Lexi Thompson Announces Retirement

Posted (edited)

All I could think was.... Nooooooo! 

I am a huge Lexi Thompson fan and love to watch her play. 

Sad to see her retire but want to wish her the best.  

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her. 

https://www.uswomensopen.com/2024/articles/lexi-thompson-announces-retirement.html

Edited by TriciaPug

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

I just saw this on my FB feed and was shocked. She's not that old (29 I believe) and still hits the ball a ton.

I just saw something that mentioned injuries and mental/emotional exhaustion. I wonder what's next for her now.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

Posted (edited)

Just listened to her letter to Golf on IG 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7hKAW-xw0z/?

Edited by TriciaPug

Still one of the biggest draws in the women's game; pretty big loss there IMO. 

I can't imagine being in that grind starting so young and even lasting as long as she did.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Probably a good call at this point in her career. The last two years have not been good for her. She’s missing more cuts than cuts made. I am huge Lexi fan and like Ricky she gets it, but in reality she’s becoming somewhat irrelevant on the leaderboard and not making cuts isn’t going to get the fans in the gate on the weekend.

Really disappointed...I love watching her play. But I can't imagine the mental exhaustion, and potentially physical toil, that comes with being a professional athlete, so I get it.

Best wishes to Lexi moving forward!

Victor Bruhn

SW Washington State

She started so young, qualifying for a major at 12 years of age, winning her first tournament at 16.

I follow her religiously on IG and recalled this post from April, where she talks about not being 100% healthy

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6Bp6i5LiX2/?hl=en&img_index=1

Posted (edited)

I was lucky enough to spend 5 hours with Lexi at a K-F event in Sarasota, when she was following Curtis and I had a friend in the group.  I didn't realize who she was for the 1st 9 holes.

She's an absolute sweetheart in person and a pleasure to be around.  Stunningly beautiful and fit, personable, friendly and open to a fault.

Eric Cole was playing 2 groups behind us.  Lexi didn't know who he was or who his mother was. I commented to her, "Curtis' mom Laura Baugh, was Lexi Thompson before Lexi was".  She laughed and we talked about being a teenage (or in her case, a pre-teen) phenom.

She was extremely open about her struggles with the maelstrom that always seems to surround her and her living up to expectations.  I suspect the Grayson Murray situation had some impact on her timing.

I think she'll be back in a year or two and hopefully ready to live up to her potential as a frequent winner on the LPGA.

Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 6.21.25 AM.png

Edited by BrianL99

I am only guessing of course but I believe she was probably thinking about this for a while and the Grayson Murray situation affected the timing.  

She has been at the tournament and travel grind for a long time and probably felt pressure and responsibility to keep going at it to keep her business team employed.  

I hope she gets back to the place where the golf is fun and all the peripheral business stuff doesn't wear her down.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Even though she's retiring from full time, we'll see here in a few tournaments from time to time. 

I'm a big Lexi fan but at the same time I'm not surprised given her recent performance and the current field. It seems like in the LPGA by the time you're in your later 20's you're outperformed and overshadowed by the "youngster's" coming up. She's had a great run for the past 15 yrs  - hopefully a couple of years off and she'll be back. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I'm a big Lexi fan but at the same time I'm not surprised given her recent performance and the current field. It seems like in the LPGA by the time you're in your later 20's you're outperformed and overshadowed by the "youngster's" coming up. She's had a great run for the past 15 yrs  - hopefully a couple of years off and she'll be back. 

From what I understand, she's going to continue to play select tournaments. She just won't be full time. 

Makes sense to me. 

I am hoping this is not the trend for the future where these young pro athletes want to get out of their sport before they hit 30. As to Lexi, this doesn't really surprise me as to the way she has been playing and her body language the past couple years which have been challenging for her. Perhaps playing a limited schedule, at her age, will rekindle the passion and drive to return full time.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5 at the Flat Setting

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)

19 minutes ago, jolter1 said:

I am hoping this is not the trend for the future where these young pro athletes want to get out of their sport before they hit 30. As to Lexi, this doesn't really surprise me as to the way she has been playing and her body language the past couple years which have been challenging for her. Perhaps playing a limited schedule, at her age, will rekindle the passion and drive to return full time.

It’s not that uncommon in female sports especially those who started as young as she did. Lorena Ochoa is a good example. Unlike Lexi she was at the top when she left.

There’s others that have left at a young age 

2 hours ago, jolter1 said:

I hope that the openness of pressures and mental health for these athletes, especially those who start having a spotlight on them at such a young age, will help those coming into it to have a better, less pressure cooker, experience and longevity. 

The sad reality is that the inner circle for these athletes can do more for them, but social media is brutal at times. 

Most of what I see (in Lexi's case) on social is possitive, but every once in a while you see some jerk post something awful and......sadly that cuts deep. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's very interesting how well Lexi has played since announcing her retirement.

I think I've actually seen her smile a real smile. 😄

Maybe she should hypnotize herself into believing there is no gallery, other players or TV cameras and then she would be on the leaderboard every week.

Maybe Rory should try retiring from majors.... 😮

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.

20 minutes ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

It's very interesting how well Lexi has played since announcing her retirement.

I think I've actually seen her smile a real smile. 😄

Maybe she should hypnotize herself into believing there is no gallery, other players or TV cameras and then she would be on the leaderboard every week.

Maybe Rory should try retiring from majors.... 😮

Yes, the media has been mentioning that the announcement seems to have "freed her up" so to speak and its showing in her game.  Crazy to think that at 29 years old, the grind of tour play has brought her to semi-retirement... but then she started at age 15.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)