Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

In Search of a New Putter

TCUfrog

After a brutal up and down of a year with the putter, I'm officially on the hunt for something new. I've had the Odyssey White Hot OG 7 for the last 2 1/2 years. Recently switched back to the Taylormade Spider Mini, but seem to have just lost confidence over the ball. Anyone have any recommendations on new putters to try or hunt down? Have always been more of a mallet player, but may need to go to a blade.

:taylormade-small: Qi10, Kai'ali White 6-X

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim2 3 Hybrid and 4 Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 5-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 50, 54, 58, SB - Black

:bettinardi-small: Queen B #6

Vice Golf Pro Plus

Currently Testing: T Squared TS-912 Putter 

10 minutes ago, TCUfrog said:

After a brutal up and down of a year with the putter, I'm officially on the hunt for something new. I've had the Odyssey White Hot OG 7 for the last 2 1/2 years. Recently switched back to the Taylormade Spider Mini, but seem to have just lost confidence over the ball. Anyone have any recommendations on new putters to try or hunt down? Have always been more of a mallet player, but may need to go to a blade.

If you just want a different look, it really shouldn’t matter what putter you should go with especially since we know nothing about your stroke or what created the loss of confidence.   Picking a putter out of the air, the popular new putter would be something from LAB.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If you just want a different look, it really shouldn’t matter what putter you should go with especially since we know nothing about your stroke or what created the loss of confidence.   Picking a putter out of the air, the popular new putter would be something from LAB.  

Yeah more so looking for any recommendations on putters that people have recently switched to or had success with. Obviously with a putter getting fitted and personal feel is a large piece of the picture, but looking for some to start with.

Vice Golf Pro Plus

Many years ago, I paid the then princely sum of seventy-five dollars for a Ram Zebra putter.

Today, I'm playing a Ping DS72 which is ALSO a face-balanced, non-offset mallet.
When I found my putter style, it never changed over decades.

I'm not sure if that's what works for everybody, however.

in flux

30 minutes ago, TCUfrog said:

Yeah more so looking for any recommendations on putters that people have recently switched to or had success with. Obviously with a putter getting fitted and personal feel is a large piece of the picture, but looking for some to start with.

If you are going to go get fit the just do that.   I think a lot just comes down to focusing on skill development.  Get a new putter and we focus on it for a little while and then go back to our norm.

with regard to putters.    I like my Sacks Parente putter becuase e I aim it really well.I also like 7 style putters, LAB putters,, and Spiders.  For in between double wides are good for someone that wants a blade/mallet look.   I like Seemore putters because they help with setup.   I like bade style as well.   I  liked the Lazarus putter that was in the MGS mallet testing even though it finished last.    All of that to say in general I don’t think any putter is technically better than any other and it comes down to how It helps you aim the putter and start the ball where you are aimed.  

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Buy used off the internet until you regain some confidence in your stroke;  I like either my very old BullsEye or Otey Crissman putters,

take time to find your stroke and confidence - the hole isn't moving so maybe you can work on improving your "reads".   Good luck !

Retired Engineer & Club Builder

6 hours ago, TCUfrog said:

You need to try a LAB putter to at the very least just try it. Also I would highly recommend looking at RUNNER or doing a full Edel fitting. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Just now, GolfSpy_APH said:

You need to try a LAB putter to at the very least just try it. Also I would highly recommend looking at RUNNER or doing a full Edel fitting. 

Ok thanks! Time to go tinker.

Vice Golf Pro Plus

I’d definitely recommend trying the Runner. It’s done wonders for my putting. Have a look at the ongoing review with it 

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg King Tec 3 hybrid

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

LAB golf DF 3 is probably right in your wheel house, and its pretty much point and shoot. distance control and green reading is all you have to worry about. Ball will come off the face straight as an arrow pretty much every time. LAB just takes manipulating the face as a variable out of the equation. I found massive improvements when I switched over to a DF 2.1 and recently ordered a DF 3 since its much easier to look at and feels and sounds better. 

What's in my ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png Pioneer Bag:

Driver: ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png G430 Max 10k 9* (fujikra.png.8382fa5c997744d5f1292f9e8f7a8183.png Speeder NX 50s)

3 & 7 Woods: ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png G430 Max (fujikra.png.8382fa5c997744d5f1292f9e8f7a8183.png Speeder NX 60s/70s)

3 & 4 Hybrids: ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png G430 (KBS Tour Prototype Hybrid 75r) 

5 - PW Irons: mizuno-png-file-mizuno-logo-svg-1280-Ti.png.126a6588b3a078798a2ef7665da37175.png Pro 243 (KBS $ Taper 120s)

Wedges: cleveland-Ti.png.75bbccb15db6b4f1af15544ff6d82299.png RTX-6 50*/54* (mid) CBX&RTX Full-Face2 58*

Putter: lablogo_small_stacked.png.6384fc480e5c02d0a2a3ce2194f2fc8a.png DF 2.1 TPT shaft

Ball: Titleist ProV1

arccos.png.b5139ec0e8590e6219c1043121e31b84.png

42 minutes ago, G0al3d said:

LAB golf DF 3 is probably right in your wheel house, and its pretty much point and shoot. distance control and green reading is all you have to worry about. Ball will come off the face straight as an arrow pretty much every time. LAB just takes manipulating the face as a variable out of the equation. I found massive improvements when I switched over to a DF 2.1 and recently ordered a DF 3 since its much easier to look at and feels and sounds better. 

Definitely gonna try it out. 

Vice Golf Pro Plus

I'm also in the market to get a new market and was looking at the Cleveland HB range due to my budget. Does anyone on here know the difference between the HB Soft 2 and HB Soft milled? It's my understanding so far that there is not much difference but is there anyone out there that knows more about these 2 models? would love to hear your thoughts

2 hours ago, golfbandit206 said:

I'm also in the market to get a new market and was looking at the Cleveland HB range due to my budget. Does anyone on here know the difference between the HB Soft 2 and HB Soft milled? It's my understanding so far that there is not much difference but is there anyone out there that knows more about these 2 models? would love to hear your thoughts

they are the bargain lines from Cleveland.  The soft is a cast head and the milled is a cast head that has had some milling to give it a more polished/higher end look.   Might feel a little different but should perform the same.  

@TCUfrog Sorry to hear of your current putter woes.

A good place to start would be to take a look at the recent MyGolfSpy tests on Mallet and Blade putters and get a feel for what is available and the strengths and weaknesses of each model.

You are lucky that you are in the Atlanta, GA area.  

There are so many options for stores and fitting locations in the metro area that you should be able to try many different putters by just going to the various stores’ putter corral and rolling a few putts with any and all that you like the looks of.

As long as you are not struggling with technique or some other issue the list will probably get reduced pretty quickly based on how they look, feel and sound.

Once you get a few contenders you can narrow the list further to just those putters that allow you to aim correctly and roll your putts on your desired start line with the desired pace.

If you don’t want to do the trial and error putter hunt method then I would suggest you book a putter fitting.

It is on my bucket list to have an Edel putter fitting just for the experience and to get my specs and to understand my aim bias.  Plus, I really like the looks of the new Edel Array putter line.

Best wishes to you in your hunt.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

I played the LAB 2.1 the prior two years and really enjoyed it.  On top of being a good tool, it's a great conversation starter!

While I liked the 2.1, I didn't love it.  This year I bought the LAB Mezz1 Broomstick and I can't say enough good things about it.  Beautiful putter, but more importantly through 10 rounds this year I've improved strokes gained putting by more than a full stroke based on ShotScope data.  

You should definitely check out the LAB putters are part of your process.  

2 minutes ago, Mowine4me said:

I played the LAB 2.1 the prior two years and really enjoyed it.  On top of being a good tool, it's a great conversation starter!

While I liked the 2.1, I didn't love it.  This year I bought the LAB Mezz1 Broomstick and I can't say enough good things about it.  Beautiful putter, but more importantly through 10 rounds this year I've improved strokes gained putting by more than a full stroke based on ShotScope data.  

You should definitely check out the LAB putters are part of your process.  

I'm not really in the market for a new putter having recently bought one,

but looking at the L.A.B. web page after reading your post, 

they have some stuff that look's good for my putting style.

in flux

The thing I recommend is to find a very good putter fitter. The putter is the one club you use on every hole. Getting the specs, length, loft, and lie. You need to find the putter head you see it feeling right that fits the specs as well. But you do need to like the looks of it as well.

Callaway guy all the way!

@TCUfrog

Very stereotypical recommendation is Scotty Cameron. The feel is so true. There's no question in the quality and reputation you are getting with a Scotty. But, the putter is a club associated with "feel" more than any other club. I encourage you to test as many putters are you can at stores, pro shops, etc.. You never know what you might pick up and try that will "feel" more pure than any other putter to you. Putters can be so individualized.

Caleb C.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3

Fairway Woods: Titeist 915 3 wood & 3 hybrid 

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 4-PW with KBS tour shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, and 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

9 hours ago, CCorley99 said:

@TCUfrog

Very stereotypical recommendation is Scotty Cameron. The feel is so true. There's no question in the quality and reputation you are getting with a Scotty. But, the putter is a club associated with "feel" more than any other club. I encourage you to test as many putters are you can at stores, pro shops, etc.. You never know what you might pick up and try that will "feel" more pure than any other putter to you. Putters can be so individualized.

I've been trying out the queen b6 from Bettinardi and absolutely love the feel. Reminds me a lot of the scotty feel, but a little more forgiving because of the mid-mallet.

Vice Golf Pro Plus

On 5/17/2024 at 9:09 AM, TCUfrog said:

I've been trying out the queen b6 from Bettinardi and absolutely love the feel. Reminds me a lot of the scotty feel, but a little more forgiving because of the mid-mallet.

I'll need to look the queen b6. I'm thinking about switching to a mid-mallet. I love my Scotty Newport 2.5, but I have not been as consistent lately with the blade putter. Might be time to switch things up.

Caleb C.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3

Fairway Woods: Titeist 915 3 wood & 3 hybrid 

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 4-PW with KBS tour shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, and 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x