood consistently where the 3-wood was hit or miss.  Love it!

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

I play a 3w & 5w currently, but that may change to the point I add a 7w or 9w to the list. I hit my 3w all the time, both on the tee and off the deck. I find myself being a bit rare in the fact I love my 3w and hit it well 90% of the time. The other 10% if typically a top or thin.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

I bailed on the 3-wood before last season.  I sold the damn thing to take the temptation out of the bag!  I've gone to a 5-wood turned down a degree that goes nearly as far with much more control and a 7 wood with a 5-wood length shaft.

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

Posted (edited)

I have the 13.5* mini driver (my 3 wood )and a 5 (18*)&7 (21*)wood . I can hit the mini off the deck with a decent lie and it’s even better off the tee ,so  do I don’t need a 3 wood . At my home course the 5&7 woods get me home on the par 5’s for the most part .

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I have a 3 wood turned up to 16.5 degrees, so it's more like a 4 wood. I do not currently carry a 5 wood because for me, it doesn't make much sense gap wise. I will say that the 3 wood is the club that I struggle with the most in my bag. At first it was just striking in general. Now I overcook the draw on it pretty consistently. I don't want to call it a hook just yet. But man, is it left. I get plenty of distance out of it. I'm currently toying with the idea of turning it back into a 3 wood and putting a 5 wood in the bag. I just haven't run into many situations where I needed it. But, in my humble little opinion, it is the most difficult club to get the hang of. 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

Taylormade sim 4hybrid through PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

I just got a Cobra Darkspeed Max and this is so easy to hit off the deck and the distance is much better than I anticipated. I'm now curious about the darkspeed hybrids 

Driver:  :ping-small: G430 Max 10 w/ VA Composites Nemesys 45

3W: :cobra-small: Darkspeed Max w/UST Mamiya LIN-Q-M40X Red

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60 

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: i530 5-PW w/ :Fuji: AXIOM 75 shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

Puter: 😍 :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

For years I had both in my bag which made decision making much harder. Midway through last season I decided to take my 3 wood out after a suggestion from a friend and haven’t looked back! I love having the higher loft on my 5 wood which makes it much more consistent. Plus, for the course I play at, driver compared with 3 wood vs 5 wood isn’t a huge difference in ball placement off the tee. That being said, I still have my 4 hybrid in my bag (instead of my 3) as the wood doesn’t help me anywhere expect off the tee. 

Cheers,

Wepps

On 5/10/2024 at 6:22 PM, gkcapers said:

I am curious if many golfers are replacing their 3 wood with a 5 wood.  I struggle to consistently hit my 3 wood off the fairway and I feel more comfortable/consistent hitting my 5 wood.  Last year I removed my 3 wood and now use my 5 wood as my “go to” fairway wood.  Do you carry and use a 3 wood?

I do not. 
My five-wood is 18º. 
I'm not going to hit anything stronger than that off the deck.
For every heroic shot, I'd hit three crappy ones.

My driver, however...a new BRNR...is for all intents and purposes a 2-wood.

I have a 3 wood that is adjusted to one notch of more loft and a 5 wood that replaced my 3 hybrid.  I can get about 15 more yards with the 3 wood off the fairway.  Consistency between 2 clubs close, so I use 3 wood more often on the fairway.  In the rough I use the 5 wood as it is much harder to hit from the rough with the less lofted 3 wood.

6 minutes ago, JRCorb said:

I have a 3 wood that is adjusted to one notch of more loft and a 5 wood that replaced my 3 hybrid.  I can get about 15 more yards with the 3 wood off the fairway.  Consistency between 2 clubs close, so I use 3 wood more often on the fairway.  In the rough I use the 5 wood as it is much harder to hit from the rough with the less lofted 3 wood.

The original TaylorMade Pittsburgh Persimmon 3-wood had 17° of loft, and while I could hit it off the deck, it was hardly automatic like the 20º 4-wood or 23º 5-wood back then. Those old wooden club lofts on metalwoods didn't last very long, as we of course know.  Young people probably don't believe that they ever existed.

The modern 15º 3-wood, although laden with helpful tech, is not a useable fairway club for me at this stage of my game.

No 3W for me.  I carry a 16.5 “4-wood” instead, although I generally hit my 19 degree hybrid for shots of 180+ yds.  Thinking about switching to an 18 degree 5-wood, but afraid to lose the hybrid consistency.

Titleist TSR1 Driver @ 10.5

Titleist TSR1 FW @ 16.5

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 19

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 24

Titleist T300: 6-U

Titleist SM9: 52, 56, 60

Cleveland 2 Smart Square Putter

43 minutes ago, MN Loon said:

No 3W for me.  I carry a 16.5 “4-wood” instead, although I generally hit my 19 degree hybrid for shots of 180+ yds.  Thinking about switching to an 18 degree 5-wood, but afraid to lose the hybrid consistency.

I don't think you'll get the same distance gapping going to an 18º fairway wood from a  shorter-shafted 19º hybrid.  It would be too close to the four-wood, I'm guessing.

I guess you can't know for sure until you try, but you seem to be doing well with what you're hitting now.

22 hours ago, Haile said:

I have a 3 wood turned up to 16.5 degrees, so it's more like a 4 wood. I do not currently carry a 5 wood because for me, it doesn't make much sense gap wise. I will say that the 3 wood is the club that I struggle with the most in my bag. At first it was just striking in general. Now I overcook the draw on it pretty consistently. I don't want to call it a hook just yet. But man, is it left. I get plenty of distance out of it. I'm currently toying with the idea of turning it back into a 3 wood and putting a 5 wood in the bag. I just haven't run into many situations where I needed it. But, in my humble little opinion, it is the most difficult club to get the hang of. 

Adding loft theoretically closes the clubface a bit which could be the cause of the draw. It might be worth exploring buying a 16.5 lofted fairway would straighten you out. I currently use a 16.5 and 20.5 fairway and the gapping works out for me.

35 minutes ago, hkim said:

Adding loft theoretically closes the clubface a bit which could be the cause of the draw. It might be worth exploring buying a 16.5 lofted fairway would straighten you out. I currently use a 16.5 and 20.5 fairway and the gapping works out for me.

My 3 wood will go down as far as 14.5 I think being that it's adjustable. I still have to toy around with it. Part of the overdrawing is my swing. I make a hard left turn and tend to have a very closed face. I'm working on it. But if it works out after I turn it back down, then adding a 5 wood could probably make sense. But, just gotta play around with things and find out what works best. My 4 hybrid is 205-210 on just about every swing. The 3 wood is around 235 on a good swing. 240 flushed. Hit softly I can get 225 out of it as it sits. So I'm only looking at a 15 to 20 yard gap on soft hits. So that's I why I say it doesn't make a ton of sense to add a 5 wood as it sits. Who knows though, I may add a 5 wood, find it's much easier to hit and just forget about the 3 wood unless I'm trying to make a long par 5 in two. The process is where the fun is at for me.

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

Taylormade sim 4hybrid through PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

I have a 3-wood in the bag, but I mostly use it as a back up driver for when it misbehaves for me. I tend to hit my utility iron (which I also use off the tee) more from longer distances out off the deck.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max D, 9.0 Degrees

Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline, 15 Degrees

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP-H5 2-Iron 18 Degrees

Irons: Cobra LTDx, 5-GW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50, 54 bent to 55, 60)

Putter: LeanLock APA Model Blade/Yes Marilyn C-Groove

Currently Reviewing: Byrdie Golf Design

Past Reviews: Titleist White Box and Lean Lock Putter

Interesting topic.   I have a 3 and 5 wood.  I am pretty discriminant about when I use the 3 wood---tee box, fairway when I am way far out on a very long Par 5 or if I didn't get what I should have gotten from the driver.   The 3 wood is just too difficult to hold a green if I hit it so I have to be short of the green and bounce up and on.   I guess I am fortunate to not see that often.   The 5 wood is just more effective for me for holding a green.  Last week I had 235 to the center of the green and I hit the front, bounced 2x and I was putting for eagle.   A couple holes later I used the 3 wood from the tee to play short of a pond at 265 and it worked beautifully.   

I have always struggled with certainty with these longer clubs.   I used to have a 3 wood and a heaven wood.  I got an iCrossover and didn't use the heaven wood as much and thought the 5 wood would have me a little more and it has.  Now I sometimes wonder if I would be a little better off with a 4 wood and a 7 wood or would that overlap with the iCrossover (or is it another option for a different shot at a similar distance).  I don't know, but I feel fortunate to see these issues as the problems I need to find answers for.   I need counsel.

• Driver- image.png.e24a2409101bd1ac07c78edcf8303773.png G430 Max 10K -9* -Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6-X 
  • Fairway - -:titleist-small: TSr2 15*  3 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • Fairway - image.png.48336341476630da4be4ad7cac012b8a.png- TSr2 18*  5 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • UDI- :ping-small:- iCrossover Utility Driving 3 iron Project X HZRDUS Red 6.0 sometimes  :Sub70: -699 Pro 4 -22* Driving Iron UST Proforce V2 Stiff
  • Irons- :srixon-small:- ZX4 MK II 5-7, Srixon ZX5 8-P Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 X-Stiff
  • Wedges-  :cleveland-small:- RTX Zip Core 50*, 54* Nippon Modus 3 Wedge, 58* True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
  • Putter- :EVNROLL: - ER5v Short Slant
  • Ball-  Bridgestone Tour B X
  • Bag- :ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag
  • Cliq Gear 4.0 push cart

Thanks for your insight. There have been lots of interesting discussions on the topic.  I personally am very happy with my choice to game my 5 wood and new 7 wood after removing my 3 wood.  Happy golfing!

Cobra LTDX driver, Calloway Apex irons (6-AW), TSi2 3 wood, M6 5 wood, M2 hybrids (4,5), Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

Off the deck I carry my 3 wood about 5 -7 yards farther than my 5 wood. It’s not a club I have 100% faith in off the deck. 3  wood rolls out more, but really I use it off the tee when Driver is on timeout or the ball cannot move right. Really the only time I’m going to hit a 3 wood off the deck is a scramble, or maybe while I’m on vacation playing at sea level. Some would argue that having a club be that specific is wasting a spot in your bag, but it depends on your setup, what shots you tend to leave yourself, and of course how far you hit your Driver and your longest iron/hybrid. 

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Just this year, I started wondering why I have a 3-metal in my bag.  It is more inconsistent than my 5-metal.  Also, may be because of confidence, I get more distance from my 5-metal.  I have thought about changing the club setting to something more like a 4-metal.  However, I have not tried that adjustment on the practice range yet.

I swapped out the 3W for the 5W ... 5w is easier to hit lost little distance but make better contact

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag